WoT Honoring military vets / USAR and NG

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

AMSRocker #1 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:12

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

First off I'd like to thank you WoT for creating a program to honor our military vets with special perks and gifts. I think it's a great idea.

But.... You left a bunch of us military vets out!!! I was a United States Army Reservist. I was never activated to active status so I don't have a DD214 but I do have an Honorable Discharge. 

Why did you leave out all of us USAR and National Guardsmen out? Last time I checked we signed our names on a line and put our lives on the line for our country! I was not called into active status because at the time I served the USAR and NG was not getting activated. I know I'm not the only USAR and NG vet here that is in that status. That is not our fault that the USA was not at war and did not need us.

I'd like to ask you to kindly include ALL USAR and NG men and women who served and completed service with an Honorable Discharge into your program too.

Thank you

DomoSapien #2 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:40

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14965 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Howdy, I'm talking with a couple of my coworkers who are Veterans and they're telling me you should be able to verify with ID.me.
The DD214 is not the only verification option they offer, when you select "upload military documentation" some of the documents listed include NGB Form 22, Leave & Earnings Statements (LES), Veteran Health Identification Cards (VHIC) and Veteran Identification Cards (VIC)

Additionally there is the option for ID.me to search military service records however I'm not sure how all that works/ if it only looks through active duty records but it's certainly worth a shot.

Frankly I would recommend contacting ID.me support, since it's their service their team is more familiar with the limitations of their verification methods. You can contact their Support team by clicking the little '(?) Support'  button at the bottom of the verification window and going through the prompts.

dunniteowl #3 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Id.me can ONLY look at service records of personnel who mustered out AFTER September 1985.  (This is what they told me, I missed the date by four months, mustered out in June 1985).

You can use digitally sent 'photocopies' of your:  Form DD214, LES (Leave and Earnings Statements), Official Discharge Papers and the other things Domo listed above.  There are more forms they also can use if you provide them.  You will have to do the legwork at that point.

As I have a package of materials I kept since leaving in June 1985, it's not an issue for me.

All I have to do is get my ISP to allow P2P and I could bother sending those in.  I don't see the point of a "Reward" for me if I can't even login.  Which is how it is now.

The rest of you?  You can USE your documents you have on hand, digitally transmit them to ID.me and you should be good to go.

GL, HF & HSYBF! Someday
OvO

AMSRocker #4 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:48

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

View PostDomoSapien, on Nov 08 2019 - 09:40, said:

Howdy, I'm talking with a couple of my coworkers who are Veterans and they're telling me you should be able to verify with ID.me.
The DD214 is not the only verification option they offer, when you select "upload military documentation" some of the documents listed include NGB Form 22, Leave & Earnings Statements (LES), Veteran Health Identification Cards (VHIC) and Veteran Identification Cards (VIC)

Additionally there is the option for ID.me to search military service records however I'm not sure how all that works/ if it only looks through active duty records but it's certainly worth a shot.

Frankly I would recommend contacting ID.me support, since it's their service their team is more familiar with the limitations of their verification methods. You can contact their Support team by clicking the little '(?) Support'  button at the bottom of the verification window and going through the prompts.

Nope. I do NOT have a DD214! You can ONLY get a DD214 when you are activated. I do not qualify for VA medical benefits too. All of the things you listed to be part of this program are ONLY for activated USAR and NG personnel. 

• Must provide a copy of your military document:
  • DD214
  • NGB form 22
  • Leave & Earnings Statement (LES)
  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
  • Veteran Identification Card (VIC)

ALL of the above is for active personal...... unless I miss read one.

kebab6597 #5 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:51

Major

• Players
  • 58521 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
I wish there was something like ID.me for those of us that served countries outside the USA, but hey its great that the US vets are getting stuff the rest of us can hope that in the future we can be included

AMSRocker #6 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 08 2019 - 09:48, said:

Id.me can ONLY look at service records of personnel who mustered out AFTER September 1985.  (This is what they told me, I missed the date by four months, mustered out in June 1985).

You can use digitally sent 'photocopies' of your:  Form DD214, LES (Leave and Earnings Statements), Official Discharge Papers and the other things Domo listed above.  There are more forms they also can use if you provide them.  You will have to do the legwork at that point.

As I have a package of materials I kept since leaving in June 1985, it's not an issue for me.

All I have to do is get my ISP to allow P2P and I could bother sending those in.  I don't see the point of a "Reward" for me if I can't even login.  Which is how it is now.

The rest of you?  You can USE your documents you have on hand, digitally transmit them to ID.me and you should be good to go.

GL, HF & HSYBF! Someday
OvO

I kept my military file too. It's in the bank vault.

