Linux & Gamecenter

11 replies to this topic

zmaint #1 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 19:25

Major

• Players
  • 11438 battles

Was able to get this game working again, posting here in case someone else has same issues.  I'm running Pop!_OS (Ubuntu based).

Use the current install script from lutris.net.   Old wot launcher will appear, then will automatically force you to upgrade to gamecenter.  Install it.  It will not be readable or usable but it will install.   Exit.

Right click on the World of Tanks in your lutris library.  Click winetricks.  Install the corefonts and tahoma packages.   Let it finish.

You can also add Feral's gamemode to the system options environmental settings to give a small performance boost.   Add key "LD_Preload"  Add data "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0"  (You may have to search for the path if you installed in a different location.   Feral gamemode package is on gethub if you need it. 

Forgot to add, you should change the target in the lutris game options to point to the new launcher "wgc_api.exe"  You can also point it to the 64bit version as well.   If you hate the launcher (which is both bloated and full of information gathering crap), you can point it directly to the game executable (again either the 64 or 32 works).   You would either launch the gamecenter directly, or by changing the target, if the client needed updated.

Gamecenter should now launch and be usable.   Game plays great, 0 issues.   I get 60-70 FPS on max settings (on the 32 bit client, up to 85 on the 64 bit client), which is about a 20% improvement over what I got previous in Win 7 on the same hardware. (Old I7 950 3ghz, 12gb ram, GTX970).  

EDIT 10/27/19 Lutris has updated their install script. I have not tested it, but I assume it was to accommodate the new gamecenter.

Edited by zmaint, Oct 27 2019 - 13:16.

black_colt #2 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 20:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 5675 battles

View Postzmaint, on Oct 25 2019 - 10:25, said:

Was able to get this game working again, posting here in case someone else has same issues.  I'm running Pop!_OS (Ubuntu based).

Use the current install script from lutris.net.   Old wot launcher will appear, then will automatically force you to upgrade to gamecenter.  Install it.  It will not be readable or usable but it will install.   Exit.

Right click on the World of Tanks in your lutris library.  Click winetricks.  Install the corefonts and tahoma packages.   Let it finish.

You can also add Feral's gamemode to the system options environmental settings to give a small performance boost.   Add key "LD_Preload"  Add data "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0"  (You may have to search for the path if you installed in a different location.   Feral gamemode package is on gethub if you need it. 

Gamecenter should now launch and be usable.   Game plays great, 0 issues.   I get 60-70 FPS on max settings, which is about a 20% improvement over what I got previous in Win 7 on the same hardware. (Old I7 950 3ghz, 12gb ram, GTX970).  

This might be a good thread - http://forum.worldof...0#entry11561450 - to post to as well.

Edited by black_colt, Oct 25 2019 - 20:59.

zmaint #3 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 21:02

Major

• Players
  • 11438 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Oct 25 2019 - 19:58, said:

This might be a good thread - http://forum.worldof...0#entry11561450 - to post to as well.

Thank you!  I just dropped a link in there.  Us Linux gamers need to stick together.  Once Windows gamers realize Linux performance is in a lot of cases better.... and the OS isn't busy spending 25% of its resources spying on you.. maybe we can get some more converts:)

HOTA_CHATON #4 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 14753 battles
  • [TRED] TRED

View Postzmaint, on Oct 25 2019 - 12:25, said:

Forgot to add, you should change the target in the lutris game options to point to the new launcher "wgc_api.exe"  You can also point it to the 64bit version as well.   If you hate the launcher (which is both bloated and full of information gathering crap), you can point it directly to the game executable (again either the 64 or 32 works).   You would either launch the gamecenter directly, or by changing the target, if the client needed updated.

Gamecenter should now launch and be usable.   Game plays great, 0 issues.   I get 60-70 FPS on max settings (on the 32 bit client, up to 85 on the 64 bit client), which is about a 20% improvement over what I got previous in Win 7 on the same hardware. (Old I7 950 3ghz, 12gb ram, GTX970).  

I have been seriously thinking about switching from Windows to Linux.  What are the benefits/pros VS the hazards/cons of doing this?  Thanks.

PS: Please get back with me, when you can.

