• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

el_01 #1 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 05:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Hello,

Since I've been bored for a while, I've decided that I should probably grind a few new lines within WoT. So, for everyone with actual Tier 10s out there and with some experience playing them, given the tanks that I do well in that I currently play (check stats), what are tanks that I would probably like at Tier 10?

I've been eyeing the TVP T50/51, the French autoloading mediums and lights, and the Leopard 1, but they seem to be very high skill and I don't think I have that level of brain yet.

https://wotlabs.net/na/player/el_01

WoTLabs for your convenience, stats today aren't so good since my scroll wheel was broken.

BlackFive #2 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 06:04

Major

• Players
  • 36671 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postel_01, on Nov 08 2019 - 05:47, said:

Hello,

Since I've been bored for a while, I've decided that I should probably grind a few new lines within WoT. So, for everyone with actual Tier 10s out there and with some experience playing them, given the tanks that I do well in that I currently play (check stats), what are tanks that I would probably like at Tier 10?

I've been eyeing the TVP T50/51, the French autoloading mediums and lights, and the Leopard 1, but they seem to be very high skill and I don't think I have that level of brain yet.

WoTLabs for your convenience, stats today aren't so good since my scroll wheel was broken.

If you ask about stats - prepare to be burned.

Instead - remember its a game: play what looks fun

DerJager #3 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 06:30

Major

• Players
  • 6168 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

Honestly with your WR and performance, they're probably going to say you should stick to low tiers. And honestly they have something of a point.

Tier 8+ tends to have more higher skilled players (ignoring seal clubbers) due to tier 10's being used competitively, and simple higher XP requirements slowing down progression past tier 6 significantly, so it just takes longer to lemming your way to high tiers, resulting in slightly lower density of poor performers.

You CAN learn everything you need at tier 10, but it's going to be a brutal, harrowing 7000 battles or so. Additionally sometimes you might be doing things MOSTLY right, and everyone pounces on the one thing you're doing wrong and murders the [edited]out of you anyways, so good behavior can go unrewarded, and the learning curve is steeper than it has to be.

Right now you should be:

Learning the maps, learning the weak spots, and focusing on mastering the basics like side scraping, angling, and predicting enemy actions. There's a sweet spot for this tier 5-7.

I also notice you're not playing heavy tanks much. However you seem to be doing better than your average in your more heavily armored mediums, so you may consider playing them more. Germany has decent heavies up to tier 7, and Russia's line is solid all the way through.

Obj 430U, or IS7 are hard to beat as your first tier 10's. But no need to rush up there. Focus on learning how to do well in each tank you get. 

el_01 #4 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 06:48

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostDerJager, on Nov 07 2019 - 22:30, said:

Honestly with your WR and performance, they're probably going to say you should stick to low tiers. And honestly they have something of a point.

Tier 8+ tends to have more higher skilled players (ignoring seal clubbers) due to tier 10's being used competitively, and simple higher XP requirements slowing down progression past tier 6 significantly, so it just takes longer to lemming your way to high tiers, resulting in slightly lower density of poor performers.

You CAN learn everything you need at tier 10, but it's going to be a brutal, harrowing 7000 battles or so. Additionally sometimes you might be doing things MOSTLY right, and everyone pounces on the one thing you're doing wrong and murders the [edited]out of you anyways, so good behavior can go unrewarded, and the learning curve is steeper than it has to be.

Right now you should be:

Learning the maps, learning the weak spots, and focusing on mastering the basics like side scraping, angling, and predicting enemy actions. There's a sweet spot for this tier 5-7.

I also notice you're not playing heavy tanks much. However you seem to be doing better than your average in your more heavily armored mediums, so you may consider playing them more. Germany has decent heavies up to tier 7, and Russia's line is solid all the way through.

Obj 430U, or IS7 are hard to beat as your first tier 10's. But no need to rush up there. Focus on learning how to do well in each tank you get. 

Yeah, I've played Tier 10s on test server. It was a combination of lack of skills and of ping, didn't do so great.

View PostBlackFive, on Nov 07 2019 - 22:04, said:

If you ask about stats - prepare to be burned.

Instead - remember its a game: play what looks fun

Generally tanks I do well in are also the tanks I like, I was thinking maybe I could get some sort of recommendation.

