Spelling Police

Dyslexia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

PuddleSplasher #1 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 14:42

Major

• Players
  • 39637 battles

I read an article yesterday from a few people suffering from the condition known as Dyslexia whereby they often get words mixed up when writing eg.

• Plan was written as plane
  • Bored as board
  • Army as Mary

Though I could provide you with many examples I wanted to keep this short and sweet. Some may say that a spellchecker is an option but how do you know your chosen word is wrong when it's still a correct word. Using a dictionary won't work as the person with the condition won't understand that a word is incorrect in the first instance.

Now a better person that can easily see the mistake will generally bypass the grammatically incorrect word and substitute it for the correct spelling and just carry on reading.

That is in direct comparison to the Troll or Spelling Police who behave in a negative manner towards such posts.

The outcome was a Hashtag suggestion. It was indicated that a simple phrase could be adopted by the server ie WarGaming that would allow a player to declare from the outset that they have dyslexia eg.

• #iamdyslexic
  • #dyslexicplayer
  • #dyslexics are great

The Hashtag would then be inserted at the start of any post so that the players not suffering from Dyslexia would clearly understand that the person posting has Dyslexia and in turn this should reduce the amount of Trolling. Afterall if a Troll cannot understand a simple Hashtag then at the very least you and I call out the Troll and with the assistance of WarGaming who implement the Hashtag will have reasonable cause to take action.

I understand there will be Trolls that want to Troll for the sheer amusement of it but directing it against someones disability is I am sure you will agree WRONG!

Darkbee2Bee #2 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:36

Major

• Players
  • 36629 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
People could put something in their signature if they want to; hashtag or whatever.  No need to keep typing the same thing over and over.  Either way, people are going to leap on mistakes; it's part of what our flawed species loves to do.

cavalry11 #3 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 50191 battles
You cant fix stupid

MagillaGuerilla #4 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 25913 battles
There, they're, their, it's not that big of a problem.

Markd73 #5 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:44

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

I think pointing out that you are dyslexic is a fair compromise. 

According to this source (http://www.ldonline.org/article/10784/), then between 5-15% of US adults are dyslexic.

What about the other 85%? Is it OK to point out their errors? If not then why not?

I for one like to have my errors pointed out. It is how you improve at anything. Acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them.

FrontenacDuVandoo #6 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17919 battles
  • [BBI2] BBI2

What if the person correcting has OCD and can't help themselves in doing the correction, can they also use a hashtag to justify their behavior?

You may reduce the amount of grammar police, and the odd person who is genuinely trying to help someone improve but isn't aware of the writer's condition.

But trolls are people who are disrespectful on purpose. That's the whole point of trolling. That won't stop them.

tod914 #7 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:44

Major

• Players
  • 65435 battles

View Postcavalry11, on Oct 30 2019 - 09:38, said:

You cant fix stupid

You forgot your hashtag.

Markd73 #8 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:47

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Oct 30 2019 - 14:42, said:

It is if you have to write a lot for your job.

Panzerkind #9 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 37580 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Grate idea. I really lick it. 

nuclearguy931 #10 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 82792 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

View PostPanzerkind, on Oct 30 2019 - 10:18, said:

Grate idea. I really lick it. 

We heard that from a few sources.....

Nice way to give the uneducated a way out by saying they have a medical condition......lol.

Panzerkind #11 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 37580 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Postnuclearguy931, on Oct 30 2019 - 09:55, said:

Nice way to give the uneducated a way out by saying they have a medical condition......lol.

PuddleSplasher #12 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 17:41

Major

• Players
  • 39637 battles

View Postcavalry11, on Oct 30 2019 - 14:38, said:

You cant fix stupid

A prime example of Troll stupidity.

Not that I am a Troll but should we further investigate any post made by CAVALRY or the bot numbers associated with such a name ie Cavalry11 as we clearly see a demonstration of their own stupidity against players with Dyslexia.

Trolls will always troll until called out.

Therefore a single phrase as I described above may intimate that someone has Dyslexia such as Cavalry11.

It is manageble but is the Troll willing to accept help?

Afterall Cavalry11 could have been a misinterpretation of the CALVARY,

• Calvary is a proper noun that refers to the hillside on which Jesus was crucified. Cavalry is a group of highly mobile army troops.

So Cavalry, do you see how one can make you feel stupid though you posted in your eyes correctly yet could be misconstrued as incorrectly by others?

Dyslexia is not to be scorned upon and I am sure this forum is full of people that suffer at the hands of bullies like yourself and for what??? A few sniggers and a laugh?

PuddleSplasher #13 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 17:57

Major

• Players
  • 39637 battles

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Oct 30 2019 - 14:42, said:

Sadly Dyslexia confuses you.

