Spooky Missions - Huge Fail

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

TooFast4Radar #1 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 18:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10856 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY
Last night I got the pop-up about the 'Spooky Challenge' for Halloween (you know the holiday last month).  I opened he panel for the event in game and perhaps I just didn't read it correctly, but when I looked at it I thought it was like the Play Your Tank Class where you have to enter ALL of the codes instead of one.  WHY they have it set up like that is beyond me, but I guess I'm just used to entering a metric ton of these stupid codes to get anything done.  So I clicked (1) for the AMX 1390 and it had the code populated and hit submit.  Then I went back to enter the second code and saw the notification that the code wasn't valid.  That's about the time I realized I had totally screwed myself because I have no intention of ever getting the AMX 13 90.  I opened a ticket to see if they could change it to the M103 (which I already have).  I'm guessing I'll just get a tough luck message back.  So for anyone else who didn't start it yet please make sure you CHOOSE THE ONE that you want because that's all you get.  If they don't change it over I'm not going to bother doing any of the "event" - if you can even call it that.

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 18:32

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Stopped reading at:  "I just didn't read it correctly".

TooFast4Radar #3 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 18:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10856 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY
Stopped caring at: Your Post

_bishop_x #4 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 42586 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD

It's all on you OP for not fully reading.

Now you have incentive to get the 13 90 I guess.

TooFast4Radar #5 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10856 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY

No I agree it's my fault for not reading it carefully enough.  All of these stupid codes we have to enter put me me in the habit of spending as little time as possible entering all of them and trying to rush through them.  We spend entirely too much time entering codes so when I see them I've just become accustomed to going back to enter another 5 codes just to do one simple thing.

I still don't have any incentive to get the 13 90.  To me that's like saying I should look forward to a piece of cake if I jump off the second floor of a parking deck.  Thanks but no thanks.

Veracks #6 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23022 battles
  • [SU] SU
I'm more annoyed that the 3D style isn't for more tanks. The selection is rather poor.

Siergen #7 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10239 battles
  • [H_FUN] H_FUN
I do agree that the user-interface designs on the WoT website seem to put more emphasis on being visually appealing than in being intuitive to the user.  Simply changing the text of each button to "Click to work towards ONLY this tank" would have been a big help.  Another choice could have been old-style radio-buttons with a single "Click to choice this mission" button.

I_QQ_4_U #8 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 23420 battles
It's not the missions that are a fail here.

__Worm__ #9 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 35136 battles

View PostTooFast4Radar, on Nov 09 2019 - 10:22, said:

perhaps I just didn't read it correctly, but when I looked at it I thought it was like the Play Your Tank Class where you have to enter ALL of the codes instead of one. 

Too Fast 4 Reading

:trollface:

AllieOop2 #10 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 20:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12 battles
Sharing the huge fail with WG an your own mistakes is big of you. But hey if its up as a mission why worry about it unless it so good you cant ignore it. I just play an ignore all their promos if I finish one I look an go ok that's nice.

the_dude_76 #11 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 20:27

Major

• Players
  • 34321 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM
There's no reason to believe that support won't help you to correct your mistake. I'd submit that coming to the forums to cry before giving them a chance to even respond was your second "huge fail"...

JakeTheMystic #12 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 22:47

Major

• Players
  • 25015 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
The styles suck terribly anyway unless you buy the 3D one for the E50. 

DerJager #13 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 06:47

Major

• Players
  • 6168 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

WG has decided that they are going to require multiple codes to accomplish what can be done automatically. This is their failure.

WG has decided to be inconsistent with their application of codes and events. This is their failure.

WG has de emphasized efforts in their UI. This is their failure. 

Both the OP and WG's actions resulted in the outcome, but WG has failed on multiple fronts in this matter. The OP's failure amounts to clicking "I agree" without reading a EULA.

Sure the OP should have read more carefully. But this does not mean that WG has not screwed up in their own right, and anyone saying otherwise does not understand basic design principles.

