Good tier 5-6 medium with gun depression.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

MissCreant #1 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 13:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2823 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

I am purely FtP but bunnyhugger, Scorp and a recruit that finished the recruitment 'thing' have gotten me two-tier 8s and a tier 6 premium.  Because of this (especially the recuits tank reward), I have seen what actual gun depression can do and am intrigued.  I suck at using it but I can see that it could be a good playstyle.

Since I am FtP I concentrated on one nationality that the bf who trained me in WoT and others such as Claus advised - concentrate on Russian Mediums.  Gun depression is not their thing.  They are too happy to be depressed.

However, I think I would like to try a medium line that is a good tank and has gun depression.  I am looking for tier 5-6 because it takes me so long to get xp and, especially, crews.  I don't want to waste too much effort on something I might not concentrate on. Someone had a mentioned USA tier 6 medium so I have gotten up through the tier 5 but wasn't very amused doing so.  Is a tier 6 USA a good choice?  Someone also mentioned British.  What are y'alls thoughts?

I should also look at a line that has a good tier 5-6 but also keeps up in higher tiers so I can advance.

Edited by MissCreant, Nov 10 2019 - 13:45.

tod914 #2 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 14:40

Major

• Players
  • 64961 battles
The British line has good gun depression.  Keep in mind with the Cromwell though, the aim bloom is rather large.  It's a fun tank.  Used a lot in SH.  Benefits greatly with a decent crew.  BIA, etc..  Skorp would be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited by tod914, Nov 10 2019 - 14:41.

Insanefriend #3 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 15:01

Captain

• Players
  • 47013 battles
Cromwell doesn't have much gun depression past the Russian medium.  Though the Comet has tons once you get there, same with the Cent 1.  Try the Czech line, they have more gun depression then Russian tanks at tier 5/6 and are great tanks.  Or the Italian line at tier 4/5/6 are pretty good as well.

gpc_4 #4 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 15:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 43841 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Tier 6 Czech has gun depression and an autoloader. Very fun tank.

Boghie #5 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 15:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8733 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

The Croms with the 75m gun only have 8 degrees of gun depression.  They are, however, so mobile you can use terrain to get that last two degrees for comfort.

I see you like LTs - but you DON'T have a Chaffee.  FOR SHAME.  It is very agile, quite quick, the gun can stand-off an enemy - and it has 10 degrees of gun depression.  Looks like you stopped playing LTs at Tier VI.  Get back in!!!

The Italian Mediums at Tier V+ are exceptional.  They are kinda all the same and kinda all different.  A very fun line to play - but absolutely horrid until you get all the modules researched and purchased.  Once elited they are all keepers.

For reference I was using Tanks.gg:  https://tanks.gg/list/stats/depression?ti=5.6&ty=medium.light&sh=standard

I had watched a LemmingRush review of the Centurian 7/1 and realized it was the best and most complete discussion of hull down preparation and tactics I have ever seen - and, I am a junky for this sort of stuff.  My Google search found my post (with a link to LemmingRush's awesome discussion) first.  Being that I am lazy and have to workout in a few here is a link to my modest grandness:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/579594-lemmingrush-cent-71-review-or-a-discussion-on-hull-down-tactics/

Now, I have to get some Chi-Tos and some Swedish tanks in my line.  Love hull down tactics.

Gotta go...

Gtraxeman #6 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 15:43

Captain

• Players
  • 35054 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

If you have made it to. US tier 5, go for the tier 6 M4E4. Keeping in mind, the tier 7 T20 is an excellent medium.
The British Cromwell is also a good choice.
The Japanese Chi To also has some depression and a punchy gun.

Edit. Almost forgot the exceelent gun depression of the tier 6 Swedish tank.

rawdawg13 #7 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 16:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 9658 battles
  • [-TFF-] -TFF-
P.43bis  is a awesome tier 6 medium...  -7/20 dep.

MagillaGuerilla #8 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 16:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 25908 battles
If you plan to grind through the lines, the Brits, US and Swede lines all have mediums with good gun depression in the upper tiers. The upper tier Brits and US also have good frontal turret armor that helps peeking over ridges.

