lag latency high ping jitter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

BeLiAL124 #1 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 17:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26949 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

I am wondering if anyone knows of a software that can take irregular latency and introduce a delay.

I'm not sure if it exists or is possible, but say your latency is ping ponging between 50ms and 130ms the software would artificially implement a delay stabilizing your latency at 150ms?

spud_tuber #2 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 17:33

Major

• Players
  • 59899 battles
Not afaik.  Might be time for you to file your patent application and get to coding, as I can see where that would be useful to gamers.  Much easier to adjust to a known,  steady-ish ping than one with that much jitter for me, and probably for many others as well.

The_Illusive_Man #3 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 13334 battles

Well, thats not how the internet works....

In the "biz" we call this "Intermittent connection". Can be either at the host, or destination, or even inbetween. Best bet is to not use wifi, reboot your modem weekly, and use a quality ethernet cable (yes, there are bad quality ones). Also, call your isp, and see if there is anything wrong on their end. Just dont mention its for a game. Just that you are having intermittent connection issues (Buffering, random disconnections).

BeLiAL124 #4 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26949 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

I have no choice but to use tethering from Tmobile plan.  I have been troubleshooting for weeks why all of a sudden my normally stable 60 latency was shooting up to 120 and causing choppyness.

It has been unplayable, I just installed a program called haste which claims to route through better pathways to and from WG.  Guess what telia.net WAS to blaim, haste actually works I am playing now with 60-80ms stable no chop.

I was 99% sure Haste was BS but It is working..WG and Telia need to sort it out, the ticket I started was blown off as (your crappy mobile plan is to blaim) NOPE!

I'm so annoyed with this game, I can finally play now but Haste costs 10$ a month..not worth it for a poorly optimized game...

It is an issue that had been getting worse the past month or so, if they don't get it sorted out before Christmas they are going to crash hard, something is overloaded I am 99.9999% sure of it.

If I log on at 3 AM I can play with minimal chop.

(If I see someone write if it's only you its not WG fault save it, they need to drop TELIA)

Pipinghot #5 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:37

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBeLiAL124, on Nov 10 2019 - 11:26, said:

I am wondering if anyone knows of a software that can take irregular latency and introduce a delay.

I'm not sure if it exists or is possible, but say your latency is ping ponging between 50ms and 130ms the software would artificially implement a delay stabilizing your latency at 150ms?

[Edit: I just now saw the post you made while I was typing, it looks like the information in this post doesn't apply to you.]

Ping is latency on the network, and nothing that you do on your computer will help that. That would be like waiting an extra day before you mail a letter in the hopes that the post office will work extra hard to deliver it faster. You can only control what happens on your computer, once your computer sends the information out to the internet, that's where the problems occur and you can't control them.

Having said that... here's some information that you may find useful.

"The internet" begins as soon as the information leaves your house, and that means that your ISP (internet service provider) might be at least partially to blame. Even if you use a tool like ping plotter, it's still a good idea to call your service provider and use this sentence, "I'm experiencing intermittent packet loss". Now, even though you just said it's intermittent most likely the first question they're going to ask is "When does this happen?" Then you tell them, it's unpredictable, it can happen at any time of day or night. (That's what intermittent means, but for some reason people tend to overlook that.)

Then they're going to look at the network and tell you that they don't see anything wrong. If you're very lucky, and if you have an ISP that keeps good logs (most of them don't) they might find something in the logs that shows a recent history of intermittent packet loss. When they almost inevitably don't find a problem tell them that you want to schedule a service visit.

When the technician comes to the house tell them the same thing, "intermittent packet loss". Chance are that the service tech won't immediately find anything either, but when you reinforce the idea that your ping spikes up and down regularly they'll probably start to look at individual components (and by components I mean that literally, they might replace a single cap on the end of a wire, sometimes it's that specific) or they might put in a ticket to have the next level of support investigate things upstream from your house (typically the service tech can't do anything beyond the edge of your property, although sometimes they are authorized to look at where you connect to the pole out on the street).

