• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 01:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 33527 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Howdy Folks,

I really enjoy playing with a variety of different tankers here in WoT and have had the good fortune of playing with some great teams as a legionnaire.  Sometimes, I play with groups that use derogatory names to describe other players and/or clans.  Now, I'm a people person so I can mostly understand why players, both young and old, sometimes fail to see why the use of certain terms either is or could be offensive to others.  Recently, I have seen a significant uptick in the use of the word "autistic" by younger players over voice chat.  I don't know when or how this term became so popular in game, but many of the players that I've asked about their use of the term will defend their choice of words vehemently.  

Putting aside the fact that I have a mentally handicapped sibling, I am older and grew up with people using the word "retarded" so I do not take personal offense at its use now.  I've even had that word yelled at me for my in-game actions before and although I'd prefer a different word, I understood the point that was being made about my stupidity.  Autism, however, is something that is more specific, more personal, and much more prevalent in today's society.  I have several friends with children that fall somewhere on the spectrum and I do not envy the tremendous effort that is required to provide for their loved ones. 

I do not know for certain but I believe that young people today use that particular term indiscriminately because they simply do not have enough education and life experience to know how hurtful the word itself could be.  Calling someone "autistic" for their actions in game is like calling them "stupid" and to someone who is closely related or connected with a person with autism, it feels like you're calling their loved one stupid. Therefore, it is my strong suggestion that you avoid using the words autistic or autism with negative connotation at all costs.  There are plenty of other words that can be used to describe WoT players and would kindly ask that ye who art young, please consider using those instead.  My personal favorite comes from the TV series Deadwood - "Hoopleheads."

In the end, please remember to be kind to others.  We're all in this world together now.  

Thank you for your time and attention.

:honoring:

__WarChild__

For More Information:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autistic

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism

https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/understanding-autism-basics#1

(You all know that enjoy thoughtful discussion of my thread topics.  I look forward to your comments/thoughts)

_PoliticallyIncorrect #2 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 01:46

Captain

• Players
  • 23578 battles
  • [TRY] TRY
A pro tip for you OP: No one on the internet cares about your feelings, or you loved ones. So no one on the internet will cease using a word just because it offends you. 

Cowcat137 #3 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 01:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 14267 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
Casting ye pearls before the Swine again WC?   

carl20320 #4 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 40978 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

View Post_PoliticallyIncorrect, on Nov 06 2019 - 16:46, said:

A pro tip for you ... 

Me thinks thou doest overrate thine self.

CedricMacLaren #5 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:09

Major

• Players
  • 15429 battles
  • [RECKT] RECKT
My grandson is on the spectrum. So are Daryl Hannah and Dan Aykroyd.  Supposedly Einstein, Newton, and Emily Dickinson were as well. I myself could probably be placed somewhere on the spectrum. As for people using either “retarded” or “autistic” to insult someone for noobish play, they are just being stupid and as they say, “You can’t fix stupid”.  

Cerbium #6 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:12

Captain

• Players
  • 19391 battles

What about the people who have autistic family members or know autistic people that aren't offended by the word being used the way you described? 

I'm actually surprised this is the word that seemed offensive enough to you that it required a thread on the forums and not the many other words that a lot more people would probably find offensive. 

Gothraul #7 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 2426 battles
Don't count on it as much of the player base is aged and set in their ways for which anything different from themselves is subject to such abuse.

TripleDELUXExGAMER #8 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5011 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View Post_PoliticallyIncorrect, on Nov 07 2019 - 01:46, said:

A pro tip for you OP: No one on the internet cares about your feelings, or you loved ones. So no one on the internet will cease using a word just because it offends you. 

this 

Vulcan_Spectre #9 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:21

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5628 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
I know you mean well op, but people on the internet are stupid, enough said

GeorgePreddy #10 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:35

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Post_PoliticallyIncorrect, on Nov 06 2019 - 21:46, said:

No one on the internet cares about your feelings... no one on the internet will cease using a word just because it offends you. 

I'm on the internet... I care about his feelings simply because he's proven through many posts to be a fairly good guy (other than his incorrect belief that his win rate is rigged by MM  :rolleyes: ).

I won't "cease using" terribly hurtful words simply because I never started using them. Thanks to my parents for teaching me better than that and for being shining examples to me.