Shoot me a PM.  Thanks

Edited by HOTA_CHATON, Oct 25 2019 - 22:00.

zmaint #5 Posted Oct 26 2019 - 01:04

Major

• Players
  • 11438 battles

I'd suggest something easy to start that supports gaming well out of the box.  I use Pop!_OS and like it, has native graphics drivers built into it out of the box, includes steam.  Linux Mint and Ubuntu both have good support.  Honestly if you're doing the 50000 mile view of Linux, the only real difference between all the distros is what packages/desktop environments come with it out of the box.    You can almost put anything on any of the different distributions.  I'd advise getting a live CD and taking a distro for a test drive.  Mint, Solus, and Ubuntu all have good live CD's.  You can't install anything in that environment, but you can get a feel for the operating system.  Pop is great but doesn't really have a good live CD IMO, they default to wanting to install (they are a PC manufacturer and it's their home OS so it's more for system builders, pretty good OS IMO), and it uses the Gnome desktop out of the box (bit too Fisher Price looking for me - but you can change it, I prefer KDE).

Basically for gaming, you want to do the following:

#1 Go to www.protondb.com, www.lutris.net, www.playonlinux.com, wineHQ and make sure all your favorite games are on there and playable.   I'd say 85% of everything I play was well supported ( I have 371 games in my Steam library alone). In fact a good 80% of them run better than windows.  Proton is the Valve project to provide Linux runability for all Steam games.  So far the only real troublemakers are those using third party anti cheat programs that either won't cooperate or are out of business.  Most everything else runs.  Lutris and Playonlinux are scripted installers, you just install the Lutris or Playonlinux program, click the install for the game you want and it does the rest (Lutris you click install from their website, PoL is in their program).  You'd also be surprised how many native Linux games there are that don't require you to do anyting... Xcom2 is native!

Install Lutris

Follow the Lutris Wiki install info, that will get you your most current graphic card drivers and the vulkan libraries.

Install Steam

Install Playonlinux

Install Feral Interactive's Gamemode

When I say install, that's pretty easy usually.  Just go to the built in package manager and type in Steam and click install.  On a lot of the distros it will install all the dependencies for you and you don't have to do anything else.  The Lutris wiki will have you entering some terminal commands though, pretty easy cut and paste stuff.

Lastly, jump on Reddit and join some of the Linux sub forums.   There are a lot of helpful people on there.  I'd recommend linux gaming, linux4noobs, linuxquestions.    Also if you want some good video help, Chris Titus Tech has some good youtube videos on how to game on linux, and they are actually current.   

Edited by zmaint, Oct 26 2019 - 14:48.

black_colt #6 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 16:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 5675 battles

View PostHOTA_CHATON, on Oct 25 2019 - 12:50, said:

I have been seriously thinking about switching from Windows to Linux.  What are the benefits/pros VS the hazards/cons of doing this?  Thanks.

PS: Please get back with me, when you can.

Shoot me a PM.  Thanks

Benefits/Pros

As mentioned in previous posts you can test-drive from bootable media - e.g., USB Stick Drive. Generally there is better support for older/legacy hardware.  Generally a Linux distribution runs faster on older/legacy hardware.

For playing World of Tanks the Linux Mint distribution seems to work well and IIRC is based on Ubuntu.  Pop_OS! is also based on Ubuntu which probably why it has been reported to run World of Tank well.

When you choose a distribution you can dual-boot which will allow you to keep MS Windows for when you need it.

Hazards/Cons

There are many distributions of Linux [the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries] and desktop environments [what you see on the screen] which make choosing one difficult. 

Games based on MS DirectX can be difficult as you need to install Wine to get them to work.

Some hardware vendors - e.g., NVIDIA - require proprietary drivers and may not be optimized for Linux.

Edited by black_colt, Oct 28 2019 - 16:51.

black_colt #7 Posted Oct 28 2019 - 16:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 5675 battles

View Postzmaint, on Oct 25 2019 - 12:02, said:

Thank you!  I just dropped a link in there.  Us Linux gamers need to stick together.  Once Windows gamers realize Linux performance is in a lot of cases better.... and the OS isn't busy spending 25% of its resources spying on you.. maybe we can get some more converts:)

I think we should be cogent, concise, and relevant about the advantages of Linux as well as being brutally honest when something does not work.  The goal is to give individuals choices so that they can make the best choice for the task at hand.

Not sure it spends 25% of its resources spying on you  - however I suspect that most MS Windows users are not aware that Microsoft has a key-logger that is active all the time so that they can improve usability.

Edited by black_colt, Oct 28 2019 - 16:51.

zhymm #8 Posted Dec 24 2019 - 04:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 39675 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

Well, I'm stuck.  I got an SSD for my main computer, planning to use it for the OS (Manjaro linux) and selected programs. Then keep the HD for data storage (mostly image files from my digital astrophotography hobby).  And I planned to just re-install WoT on the SSD via my working wine methods.

