Crew Strategy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

cantgobacknow #1 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 21:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13349 battles
  • [IKU2] IKU2

I've just fully researched my Strv m/42.

My commander has 6th sense at 33%, Gunner is 32% concealment, loader is 42% concealment, and my driver is 102% and can't quite yet start into a skill.

I don't have a Swedish premium, and my goal is to not spend real money to keep crew at 100% when moving them from one tank to the next.

So my question is should I buy my tier VI Strv 74 right now, move my crew and pay for the 80% option? Or maybe stay in the current tank till they get skills higher?

I really want the tier X, so sticking around at tier V for months doesn't appeal to me.

What strategies do you guys use when moving crew into the next tier?

cantgobacknow #2 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 21:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13349 battles
  • [IKU2] IKU2

I'm not horribly opposed to buying the STRV M/42-57 ALT A.2 if that provides a big advantage. But I can't see that a second tank for the same crew to train it would help much (I could just train them in my tank of choice)

Vulcan_Spectre #3 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 22:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5629 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
Get strv m/42-57, it is super fun. I have mine marked

gingerted91 #4 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 23:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1494 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View Postcantgobacknow, on Nov 09 2019 - 21:52, said:

I don't have a Swedish premium, and my goal is to not spend real money to keep crew at 100% when moving them from one tank to the next.

This is not really possible.

Under Tier 5 its usually better to just buy a crew for credits and not bring it along.

The best return on investment is to retrain crews to a new tank via the Credit Option (retain 90% XP).

Run boosters, do your daily times X missions, and whatever other missions help until the crew is 100% again (its about 40K XP from 90%)

Another option is start a crew in the free T2 Swede premium (if you have it or can get it) and grind up a skill then respec them for a different class via the Credit Option (retain 80% XP)

One other option is: to not choose a skill.  When you go to respec the "Skill XP will drop down and replenish the Tank Specialty XP, thus you can advance the crew and likely still be at 100% (if you have 40K xp or so built up)

Edited by gingerted91, Nov 09 2019 - 23:13.

tod914 #5 Posted Nov 09 2019 - 23:13

Major

• Players
  • 64966 battles

Crew books work great.  Have some credits to burn?  Use the book on the currently assigned tank, then retrain it to the next one in line for silver to 90%.  I would however save my credits right now.  Advent and Black Friday are right around the corner for some decent sales.

Frontline is great mode to make credits if your shy on them.  Run boosters like the other guys mentioned.  You can earn them for free by doing daily missions, etc..

Edited by tod914, Nov 09 2019 - 23:15.

ATruk #6 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 02:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58328 battles

View Posttod914, on Nov 09 2019 - 15:13, said:

Crew books work great.  Have some credits to burn?  Use the book on the currently assigned tank, then retrain it to the next one in line for silver to 90%.  I would however save my credits right now.  Advent and Black Friday are right around the corner for some decent sales.

Frontline is great mode to make credits if your shy on them.  Run boosters like the other guys mentioned.  You can earn them for free by doing daily missions, etc..

This is what I do when I have the credits. If I choose not to use credits, then use any crew books on hand or just make do with what I got. Part of the decision relies on whether I like the current tank.
 Then in the new tank, reset the skills for the 20k cost. The freed up XP then goes to make the crew 100% first, and the remainder is applied to a skill of my choice. The skill must have around 40% for enough XP to fully train the crew member. 
 The OPs commander would fall just short, say something like 98% trained, while his loader would make 100% trained with some left over for a skill. 

OLDIRTYBOMBER #7 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 03:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12025 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY
Drop in a bia-sixth commander, elite the tank and grind to 1 skill for the rest and change them to bia. finding this the best/quickest for getting the best crew performance

cantgobacknow #8 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 04:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13349 battles
  • [IKU2] IKU2

View PostOLDIRTYBOMBER, on Nov 09 2019 - 21:22, said:

Drop in a bia-sixth commander, elite the tank and grind to 1 skill for the rest and change them to bia. finding this the best/quickest for getting the best crew performance

Does changing skills no longer require gold? At least I thought it once had anyway.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 05:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View Postcantgobacknow, on Nov 09 2019 - 14:52, said:

I've just fully researched my Strv m/42.

My commander has 6th sense at 33%, Gunner is 32% concealment, loader is 42% concealment, and my driver is 102% and can't quite yet start into a skill.

So my question is should I buy my tier VI Strv 74 right now, move my crew and pay for the 80% option? Or maybe stay in the current tank till they get skills higher?

I really want the tier X, so sticking around at tier V for months doesn't appeal to me.

What strategies do you guys use when moving crew into the next tier?

Well, I think you should just buy your way up there.  Why wait?  I mean, if you're in such a hurry, then you should run, not walk, to tier 10 as fast as you can.  Then, when you get upset that you can't make any credits or XP worth a damn after about six months, you can then come back to tiers V and VI and spend some time actually learning how to play.

Of course, you could do that now with The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) and spend some time READING and WATCHING folks who know what they're talking about teach you how to play.  Right now, you know nothing, John Snow.  You can play the way you like, honestly.  Let me ask you this, though:

Wouldn't it be MORE FUN to win more, do more damage and feel like you are actually in control of your unit and that you KNOW you can have an overall positive impact on your team and your own enjoyment?

Isn't winning more often more fun?  Isn't being able to supply a large contribution to the team effort more rewarding than knowing you got carried by others who did contribute heavily to that effort?  Is being pulled along by others in your race to tier 10 more enjoyable than putting some time and effort into your learning such that you feel like you are on top of your game?