You might have to repeat this process more than once. I live in a semi-rural area, where we are not the highest priority for the cable company, and about every 5 years I go through this process. I'll start to notice a little bit of packet loss occasionally, then it will start to become more frequent until it finally gets bad enough that I have to call the cable company. When this happens (again, it's about every 5 years) I have to have them come out 3-4 times before they finally fix the problem. That last time it happened it went like this: First guy replaces a cap on a wire, Second guy replaces a cable under our house, Third guy replaces our cable modem, Fourth guy replaces something at the junction box out on the street and he escalates to the next level of network support. Each time someone came out it got better for a few days and then the problem came back until finally after the fourth guy it got fixed. Did we need to have a cap, a wire and our cable modem replaced? Maybe, I don't know, but what I do know is that it always takes multiple visits before they finally fix it.

Edited by Pipinghot, Nov 10 2019 - 18:39.

WhineMaker #6 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 39221 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

Telis is not WG. So your issues are with servers between you and WG, which is an issue on your end... :facepalm:

But please, continue to blame WG for something that is beyond their scope... ;)

Pipinghot #7 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 18:56

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBeLiAL124, on Nov 10 2019 - 12:26, said:

I have no choice but to use tethering from Tmobile plan.  I have been troubleshooting for weeks why all of a sudden my normally stable 60 latency was shooting up to 120 and causing choppyness.

It has been unplayable, I just installed a program called haste which claims to route through better pathways to and from WG.  Guess what telia.net WAS to blaim, haste actually works I am playing now with 60-80ms stable no chop.

That doesn't make sense from a troubleshooting point of view. I believe you that Haste is working, but that doesn't mean that Telia is to blame, because no matter what path you take through the internet you still have to go through Telia to get to WoT's servers. Telia is their service provider, which means it's simply not possible to bypass Telia when communicating with WoT.

So what really happened was that somewhere in the path between you and Telia there was a problem that Haste is bypassing by taking a different route.

I was 99% sure Haste was BS but It is working..WG and Telia need to sort it out, the ticket I started was blown off as (your crappy mobile plan is to blaim) NOPE!

To be fair, using WiFi for games is almost always a bad idea, and especially using phone tethering, that's basically the worst scenario for latency in the gaming world these days. If you were in WG's shoes you would have said the same thing.

I'm so annoyed with this game, I can finally play now but Haste costs 10$ a month..not worth it for a poorly optimized game...
As you can see from the first point in this reply, it's still (sort of) T-Mobile's fault. If your subscription to Haste is getting you routed through better pathways, that basically demonstrates that T-Mobile is not doing a good job of finding optimized paths for your internet traffic to follow. Haste doesn't own their own fast pathways through the internet, what they do is good monitoring of internet traffic to find out which pathways are working better at any given moment and then directing your traffic through those routes. It's a lot like Google maps warning you that there's a backup on I-75 and telling you to use a state highway to avoid the traffic problems for the next 20 miles. But T-Mobile does what most internet providers do, they only take responsibility for your traffic on the part of the internet they own, the moment they send your traffic down the exit ramp to the public internet they wash their hands of all responsibility. If T-Mobile (and other ISP's) did a better job of monitoring how well the public internet is working then 3rd party services like Haste wouldn't need to exist.

It is an issue that had been getting worse the past month or so, if they don't get it sorted out before Christmas they are going to crash hard, something is overloaded I am 99.9999% sure of it.

If I log on at 3 AM I can play with minimal chop.

(If I see someone write if it's only you its not WG fault save it, they need to drop TELIA)

This is not a case of "one or the other", it doesn't have to be you or Telia, that's a false choice. The reality is that it's somewhere on the internet between T-Mobile and Telia, and T-Mobile isn't doing any more work than any other ISP monitor the internet, that's why third party services like Haste exist.

BeLiAL124 #8 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 19:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26949 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

View PostPipinghot, on Nov 10 2019 - 18:56, said:

That doesn't make sense from a troubleshooting point of view. I believe you that Haste is working, but that doesn't mean that Telia is to blame, because no matter what path you take through the internet you still have to go through Telia to get to WoT's servers. Telia is their service provider, which means it's simply not possible to bypass Telia when communicating with WoT.

So what really happened was that somewhere in the path between you and Telia there was a problem that Haste is bypassing by taking a different route.

