My second ever scale model built: Tiger II

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Einzelganger7 #1 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:31

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8579 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD

Well, I am not much of creating new posts and stuff. But I started into this of building scale models since around six months ago so I just wanted to show my second model I've built, I still have many things to learn but I am proud with the result, heh.

Spoiler

Timeline:

Spoiler

TheNamesRoulette #2 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24989 battles
  • [XCORP] XCORP

Really nice work.  I especially like the texturing and paint blend.  Worthy of display for sure.  :medal:

HOTA_CHATON #3 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 13611 battles
  • [MSG] MSG
Nice work.  I thought retirement would allow me to slow down enough to do the Sherman tank that I bought.  Boy was I wrong.  You did a good job, what I can see.

Einzelganger7 #4 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 21:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8579 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD

View PostTheNamesRoulette, on Oct 22 2019 - 13:39, said:

Really nice work.  I especially like the texturing and paint blend.  Worthy of display for sure.  :medal:

Thank you, I was skeptical about how it would look after the weathering effect and chipping but it went well I guess, still there's so much to learn so I'll try to improve. lol

View PostHOTA_CHATON, on Oct 22 2019 - 13:43, said:

Nice work.  I thought retirement would allow me to slow down enough to do the Sherman tank that I bought.  Boy was I wrong.  You did a good job, what I can see.

Indeed, in my case I got it right after my vacations from school started during June and I wasn't aware that building a 1/35 model would be kind of time consuming, it took me like a month and a half to build/paint, and then after I got back to school from time to time I was adding details but at least was an enjoyable expericence so I hope you can get the time for your Sherman. Thank you.

tod914 #5 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 22:11

Major

• Players
  • 64957 battles

That tank turned out really nice!  Great job.  New to the airbrush as well? 

Youtube is loaded with plastic model kit builds.  Top notch content.  They cover their builds and painting techinques in great detail.  Might be worth checking out sometime. 

Einzelganger7 #6 Posted Oct 22 2019 - 23:46

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8579 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD

View Posttod914, on Oct 22 2019 - 15:11, said:

That tank turned out really nice!  Great job.  New to the airbrush as well? 

Youtube is loaded with plastic model kit builds.  Top notch content.  They cover their builds and painting techinques in great detail.  Might be worth checking out sometime. 

Thanks and actually yes, I am literally new in all this about modelling and painting, I checked some videos of builds and stuff but they were straightforward into making the models without much explanation on how to do it properly so I will check for sure some tutorials and stuff to improve for the next build.

KRZYBooP #7 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 16:41

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4121 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostEinzelganger7, on Oct 22 2019 - 13:31, said:

Well, I am not much of creating new posts and stuff. But I started into this of building scale models since around six months ago so I just wanted to show my second model I've built, I still have many things to learn but I am proud with the result, heh.

Spoiler

Timeline:

Spoiler

Be sure to submit this to From the Forge at From_the_Forge@wargaming.net

rockbutcher #8 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 20:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22644 battles
  • [-OPS-] -OPS-
WOW, excellent job.  I've been thinking of getting back into models and teaching my young son how to make them.  Maybe I should sooner than later.

scott424 #9 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 23:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 19643 battles
  • [1-CAB] 1-CAB
That looks really good! one thing i do when painting is after the black base coat i add some white in the middle of hatches and panels, makes the paint a bit different in certain areas. Here's some pics showing the highlights and some weathering 
Spoiler

Also what paint did you use?

tod914 #10 Posted Oct 26 2019 - 05:00

Major

• Players
  • 64957 battles
Scott, seems like you know your way around model building quite well.  What paints are better to work with, acrylic/water based or enamel?  After watching a a bunch of Youtubes, I'm amazed at all the layering that is done on this kits.  The end results are pretty amazing.

scott424 #11 Posted Oct 26 2019 - 09:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 19643 battles
  • [1-CAB] 1-CAB

View Posttod914, on Oct 25 2019 - 20:00, said:

Scott, seems like you know your way around model building quite well.  What paints are better to work with, acrylic/water based or enamel?  After watching a a bunch of Youtubes, I'm amazed at all the layering that is done on this kits.  The end results are pretty amazing.

I use mostly acrylic paints, basically i spray the model with flat black then flat white to highlight after that it gets the base coat of paint in this case it was a dark yellow. Once the paint has dried for a while i spray the whole model with a coat of Testors dullcote (you could also use Tamiya's clear coat but I've heard it eats decals) its a lacquer which basically seals (and dulls) the paint under it so i can then weather it. For weathering i use different shades of brown and streak that up and down the surface (except for on top of flat surfaces then i dab it around) with some acrylic thinner to move the paint around easier. I've also added rust colours to this tank because it is going to be abandoned but if you are building a tank in use i wouldn't rust it this much. I know some people use oil paints for weathering but I've never had any problems with the acrylics I use. There are some really good videos about weathering on youtube, I would check out Night Shift on youtube he did a whole series on how to weather a Chi Ri, lots of good tips there.

Strolch_ #12 Posted Oct 27 2019 - 20:53

Private

• Players
  • 6771 battles
  • [REV-R] REV-R
Nice work. You should check out AMPS (Armor Modelers Preservation Society). www.amps-armor.org . Also, on YouTube there is a channel called Night Shift. He does some great tutorials to advance your skills...That is just the very tip of the ice berg. There are a lot of great resources out there for scale model building.

Einzelganger7 #13 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 17:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8579 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD

View PostKRZYBooP, on Oct 25 2019 - 09:41, said:

Be sure to submit this to From the Forge at From_the_Forge@wargaming.net

Thanks, I will. Though I am sure I will not win, heh.

View Postrockbutcher, on Oct 25 2019 - 13:05, said:

WOW, excellent job.  I've been thinking of getting back into models and teaching my young son how to make them.  Maybe I should sooner than later.

Thanks, even if I am just starting I can already say it is with no doubt an awesome hobby so I hope your son can apreciate it as well when you teach him in the future.

View Postscott424, on Oct 25 2019 - 16:37, said:

That looks really good! one thing i do when painting is after the black base coat i add some white in the middle of hatches and panels, makes the paint a bit different in certain areas. Here's some pics showing the highlights and some weathering 
Spoiler

Also what paint did you use?

Oh, sorry for the delay. Indeed, I've seen some modelers that make such a thing after the black coat but I was not aware they would impact that much on the final look, it is something that will be done for sure on my next model because it looks good, like slight shadowing effects. As for the paint, I received help from a relative who works at painting cars so they were self made tones so no idea about the paint codes, though what I know is that they are acrylics. In fact I still have some of the spare paint he made.

Spoiler

View PostHooligan_Pete_, on Oct 27 2019 - 13:53, said:

Nice work. You should check out AMPS (Armor Modelers Preservation Society). www.amps-armor.org . Also, on YouTube there is a channel called Night Shift. He does some great tutorials to advance your skills...That is just the very tip of the ice berg. There are a lot of great resources out there for scale model building.

Awesome! That is exactly what I wanted to find. While I was making this Tiger II I tried to follow the building/effect techniques used by the channel Andy's Hobby Headquarters, he does nice models with simple process but sadly he doesn't make tutorials so he just explains from time to time how to make speciffic effects but not on detail. So these recomendations you brought to me will help me a lot, thank you so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users