AMSRocker #7 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 18:56

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

View Postkebab6597, on Nov 08 2019 - 09:51, said:

I wish there was something like ID.me for those of us that served countries outside the USA, but hey its great that the US vets are getting stuff the rest of us can hope that in the future we can be included

I have a friend who served in the Canadian Navy. (Canoe with a .22 rifle mounted on it :teethhappy: Just kidding!!!) 

I'm all for service men and women from all around the world getting recognized too!

DOMlNO #8 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18055 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 08 2019 - 12:48, said:

I was in 1982-1985 and it was able to verify me.

Herschel_Krustofski #9 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 94954 battles
  • [KISS] KISS

View PostAMSRocker, on Nov 08 2019 - 12:48, said:

Nope. I do NOT have a DD214! You can ONLY get a DD214 when you are activated. I do not qualify for VA medical benefits too. All of the things you listed to be part of this program are ONLY for activated USAR and NG personnel. 

• DD214
  • NGB form 22

Guard and Reserve members who complete their term of service are issued a DD Form 256 (Honorable Discharge Certificate) or DD Form 257 (General Discharge Certificate) upon completion of their term. This is the reserve equivalent of a DD-214, but only issued at end of service.

DomoSapien #10 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:22

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 14965 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostAMSRocker, on Nov 08 2019 - 11:48, said:

• DD214
  • NGB form 22

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 08 2019 - 11:48, said:

GL, HF & HSYBF! Someday
OvO

Well, I'm certainly no expert in Military paperwork since I never served and neither did my family, but I would recommend contacting ID.me support to see if there's anything they can do to point you in the right direction.  Ultimately we don't have the means to do this ourselves and ID.me is the best option for our needs.

It's certainly worth a shot, not trying definitely won't solve the issue, even if there is a possibility of those efforts ultimately being fruitless.

dunniteowl #11 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Re-read my post: If you mustered out AFTER September 1985, your records are online for Id.me.  You have to send in supporting documentation for them to find you if you mustered out BEFORE September 1985.

I missed the moment by four months.  No biggie for me. I still have a set of my fatigues with name tapes and insignia on them -- and my original combat boots.  They were actually one of the best fitting pairs of shoes, I've ever had.  Gotta get them resoled.  I got like 4 years of Leave and Earnings Statements, umpteen Certificates of Official Training Completion, several Honorable Mentions and my DD214, plus my Discharge Papers and even my paperwork for having to sign up for the Ready Reserve (really? I just got out after four years and I have to register for selective service?  Really?  Yes, I was under age 26, so I had to).

I would encourage any and all of you Reservists and Guards to find something to send them and just cross your fingers.  It's always worth a shot.

As I discovered in the military, "It is better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Good Luck you guys, I'm rooting for you, honest!

GL, HF & HSYBF! Someday

OvO

(and Domo, my issue is NOT with Id.me, it's my ISP telling me, "No," to P2P.  I don't see the value of a "reward" I cannot access in game, because I cannot update with the WGC now, but thanks for the encouragement.  Could I encourage you to encourage the coding department to allow old style downloads for those few of us who are stuck with Medieval ISP services?  That would be nice).

HOTA_CHATON #12 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:41

Major

• Players
  • 13614 battles
  • [MSG] MSG

View PostAMSRocker, on Nov 08 2019 - 11:12, said:

First off I'd like to thank you WoT for creating a program to honor our military vets with special perks and gifts. I think it's a great idea.

But.... You left a bunch of us military vets out!!! I was a United States Army Reservist. I was never activated to active status so I don't have a DD214 but I do have an Honorable Discharge. 

Why did you leave out all of us USAR and National Guardsmen out? Last time I checked we signed our names on a line and put our lives on the line for our country! I was not called into active status because at the time I served the USAR and NG was not getting activated. I know I'm not the only USAR and NG vet here that is in that status. That is not our fault that the USA was not at war and did not need us.

I'd like to ask you to kindly include ALL USAR and NG men and women who served and completed service with an Honorable Discharge into your program too.

Thank you

I'm a vet and have never heard of that.  I hope you can get it squared away.

HOTA_CHATON #13 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:43

Major

• Players
  • 13614 battles
  • [MSG] MSG
I mustered out in 1982, my records were destroyed by the huge fire, in St Louis, back in the 90's or so and it only took me 2 hours or less to get verified.  Believe me, they will help you every step of the way.  I don't know what you will have to do but it can be done.

Syberfly #14 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 19:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25907 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1
For me I'll never send any of my Military doc's to any one over the internet. I don't care who they say they are.

