COPPA FTC Youtube Twitch CC

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #61 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 27014 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 22 2019 - 12:50, said:

I mean... I never said it was close to it in the first place... so good job trying to put words in my mouth. Doesnt change the fact that is still a "real job".

Well I wasn't "putting words in your mouth " you said it. I was just stating it's nothing like manual labor.

Wanderjar #62 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 28477 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
Well you can mark every video as "for kids" but you basically won't get any ad revenue from it (about a 90% cut) just because it only runs generalized ads, isn't searchable and no comments can be made (thus keeping your searchable index very low anyway)

Keep in mind this isn't in YTs opinion, this is in the opinion of some FTC drone or worse, some poorly coded bot handing out 40k fines over some REALLY vague terminology (popular music? animation? flashing words and fast talking?) Just off the top of my head all the ":Unicum guides to" clones count as this so do most of Klaus videos and Guidos opener vid. 

The whole pushback is that we don't need a nanny govt like Australia has and that the terms are defined really badly. 

I could honestly give a crapless if this means some YT channels get canned or not or their revenue gets cut in half. For me this is mostly a giant pushback against govt intervention where it really doesn't need to be and in such vague terms that anyone that posts a video can be guilty of it regardless of intent or not.

GeneralHeinz #63 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 09:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 121842 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS
Oh no, this COPPA thing is going to kill Jojo Siwa's channel.  What am I going to do?

Da_Craw #64 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 15:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 28122 battles

I'm curious how many of the people complaining about COPPA or the "Nanny state" currently have kids under 13, and just exactly what they expect parents to be doing?  I've already had to spend a few hours on the phone with Sony to reverse hundreds of dollars in charges on my kids games.  I personally pay for anything they buy online.  I turn the payment method on, buy it and turn the payment method off.  Then I discovered it took hours for Sony to recognize the change.  (a problem since corrected, apparently).  My son (9 at the time) thought he was spending in-game money, since I had turned off my Paypal and when I had him show me what he was buying, I had to admit that I wouldn't have realized it was actual money being spent.  Kids are targets and advertisers are ruthlessly effective.*  I try to make mine hard targets by constantly trying to educate them, but I'll take all the help I can get.   

Don't think you're a victim?  Got any vitamins? Dietary supplements are a $50 billion industry in the U.S.  Of those tens of thousands of products on the shelves in the supplement isles at Walgreens, CVS, GNC etc., there is scientific evidence of beneficial effect for precisely two of them.   You'd be better off rubbing the cash on your skin.

durandal78 #65 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 16:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34801 battles

If you think this is about protecting kids from advertisements you're wrong, it is only about YouTube/Google keeping cookies and persistent tracking information on visitors under 13. The FTC dont care what ads are served to kids, only that the browsing preferences of the children are not kept by a commercial entity without consent from their parents.

YouTube could have potentially easily fixed this with an age gate, some disclaimers and directing owners of channels that could be affected by COPPA to check the (already existing, but buried 3 pages deep in the preferences) setting to not serve personalized adds.

But instead YouTube has inverted the roles and in the settlement made it so that the users of YouTube are the ones gattering and keeping the data (and controls to whom this data is shared with) on the viewers instead of YouTube/Google.

spud_tuber #66 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 59827 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Nov 23 2019 - 08:37, said:

*snip*

Don't think you're a victim?  Got any vitamins? Dietary supplements are a $50 billion industry in the U.S.  Of those tens of thousands of products on the shelves in the supplement isles at Walgreens, CVS, GNC etc., there is scientific evidence of beneficial effect for precisely two of them.   You'd be better off rubbing the cash on your skin.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to name those 2?

My grandfather takes A-REDS 2, at the recommendation of more than one eye doc, so I have to assume it would be 1 of the 2.

AmericanRook #67 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 17:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1171 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Nov 23 2019 - 15:37, said:

I'm curious how many of the people complaining about COPPA or the "Nanny state" currently have kids under 13, and just exactly what they expect parents to be doing?  I've already had to spend a few hours on the phone with Sony to reverse hundreds of dollars in charges on my kids games.  I personally pay for anything they buy online.  I turn the payment method on, buy it and turn the payment method off.  Then I discovered it took hours for Sony to recognize the change.  (a problem since corrected, apparently).  My son (9 at the time) thought he was spending in-game money, since I had turned off my Paypal and when I had him show me what he was buying, I had to admit that I wouldn't have realized it was actual money being spent.  Kids are targets and advertisers are ruthlessly effective.*  I try to make mine hard targets by constantly trying to educate them, but I'll take all the help I can get.   

Leave the payment method off and enter your information manually. Problem solved. That was so tough to do.

