How many roads must a man tank down
Before RNG bites his hand?
How many rounds must go into the sky
Before they smack in the sand?
How many times must the Prammo rounds fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is tankin' in the wind
The answer is tankin' in the wind.

The actual question here is "how many times do you drive a tank before deciding it's never going to work for you and moving on to other, more pleasant vehicles.  Presume, for sake of argument, it's either a Tier X with no further tech tree research or a premium that doesn't have a tech tree.

Was soooooo looking forward to finally driving the Object 268 v4 ... and it was crushed.  Totalled.  Rekt beyond rekt.  Took the Obj. 263 out right behind it (having gotten sent back to the garage quickly) and it performed as expected - so it wasn't the "fixed front Russian TDs hate you" issue.

Anyway - once is probably too small a sample.  But ... twice?  ten times?  fifty?

Somebody - spud_tuber, I think - suggested 100 times for a good size sample but I'm not sure I've got that many more in me.  And due to encroaching old age I don't completely recall, for sure, what the 100 sample size was in regard to.  :confused:

So.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Snark?  Point out my sucky stats and snidely comment that I'm going to suck with ANY tank and I should just get used to it? 

Whatcha got?  How many BATTLE buttons...

stubmw #2 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 17:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 28551 battles
Hippies aren't gonna like this.

BlackFive #3 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 17:59

Major

• Players
  • 37178 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

The v4 has a lot of hype surrounding it. Driving it the first time results in confusion as it doesn't perform the way you think it will.

Until, after a few games, all of a sudden it does - and you, the player, don't even realize that you are subtly playing it quite differently from the way you did when you first took it out. 

Little tiny things are the difference between a 1k game and a 4-6 k game 

Kramah313 #4 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 18:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5210 battles

Well I won’t be stat shaming as my own stats are pretty similar. But, I will say that the 100 battle sample size seems pretty reasonable for knowing what a tank will be like in general. I get not being able to think about that at the moment, but maybe give it 10-20 battles and reevaluate then? With only one battle - was it all tier 10, 10/9, or 10/9/8? I’m guessing it will play differently in all 3. It looks like you only got off one shot of what looks like HE...it definitely won’t be like that every time. It takes a lot of effort to get to tier 10, at least give it 20 battles before writing all that effort off. It takes at least that many battles for me to even get the hang of a tank’s playstyle and the differences between it and the one before it before I can do as well as I did in the previous one. 

Im also going down this line, so I’m interested in how it turns out. Good luck!

PuddleSplasher #5 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 39665 battles

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Nov 17 2019 - 16:10, said:

The actual question here is,  "How many times do you drive a tank before deciding it's never going to work for you and moving on to other, more pleasant vehicles. 

Presume, for sake of argument, it's either a Tier X with no further tech tree research or a premium that doesn't have a tech tree.

That is your choice and should not be influenced by others. It remains your choice.:bajan:

gingerted91 #6 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 19:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1539 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Nov 17 2019 - 17:10, said:

The actual question here is "how many times do you drive a tank before deciding it's never going to work for you and moving on to other, more pleasant vehicles.

The number of battles is irrelevant as its not really a statistical question.  (If you are "bad" in a tank it is often hard to figure out what you are doing wrong without some outside perspective)

The question should be "How much effort am I willing to put into removing my mistakes and learning how to play a new tank?"

Effort could be; reading reviews, watching replays, watching a better player play, having my own replays reviewed, and/or some battles trying to put into practice what I learned.

I suspect the root of the problem is you are playing to "its reputation" not its reality.  (and likely have many general game play mistakes as well as tank specific issues contributing to the experience)

Edited by gingerted91, Nov 17 2019 - 19:19.

Tao_Te_Tomato #7 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 20:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 28078 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostPuddleSplasher, on Nov 17 2019 - 18:46, said:

That is your choice and should not be influenced by others. It remains your choice.:bajan:

Reasonably true.  But a smart man learns from his mistakes.  A wise one learns from the mistakes of others.  :B

Thus I solicit information regarding the mistakes of others.....

View Postgingerted91, on Nov 17 2019 - 19:10, said:

The number of battles is irrelevant as its not really a statistical question.  (If you are "bad" in a tank it is often hard to figure out what you are doing wrong without some outside perspective)

The question should be "How much effort am I willing to put into removing my mistakes and learning how to play a new tank?"

Effort could be; reading reviews, watching replays, watching a better player play, having my own replays reviewed, and/or some battles trying to put into practice what I learned.

I suspect the root of the problem is you are playing to "its reputation" not its reality.  (and likely have many general game play mistakes as well as tank specific issues contributing to the experience)

Entirely possible, though I was playing it much like I play the Obj. 263 - essentially as an assault TD, not a sniper TD.  That may, however, be wrong. 

Or, as BlackFive suggests, sometimes it just takes time for it to click.  I've no doubt that one (1) battle is nowhere near enough to make a judgment call.   :coin:

gingerted91 #8 Posted Nov 17 2019 - 20:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1539 battles
  • [MORDR] MORDR

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on Nov 17 2019 - 20:18, said:

Entirely possible, though I was playing it much like I play the Obj. 263 - essentially as an assault TD, not a sniper TD.  That may, however, be wrong. 

Unfortunately, I suspect you are not playing either "right".

Please feel free to consider the effort comment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users