ObrumPL #9 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 16:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19396 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

View PostMissCreant, on Nov 10 2019 - 05:37, said:

I am purely FtP but bunnyhugger, Scorp and a recruit that finished the recruitment 'thing' have gotten me two-tier 8s and a tier 6 premium.  Because of this (especially the recuits tank reward), I have seen what actual gun depression can do and am intrigued.  I suck at using it but I can see that it could be a good playstyle.

Since I am FtP I concentrated on one nationality that the bf who trained me in WoT and others such as Claus advised - concentrate on Russian Mediums.  Gun depression is not their thing.  They are too happy to be depressed.

However, I think I would like to try a medium line that is a good tank and has gun depression.  I am looking for tier 5-6 because it takes me so long to get xp and, especially, crews.  I don't want to waste too much effort on something I might not concentrate on. Someone had a mentioned USA tier 6 medium so I have gotten up through the tier 5 but wasn't very amused doing so.  Is a tier 6 USA a good choice?  Someone also mentioned British.  What are y'alls thoughts?

I should also look at a line that has a good tier 5-6 but also keeps up in higher tiers so I can advance.

I'm currently grinding  both tier 6 USA Sherman mediums and so far the Jumbo plays more like a heavy that is quite good hull down with it's gun depression of -10 degrees but on the flip side I find it rather broken as it is slightly over powered when top tier but near useless when playing against tier 8's as by then your 150 mm of stock turret armor means very little. I play it with the 105mm gun.

Scorpiany #10 Posted Nov 11 2019 - 06:05

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 37234 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

The American and British mediums are both great choices in that regard. I would say the American mediums are more competitive at Tier 9 and 10, but the British mediums are more competitive at Tiers 7 and 8.

The Progetto line is also a load of fun with decent gun depression, and considering you seem to enjoy playing faster tanks, it's definitely a line worth looking at.

3nr0n #11 Posted Nov 11 2019 - 08:58

Captain

• Players
  • 23316 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

Well if you select a tank that your premium tanks can help train the crew with then you can also double dip your crews in training. 

Play grind tank remove crew put in premium tank hit button. 

Also since you are ftp you could use the added income from the premiums.

Food for thought:popcorn:

MissCreant #12 Posted Nov 11 2019 - 14:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2823 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Post3nr0n, on Nov 11 2019 - 08:58, said:

Well if you select a tank that your premium tanks can help train the crew with then you can also double dip your crews in training. 

Play grind tank remove crew put in premium tank hit button. 

Also since you are ftp you could use the added income from the premiums.

Food for thought:popcorn:

Thanks y'all.

I was going to look at the American line but Enron has a point.  My tier 8 non russian medium is Brit and that is a strong indicator I should do Brit.  For some reason, Brit?  USA is more atrractive to me.  Maybe I will try both at tier 6-ish and decide.  I just don't want to get scattered in my efforts and just have crappy crews everywhere.  It takes SOOOO Long to get crews up.

dunniteowl #13 Posted Nov 11 2019 - 17:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Yeah, the general advice on any situation is, "Don't take on too much at once!"

Of course, I then turn right around an INUNDATE myself with variety.  I played ('cause I can't now) US, UK, DE and RU lines, all classes from Tiers 1 to 5 and I have (had now I guess) a 100 Battles Per Tank Played objective to take each one to at least 50% by those 100 matches.

It's mostly worked out and I think I'm an overall better player for having done it.

That said, I would NOT advise anyone else to do that.  It takes a special sort of masochism to take on such things and while I know me well enough to ignore my own advice in that regard, my observations over time tell me it's not good advice to give, so I don't encourage folks to spread themselves too thin.  If they want to, I would say, "By all means, if it please you, do so."  I would not advise it, though.

Hang in there and keep at it, MissCreant!  I am always hoping that those who seek to improve their game achieve that objective.  I believe that the more you know about the game, the more you can learn to enjoy the game for what it is.  

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Roggg2 #14 Posted Nov 14 2019 - 18:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 22197 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

I'd say the Shermans.  Easy-8 at tier 6 has great gun depression.  

Cromwell is very nice, but due to poor gun handling, it's better used for wolf-pack tactics.  

redjkent #15 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 04:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 98275 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
i would go the sherman jumbo great gun depresion, great frontal armor for a medium at that tier is more forgiving to newer players

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users