HTTR4Life #15 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 20:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35408 battles
  • [FMBB] FMBB

View PostAMSRocker, on Nov 08 2019 - 12:12, said:

Thank you

I originally was National Guard for 12 years then went active for another 14 years. When you go to Basic Training and AIT you are on active duty even if you are National Guard or Reserve. They issue you a DD214 when you graduate and are sent back to you Reserve or Guard unit. I have received a DD214 on 4 seperate occasions and a NGB 22 twice. Somewhere along the line you got a DD214 releasing you from your Basic and AIT. Check your records or call the Va and request your military records.

Edited by HTTR4Life, Nov 08 2019 - 20:23.

_Kradok_ #16 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 21:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 33455 battles

View PostSyberfly, on Nov 08 2019 - 13:59, said:

For me I'll never send any of my Military doc's to any one over the internet. I don't care who they say they are.

Good for you Scooter.  That has NOTHING to do with ID.me, but hey... glad you're secure.

KRZYBooP #17 Posted Nov 08 2019 - 22:14

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4127 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostSyberfly, on Nov 08 2019 - 12:59, said:

You don't have to if you got out of the Military past 1985. 

You can also verify with a USAA account that only the military and family have access to. 

View PostAMSRocker, on Nov 08 2019 - 11:12, said:

Thank you

Here is a pamphletof your VA benefits that you qualify for.

You can also check out this Website.

If you have other questions about your eligibility you can talk to their support team HERE

My point is that you need to sign in to the VA.gov website and you can only due that if you served. One of the ways to sign in is Through ID.me. 

There are other National Guard and Reserves Members that are part of the Salute program. While WG may not be able to help, you can find Help with the ID.me, or VA.gov support team. 

You may think that this is a lot of trouble for a Video Game, but ID.me emails you places that are offering discounts specifically for Veterans. It was created to make Vets life a little easier with one Sign in that says I am a Vet and this sign in option is proof I am verified. 

AMSRocker #18 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 02:27

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

View PostHTTR4Life, on Nov 08 2019 - 11:21, said:

I originally was National Guard for 12 years then went active for another 14 years. When you go to Basic Training and AIT you are on active duty even if you are National Guard or Reserve. They issue you a DD214 when you graduate and are sent back to you Reserve or Guard unit. I have received a DD214 on 4 seperate occasions and a NGB 22 twice. Somewhere along the line you got a DD214 releasing you from your Basic and AIT. Check your records or call the Va and request your military records.

I'll have to dig through my paperwork. I don't ever remember getting a DD214 for getting shipped form Ft.Lenardwood going back to my home reserve unit.

And to be honest I may not have it.... I might only have the paperwork from my personal unit. Yes it should be ALL there in that packet but my unit at the time.....had....issues.

AMSRocker #19 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 02:37

Major

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY

View PostKRZYBooP, on Nov 08 2019 - 13:14, said:

You don't have to if you got out of the Military past 1985. 

You can also verify with a USAA account that only the military and family have access to. 

Here is a pamphletof your VA benefits that you qualify for.

You can also check out this Website.

If you have other questions about your eligibility you can talk to their support team HERE

My point is that you need to sign in to the VA.gov website and you can only due that if you served. One of the ways to sign in is Through ID.me. 

There are other National Guard and Reserves Members that are part of the Salute program. While WG may not be able to help, you can find Help with the ID.me, or VA.gov support team. 

You may think that this is a lot of trouble for a Video Game, but ID.me emails you places that are offering discounts specifically for Veterans. It was created to make Vets life a little easier with one Sign in that says I am a Vet and this sign in option is proof I am verified. 

I read through your links and they quickly go right to the point that I needed to be active. 

In the end your company may not control who meets the needs of getting a DD214 but you CAN control who you reward for different levels of service.

I have NEVER asked for any benefits from the VA. I have not now or ever claimed to be a war hero or played myself up to being more then what I did for my country. I STILL proudly have my Army Class A uniform from when I was a young man wrapped in plastic and hanging in my closet.  But time and time again over my life I feel that I'm nothing more then a second class serviceman. "Veterans we love you!........ oh you were not active? yeah........ thanks......I think......."  To me that is how it feels over and over... 

Anyway. Thank you WoT for listening to my plea.

The_Chieftain #20 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 03:51

Military Specialist

• Administrator
  • 13820 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Well, I'm curious. When you contacted ID.me support, what did they tell you?

I mean, ultimately, I guess we're in the same position as anyone else you are claiming service towards. If you don't have any documentation at all, how do you, for example, prove to a prospective employer at a job interview that you were in? If you do have  such documentation, will id.me not accept it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users