And it's not working.  The update via wgc keeps crashing.  So, I tried zmaint's Lutris method cited above.  Same deal, crashes when wgc client tries to update and run WoT.  Tried Playonlinux ... you guessed it, same outcome.  I'm about to pull what little bit of hair I have left on my head clean out.  I even tried other linuxen (Lubuntu and Mint so far). The game was running fine before the change.

The funny thing is I can install and run World of Warships via Lutris just fine.

I'm about googled out looking for a solution.  If any of you kind souls reading this have advice or ideas to share (and no snarky comments about installing MS Windows, please) I'd certainly appreciate it.

Then again, this may be a blessing in disguise.  If I can not get WoT running I'll simply walk away and get my life back, :P

OMZ

edit:  Got the Gaming Center and WoT installed.  But the game crashes on launch.  Back to sussing out the problem.

edit2: Well, managed to get the game up and running (sort of) with Lutris.  Even then it occasionally crashes going into battle and going back to garage from battle.  And that's with a vanilla client (no mods, can't blame them).  Speaking of mods, in the past I would install most of them by using wine with the .exe file.  For some reason (unrelated to WoT) that I have not resolved that process is not working now.  It may be the same thing that keeps my 'pure' wine attempts to run the game (as in the past) from working, as well.  The adventure continues.  I'm beginning to think that I derive more pleasure from getting the game to work on the linux than I get from the game itself.

Edited by zhymm, Dec 26 2019 - 16:25.

zhymm #9 Posted Dec 29 2019 - 20:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 39675 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

OK, I stepped back after days of frustration with Manjaro plus Lutris and decided to try some other linux distributions.  I had tried using Mint earlier, without success.  A few folks elsewhere had mentioned using Pop!_OS and MX Linux to run WoT with success.  MX Linux is based on antiX (which is based on Debian stable).  antiX is  a distro I had used for a while several years ago and liked.  So I planned to give MX Linux a try.

Well, lo and behold, once I had MX set up with Wine and a few .dll's,  WoT installed and ran as smooth as warm butter.  No Lutris, no PlayOnLinux.  Just my straight up Wine install (described in another thread ... http://forum.worldof...8#entry11949158).

I am a happy camper, once more.

OMZ

Edited by zhymm, Dec 29 2019 - 20:29.

Verirrter #10 Posted Jan 17 2020 - 19:59

Private

• -Players-
  • 1067 battles

Hello there!

In case anyone else has problems with WoT's Game Center on Linux, there is a little install guide in European community WoT forum:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/730239-how-to-wot-on-linux/

Beurre_De_Raie #11 Posted Jul 17 2020 - 13:02

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 29234 battles
  • [NORFC] NORFC

I know, old thread but I just want to pass on how I did to get my WoT working in Linux, I tried with Linux Mint 20 and Pop! OS 20.04 and I got the same result.

Lutris install:

# sudo apt install lutris

If using LM, you will need to do the following:

# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get install lutris

When the install is complete, start Lutris.

Do a search for Wargaming, click on it and select your area, click on install Wargaming Game Center

Accept the install of Wine Mono Installer, Wine Gecko Installer X2

Upon install completion, in Lutris, click on WGC and click PLAY, this will start the WGC application.

In WGC, go to setting and set your language, click save (orange button). In setting general, I only have the following checked: Exit Game Center when I close the main window. In setting Updates, unclick the Download updates in advance and click on no uploading. In setting Auto-Updates, nothing should be selected in there. Now that this is done, go click on World of Tanks, select SD or HD, leave the install directory as is and click install. If it’s asking you to download Direct X, do not enable it. When the install will be complete, do not start WoT but instead, click and close WGC.

Go back to Lutris, click on: Kill All Wine Processes.

In Lutris, click on add game.

Click on show advanced options.

Game info tab:

- Name: World of Tanks

- Runner: Wine

Game options tab:

- Executable: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks_NA/WorldOfTanks.exe

- Wine prefix: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center

- Prefix architecture: 64-bit

Runner options tab:

- Wine version: lutris-5.7-5-x86_64

- Enable DXVK: enabled

- DXVK version: 1.7L

- Windowed: enabled

- Virtual desktop resolution: set your native resolution

- DLL overrides: KEY: xaudio2_7 VALUE: native,builtin

- Autoconfigure joypads: enabled

- Create a sandbox for wine folders: enabled

System options tab:

- Default installation folder: /home/[USER]/Games

- Prefer system libraries: enabled

- Terminal application: /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

- Environment variables:

KEY: DXVK_HUD VALUE: 0

KEY: __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE VALUE: 1

KEY: __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH VALUE: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center

- Xephyr Fullscreen: enabled

***Change [USER] for the username that you have logged in with***

Click Save and go back in Lutris, click on WoT and enjoy the game.

