View Range

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Sonny_2013 #1 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 08:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28251 battles
so im working on scouting with light tanks...im pretty new but i watched that little video on the launcer not to long ago and it gave me soem very useful pointers where im actually scouting stuff wihtout dying which is nice...alot of things i never knew ...im doing the light tank missions for my orders abck and im 1 order away from getting the t55a but my post is i was just wondering if theres some other thing i can do to get a better view range...i can get up to 511 meters with food and stuuf i have optics. binoculars and the other thing that gives 5 crew bonus but maybe my crew just needs to be better they are slowly getting better but i think that'll give me soem much needed view range...my vierw range isnt bad but i usually go in with 490 but i get outspotted my UDEs tds all the time and some others i guess..490 isnt bad i suppose but itd be nice to have more ...food is too expensive so i dont use it....but i was wondering what others had for view range and what they use in their tds or scouting light tanks or viewing tanks period...

TacoJohnHG #2 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 09:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44243 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

Watch that, and all of the other "Explaining Mechanics" videos by WG. They all have good info for a new player, and many have a lot of info that veterans don't know.

Optics and binoculars don't stack. So having both isn't that useful usually. Some people do it sometimes if they want to passive scout and do some active scouting later...but generally just optics is preferred unless you're in a tank with poor view range (like that UDES you're talking about).

Make sure you have camouflage on all of your crew. It takes the average of their percentages...so a 4-person crew with only 2 members having 100% camo and the other 2 not even having it reduces your camo value a lot.

The Swedish td's all have good camo, especially the UDES and up. And they have the benefit of siege mode so their camo net doesn't "break" if they turn. It's not unusual for lower tier light tanks to get out-spotted by them if they're using binos since tier 8 lights generally have low view range.

Also depends on what tank you're using. Looks like you're using the wz-132. It's more of a passive scout. STAY ALIVE and be influential later in the game. Don't be trying to active scout early on most maps. Find a good bush to sit in that can see stuff, and be patient. After some tanks have died you can find holes to get around the enemy. Watch some youtube videos on it, there are quite a few.

Sonny_2013 #3 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 09:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28251 battles
thats pretty much how i scout ....sit in a bush i get alot of complaints but i figure they really dont understand scouting...in the chinese tanks the enemy comes to you and you canr emain unspotted and they get lit up others probably scout different....i didnt know about the not stacking i have optics and binoculars so and ventilation class maybe thats what you mean doesnt stack...i cant see the binocs and optics not working together...im at 485 view range atm but my crew isnt full yet i have them brothers in arms and im going to use the other stuff maybe camo some guys i didnt know that trick im still elarning this scouting stuff. ill watch the video here. i dont really use camo but thats about all i got from this video im trying it out now....i was wondering view range but camo helps i guess while scouting even.

Edited by Sonny_2013, Nov 08 2019 - 09:52.

I_QQ_4_U #4 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 12:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 23420 battles

Camo is the most important skill for lights, so train that asap on your crew and always use paint, BIA will also boost it. VR is good to have but lights make good scouts because they can get in closer than other tanks so not being seen is more important. Having said that I wouldn't bother with a camo net, passive scouting has it's place but a good scout doesn't just sit in a bush the whole game(might be why people are getting mad at you). Not to mention a lot of maps are really bad for it.

Optics and binocs don't stack, one works all the time the other only when you're sitting still for 3 seconds.

Izgoy0899 #5 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 14:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 673 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Nov 08 2019 - 12:46, said:

Camo is the most important skill for lights, so train that asap on your crew and always use paint, BIA will also boost it. VR is good to have but lights make good scouts because they can get in closer than other tanks so not being seen is more important. Having said that I wouldn't bother with a camo net, passive scouting has it's place but a good scout doesn't just sit in a bush the whole game(might be why people are getting mad at you). Not to mention a lot of maps are really bad for it.

Optics and binocs don't stack, one works all the time the other only when you're sitting still for 3 seconds.

I'd say both camo and VR are equally important to get full as soon as you can.  When I started with my Lt-432 I was getting outspotted even with 440-445 VR and full camo.  It wasn't until I got it up to 450 that I could see a balance in things. 

Edited by Izgoy0899, Nov 08 2019 - 14:06.

Insanefriend #6 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:04

Captain

• Players
  • 47013 battles
So long as your view range is around 460m your fine as a scout.  Camo on the move is the most important thing a scout can have though.  Which sadly doesn't have use on a lot of maps due to the small size and as you go up tiers medium tanks can spot as well as most scouts.  Which makes higher tier scouts other then the EBR 105 kind of not use full at the moment.  If they changed camo nets to give you a small camo boost on the move as a scout tank, scouting might come alive again.  Till then most Russian mediums can scout about as well but not be useless in a brawl.

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #7 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 26767 battles
You can try dropping the bionics for vents if your crew has bia on all at 100% and it may boost it better. With a vent directive. Just a idea.

comradekillshot #8 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19562 battles
  • [IRE] IRE

Best Economy scout

Grind down the Russian Light tanks tree. Get the T-54 LT. Put camo on the hull. 

Equipmet: Binocs, Camo Net, and skill vent

Crew Skills: BIA, Concealment, Recon, Situational Awareness, and sixth sense

Find a nice bush that is forward but not too forward that has a direct line of sight where you know tanks are going to push through. Then sit in it quietly and watch the magic happen. On some maps where you have a long row of bushes slowly push up the flank stopping every so often to allow for your camo net and binocs to turn on.  And dont be afraid of letting enemy tanks get close as crapto you. I have had tanks drive within 100 meters and still not spot me. Some tanks have such a poor view range they have to proxy spot you.

EDIT: AND remember DO NOT fire your gun unless you absolutely must or you have a strong feeling nothing will spot you if you fire.

