So many great maps gone, but we have Studzianki....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

ballyspringer #1 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 22:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22861 battles

I apologize in advance this is an absolute rant thread - but with how many fun maps have been removed (see the last post I made back in May) why do we just get boring maps like Studzianki instead?  I'll even take the campfest that Swamp (both iterations) was over that POS...  You can go to the J line, C line, or A line (to help the C line) and that's pretty much it.  Maybe I just don't play the game enough to truly appreciate that map (or appreciate it at all) but it really seems more and more maps are basically 2  places to fight, one of them being almost a planned stalemate until the other side is won or lost, and the rest is wide open no-mans land where a light might buzz around with a camping TD looking for anyone dumb enough to go there, and that's pretty much it.  In general I'm all about adding maps and not removing them - but I think this map should be an exception to that...

I realize you can "block" one map for a free player and two maps if you are a premium player - and although this is not my one currently blocked map I honestly like it less than the one I do have blocked.  I have Ensk currently blocked, but that's because I'm focusing on high tier grinding at the moment and I like that map for low and mid tiers, but to me it's too small for random tiers IX and X matches unless you're in a brawling medium.

Edited by ballyspringer, Oct 21 2019 - 22:59.

_Kradok_ #2 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 33260 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI
Studzianki…. at least it's not Paris.

rockbutcher #3 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22644 battles
  • [-OPS-] -OPS-
...at least it's not Ensk.

Volcanic_lobster_220 #4 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8654 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

Paris and Studzianki and Empire's Border are the worst maps in the game, i don't think anyone will argue that.

BRING BACK Swamp, Sacred Valley, Windstorm, and yes even Stalingrad, i had way more fun on those maps than the new ones.

WG's current map making strategies blatantly suck, and have the exact. same. things. in mind when they're being made

1: Flat so Russian tanks with no gun depression can dominate

2: Large [edited]space of open ground/no man's land that is basically useless

3: Sides dedicated to bush camping TD's and you WILL die if you try to push

4: No solid cover or arty-safe positions

I want to go back to the game as it was 3 years ago, a better game and more enjoyable to play.

RoIito #5 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17789 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_
Be glad it isn't Mines.

JakeTheMystic #6 Posted Oct 21 2019 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 24982 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
At least its not Glacier

tod914 #7 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 00:01

Major

• Players
  • 64852 battles
Minsk is the worst for me.  Can't stand that layout.  Common theme in most of the new maps now.  Central split with 75% dead space.  But in Minsk, it's compounded.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 00:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I was thinking, Paris, then Minsk, then I thought, wait, Komarin sucked pretty hard and Mittengard was an unmittengated disaster honestly.  

Studzianki is not that bad.  In fact, if you can move well enough, have decent camo and speed, you can 'surf' those ridges in the middle for some pretty decent spots.  The ditches or creek beds or whatever the hell they are, are also nice enough to allow most tanks to move undetected along most of their lengths.

Honestly, Studzianki isn't that bad of a map, though, yes, it is quite a lot of open space (as many of the latest maps seem to do as well) and there are places where you can see the tell tale signs of corridor map design to be sure.

I haven't blocked any maps.  As bad as I think a map is, I am dedicated to making it work for me as much as I can.  What, did you want an easy and repeatable win farm?  I don't.  Sucky maps make you a better player if you can learn to work them, then you can work anything.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

HOTA_CHATON #9 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 13573 battles
  • [MSG] MSG

View Post_Kradok_, on Oct 21 2019 - 16:00, said:

Studzianki…. at least it's not Paris.

This is true, it isn't.

SquishySupreme #10 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 00:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3672 battles
Empire's border is fine if you are not playing a heavy.  It's one of my favorite TD maps in fact.

Paris - yeah, it needs to be 3-4x the size.

Studzianki is fine as well - the side that pushes usually wins.  Also, the factory is a trap.  Don't even go there, especially since arty does so much less damage now.  Many maps have effective traps for heavies because by the time they push through, the game is already decided.  Lakeville also is like that - the pass is usually a meatgrinder of oblivion unless one side completely fails to defend it at all.  but 1-2 tanks is enough.

tanopasman62 #11 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 01:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 21375 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

The large ditch in the middle and the single lane factory that means high tier invincible turret heavies will just stand there staring at each other hampers any attempt of agressive play, it's a campy map by design and certainly one of the worst maps, although I'd take it over Prokhorovka, Tundra, or Airfield.

I can't deny I'm sad with most of my favorite maps (Stalingrad, Windstorm, Swamp...) gone, say what you want about them but they were much better than this or the other maps I mentioned.