To be fair, using WiFi for games is almost always a bad idea, and especially using phone tethering, that's basically the worst scenario for latency in the gaming world these days. If you were in WG's shoes you would have said the same thing.

As you can see from the first point in this reply, it's still (sort of) T-Mobile's fault. If your subscription to Haste is getting you routed through better pathways, that basically demonstrates that T-Mobile is not doing a good job of finding optimized paths for your internet traffic to follow. Haste doesn't own their own fast pathways through the internet, what they do is good monitoring of internet traffic to find out which pathways are working better at any given moment and then directing your traffic through those routes. It's a lot like Google maps warning you that there's a backup on I-75 and telling you to use a state highway to avoid the traffic problems for the next 20 miles. But T-Mobile does what most internet providers do, they only take responsibility for your traffic on the part of the internet they own, the moment they send your traffic down the exit ramp to the public internet they wash their hands of all responsibility. If T-Mobile (and other ISP's) did a better job of monitoring how well the public internet is working then 3rd party services like Haste wouldn't need to exist.

This is not a case of "one or the other", it doesn't have to be you or Telia, that's a false choice. The reality is that it's somewhere on the internet between T-Mobile and Telia, and T-Mobile isn't doing any more work than any other ISP monitor the internet, that's why third party services like Haste exist.

All good points, but I have been using this setup for 24 months and just now couldn't play..I can stream 3 1080p videos at once and have 35-45 MS ping stable in speedtests with this tether.

I really think WG needs to look into it, I am positive it will get worse and more complaints will arise.

My brother lives on the west coast and has 5ms hard wired and has the same issues..

BeLiAL124 #9 Posted Nov 10 2019 - 19:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26949 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

Haste was free for 15 days..there are similar ones like killping that don't even let you try them.

But hopefully WG sorts this out in time for Christmas if I have to spend 10$ a month on 3rd party software to play no way am I spending 300$ on lootboxes again..

Pipinghot #10 Posted Nov 11 2019 - 22:09

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostBeLiAL124, on Nov 10 2019 - 13:05, said:

All good points, but I have been using this setup for 24 months and just now couldn't play..I can stream 3 1080p videos at once and have 35-45 MS ping stable in speedtests with this tether.

I really think WG needs to look into it, I am positive it will get worse and more complaints will arise.

My brother lives on the west coast and has 5ms hard wired and has the same issues..

You and your brother may have the same issues but the whole player base (or even a large percentage like 5-10% does not. and that means that this most likely is not caused by Telia. Mind you I'm not a fan of Telia, but there still has to be some better troubleshooting than "I know of two people who have this problem".

Are you streaming those videos from WG's servers? If not then you're going somewhere else on the internet which means you're taking a route that is not obstructed.

Are you doing a speedtest on WG's servers? If not then you're going somewhere else on the internet which means you're taking a route that is not obstructed.

I've been in your shoes, and solving this problem is a lot more tricky than it looks. I've had ping problems (which are caused by packet loss) to a single, specific target location (in my case it was a different game) and blamed the game I was playing. But then with the help of a friend who's a legit network engineer he used a couple of his network analysis tools to show me that the problem was a hub somewhere in Texas that was oversaturated and causing the packet loss. I guarantee that a lot of other people playing that game were experiencing the same problem I was.

I notified my ISP but of course they responded that this was outside of their network and they had no control over it, but 3 days later the problem magically went away. Either they notified the owner of the hub that there was a problem or they made adjustments to their internal routing that did a better job of avoiding a hub that is malfunctioning. But regardless of which solution they chose, it still remains true that the game I was playing was not at fault, nor was the ISP that was servicing that game.

Mind you, it's possible, it could be that Telia had introduced a problem with their routing and is causing this packet loss, but if that was the case then there should be a lot of people submitting tickets to WG about ping problems. And if that's true then submitting tickets is the only answer, WG definitely does not use the forums to diagnose network traffic problems from Telia. If this really is a Telia problem the only chance of you getting WG to look at this is submitting a ticket and hope that other people submit tickets too.

SporkBoy #11 Posted Nov 12 2019 - 02:32

Major

• Players
  • 49787 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
My real time programming experience and a bit of common sense proves such a delay will not work.

Also tagged with lag, latency, high ping, jitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users