If you can honestly answer "Yes" to any of those questions then I encourage you to do that thing you don't wish to do and slow down, stick around and LEARN the game before you rush up to tier 10 just to get whacked across your backside every four out of seven games or so.  Use that link, it will help.

And, if nothing else, there is information in that link that will tell you all about how your crew learns and trains, what the Skills and Perks do and how they are acquired.  As an example, your Driver shows 102% and yet cannot train a skill.  Do you have any idea why that might be?

It's, because with the Commander's bonus and whatever else you might be running on the tank (like Vents as a module, for example, or Food as consumables) and that number is 'inflated' by those numbers and if you checked the Driver more closely, you'll see the Actual % level of Crew Qualification they have.  All of that is included in the linked package as well if you can bear to sit down and read a little bit in order to know more about what you're doing.

Yes, changing Skills requires some form of payout.  You can retrain with Credits (but you'll get a hit on overall amounts) or you can retrain with Gold (for no penalty).  Again, that information is in the package.  In that package is a lot of information that can answer questions before you ask here on the forums.

You are NOT a Newb, however you could stand to purposely take the time to just Pay Attention to the Game on Purpose and spend some amount of time focusing on reading the battle field, the mini-map and the team compositions in order to gain a better idea of what you should do when the counter hits Zero.

If you're having a great time as you are now, I'm truly happy for you and wish you well.  If you're not, then please take the time to read some of that stuff in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) so that you can learn to prosper, profit and prepare as you work your way to tier 10.  You should not be in a rush to get anywhere in this game, imo.  That's your choice, though.

As Morpheus in the Matrix says to Neo, "I can only show you the door.  You are the one that has to walk through it."

In either case, 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

cantgobacknow #10 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 07:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13349 battles
  • [IKU2] IKU2

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 09 2019 - 23:20, said:

Well, I think you should just buy your way up there.  Why wait?  I mean, if you're in such a hurry, then you should run, not walk, to tier 10 as fast as you can.  Then, when you get upset that you can't make any credits or XP worth a damn after about six months, you can then come back to tiers V and VI and spend some time actually learning how to play.

Of course, you could do that now with The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) and spend some time READING and WATCHING folks who know what they're talking about teach you how to play.  Right now, you know nothing, John Snow.  You can play the way you like, honestly.  Let me ask you this, though:

Wouldn't it be MORE FUN to win more, do more damage and feel like you are actually in control of your unit and that you KNOW you can have an overall positive impact on your team and your own enjoyment?

Isn't winning more often more fun?  Isn't being able to supply a large contribution to the team effort more rewarding than knowing you got carried by others who did contribute heavily to that effort?  Is being pulled along by others in your race to tier 10 more enjoyable than putting some time and effort into your learning such that you feel like you are on top of your game?

If you can honestly answer "Yes" to any of those questions then I encourage you to do that thing you don't wish to do and slow down, stick around and LEARN the game before you rush up to tier 10 just to get whacked across your backside every four out of seven games or so.  Use that link, it will help.

And, if nothing else, there is information in that link that will tell you all about how your crew learns and trains, what the Skills and Perks do and how they are acquired.  As an example, your Driver shows 102% and yet cannot train a skill.  Do you have any idea why that might be?

Yes, changing Skills requires some form of payout.  You can retrain with Credits (but you'll get a hit on overall amounts) or you can retrain with Gold (for no penalty).  Again, that information is in the package.  In that package is a lot of information that can answer questions before you ask here on the forums.

I have grinded my way to several tier 10s already. Unless the tier X plays like every tank before it, then working your way up doesn't prepare you for the play-style of a specific tank (aside from general knowledge).

Also, if I don't like playing the tanks before the one I want (I'm all about aesthetics), why would I spend even longer in tanks I don't like playing? I enjoy doing what I enjoy doing, and hate everything else

As for watching videos, I've watched every video by Quickybaby, LemmingRush, Jingles, etc.

I don't like playing tanks I don't like, even if I "win more". It's just not fun for me. For me, "fun" is playing tanks that I find aesthetically pleasing. Whether they are tier 1, 2, 10, etc. I tend to like higher tier tanks not because they are higher level, but because they are more aesthetically pleasing to me. Old out-dated machinery doesn't really interest me much. I'd much rather play in MBTs, and would have more fun in those. I tried Armored Warfare, which was fun, but they ignored all of their North American players and drove that into the ground for all but European players.

I don't play to win, I play to have fun. I can have fun even when not winning. If you can't, perhaps you have an addiction or some issue or something.

I didn't ask why I can't train skills at 102%. You seem to have read a question I didn't ask. Please re-read the opening post.

Yes, re-training requires a cost. I said as much in my original post.  The debate is real money versus in game currency really.

I know the game well. I'm just exceptionally bad at anything that requires shades of gray decision-making, or fast, snappy reactions. I'm very black or white (in everything I do), and rarely see anything in between as a possibility). I've not lack of reading or education. Where you might see infinite possibilities (hills to hide behind, bushes, houses to provide cover, etc) I see two paths, the heavy tank path and the path for everything else. And to me, emotionally but not intellectually, there is no variation within each path.

PS: You come off as exceptionally rude.

Edited by cantgobacknow, Nov 10 2019 - 11:06.

dunniteowl #11 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 14:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Why thank you, I work at it.  Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Horses can only be led to water and I did say, if you are happy, then I am happy for you.

And, lastly, I did say, You do you, so enjoy.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

RBSPWAW #12 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 16:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32500 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 10 2019 - 08:48, said:

Why thank you, I work at it.  Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Horses can only be led to water and I did say, if you are happy, then I am happy for you.

And, lastly, I did say, You do you, so enjoy.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Preach brother!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users