ISSUES: If you Alt+Tab when in the game, you will loose the ability to use your consumables (1 to 6 that I could experience) and the mouse will be stucked at the middle of the screen. Usually a simple game closure and a restart fixes the issue.

I was able to add some mods by clicking on WoT and on the right side it will says: Run EXE inside wine prefix.

I'm not a Linux Guru but this is how I got mine working.

System information from Lutris:

[System]

Arch: x86_64

Kernel: 5.4.0-7634-generic

Desktop: X-Cinnamon

Display Server: x11

[CPU]

Vendor: GenuineIntel

Model: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz

Physical cores: 8

Logical cores: 8

[Memory]

RAM: 31.3 GB

Swap: 32.0 GB

[Graphics]

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

OpenGL Core: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 440.100

Vulkan: Supported

Edited by Beurre_De_Raie, Jul 26 2020 - 14:38.

GenAlexeyev #12 Posted Jul 27 2020 - 21:59

Private

• Players
  • 3608 battles
  • [ROGER] ROGER

View PostBeurre_De_Raie, on Jul 17 2020 - 12:02, said:

I know, old thread but I just want to pass on how I did to get my WoT working in Linux, I tried with Linux Mint 20 and Pop! OS 20.04 and I got the same result.

Lutris install:

# sudo apt install lutris

If using LM, you will need to do the following:

# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
# sudo apt-get update
# sudo apt-get install lutris

When the install is complete, start Lutris.

Do a search for Wargaming, click on it and select your area, click on install Wargaming Game Center

Accept the install of Wine Mono Installer, Wine Gecko Installer X2

Upon install completion, in Lutris, click on WGC and click PLAY, this will start the WGC application.

In WGC, go to setting and set your language, click save (orange button). In setting general, I only have the following checked: Exit Game Center when I close the main window. In setting Updates, unclick the Download updates in advance and click on no uploading. In setting Auto-Updates, nothing should be selected in there. Now that this is done, go click on World of Tanks, select SD or HD, leave the install directory as is and click install. If it’s asking you to download Direct X, do not enable it. When the install will be complete, do not start WoT but instead, click and close WGC.

Go back to Lutris, click on: Kill All Wine Processes.

In Lutris, click on add game.

Click on show advanced options.

Game info tab:

- Name: World of Tanks

- Runner: Wine

Game options tab:

- Executable: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center/drive_c/Games/World_of_Tanks_NA/WorldOfTanks.exe

- Wine prefix: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center

- Prefix architecture: 64-bit

Runner options tab:

- Wine version: lutris-5.7-5-x86_64

- Enable DXVK: enabled

- DXVK version: 1.7L

- Windowed: enabled

- Virtual desktop resolution: set your native resolution

- DLL overrides: KEY: xaudio2_7 VALUE: native,builtin

- Autoconfigure joypads: enabled

- Create a sandbox for wine folders: enabled

System options tab:

- Default installation folder: /home/[USER]/Games

- Prefer system libraries: enabled

- Terminal application: /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

- Environment variables:

KEY: DXVK_HUD VALUE: 0

KEY: __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE VALUE: 1

KEY: __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH VALUE: /home/[USER]/Games/wargaming-game-center

- Xephyr Fullscreen: enabled

***Change [USER] for the username that you have logged in with***

Click Save and go back in Lutris, click on WoT and enjoy the game.

ISSUES: If you Alt+Tab when in the game, you will loose the ability to use your consumables (1 to 6 that I could experience) and the mouse will be stucked at the middle of the screen. Usually a simple game closure and a restart fixes the issue.

I was able to add some mods by clicking on WoT and on the right side it will says: Run EXE inside wine prefix.

I'm not a Linux Guru but this is how I got mine working.

System information from Lutris:

[System]

Arch: x86_64

Kernel: 5.4.0-7634-generic

Desktop: X-Cinnamon

Display Server: x11

[CPU]

Vendor: GenuineIntel

Model: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz

Physical cores: 8

Logical cores: 8

[Memory]

RAM: 31.3 GB

Swap: 32.0 GB

[Graphics]

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

OpenGL Core: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100

OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 440.100

Vulkan: Supported

Thank you so much for these indications! Before reading your post I could install the Game Center (through the Lutris installing scripts for the Wargaming Game center) but the game client would crash on startup.

My system: AMD CPU and GPU.

Reply to this topic

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users