ExploratorOne #11 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:41

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15812 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1

So sad.  And it is not that the word "offends" me, it is that I think of how it denegrates autistic people and implies they are ignorant or stupid.  Autism specifically refers to difficulty in interpreting emotions and feelings, so attaching autism to stupidity is a gross misrepresentation.  I work with adults and youth that are autistic, but their primary issues are other concomitant severe developmental issues - otherwise you would not be able to easily determine they were on the spectrum,  For instance, it is widely speculated that most of the scientists at NASA are on the spectrum.

When you call someone autistic, this is some of the company you group them with:

• Dan Aykroyd – Comedic Actor
  • Hans Christian Andersen – Children’s Author
  • Benjamin Banneker – African American almanac author, surveyor, naturalist, and farmer
  • Susan Boyle – Singer
  • Tim Burton – Movie Director
  • Lewis Carroll – Author of “Alice in Wonderland”
  • Henry Cavendish – Scientist
  • Charles Darwin – Naturalist, Geologist, and Biologist
  • Emily Dickinson – Poet
  • Paul Dirac – Physicist
  • Albert Einstein – Scientist & Mathematician
  • Bobby Fischer – Chess Grandmaster
  • Bill Gates – Co-founder of the Microsoft Corporation
  • Temple Grandin – Animal Scientist
  • Daryl Hannah – Actress & Environmental Activist
  • Thomas Jefferson – Early American Politician
  • Steve Jobs – Former CEO of Apple
  • James Joyce – Author of “Ulysses”
  • Alfred Kinsey – Sexologist & Biologist
  • Stanley Kubrick – Film Director
  • Barbara McClintock – Scientist and Cytogeneticist
  • Michelangelo – Sculptor, Painter, Architect, Poet
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Classical Composer
  • Sir Isaac Newton – Mathematician, Astronomer, & Physicist
  • Jerry Seinfeld – Comedian
  • Satoshi Tajiri – Creator of Nintendo’s Pokémon
  • Nikola Tesla – Inventor
  • Andy Warhol – Artist
  • Ludwig Wittgenstein – Philosopher
  • William Butler Yeats – Poet

Edited by ExploratorOne, Nov 07 2019 - 02:58.

StoveBolt54 #12 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 02:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30493 battles

Speak freely.

Don't Tread On Me.

Mojo_Riesing #13 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 03:30

Captain

• Players
  • 20241 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

View Post__WarChild__, on Nov 06 2019 - 16:37, said:

Howdy Folks,

I really enjoy playing with a variety of different tankers here in WoT and have had the good fortune of playing with some great teams as a legionnaire.  Sometimes, I play with groups that use derogatory names to describe other players and/or clans.  Now, I'm a people person so I can mostly understand why players, both young and old, sometimes fail to see why the use of certain terms either is or could be offensive to others.  Recently, I have seen a significant uptick in the use of the word "autistic" by younger players over voice chat.  I don't know when or how this term became so popular in game, but many of the players that I've asked about their use of the term will defend their choice of words vehemently.  

Putting aside the fact that I have a mentally handicapped sibling, I am older and grew up with people using the word "retarded" so I do not take personal offense at its use now.  I've even had that word yelled at me for my in-game actions before and although I'd prefer a different word, I understood the point that was being made about my stupidity.  Autism, however, is something that is more specific, more personal, and much more prevalent in today's society.  I have several friends with children that fall somewhere on the spectrum and I do not envy the tremendous effort that is required to provide for their loved ones. 

I do not know for certain but I believe that young people today use that particular term indiscriminately because they simply do not have enough education and life experience to know how hurtful the word itself could be.  Calling someone "autistic" for their actions in game is like calling them "stupid" and to someone who is closely related or connected with a person with autism, it feels like you're calling their loved one stupid. Therefore, it is my strong suggestion that you avoid using the words autistic or autism with negative connotation at all costs.  There are plenty of other words that can be used to describe WoT players and would kindly ask that ye who art young, please consider using those instead.  My personal favorite comes from the TV series Deadwood - "Hoopleheads."

In the end, please remember to be kind to others.  We're all in this world together now.  

Thank you for your time and attention.

:honoring:

__WarChild__

For More Information:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autistic

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism

https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/understanding-autism-basics#1

(You all know that enjoy thoughtful discussion of my thread topics.  I look forward to your comments/thoughts)

A very good and thoughtful post. Too many people think "free speech" means it's ok to say any stupid thing that comes into your mind. It isn't.

