Higher Tiers is not for average FTP players.

gameplay balance economy PTP

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

0megaZer0 #1 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:36

Private

• -Players-
  • 17326 battles

As you make your way to past tier 6. WoT takes a steep incline to get to the higher tiers at a reasonable speed even if you play your heart out and be the hero of the day in a match. WoT doesn't reward FTP for their skill and hard work to win. This is the reality of the game. Progression can be made, but at a slower than a snells speed. Even by completing Missions and have active credit, XP Boosters on. It will take you 72 hours of nonstop gameplay or more depending on how well your matches go. If you feel that this is grimdark. That's because it is. Asks any WoT community contributor and they will agree and because of WG they try their hardest (god bless them) to give pro tips and tricks to alleviate these fundamental overall flaws that all WG games have. They are too greedy to have actual fun to progress and play the game and experience all the tanks in the game for FTP players. If you remain to play this game and manage to power on through to higher tiers without dropping a dime. You will know that isn't worth it. For those that want to know what it's like for FTP players without any boosters or premium time on a 4x event from an average to slightly above the player at their 9 with one of the biggest guns in the game doing extremely well in a game.

A picture is worth a thousand words and this what to expect from WG in all their games. Best of luck to you.Screenshotsadness.jpg

Edited by 0megaZer0, Oct 30 2019 - 15:49.

ArmorStorm #2 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:47

Major

• Players
  • 37736 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

Ah, the “instant gratification” whine.  You are supposed to enjoy PLAYING the game so it doesn’t feel like a “grind”. 

If you are just playing for advancement you will get burned out. 

Firemoth #3 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 15:53

Major

• Players
  • 38347 battles

View Post0megaZer0, on Oct 31 2019 - 00:36, said:

As you make your way to past tier 6. WoT takes a steep incline to get to the higher tiers at a reasonable speed even if you play your heart out and be the hero of the day in a match. WoT doesn't reward FTP for their skill and hard work to win. This is the reality of the game. Progression can be made, but at a slower than a snells speed. Even by completing Missions and have active credit, XP Boosters on. It will take you 72 hours of nonstop gameplay or more depending on how well your matches go. If you feel that this is grimdark. That's because it is. Asks any WoT community contributor and they will agree and because of WG they try their hardest (god bless them) to give pro tips and tricks to alleviate these fundamental overall flaws that all WG games have. They are too greedy to have actual fun to progress and play the game and experience all the tanks in the game for FTP players. If you remain to play this game and manage to power on through to higher tiers without dropping a dime. You will know that isn't worth it. For those that want to know what it's like for FTP players without any boosters or premium time on a 4x event from an average to slightly above the player at their 9 with one of the biggest guns in the game doing extremely well in a game.

A picture is worth a thousand words and this what to expect from WG in all their games. Best of luck to you.Screenshotsadness.jpg

2.6k dmg from over 300m is where you lost all your creds. you had to split it with your spotter.

ElfMagi2 #4 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 16:15

Captain

• Players
  • 60826 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

How does anyone not have boosters?

I turn 3 on every time I play even if it's just 1 battle and I still have thousands hundreds (1500+)

Mojo_Riesing #5 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 17:28

Captain

• Players
  • 20431 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

Is true that as you "work your way up" the game gets a bit tougher but honestly its the general skill level, not so much the tanks or maps or such.  Basic concepts remain fairly consistent though the boomsticks get bigger. 

KRZYBooP #6 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:17

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4164 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View Post0megaZer0, on Oct 30 2019 - 08:36, said:

Tier X is meant to be difficult economically. Yes you can do big damage, earn a lot of bonds, and get a lot of Experience. However, it's very difficult to be profitable in this tier on purpose. This makes it so players will play other tiers to earn more credits such as; Tier's 5-9. 

Can you play for free at Tier X: Yes

Is it going to be easy?: Nope

ThaneTyrian #7 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16873 battles

View PostArmorStorm, on Oct 30 2019 - 06:47, said:

Ah, the “instant gratification” whine.  You are supposed to enjoy PLAYING the game so it doesn’t feel like a “grind”. 