Byracki #5 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 06:51

Captain

• Players
  • 33204 battles

Short version:

Don't bother with tier 10 at your current level

Long version;

You have a very low battle count, so I question if you can handle tier 10 without being food for everyone with more experience.

Your highest tanks are:

7 - IS = 70 battles @ 43%

7 - KV-13 = 66 battles @ 38%

7 - T-43 = 11 battles @ 45%

This is not the kind of skill level you want to be when you start playing tier 10s

This is not the kind of skill level your teammates want you to be when you are on their tier 10 teams

Now that being said, you have a few beacons shining in the darkness.

6 - M4A3E8 = 67 battles @ 58%

6 - T-34-85 = 234 battles @ 54%

These are both moderately armored, fast, single shot tanks.

If you want to get tier 10s that play like these, continue down those lines.

The whole main Soviet medium line are very good tanks, T-44, T-54, Obj. 140.

The branch line is arguably better, as the 430 and 430U get larger guns and much more armor as the cost of speed and gun handling.

As for the USA medium line, T20 is lighter and faster than the E8, the Pershing is great, then the gun handling on the Pattons is pretty much best in game.

I agree the autoloaders are very good, but they do have a higher skill requirement to do anything other than sit way in the back like an idiot and snipe. Something that will get you yelled at in 10s, but its what people end up learning to do after getting penned by everything in the match over and over.

I think you'd be happiest in a 430U.

el_01 #6 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 07:09

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostByracki, on Nov 07 2019 - 22:51, said:

Short version:

Don't bother with tier 10 at your current level

Long version;

You have a very low battle count, so I question if you can handle tier 10 without being food for everyone with more experience.

Your highest tanks are:

7 - IS = 70 battles @ 43%

7 - KV-13 = 66 battles @ 38%

7 - T-43 = 11 battles @ 45%

This is not the kind of skill level you want to be when you start playing tier 10s

This is not the kind of skill level your teammates want you to be when you are on their tier 10 teams

Now that being said, you have a few beacons shining in the darkness.

6 - M4A3E8 = 67 battles @ 58%

6 - T-34-85 = 234 battles @ 54%

These are both moderately armored, fast, single shot tanks.

If you want to get tier 10s that play like these, continue down those lines.

The whole main Soviet medium line are very good tanks, T-44, T-54, Obj. 140.

The branch line is arguably better, as the 430 and 430U get larger guns and much more armor as the cost of speed and gun handling.

As for the USA medium line, T20 is lighter and faster than the E8, the Pershing is great, then the gun handling on the Pattons is pretty much best in game.

I agree the autoloaders are very good, but they do have a higher skill requirement to do anything other than sit way in the back like an idiot and snipe. Something that will get you yelled at in 10s, but its what people end up learning to do after getting penned by everything in the match over and over.

I think you'd be happiest in a 430U.

I'm not going to directly free XP or buy a T10, I think I'm sane enough to realise that I'm a potato at playing anything greater than Tier 6.

Thing is, my Tier 6 rotation is sort of getting stagnant, and I'd like some new tanks to be excited about grinding towards.

death_stryker #7 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 07:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

What everyone else said.

1. 430U

2. IS-7

3. Obj. 140

TVP, Batchat, 13 105, Leo 1 and M48 are all extremely difficult tanks to play, to the extent that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone below ~2000 recent WN8. Definitely start with the basics (i.e. Russians) before branching out.

el_01 #8 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 07:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3616 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postdeath_stryker, on Nov 07 2019 - 23:19, said:

What everyone else said.

1. 430U

2. IS-7

3. Obj. 140

TVP, Batchat, 13 105, Leo 1 and M48 are all extremely difficult tanks to play, to the extent that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone below ~2000 recent WN8. Definitely start with the basics (i.e. Russians) before branching out.

Is the Centurion a fine tank to want? I think I can handle large tanks with poor armour (e.g. ARL 44) but maybe it's too high skill.

Also, does doing OK in the Strv 74 prepare me for anything? I really love that playstyle.

InfinityGamer #9 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 08:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34956 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
I'd recommend something heavy. Well-armoured tanks tend to be much more forgiving when you make little mistakes, it's a good place to learn more of the basics before moving onto tanks that rely on mobility. Can't go wrong with something like an IS-7 or S.Conq.