I'd rather have the doddering Boomers than the pearl-clutching Millennials. Everything needs to be handled by the government and personal responsibility is a mythological creature, guaranteed safe-spaces, and the constant, shrieking victim-complex every time Millennials don't like something.

Did you see something you like in a commercial and buy it? Well, according to Millennials, personal preference has nothing to do with it. You were duped, preyed upon, manipulated, addicted to, and fooled by evil corporate mysticism and how dare a business tailor their products to innocent customers that buy them.   

Da_Craw #68 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 22:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 28122 battles

View PostAmericanRook, on Nov 23 2019 - 10:20, said:

Leave the payment method off and enter your information manually. Problem solved. That was so tough to do.

That's what I was doing.  It was staying resident on their system for hours afterward.  How old are your kids?

Da_Craw #69 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 23:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 28122 battles

View Postspud_tuber, on Nov 23 2019 - 09:41, said:

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to name those 2?

My grandfather takes A-REDS 2, at the recommendation of more than one eye doc, so I have to assume it would be 1 of the 2.

Actually, its both of them.  Vitamin E and Omega 3 fatty acids.  Both are components of the treatment.  FYI, A-REDS 2 is the name of the study that proved it, not necessarily the combo of vitamins.  Omega 3 fatty acids are also proven to have some beneficial effect on heart disease.  However, and here is where guys like American Rock above are wrong, it turns out that the vast majority of fish oil supplements that tout the benefits of Omega 3s are technically rancid.  The fatty acids are all oxidized which destroys their effectiveness.  I'm always amazed at the vitriol of people about regulation, when the regulation is just aimed at truth in advertising.  The free market only works when reliable information is available. 

Rabbitlover2017 #70 Posted Nov 24 2019 - 04:35

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1936 battles
Shouldnt affect WoT much, but yeah this is total BS. Parents cant control what their kids are doing online, and everyone else pays for it.

Da_Craw #71 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 17:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 28122 battles

View PostRabbitlover2017, on Nov 23 2019 - 21:35, said:

Parents cant control what their kids are doing online, and everyone else pays for it.

EXACTLY!  Let's get rid of those BS school zones, too!  Little morons need to learn to stay out of the street.

Krupp_Sabot #72 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 19:27

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11370 battles

View PostRabbitlover2017, on Nov 23 2019 - 20:35, said:

Shouldnt affect WoT much, but yeah this is total BS. Parents cant control what their kids are doing online, and everyone else pays for it.

This sad trend has been i thing since i was a teenager in the 90s pearl clutchers who spend more time protesting and writing letters for daddy gov to raise their kids so they dont have to. I mean rev Lovejoy's wife from the Simpsons is basically lampooning those types of people.

Gunn_Fyter #73 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 19:31

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 472 battles
Overblown hyperbole. Dont flag your videos as being intended for children and you have nothing to worry about.

durandal78 #74 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 19:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34801 battles

View PostGunn_Fyter, on Nov 25 2019 - 15:31, said:

Overblown hyperbole. Dont flag your videos as being intended for children and you have nothing to worry about.

The opposite is true, if you dont flag your videos as intended for children and your channel gets chosen for review and some goverment drone deems it is  intended for children you're screwed. Specially because the wording of the act doesnt talk about INTENDED for children but ATTRACTIVE to children.

Plus there's already reports of Youtube's AI bot already auto-flagging videos as intended for children (while they're clearly not) and a Youtube employee manually verifying the flag.

spud_tuber #75 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 20:46

Major

• Players
  • 59827 battles

View Postdurandal78, on Nov 25 2019 - 12:58, said:

The opposite is true, if you dont flag your videos as intended for children and your channel gets chosen for review and some goverment drone deems it is  intended for children you're screwed. Specially because the wording of the act doesnt talk about INTENDED for children but ATTRACTIVE to children.

Plus there's already reports of Youtube's AI bot already auto-flagging videos as intended for children (while they're clearly not) and a Youtube employee manually verifying the flag.

You've pretty much hit on the e major issues with this.  Government bureaucracy, vague guidelines, and YouTube doing the YouTube thing of trying to sit on both sides of the fence and having questionable AIs and poorly trained people checking behind the AIs.

YouTube may, indeed probably will, eventually get their error rate down, but never as low as they should be.  Unfortunately, not much will be done about bureaucracies or vague guidelines.   

Filthywon #76 Posted Nov 25 2019 - 21:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20289 battles
  • [TINC] TINC

YouTube demonetized anyone with a firearms related channel last year.  I didn't hear anybody crying about that.

This is how it happens, oh I don't have a firearm so it doesn't affect me... that is until it does affect you. Then it's too late. 

Also tagged with COPPA, FTC, Youtube, Twitch, CC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users