If you are just playing for advancement you will get burned out. 

What ArmorStorm said!  Exactly!!!

AppleDaD6 #8 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 45745 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
I have hundreds of boosters in each category and have not paid a penny to get any. The premium tanks I have were bought with gold from tournaments, game events, or clan events. In 7 years I've spent about $50. 

ThaneTyrian #9 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16873 battles

View PostKRZYBooP, on Oct 30 2019 - 09:17, said:

Tier X is meant to be difficult economically. Yes you can do big damage, earn a lot of bonds, and get a lot of Experience. However, it's very difficult to be profitable in this tier on purpose. This makes it so players will play other tiers to earn more credits such as; Tier's 5-9. 

AND what KRAZYBoop said!!!  I'm definitely NOT FTP because I want to ENJOY the game.  Enjoy the Process.  NOT feel like it's a grind.  That's why I rarely play Tier X and almost exclusively play Tier VIII Premiums.  But that's just me...

Redcoat #10 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 18:49

Captain

• Players
  • 68460 battles

View PostElfMagi2, on Oct 30 2019 - 16:15, said:

How does anyone not have boosters?

I turn 3 on every time I play even if it's just 1 battle and I still have thousands hundreds (1500+)

This is the question... I have 2800+ of the things... and I do use them, if not all the time... because I forget... because I'm old... and had a LOT of fun in my youth... which makes me forgetful... apparently...

redjkent #11 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 21:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 99821 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
they give out boosters and premium tanks alot use them, also its a lot easier to get to high tiers now then it was 5 years ago when i started, and with the blueprints being handed out its not much of a grind anymore

Mojo_Riesing #12 Posted Oct 30 2019 - 23:32

Captain

• Players
  • 20431 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

View PostKRZYBooP, on Oct 30 2019 - 09:17, said:

Quite true but wise use of boosters, avoiding premium ammo (that's a whole 'nother thread) and to an extent which tanks you take to battle seem to help.  I'm a mediocre player with a VISA card...i consider breaking close to even good.  Consider golf green fees.  Think about folks who jetski.  Hobbies aren't usually seen as being revenue generators, they are cost centers.

FrozenKemp #13 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 00:59

Major

• Players
  • 54247 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Do the scavenger hunt.

Get all the boosters

Enjoy!  It's like free premium :) 

Scrawnybeaver #14 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 01:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15180 battles
If you are in a rush to get to higher tiers, then yes , it will be painful.  If you are patient, then the blueprint fragments will do the work for you.

Krodah #15 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 01:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2755 battles
  • [AR-15] AR-15

between the scavenger hunts and the weekly watcher stuff I have tons of boosters. I just got my first t10 (Italian) and will have the czech one soon as well.

Scrawnybeaver #16 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 02:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15180 battles

View PostScrawnybeaver, on Oct 31 2019 - 01:43, said:

If you are in a rush to get to higher tiers, then yes , it will be painful.  If you are patient, then the blueprint fragments will do the work for you.

To expend on this, the blueprint fragments started in March? this year.  I currently have unlocked the AMX M4 Mle 45 but I have not bought it yet.  Meanwhile, I have gotten 5 out of 8 fragments for the AMX 50 100 and 4 out of 8 fragments for the AMX 65t.  So researching two heavies is now cheaper than researching one if I did not have any fragments.  So now I can wait for the AMX 50B or the AMX M4 54 On-track missions to buy the  AMX M4 Mle 45 at 30% off.  Then I can grind it on x4 and x5 weekends using boosters.  While the grind will take a while, it will not be painful.  And I may get additional fragments when doing the grind which will make it even easier.  So patient players are rewarded immensely by the game nowadays.

This is an example and it applies to any tech tree line.  I am not particular about which line I grind because I will grind them all out eventually.  I am just not in a rush and I have plenty of fun tanks to play meanwhile.

WOT is a journey, not a sprint.

Hope that helps.

1ST_AD_Abrams #17 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 10:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4789 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Isn't grinding sometimes the same as striving to get rewards?  If they promise lets say 3 days of free premium and you are going to have to play 4-5 hours each day to reach the requirement for the 3 day reward, aren't you grinding then for the reward or is it hard work disguised as grinding to earn a reward?