NeutronRaptor #14 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 11:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30917 battles

Yeah it was your own fault for not reading since it literally tells you to choose wisely and you can only enter in one but I also think this is partly on WG end since the code system currently is just dumb. I think the missions tab in game needs a complete re-work. It was actually more simple and user friendly in the past before they updated for for the sake of updating it where it actually takes longer to load in the missions and has even less options for sorting. 

Just give us missions that don't need codes anymore in game. Put a tab in the missions section for Top of the Tree/On Tack/Play Your Tank Right for everything instead of needing codes. That way all those missions are separated from the unique normal missions we get each month and don't take up space on the main tab since that is what they mainly care about. Since Tankrewards are standardized now they can even make that its own tab too. 

TooFast4Radar #15 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 14:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10856 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY

View PostNeutronRaptor, on Nov 10 2019 - 04:09, said:

Yeah it was your own fault for not reading since it literally tells you to choose wisely and you can only enter in one but I also think this is partly on WG end since the code system currently is just dumb. I think the missions tab in game needs a complete re-work. It was actually more simple and user friendly in the past before they updated for for the sake of updating it where it actually takes longer to load in the missions and has even less options for sorting. 

Just give us missions that don't need codes anymore in game. Put a tab in the missions section for Top of the Tree/On Tack/Play Your Tank Right for everything instead of needing codes. That way all those missions are separated from the unique normal missions we get each month and don't take up space on the main tab since that is what they mainly care about. Since Tankrewards are standardized now they can even make that its own tab too. 

I just got the “Go pound sand” email from WG support as expected.  I agree there’s no reason for the layout and why are we having to enter codes on a website for an in-game mission?  If there was text that said “Pick One:” with bullet buttons where you just select one and hit submit it would have been easier and way more clear.

Like I said I have blame here, but at the same time WG’s system for selecting missions is absolute garbage.  I didn’t think it was overly clear at a cursory read.  It only made sense after I couldn’t enter another code.  I find it interesting that they were capable of creating a game that on so many fronts is really quite good yet at the same time aren’t capable (or willing) to do a lot of these little things to make the user experience pleasant and easy.  Plus any time you hope there’s a glimmer of hope that support might be able to do something you get an email that starts with a few lines of  “Sorry for the issue we are going to take care of you” followed any another paragraph that essentially says “Well you’re screwed, but thanks for all the money you’ve spent on our game. Enjoy it and keep buying years off premium and premium tanks.  Bye!”  You guys got my hopes up only to be brought back down to my prior level of expectation again.

the_dude_76 #16 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:29

Major

• Players
  • 34321 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostTooFast4Radar, on Nov 10 2019 - 07:24, said:

If there was text that said “Pick One:” with bullet buttons where you just select one and hit submit it would have been easier and way more clear.

What they should have done is sent someone to everyone's house to hold their hands as they made the choice....

Seriously dude, right above the options there is a big red box with text that starts out the word "IMPORTANT". If that didn't capture your attention during your "cursory read" then it is painfully obvious that nothing would have. You didn't pay any attention at all, you just saw a box and clicked on it. Yes the code thing is garbage but that has ZERO to do with your mistake. 

View PostTooFast4Radar, on Nov 10 2019 - 07:24, said:

You guys got my hopes up only to be brought back down to my prior level of expectation again.

I'll take the blame for this because I didn't bother to go look at the page again yesterday. It says right in the warning, the one that you somehow missed, that changing will be impossible. But the question now becomes, if you have such a low opinion of the company why do you continue to support them??

the_dude_76 #17 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:35

Major

• Players
  • 34321 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostDerJager, on Nov 09 2019 - 23:47, said:

WG has decided that they are going to require multiple codes to accomplish what can be done automatically. This is their failure.

WG has decided to be inconsistent with their application of codes and events. This is their failure.

WG has de emphasized efforts in their UI. This is their failure. 

Both the OP and WG's actions resulted in the outcome, but WG has failed on multiple fronts in this matter. The OP's failure amounts to clicking "I agree" without reading a EULA.

Sure the OP should have read more carefully. But this does not mean that WG has not screwed up in their own right, and anyone saying otherwise does not understand basic design principles.

