Dyslexia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

MissCreant #21 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 21:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3372 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

While I have sympathy for people who suffer from this, language is important.  Trying to be as correct as possible in your writing is important.  If you write like a peasant, people will question your intellectual rigor and I agree with this.  If you confuse 'lose' with 'loose', for example, it most likely means you do not think very deeply.

I like the idea of putting your disorder in the signature or indicating it at the top of your post so people can know about it before they start reading what you have written and can give you appropriate slack.

vonkevin #22 Posted Nov 01 2019 - 01:24

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles
"It's a poor, and unimaginative mind, that can only think of one way to spell a word."  ;)

BlinkingDuck #23 Posted Nov 01 2019 - 02:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 409 battles

View Postnuclearguy931, on Oct 30 2019 - 16:55, said:

We heard that from a few sources.....

Nice way to give the uneducated a way out by saying they have a medical condition......lol.

You say this as a joke but is amazing how many different 'medical' conditions there are to cover up the fact that some children and adults are just plain stupid.

Dyslexia is very real and should be given understanding.  However, not all stupid sounding people are Dyslexic.  Some people are really just plain stupid. 

Edited by BlinkingDuck, Nov 01 2019 - 02:23.

PuddleSplasher #24 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 39613 battles

View PostVulcan_Spectre, on Oct 30 2019 - 16:59, said:

I'm dyslexic, but I do my best at spelling

I am sure you do your "best" at spelling and thanks is given for that excellent effort that you have to endure :P

ProfessionalFinn #25 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 16:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 26572 battles

Spelling police are jerks per this study.

http://thelanguagene...ks-study-finds/

MissCreant #26 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 19:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3372 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Nov 17 2019 - 16:14, said:

Spelling police are jerks per this study.

http://thelanguagene...ks-study-finds/

I judge the intelligence of a person by how they write.  If their writing is poor, then their arguments are likely flawed and not worth my time considering.

I can see how they would think I am a jerk for doing this.  However, when you see a really fat person, do you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are very athletic?  Of course not.  You probably harshly judge them thinking they are lazy and unathletic.  Making judgments about how someone appears, in person or in writing, is very common.  Do you go around insulting obese people?  Probably not unless you are a true jerk.  However, if they are being a jerk themselves you would be tempted to bring it up.

Do I point out peoples' poor writing?  Only when they are being a jerk.  ESPECIALLY when they are calling other people stupid.  Nothing sets me off more than someone writing poorly calling other people stupid.

Edited by MissCreant, Nov 25 2019 - 19:50.

stalkervision #27 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 19:59

Major

• Players
  • 70364 battles
People that go around checking others grammar need to have a Anal Retentive hashtag on their signature and a psychiatrist note denoting this condition. :facepalm:

MissCreant #28 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 20:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3372 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Poststalkervision, on Nov 25 2019 - 19:59, said:

People that go around checking others grammar need to have a Anal Retentive hashtag on their signature and a psychiatrist note denoting this condition. :facepalm:

your so stopid i cant beleive you rote that gibberish unot as smart as me and so not know good.

Tolos #29 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 20:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

I'm dyslexic and forums are a god send for me.

At school I was called lazy and stupid because I couldn't get my head around how to spell certain words. But since I've been using the internet and forums my spelling has improved considerably in no small part to seeing how other people spell and of course the good old spell checker. 

The only way my dyslexia pops up now is with punctuation, I still haven't got my head around that.  But I'm trying. 

MissCreant #30 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 20:36

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3372 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostTolos, on Nov 25 2019 - 20:17, said:

I'm dyslexic and forums are a god send for me.

At school I was called lazy and stupid because I couldn't get my head around how to spell certain words. But since I've been using the internet and forums my spelling has improved considerably in no small part to seeing how other people spell and of course the good old spell checker. 

The only way my dyslexia pops up now is with punctuation, I still haven't got my head around that.  But I'm trying. 

Looks good to me! :)

PuddleSplasher #31 Posted Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39613 battles

View PostMissCreant, on Nov 25 2019 - 18:44, said:

I judge the intelligence of a person by how they write. Nothing sets me off more than someone writing poorly calling other people stupid.

Apology (singular) for cutting your full post.

• Would you still judge the person had they previously informed you they were Dyslexic?
  • Does your intelligence not allow you to chill and relax if you know that the poor writer tried to voice their frustrations albeit with grammar that had errors? Yet once more they had informed you they were Dyslexic by a tag on their post.

Your thoughts are the reason that it could be useful to have a small tag attached to a Dyslexic persons post. Imagine the strength of character and confidence that could be enhanced for Dyslexic people if they don't have to face ignorance, trolls and people that are easily "set off" by poor grammar.

cavalry11 #32 Posted Yesterday, 03:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 50161 battles

Idiot was not trolling dyslexic people I was trolling the people who can only give other people a hard time about anything when I see words mixed up I think either writing to fast or just maybe don't know better. Doesn't make them bad people.

PuddleSplasher #33 Posted Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 39613 battles

View Postcavalry11, on Dec 06 2019 - 14:47, said:

Idiot!

Was not trolling dyslexic people I was trolling the people who can only give other people a hard time about anything.

when I see words mixed up I think either writing to fast or just maybe don't know better. Doesn't make them bad people.

Who is the idiot of whom you are referring to?

By suggesting that  anyone is an idiot is an insult (May I consider that an insult above?)

By all means slow down your typing as I do. Making errors in typing is normal.

More often that not I have cat laying their body across the keyboard and that causes me to make spelling errors but I do not suggest ever that anyone is an idiot.

Perhaps you disagree?

Also tagged with Dyslexia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users