Edited by comradekillshot, Nov 08 2019 - 15:47.

I_QQ_4_U #9 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 15:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 23420 battles

View PostIzgoy0899, on Nov 08 2019 - 14:02, said:

I'd say both camo and VR are equally important to get full as soon as you can.  When I started with my Lt-432 I was getting outspotted even with 440-445 VR and full camo.  It wasn't until I got it up to 450 that I could see a balance in things. 

Camo is more important. It's the defining feature of the class.

TacoJohnHG #10 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 20:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 44243 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostSonny_2013, on Nov 08 2019 - 02:31, said:

thats pretty much how i scout ....sit in a bush i get alot of complaints but i figure they really dont understand scouting...in the chinese tanks the enemy comes to you and you canr emain unspotted and they get lit up others probably scout different....i didnt know about the not stacking i have optics and binoculars so and ventilation class maybe thats what you mean doesnt stack...i cant see the binocs and optics not working together...im at 485 view range atm but my crew isnt full yet i have them brothers in arms and im going to use the other stuff maybe camo some guys i didnt know that trick im still elarning this scouting stuff. ill watch the video here. i dont really use camo but thats about all i got from this video im trying it out now....i was wondering view range but camo helps i guess while scouting even.

If you're getting a lot of complaints, you're probably being TOO passive. There's a difference in passive scouting and just sitting in a random bush all game lol. I'd wager your lack of camo is the root of most of your problems.

You ABSOLUTELY want camo on all of your crew. Lights and meds should ALWAYS take camo first over anything except 6th sense (and if you have a fair bit of bonds, take camo first and use the 6th sense directive). There's only maybe 2-3 mediums in the game I would take something over camo first if I were starting a new crew. In a tank like the wz-132, camo is by far your most valuable asset. Light tanks get camo on the move, so you can drive around and keep your camo, where other classes lose camo as soon as they move.

You don't have to take my word for it on binos/optics not stacking, you can read the wiki about them or read their tooltip because I'm pretty sure it tells you as well.

BiA only works when the skill is at 100% on all crew members...so if you don't have it on all of them, you're just wasting a crew skill essentially. I'd recommend using crew books and boost it up if you can afford that. BiA is a good skill to have, but it only adds a small amount. Roughly 3.5% to any skill in particular...And again, that's after you have it at 100% on ALL CREW.

Edited by TacoJohnHG, Nov 08 2019 - 20:49.

Boghie #11 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 00:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8733 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Lots of good advice...

Camo and View Range.  Camo and View Range.  Camo and View Range.  And, 6th Sense...

You NEED Paint.  Paint gets your 'negative VR' (camo) to 19.70%.  That means you burn almost 20% of the distance at which a tank can VR you.

You NEED Coated Optics.  Binos are of value early in the grind before you get CO, but after I get CO I dump the binos.  CO gets your VR to 418m

You SHOULD HAVE Vents.  Dump the binos.  Get the VR AND concealment benefits (as well as other skill bonuses) available via vents.

CAMO:  So you absolutely need all (or 3 of them if you go 6th) crew members to have concealment.  That is a must have first skill on an LT.  Concealment (camo) doesn't drop on movement in an LT - it does on all other classes.  Speed and maneuverability are your armor.  Be the guy everybody gets mad at because they go invisible on the move.  Be that guy.  Learn to 'go dark' before relocating.  3 crew members with concealment gets your concealment rating to 21.02%; with 4 you get to 21.15%.  If an enemy tank has 400m of VR he/she now has a VR of 316m against you.

Danger:  Then grind 6th Sense on the commander.  Learn to use 6th Sense to probe for enemy that is bushed up.  At this point 6th Sense is kinda a defensive sonar.  Pop out and dump back into cover - did 6th go off.  If so, someones watching that line of sight.  If not, nobody has line of site to that location.

VR:  Grind Recon, grind Situational Awareness.  These are skills and progressively improve as you enhance them.  They stack.  Recon increases your VR by 2%.  Doesn't sound like much, eh.  But that 2% gets you to 426m.  SA is a 3% boost - which gets you to 440m.

VR:  CO, SA, and Recon increases your VR from to 440m from 380m.  That is 60m.  Yummy.

VR, Camo:  Grind BIA.  BIA gets your VR to 462m.  It increases your concealment to 22.83%.

This is a nice calculator:  http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator

Learn the soft cover bush lines and use them.  You do not have to be passive to use bush lines.  Just be cognizant and keep bushes between you and where you think they are.

If TDs are outspotting you then they are bushed up.  That is why 6th Sense has value.  You can use it to probe for bushed up LTs and TDs with short pokes out of hardcover.  If you are mid game and you spot TDs on the red-line (or located them via 6th Sense probe) basically ignore them.  Let them sit peacefully there.  They will be happy.  That type of player is in Battle Chat telling what remains of his team to 'Let them come to us!!!'.  Their LTs are now dead, their MTs now have limited freedom of movement (certain death for a MT), and their HTs are on a distant flank.  Probe them, lock them in place with that nasty 6th Sense Sound (they hear it), and flex to the other flank or return to base.  Once their aggressive players are dealt with get to that lucious XP offered by the guys camping in the back.  They are plumped up and slow after a big picnic lunch.  Yummy.

Now, if your probe fires up early and mid-field you are likely dealing with a bushed up LT.  That guy has to be taken out.  Your job is to either spot or kill that guy - the sooner the better.  Stick your fingers in the enemies eyes and pull 'em out.  I hear they are good with habanero sauce.

Finally, realize that you can use your VR to push the enemy around.  What happens when your 6th Sense goes off.  We all basically scurry like cockroaches to safety.  You can completely change a game and force the enemy into lousy positions by slamming them with nothing but VR.

GLHF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users