JakeTheMystic #10 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 08:50

Major

• Players
  • 25015 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

My first 10 was the IS-7 and loved it for the longest time, slow play style and easy to learn. Sure, it's not the most competitive tank out there, but it's pretty well rounded and was a blast to play. 

Nothing else is really fun to play at tier 10, you are just going to face broken reward tanks and lose credits every game. I'd say tier 7 at most is the "fun" tier to play at; Tier 8 has too many broken premiums, tier 9 is just going to get you constant bottom-tier games against broken tier 10s. At least at 6/7 you don't have to worry about too many broken premiums (maybe Type 64, 85M, E-25, and 13-57 respectively.) At least they aren't as broke as IS-3A, Skorp G, ISU-130, Defender, ect, ect. 

Tuzban #11 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 10:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 37963 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostByracki, on Nov 08 2019 - 05:51, said:

I don't know why people keep saying this. Pershing is just bad in the current meta. You can check tank curves from wot-news if you want to see it yourself.

The same way, you can see that the M46 Patton is mediocre at best (if not outright bad) at the hands of average players. It only starts to shine when better players play it.

Sure, if it happens to fit one's playstyle, it can work. But the playstyle relies heavily on understanding maps, knowing weak points, and being able to farm targets than are not shooting back.

Vulcan_Spectre #12 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 13:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5628 battles
  • [TCM] TCM

View Postel_01, on Nov 08 2019 - 01:27, said:

Is the Centurion a fine tank to want? I think I can handle large tanks with poor armour (e.g. ARL 44) but maybe it's too high skill.

Also, does doing OK in the Strv 74 prepare me for anything? I really love that playstyle.

I suggest getting the Cromwell. It's a major keeper. The comet aint half bad but I didn't like it, setter is only good if you play it right. The only downside I've heard bout the branch is the cent ax isnt as powerful as the m48

Edited by Vulcan_Spectre, Nov 08 2019 - 13:27.

Spammy #13 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 13:56

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 67387 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

View Postel_01, on Nov 07 2019 - 22:47, said:

Hello,

Hey dude. honestly you just haven't played enough games to effectively play tier 10. Play another 10k games in the lower tiers, building your experience and crews.  If you rush your way to tier 10 you will end up with one of 2 play styles, 

1: hiding in back doing nothing, thus hurting your team's chance to win or

2: being too aggressive and getting your self wrecked within a minute or so of the game start thus hurting your team's chance to win.

Either way, your experience will be unrewarding and you will occasionally draw the ire of frustrated teammates.

So again, do yourself and would be teammates a favor, learn the game.    No offense intended here.... honest assessment.

2MOEJOE #14 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 14:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4349 battles
I would get a AX and play second line meduim because its easier to play than a leopard and has a Lazer gun on it with a dang good standard round 10 degrees of gun depression and fairly hard head .If you go the 430U/140 route you will have a lot expected of you especially top tier and I don't think you want that.As far as stats who cares I was in a few pubs last night where the top tiers were 43% BOTs .

Edited by 2MOEJOE, Nov 08 2019 - 14:38.

BlackFive #15 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 14:43

Major

• Players
  • 36671 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postel_01, on Nov 08 2019 - 06:48, said:

Yeah, I've played Tier 10s on test server. It was a combination of lack of skills and of ping, didn't do so great.

Generally tanks I do well in are also the tanks I like, I was thinking maybe I could get some sort of recommendation.

Fine - a real recommendation:  play a bunch of lines simultaneously as you learn the maps, capabilities and playstyles of different tank types / classes.  Yes, this includes playing Arty and TDs - as you need to understand the play of these and where they can hit / where they camp so you can succeed at higher tiers. 

Along the way you will find tanks you click with and then some you don't.  But you should be improving across the board at this point - and getting more frustrated with yourself, the game and other players.  You should also come frequently to the forums and complain about the players while eagerly anticipating the personal attacks you will receive. Engage in flame wars with a few people and make a name for yourself.

Then get a bad / non- meta Tier X and really complain about gold spam, how players are really terrible at Tier X and how there is no support.  Maybe even put up a rage quit post, threatening WG with absurd nonsense and try to get other people to join your crusade. 