The words you have chosen are homophones meaning they have the same pronunciation (sound) but differ in meaning. This is something that the vast majority of people naturally do. Though I do not see you correct their, yes their errors.

As can be seen the Trolls are clearly demonstrating their ignorance of a subject that is prevalent within this forum of ours which is clearly inclusive of all people.

It is the combined mixture of the same letters in the word that confuse as previously stated.

Vulcan_Spectre #14 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 17:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5967 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Oct 30 2019 - 08:42, said:

I read an article yesterday from a few people suffering from the condition known as Dyslexia whereby they often get words mixed up when writing eg.

• Plan was written as plane
  • Bored as board
  • Army as Mary

Though I could provide you with many examples I wanted to keep this short and sweet. Some may say that a spellchecker is an option but how do you know your chosen word is wrong when it's still a correct word. Using a dictionary won't work as the person with the condition won't understand that a word is incorrect in the first instance.

Now a better person that can easily see the mistake will generally bypass the grammatically incorrect word and substitute it for the correct spelling and just carry on reading.

That is in direct comparison to the Troll or Spelling Police who behave in a negative manner towards such posts.

The outcome was a Hashtag suggestion. It was indicated that a simple phrase could be adopted by the server ie WarGaming that would allow a player to declare from the outset that they have dyslexia eg.

• #iamdyslexic
  • #dyslexicplayer
  • #dyslexics are great

The Hashtag would then be inserted at the start of any post so that the players not suffering from Dyslexia would clearly understand that the person posting has Dyslexia and in turn this should reduce the amount of Trolling. Afterall if a Troll cannot understand a simple Hashtag then at the very least you and I call out the Troll and with the assistance of WarGaming who implement the Hashtag will have reasonable cause to take action.

I understand there will be Trolls that want to Troll for the sheer amusement of it but directing it against someones disability is I am sure you will agree WRONG!

I'm dyslexic, but I do my best at spelling

venom286 #15 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:02

Captain

• Players
  • 43963 battles

other examples I have not been to school in 18 years and i live in the south where the English language is butchered and are school system is a joke do I see all the mistakes i make and all the commas and periods i missed yes but alot of the time i am to tired and to lazy where i just write like this  

Another example is I have not been to school in 18 years, and I live in the south where the English language is butchered ,and are school system is a joke.Do I see all the mistakes I make,and all the commas ,and periods I missed,Yes but a'lot of the time I am to tired,and to lazy to write out everything as perfect as I can .So a'lot of time I write in the manner you see up top.

Ps.I am sure there are errors in the second example as well sue me 

Edited by venom286, Oct 30 2019 - 18:54.

Vulcan_Spectre #16 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5967 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

View Postvenom286, on Oct 30 2019 - 12:02, said:

other examples I have not been to school in 18 years and i live in the south where the English language is butchered and are school system is a joke do I see all the mistakes i make and all the commas and periods i missed yes but alot of the time i am to tired and to lazy where i just write like this  

Other example is I have not been to school in 18 years, and I live in the south where the English language is butchered ,and are school system is a joke.Do I see all the mistakes I make,and all the commas ,and periods I missed,Yes but a'lot of the time I am to tired,and to lazy to write out everything as perfect as I can .So a'lot of time I write in the manner you see up top.

Ps.I am sure there are errors in the second example as well sue me 

Fix you're words nerd

venom286 #17 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:56

Captain

• Players
  • 43963 battles

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Oct 30 2019 - 12:04, said:

Fix you're words nerd

:(

highex #18 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 20:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24905 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

I am not dyslexic, but it runs in the family. I am very familiar with it. 

An aunt who was dyslexic always said "Until you can properly pronounce, spell, and define a word, it does not belong to you and you should not be allowed to use it".

Klaatu_Nicto #19 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 04:34

Major

• Players
  • 44051 battles

The spelling police are harmless but the phone cops were another story in their day. Thankfully the government breaking up Ma Bell put a stop to their tyranny.

Gothraul #20 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 11:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 2441 battles

Not everyone is cut exactly from the same block and with the exact same neurology but as always despite middle or old age people have yet to realize this even though this is not a new problem by any means.

By some standards displayed on this forum he would be an idiot. :sceptic:

http://dyslexiahelp....s/george-patton

Block Quote

It wasn’t until General Patton was eleven years old that he learned to read and write, and his years of schooling prior to West Point were by no means good ones. He did poorly in most subjects growing up, coined “lazy” and an “idiot” by his classmates. Patton never let his poor reading and writing skills affect his drive and hope of becoming a United States general though, and even once told his nephew that spelling a word the same way over and over again is nothing special, “but it calls for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do”.

Also tagged with Dyslexia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users