Christojojo #12 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 01:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34838 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
Paris, Sh2tterman's Bay, and Ruinberg are my most hated maps to play. THough I refuse to blacklist anymap because it ruins the fun of RNG. (WHich I am sure all of you will agree is the best implemented feature in WoT.) Well that and the green type fasce in the forums.

Edited by Christojojo, Oct 22 2019 - 01:11.

ballyspringer #13 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 01:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22861 battles

View PostVolcanic_lobster_220, on Oct 21 2019 - 22:27, said:

Paris and Studzianki and Empire's Border are the worst maps in the game, i don't think anyone will argue that.

BRING BACK Swamp, Sacred Valley, Windstorm, and yes even Stalingrad, i had way more fun on those maps than the new ones.

WG's current map making strategies blatantly suck, and have the exact. same. things. in mind when they're being made

1: Flat so Russian tanks with no gun depression can dominate

2: Large [edited]space of open ground/no man's land that is basically useless

3: Sides dedicated to bush camping TD's and you WILL die if you try to push

4: No solid cover or arty-safe positions

I want to go back to the game as it was 3 years ago, a better game and more enjoyable to play.

I can't argue with any of this... most of the new maps all absolutely follow this method.  I miss being able to play a map 5-10 different ways at least depending on what the red team was doing.  Even swamp back when had multiple different typical endings to it depending on what happened, but the new maps all have the same one.  One "push side" wins (and what feels like 98% of the time it's the same side that determines the outcome) - then they flank the "stalemate side" while everyone avoids 75% of the map that is just dead space.

I don't want "easy to win" or "repeatable win farm" maps - I want the opposite!  I want maps where you never know where the enemy team will attack from, I want maps that people can really flank around and cause havoc - almost like a giant chess board where you are trying to outplay and use better tactics to win instead of the current here is the 1-2 points on the map that will determine the outcome almost every time.  Maybe my memory is skewed and I remember maps being more flexible years ago than they really were, but looking at old replays and map strategies I have saved for clan wars back when it was just the single global map I don't think I am.

Skofnung #14 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 01:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 35564 battles
Honestly, I wish they would throw ALL of the old maps back into the game.  Who really cares if they are not statistically balanced maps?  Over the long run, you should roughly balance out on getting the stronger vs weaker position, and during that time, you at least had more varied locations to play on.  Hell, if they added a bit of randomness to some of the features on the map, that could even be cool.  Give some of the main landmarks like 4-5 different locations and orientations that they can randomly spawn in.  At least then, you wouldn't load up into a battle, and have a clear cut "I need to go here" location in mind.  Buildings that have multiple positions they can be in, terrain that could include dramatically different elevation changes from one battle to the next etc...  Just something to break up the monotony.

CaptSpaulding55 #15 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 01:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34255 battles

A randomly made computer generated map would probably be better than most of the maps we're forced to play on now. They could be made to last a day, a week or a month. 

cavalry11 #16 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 02:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49795 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT
Too many good ideas WG will just ignore them. Hate there corridor maps needs no brains to play can only go certain ways how stupid.

tanopasman62 #17 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 03:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 21375 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

View PostChristojojo, on Oct 22 2019 - 01:11, said:

Paris, Sh2tterman's Bay, and Ruinberg are my most hated maps to play. THough I refuse to blacklist anymap because it ruins the fun of RNG. (WHich I am sure all of you will agree is the best implemented feature in WoT.) Well that and the green type fasce in the forums.

Fisherman's bay used to be such a good map, then they removed most of the cover from 1-2 line and added a lot of bushes into the city turning it into Prokhorovka 2

FunkyMonkey911 #18 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 06:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38366 battles
Although I like some maps more than others it mostly comes down to what tank I have at the time.  No Maps blocked just doing the best with what i am given,  No complaints no regrets.

Christojojo #19 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 04:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34838 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP

View Posttanopasman62, on Oct 21 2019 - 21:04, said:

Fisherman's bay used to be such a good map, then they removed most of the cover from 1-2 line and added a lot of bushes into the city turning it into Prokhorovka 2

I can not agree with you more.

DerJager #20 Posted Oct 29 2019 - 11:04

Major

• Players
  • 6121 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

It's those filthy Slavic dogs and their inferiority complex. Look no further. If Soviet tanks had had decent optics, any useful gun depression, and guns accurate enough to hit anything, and you'd have big open maps with lots of options.

Unfortunately that type of map absolutely murders poor commie peasant tanks, and so we will NEVER see maps like that again.

At least until someone beats their pride back down to rock bottom where it belongs (my money is on China). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users