Bad habits = bad start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Skyspartan #1 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 498 battles

i started world of tanks blitz before this so the habits i learned are..."ineffective"

my questions are...

-where do i set up or what play-style of each class of tank do i use?

- how do i position myself to avoid  artillery fire

-there is no light bulb on my detection(how crew skills help)

-there is a tank using wheels instead of tracks it weird

-how do i aim artillery

-how to earn more credits

-is passive play better in this game then blitz

madogthefirst #2 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:35

Major

• Players
  • 24715 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostSkyspartan, on Nov 09 2019 - 16:01, said:

i started world of tanks blitz before this so the habits i learned are..."ineffective"

my questions are...

1. -where do i set up or what play-style of each class of tank do i use?
  2. - how do i position myself to avoid  artillery fire
  3. -there is no light bulb on my detection(how crew skills help)
  4. -there is a tank using wheels instead of tracks it weird
  5. -how do i aim artillery
  6. -how to earn more credits
  7. -is passive play better in this game then blitz
  1. Each tank is different from the next, there is no one way to play a class.
  2. Very large buildings and solid cover help prevent arty fire. Each arty has a different shell arc, the brits have the highest and can seemingly drop one on you any time.
  3. Sixth Sense gives you the light bulb when you are detected.
  4. Tanks have tracks, clown cars have wheels.
  5. You aim with arty by hitting the shift key, you can either be in a top down view or a view from the top of the arc. Check your settings to see how to change the 2 views.
  6. Earn credits by doing more damage, spotting, tracking, and getting more kills. Lose less credits by not dying.
  7. Passive play is a killer, you want to put yourself into a position where you can keep firing as often as possible. 2k damage done after the rest of the team is dead is kinda pointless.

Panzerkind #3 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:41

Major

• Players
  • 37349 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostSkyspartan, on Nov 09 2019 - 18:01, said:

-where do i set up or what play-style of each class of tank do i use?

Playstyles for classes are not universal or set-in-stone. There are TDs people play like heavies, there are mediums people play like TDs, etc. You kinda have to figure out each tank and each map for that tank by either trial and error or consulting more experienced players about a specific tank. 

- how do i position myself to avoid  artillery fire

Basically, throughout the course of the early minutes of a game, you figure out where arty is either by getting hit or splashed by them, or teammates pinging the map (rare unfortunately). Then you keep that location in mind and try to play with hard cover between you and that position. Also pay attention to teammates around you who are stunned or arty shots landing nearby. That gives you a window to make a play while arty is on reload. 

-there is no light bulb on my detection(how crew skills help)

It is a crew skill called '6th sense' which you can give to your commander. You can also run directives that give the skill while you are grinding your crew skills on a new crew, but equipping 6th sense on the commander as the first skill is a given for any tank. 

-there is a tank using wheels instead of tracks it weird

Not really a question but I agree. 

-how do i aim artillery

Don't play arty...

-how to earn more credits

Premium accounts and premium tanks help, but you always earn more credits the more you contribute in a battle (kills, damage, assist damage, base capture, base defense, etc.)

-is passive play better in this game then blitz

It depends on a lot of factors like what tank you are in, what the enemy team lineup is, the map, and the particular situation you are in, but in general, this game is more passive than many others. I wouldn't say it's more passive than Warthunder ground battles though. 

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:43

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46562 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

1.)  Heavies fall into 3 types.  Brawlers, hull downers, and heaviums.  The first are slower, usually heavily armed and armored, and best work in cities or close quarters.  Hull downers, like American heavies and British heavies, are designed to engage over cover, protecting their weak hull.  Heaviums are more mobile heavies and tend to favor positioning and map awareness.  Mediums are similar, with brawlers, ridge warriors, and mobility kings.  Lights are mostly about sneak, boosh, and vision mechanics.  Tank destroyers are also broken down into distance or brawlers.  There are exceptions to all of these, but generally are correct. 

2.) Map awareness, hard cover such as houses, cliffs, and ridges can help mitigate it.  This is something you'll have to learn as you play.

3.) Blitz has a much simpler crew system.  You're using 6th sense, which is default in Blitz.  Here, it's a crew perk.  Crews are trained on each tank, and need retrained for each tank they go in EXCEPT for premiums of the same nation AND class.  There's 3 basic training levels: 50%, 75%, and 100%.  50 is free and garbage, 75 is for silver, 100 is gold.  Anything under 100 negatively impacts tank stats such as view range, reload, traverse, aim time, and accuracy.  6th sense, the lightbulb, is a crew perk.  You need to assign it to a commander and it won't kick in until it hits 100%.  That takes anywhere from 25-100 games to accrue the experience towards that perk.  There's a wealth of skills and perks to pick from for each crew member, and some crew have multiple roles.  Skills come into effect right away and improve as you gain experience, perks only work once at 100%.

4.) Those are Armored Cars, and currently only in the French tree.  Hard to hit, accurate, and with low view range.  Get them into tight, narrow spaces where they can't use their speed and mobility and murder them.  In the open or with escape routes, they are very lethal. 

5.) Hit shift, you'll enter sky view.   Hit G for a slightly different view, and shift scroll out to go back to normal 3rd person view.   Move after you shoot, arty can and will counter fire as they can see your shell tracer.   So can you, so keep an eye out. 

6.) Premium account brings in 50% more credits and experience, or make sure you deal damage as it is key to making credits and limit gold/premium round usage.  Deal damage and take less damage, in short. 