View Post_PoliticallyIncorrect, on Nov 06 2019 - 16:46, said:

Well then, if we're going to start not caring about feelings, loved ones or offenses, i think i'll start with not caring about you at all.  How's that work for you and your loved ones?

BeastsOfBattle #14 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 04:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15869 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

My wife is Autistic, has a 160+ IQ and a Masters in Biomedical Engineering/Physics. So when I get called Autistic in chat I take that as a complement ;)

__WarChild__ #15 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 04:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 33527 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

First, let me say that this has NOTHING to do with MY feelings whatsoever.  None.  I mentioned that my sibling was mentally handicapped and that I DO NOT take offense at people using the word "retarded" even when that word is used to describe ME.  I'm a big boy and very little ruffles my feathers.

Second, I do not care what "the internet" does or doesn't do.   As you can see from responses in this thread, there are varying degrees of autism and not all have negative connotations. However, when the word has been used in voice chat with me, there have been people who are greatly affected by it and the attention turns away from the game and moves towards an uncomfortable discussion amongst the players.  Which made me want to write a thread to clue some of you into the insensitivity of using the word.  It's not a mandate, just a suggestion.  Completely up to the individual.

__WarChild__ #16 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 04:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 33527 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 06 2019 - 19:35, said:

I'm on the internet... I care about his feelings simply because he's proven through many posts to be a fairly good guy (other than his incorrect belief that his win rate is rigged by MM  :rolleyes: ).

I won't "cease using" terribly hurtful words simply because I never started using them. Thanks to my parents for teaching me better than that and for being shining examples to me.

LOL.  I didn't see this when I wrote my above response.  I appreciate you caring about my feelings, but I promise that this wasn't about me.  It was written after my 3rd Voice Chat encounter with a mixed team (young and old) where one of the youngsters uses the word negatively.  It just made me realize that they must not realize that the word can be highly offensive and is likely to strike someone they are speaking with.  If you didn't know and now you do but you don't care, then don't sweat it.  If you didn't know but you do care, then try to refrain from using that particular word.  Easy peazy.

Edited by __WarChild__, Nov 07 2019 - 04:26.

Mikosah #17 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 05:57

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

If you prefer, we can just go back to using "retarded" like before. As for why autism is the new go-to, there's several reasons that might explain the trend. For one, its the new buzzword and it has been getting attention for some time now. Two, it doesn't particularly matter if the statement is accurate or not, but it has been a meme for several years that WoT attracts an autistic crowd of players. And three, the immensely counterintuitive nature of WoT gameplay does actually conjure up the image of autism and other mental quirks in both its best and worst players. Slang comes and goes, my honest advice is just roll with it and not overthink things. If anything, take it as a compliment. The connotations are only as negative as you want them to be.

Besides, the whole autism trend has given us gems like the following:

__WarChild__ #18 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 07:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 33527 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

After further reflection, you guys are right.  It is not my place to teach manners or common sense.  That was your parents job.  My bad.

:facepalm:

Omega_Weapon #19 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 09:18

Major

• Players
  • 53336 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Post__WarChild__, on Nov 06 2019 - 19:37, said:

I also grew up using the "R" word quite a lot and its still part of my repertoire nowadays, even if its not particularly PC. I feel "Autistic" would actually be less insulting to most than being called "Retarded" since generally autistic people are not stupid at all. Often quite the opposite.

Edited by Omega_Weapon, Nov 07 2019 - 09:25.

Omega_Weapon #20 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 09:24

Major

• Players
  • 53336 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostMikosah, on Nov 06 2019 - 23:57, said:

If you prefer, we can just go back to using "retarded" like before. As for why autism is the new go-to, there's several reasons that might explain the trend. For one, its the new buzzword and it has been getting attention for some time now. Two, it doesn't particularly matter if the statement is accurate or not, but it has been a meme for several years that WoT attracts an autistic crowd of players. And three, the immensely counterintuitive nature of WoT gameplay does actually conjure up the image of autism and other mental quirks in both its best and worst players. Slang comes and goes, my honest advice is just roll with it and not overthink things. If anything, take it as a compliment. The connotations are only as negative as you want them to be.

Besides, the whole autism trend has given us gems like the following:

I knew there had to be a reason that this aggravating game still appeals to me somehow after all these years. :amazed:

Edited by Omega_Weapon, Nov 07 2019 - 09:26.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users