Quietly reinstall the game a month later and repeat the last once or twice more. 

Finally, after months off, reinstall the game... Play the tanks you like, get Meta 10s and ignore the fact that they over perform for no good reason and have fun with the game. 

GeorgePreddy #16 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:07

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

You seem to like Mediums... so... Obj. 430U and Obj. 140

Schmarbs523 #17 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19865 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
I’ll echo what Byracki said and add another tank line or two to the list. If you eventually want to be competitive in clan wars, definitely go for the Obj 140 or Obj 430U. RU meds are some of the best in the game and there’s a reason they’re always top picks for clan wars. I also think the American medium line has the best all around mediums (not the best at a particular thing, but just overall good at everything) and are a good line to learn medium play styles. And I’d add the British mediums to the list. The Brit mediums have been my favorite tank line to grind in the entire game by a very large margin. The Cromwell is an amazing tier 6 and the tier 8 and 9 Centurions are two of my favorite tanks at their respective tiers. I haven’t actually played the Action X yet but I’d imagine it’s play style is going to be similar to the 7/1 so I’m certain I’m going to like it. The last couple of lines I’m going to mention will just be in passing. If you decide to go a light tank route, try the Russian line. I found every tank enjoyable and it’s a good way to learn light tank play styles. And for heavies, that’s a tough call to be honest. The Brit heavies are brutal until tier 8. But the Conq and S Conq are two of the best heavies tier for tier in the game. You could also try the IS-7 or the WZ-111 5A lines. The tier 7s are essentially the same and the tier 10s fit relatively similar roles. The IS-7 line has the strongest tier 9 heavy in the game and the WZ line has my favorite tier 9 heavy in the game. You can’t go wrong with either.

I’d personally recommend going for one of the medium lines as you seem to perform better in mediums. Then maybe branch out into the light or heavy lines. But take your time at each tier. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of your tanks and where you can use those strengths to your advantage on any given map. And just do your best to learn the maps. Knowing the maps is a huge deal in this game.

comradekillshot #18 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19562 battles
  • [IRE] IRE

My 2 favorite tier 10 tanks are as follows:

IS-7

Bat Chat

However I have been grinding towards the Obj 430U and I have reason to believe it will be very good. The Obj 277 is another one I am grinding for and it seems to be all around better than an IS-7 on paper. 

13Jake55 #19 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 21087 battles

I've  a few tens but hardly play  them and have a few unlocked but I like tier 9 better. The leo was my first ten before the buff and ended up selling and keeping PTA at 9. I like playing it because it is mobile and the gun is great but it is not a front line medium as it has no armor. You need a highly skilled crew to take advantage of it. I can be on one side of map supporting and then relocate quickly to the other side if there is a red breakthrough, mop up and then go back to the other side and help. But get a city map and its very difficult. 

Soviet line is always op so its a safe line to go. I do like the British line mediums and heavies. I kept all the medium line Cromwells, Comet, Crusader, and Centurions but stopped at the 7/1. I have all the heavies from the BP including the SConq. Nice turret armor in the British line and the TDs are like armored turtles but slow.  

I have tanks of all sorts and playstyles and unlike some ply them all depending on how I feel at the time. I want to play slow I will play slow Tds or heavies. If I feel energized the leo or fast Soviets or my Progrettos. I rarely play the same tank more than 2 x a day and I will play 20 battles a night sometimes. Yes my overall win rate is bad but thats indicative of my early play if you like stats. My last 1017 battles I have a win rate of 50.67 which is decent but I play the game not for stats but to have fun.

spud_tuber #20 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 59346 battles
I'll make a minor suggestion in response to your interest in autoloaders.  Consider giving the Skoda T25 a try.  It is a 3 round autoloader at T6, but the interclip reload is short enough that clip management mistakes are mitigated somewhat, unlike the longer interclip times at higher tiers.  If you like it, and can get used to the clip reload, then consider trying out the amx 12t, T71, and/or the swedish premium T6 medium.

Oh, and one other thing.  Whatever you were doing in the T-34-85, you should probably try to figure out how to apply that to the 34-85M.

And finally, the 57mm is the gun most better players seem to recommend using on the A-43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users