In terms of playing the higher tiers, please be aware that Twitch and Wargaming.net set this problem up with the care packages they created.  They usually give out on a 14 day rental basis on two tanks, usually anywhere between tier 6 and 8.  So should a player not try out those tanks, especially tier 7 and 8?  I know for the good players and skilled players they would be grateful for us who have twitch prime with our amazon prime to stay out of 7 and above, maybe even tier 6.  So shouldn't the community instead of yelling at new players turn that anger onto Wargaming for creating the problem of new players (who are more than likely Free to Play) getting put into the higher ranks too soon.  Yes I am one of those new players and twitch prime screw ups and f2p.  I would be happy to trade the 14 day rentals in maybe getting gold that can be used to purchase a tier 1 to tier 6 premium tank.  Obviously I would not get a tier 6 on the first care package.  However over a course of several months be able to buy a t6 with gold only.

Yes is frustrating that if you don't want to spend real money you chances of being very good at the game are lower than someone who is willing to pay $30-70 approx for a premium tank and of course buying credits so they can use the premium rounds only (yes if you have money and can buy the premium tanks it won't make you a better player either only time in the game does).  For me I see the spending of real money on a game where once they pull the power cord out of the wall, I have nothing (yes memories of great battles, horrible blowouts/shutouts and being told to uninstall/go away/you suck/idiot/moron - you know the list).

I stopped using real money in Star Trek Online on that same premise.  This game will only be here for a period of time and when the server is shut down I have no way to use what I paid for in a solo game.  So I use in game (harder to get) dilithium to buy what I need.  Of course that will require doing events and missions over and over sometimes over a 30 day period, but I then have the dil needed to exchange and purchase.  Sure I don't have "all" the ships or tech, but enough to get buy in a PvE instead of this game which is PvP.

bravo9er #18 Posted Oct 31 2019 - 16:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26069 battles
Not having premium time is one thing, but in all honesty, there's no excuse for not having any boosters.  I know guys that do perfectly fine not having premium time because they stay engaged and collect the free boosters.  Really, I mean just check the code sharing thread once a day and you'll have more boosters than you'll know what to do with.  

PrivateJ #19 Posted Nov 01 2019 - 21:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8916 battles
  • [WARHK] WARHK

On the subject of boosters i am not going to use them if i can't say i am going to be playing for long enough to justify the use of them (not going to use a 2 hour booster if i am only going to play a match or two)

ChaseR392 #20 Posted Nov 02 2019 - 05:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9282 battles

View Post1ST_AD_Abrams, on Oct 31 2019 - 10:21, said:

In terms of playing the higher tiers, please be aware that Twitch and Wargaming.net set this problem up with the care packages they created.

Yes is frustrating that if you don't want to spend real money you chances of being very good at the game are lower than someone who is willing to pay $30-70 approx for a premium tank and of course buying credits so they can use the premium rounds only 

How Twitch rentals are used (or misused) falls solely on the shoulders of the user.... not WG.

I've said to this before (to you)…. Twitch rentals are essentially test drives for premium tanks. They allow a player to try out a premium tank before buying it.... with the option to purchase it at a discount. There is nothing wrong with that premise, I'm sure nobody would fault a newer player for taking a Tier 8 tank out for few battles to "try it out".... it gives players a preview of higher tiers and something to work towards....

But there is a distinct difference between a newer player taking poorly equipped Twitch rentals out for a few battles to get a peek and Tier 8 to 10 play..... and taking them out for hundreds of battles to get absolutely clobbered over and over again in an attempt to skip the low tier grind or go for instant gratification for "free".....

Spending money has nothing to do with your "chances" to be good at the game.... spending money just eases the grind. Give an example of a recreation or hobby that doesn't cost money? WG gives out quite a bit of freebies to people who don't spend a dime on their game.... when in reality they don't "owe" them a darn thing. I don't have a shred of sympathy for FTP players who whine about the difficulty of the grind or complain about running credit deficits at higher tiers. 

Also tagged with gameplay, balance, economy, PTP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users