Newcomer Help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

COMNAV1992 #1 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 16:19

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
I'm big into World of Warships and very successful, but ever since an iOS upgrade on my mac, I cant play the game, so I thought I'd give World of Tanks a try.  What's the best way to learn how to play WOT properly and successfully? -COMNAV1992

WaywardChild #2 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 16:29

Captain

• Players
  • 38962 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_

Russian.

When dead, stick around and watch what the best players on your team do.

Darkbee2Bee #3 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 36484 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
  • Read guides/Understand the basics (there used to be some guide posts on these forums... don't know if they're archived now)
  • Ask questions on these forums about specific scenarios/tactics
  • Watch YouTubers like Guido1212
  • Find people willing/able to platoon with you that can teach you
  • Ask people to analyze your replays
  • Don't rush.  Take time to learn different tanks.  Recognize what you could have done differently in any given game for a better outcome.

Good luck

Scorpiany #4 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 16:32

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37236 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Best way to learn is to Platoon up with some good players, and to watch some livestreams of skilled players. Dalkizor, skill4ltu, Circonflexes, etc. are all great streamers to watch.

Also, WG has some really good video tutorials on their channels. Their spotting mechanics and armor mechanics videos are really in depth.

__WarChild__ #5 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 16:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 33527 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Scorpiany's guides in his signature are a GREAT place to start.  

In the meantime, don't forget about entering CODES to get you some free stuff: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/605553-codes-r-us/

Best of luck!

__WarChild__

streams12 #6 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 17:07

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 34660 battles
  • [DKFT] DKFT
You can also go to the live broadcast, how to play
Youtube, Twitch

dunniteowl #7 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 17:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Hey, Welcome to the Madness that is World of Tanks!

As a new player, you would do very well to get very familiar with what's in this:  The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

This covers ALL the necessary basic information about the game, includes some really good guides and tutorials, both in text and video.

Scorpiany's guides are good, too, though I tend to feel they are geared more towards folks who already have a good solid base of gaming experience and knowledge.  New Players really need more basic information first.  You know, that whole, you gotta scream in the tree until your parents kick you out of the nest sort of experience -- Oh, sorry, you gotta walk before you run, I mean.

The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)  fills that gap.

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

Win?

Honestly, you will get much more value from your gaming time by knowing what you're doing pretty much out of the gate.  Those linked sections will give you that edge you require to go from, "I don't know what I'm doing," to, "Wow, what a difference!"

At least all that information in there did that for me. Now, instead of swearing at the game, I swear by those links.  You can, too.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Desert_Fox_1969 #8 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 17:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36751 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Join a social clan and toon with some folks. Shadow them to learn some of the basics.

Markd73 #9 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 18:11

Major

• Players
  • 32795 battles

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Nov 06 2019 - 15:31, said:

• Read guides/Understand the basics (there used to be some guide posts on these forums... don't know if they're archived now)
  • Ask questions on these forums about specific scenarios/tactics
  • Watch YouTubers like Guido1212
  • Find people willing/able to platoon with you that can teach you
  • Ask people to analyze your replays
  • Don't rush.  Take time to learn different tanks.  Recognize what you could have done differently in any given game for a better outcome.

Good luck

All good advice.

I would also advise that you get to tier 5 or 6 and stay there for a while and learn the mechanics of the game. The lower tiers are not very representative of the mid and upper tier playstyles. Rushing up to tier 8-10 will lead to frustration as you will be competing against players with a better equipment, better crews and more knowledge. Learn the basics first.

I would also find a couple of tank types/styles that click with you and keep playing those specific tanks well past unlocking the next one. Maybe a couple of hundred battles in each. For example - at tier 5 the M4 US medium tank will give you a general idea of medium tank playstyle or a russian KV1 for heavy tanks.

Da_Craw #10 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 18:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 27824 battles

Keep in mind that the action is happening much faster in tanks than in warships.  You are going to fight the controls for a bit, so don't get frustrated.  It takes dozens of battles just to get used to driving, aiming and switching between views.  Then you have to get used to applying your consumables quickly.

There are a lot of guides in the newcomers section.  They are invaluable.  Things to learn from the guides that will have ENORMOUS impact on your enjoyment and ability to play:

The spotting mechanics; don't complain about the invisible tanks.  Learn to BE the invisible tank.

Crew skills and perks; DO NOT PLAY WITH 50% CREWS.  Crews have a HUGE impact on the performance of the tank.

Shell types and penetration mechanics; default to AP shells, but knowing when to use the others can make or break you later on.

The meaning of and when to use the following techniques:

• Armor angling
  • hull down
  • side scrape
  • reverse side scrape
  • face hug
  • peek-a-boom
  • flank and spank
  • ramming
  • concentration of fire
  • common weak spots
  • specific weak spots for difficult tanks
  • tracking

Finally, the mini-map is your friend.  Make it at least 1/3 as tall as the entire screen and turn on every single piece of info the game will give you.  Look at it often.  Think "rear-view mirror when in traffic" often.

Fishrokk #11 Posted Nov 06 2019 - 19:16

Major

• Players
  • 18012 battles
  • [K-S-W] K-S-W
For my money, the first game mechanics to learn are vision and visibility.  I'm not a regular player much anymore, though I still try to keep my hand in a bit.  You have to be able to see the enemy to shoot them, and if they can't see you, they can't shoot you.  I have never had a really good grasp of these mechanics, and my record shows it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users