6.) Passive play is bad, you want to be the player who sets the tempo of engagements.  You want the enemy reacting to you and your aggression to keep the favor in your court.  There's a time for passive play, but I don't suggest it for ideal gameplay. 

Blitz tanks and PC tanks have tanks and that's where the similarities end.  Leave everything you learned in Blitz at the door, it won't help here. 

Good luck and and remember there are no dumb questions.  Keep looking for knowledge and ask questions when you don't know.  Lots of helpful peeps here.  

Have fun out there. 

-Tsavo

dunniteowl #5 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 03:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

The WoT Welcome Package (version 1)

You need to know how the game works.  Game Mechanics, Crew Information, Tactics, Tips and Techniques from very good players.  It's all in there.

my questions are...

1) -where do i set up or what play-style of each class of tank do i use?

2) - how do i position myself to avoid  artillery fire

3) -there is no light bulb on my detection(how crew skills help)

4) -there is a tank using wheels instead of tracks it weird

5) -how do i aim artillery

6) -how to earn more credits

7) -is passive play better in this game then blitz

1)  Setting up is NOT about Where Specifically on any particular map.  Being flexible is KEY.  This means considering the Teams, both sides, the units and compositions.  You have to learn to 'read' the situation and then position yourself accordingly.  This takes TIME and PATIENCE as well as ATTENTION to the Team Compositions, The Map You Are On and the MINI-MAP as the battle develops and flows during the match.

Each tank, even within the same class is different and you have to adapt your tank and your play style accordingly.  This means knowing your: View Range, Concealment ability, Spotting Capacity, the Cover and Concealment around you, etc.  Not something you can place into a 'standard' response to your question.  it's entirely dependent on the map, your team compositions and the unit you are playing.

2)  You have to, again, know the units to some degree.  Some artillery is going to have a long, relatively "flat" trajectory.  Those types allow you to hide behind pretty much anything taller than you.  The taller the better, period.  Other arty units have a very high trajectory and they are basically Mortar Tanks and the tallest things you can sit beside or behind is going to be your best bet.  That said, knowing the approximate load times of each type of arty you will encounter will help you with movement timing.  A lot of times, you'll get hit by one and then you have to count and hope another one doesn't land on you during that count.  This can give you an idea of their load times.

3) Light Bulb = Sixth Sense.  To my knowledge, you still have to acquire that Perk and you cannot do that if your crew is not at 100% tank qualification without bonuses.  Perks do NOT take effect until they are at 100% training.  Sixth Sense is a Perk, not a Skill.  This will take time to 'grind' or you're going to have to throw Gold at it.  (You can do this by clicking the "Increase" button and then spending the required gold to get where you wish to be).

4) These are Wheeled Vehicles.  Classified as LTs.  They are relatively new and I doubt they are making an appearance on WoT Blitz.  They would unbalance those tiny teams.

5) Answered above:  Shift Key brings up Overhead View.  Using this view, you can CTRL + Right Click your mouse on a Red Team Unit ON THE MINI-MAP and your OV will appear centered above where you clicked.  Now you can "look down" on the targeted area and aim your Dispersion Ring circle (sometimes it will look oval, don't sweat that) and move that over your target.  When that circle shrinks to it's smallest diameter, you are "aimed in" and ready to fire as accurately as you can.

You can also press "G" when in this mode and it will give you a trajectory view from the downward arc of your shell's flight path (projected, because you haven't fired yet) so that you can aim through windows, girders, underneath bridge abutments, etc. to get a more accurate shot path to your target.

6) Do More Damage, Get More Credits.  Spot More Units, Get More Credits.  Kill More Units, Get More Credits.  Are you sensing a pattern here yet?  It's pretty simple, the more damage you do and the more shots you land on target, the better your earnings, both in credits and XP, both of which are immensely more important than most folks realize at first.  I suggest you learn the Mantra For Play that I placed into The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) which says:

Survive (if you do not do this you cannot)

Do Damage (if you can't or don't do this, find another way to)

Help Your Team (if you can't or won't do this, it will be harder to)

Win?  (which is NEVER guaranteed)

7) NO.  Passive Play is THE Recipe For Loss After Loss.  Don't do it.  Just don't.  The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) will help you in this regard by showing you how the game works, what the things are that you need to learn and how to apply them such that you can learn how to be more aggressive without being a Suiscout a YOLO Brawler or a Dead Scout who thought he could shoot and get away with it.

Early damage is best damage, but remember:

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team  

IN THAT ORDER!  

When you find that you have sat in one spot for more than a minute and haven't fired your popgun, you need to reposition.  You are Surviving, but you're NOT DOING DAMAGE, so you have to fix that.

Consider the Mantra For Play to be your Focusing Method for staying on top of what you should be doing at any given point in time.  It is also a Priority List for you.  If you are surviving and NOT doing damage, then you need to get that fixed.  If you are taking fire and can't see your opponent, then SURVIVE is your first priority, which means GET COVER.  Not Concealment, COVER.

You just killed a Red Team and there's no targets in sight.  You look at the mini-map and see that all the rest of the action is going on somewhere else.  Survive? Check.  Do Damage? Check, but none left here, so: HELP YOUR TEAM is up next.  Who can you support?  Is there a chance for flanking an opponent your team is pinning?

The Mantra For Play is a fast, easy to remember guide and prioritization list that you can repeat to your self as you play without slowing you down one little bit.

Lastly, I'd like to Welcome you to the MADNESS that is World Of Tanks (PC)!

Good Luck, Have FUN & Hope to See You on the Battle Field!  (GL, HF & HSYBF)!

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users