So why are they doing the code thing on this server?? Do you know?? Because if you don't know their reasoning you can't say whether it is a mistake or not... Obviously...

DeviouslyCursed #18 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4936 battles

View PostTooFast4Radar, on Nov 10 2019 - 14:24, said:

I just got the “Go pound sand” email from WG support as expected.  I agree there’s no reason for the layout and why are we having to enter codes on a website for an in-game mission?  If there was text that said “Pick One:” with bullet buttons where you just select one and hit submit it would have been easier and way more clear.

Like I said I have blame here, but at the same time WG’s system for selecting missions is absolute garbage.  I didn’t think it was overly clear at a cursory read.  It only made sense after I couldn’t enter another code.  I find it interesting that they were capable of creating a game that on so many fronts is really quite good yet at the same time aren’t capable (or willing) to do a lot of these little things to make the user experience pleasant and easy.  Plus any time you hope there’s a glimmer of hope that support might be able to do something you get an email that starts with a few lines of  “Sorry for the issue we are going to take care of you” followed any another paragraph that essentially says “Well you’re screwed, but thanks for all the money you’ve spent on our game. Enjoy it and keep buying years off premium and premium tanks.  Bye!”  You guys got my hopes up only to be brought back down to my prior level of expectation again.

OMG dude, it was crystal-freaking-clear. This is literally right above the codes. Copied straight from the webpage (though I changed the white text to black so you can see it on the forums)

IMPORTANT: You can earn only one (1) 3D Style of the entire set of five horror-themed looks. Think carefully about your choice, because changing it is impossible! You can get one of the five 3D Styles only once per account.

Edited by DeviouslyCursed, Nov 10 2019 - 18:47.

Guido1212 #19 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:59

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 82019 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostTooFast4Radar, on Nov 09 2019 - 17:22, said:

Last night I got the pop-up about the 'Spooky Challenge' for Halloween (you know the holiday last month).  I opened he panel for the event in game and perhaps I just didn't read it correctly, but when I looked at it I thought it was like the Play Your Tank Class where you have to enter ALL of the codes instead of one.  WHY they have it set up like that is beyond me, but I guess I'm just used to entering a metric ton of these stupid codes to get anything done.  So I clicked (1) for the AMX 1390 and it had the code populated and hit submit.  Then I went back to enter the second code and saw the notification that the code wasn't valid.  That's about the time I realized I had totally screwed myself because I have no intention of ever getting the AMX 13 90.  I opened a ticket to see if they could change it to the M103 (which I already have).  I'm guessing I'll just get a tough luck message back.  So for anyone else who didn't start it yet please make sure you CHOOSE THE ONE that you want because that's all you get.  If they don't change it over I'm not going to bother doing any of the "event" - if you can even call it that.

It was confusing.  It took me 10-15 minutes to figure out that page.  1 mission was automatic, one was a code, but you only chose one and one wasn't even a mission but a sales skin, 3 to be exact.

Not sure why the chorus of yammering about "learn to read" responses.  It was confusing and having one be a code and one be automatic, and having them on one page with a third part being a sale was poor presentation.  Know why I knew how to be careful?  This post.  Know when I finally figured out I needed to put in a code, Sunday morning.

Very frustrating.

I_QQ_4_U #20 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 20:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 23420 battles

View PostGuido1212, on Nov 10 2019 - 18:59, said:

It was confusing.  It took me 10-15 minutes to figure out that page.  1 mission was automatic, one was a code, but you only chose one and one wasn't even a mission but a sales skin, 3 to be exact.

Not sure why the chorus of yammering about "learn to read" responses.  It was confusing and having one be a code and one be automatic, and having them on one page with a third part being a sale was poor presentation.  Know why I knew how to be careful?  This post.  Know when I finally figured out I needed to put in a code, Sunday morning.

Very frustrating.

I didn't find it hard to understand at all and I usually find WG's way of explaining things to usually be rather confusing. It would have been nice if they had told us the tanks the styles are for where on sale though, would have missed that if I hadn't of checked the tech tree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users