• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

LateralusTOOL #41 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31580 battles
  • [T0OL] T0OL

View PostRG_Notch, on Nov 20 2019 - 21:31, said:

Wow, dude don't worry you can try to make money off of playing video games too one day. Tell someone who really works for a living that is a job. I get that kids and those who spend their lives playing games think this is a job. Playing games and posting about is not a real job. Just because you can't get a real job doesn't make wasting time on YT a real job. 

And boomers wonder why the are hated...

LateralusTOOL #42 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31580 battles
  • [T0OL] T0OL

View PostAlpharius_____, on Nov 21 2019 - 11:49, said:

Ok boomer

Boomers should be put on icebergs and left to drift off to sea...

Da_Craw #43 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 28364 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 20 2019 - 17:08, said:

This would be a TERRIBLE way for any content creator who isnt actually making content for kids to handle it. The restrictions that will be placed upon videos marked for kids pretty much precludes being able to grow a community on YouTube or have YouTube become a viable job.

In addition to YouTube not being able to serve targeted ads to viewers of those videos, the videos would:

- Have no comments

- Be unable to be favourited

- Have no end screens (like those that appear over the video at the end, with a link to the channel and otehr videos from that channel)

- Have no click through info-cards that appear during a video (the little 'i' in the upper right hand corner of the video)

- Channels marked as "For Kids" would be unable to have the community tab on the channel page.

Pretty much all forms of community building tools would be gone if creators just marked their videos 'for kids', in addition to less revenue because generic ads wont generate nearly as much for the creator as targeted ads would. This is aready going to hurt the creators that DO make content aimed at kids, and may catch everyone else in the crossfire.

I'm out of my technical depth here, but I discussed this law with my brothers who both work in IT.  They were both very much in favor of it.  Why would any of the things you list not be possible under COPPA?  End screens, links, comments, etc. don't require any information from the viewer to work, do they?.  If you embed a link, I can click on it whether you are getting my info or not, can't I?  I'm seriously asking.  I have a reasonably solid grasp of tech, but internet data flow is outside my wheel house.

spud_tuber #44 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:30

Major

• Players
  • 60428 battles

View PostLateralusTOOL, on Nov 21 2019 - 15:04, said:

Don't let the actions of the few define the whole.  Therein lies(one of) the path(s) to the -isms.

spud_tuber #45 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 60428 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Nov 21 2019 - 15:15, said:

I'm out of my technical depth here, but I discussed this law with my brothers who both work in IT.  They were both very much in favor of it.  Why would any of the things you list not be possible under COPPA?  End screens, links, comments, etc. don't require any information from the viewer to work, do they?.  If you embed a link, I can click on it whether you are getting my info or not, can't I?  I'm seriously asking.  I have a reasonably solid grasp of tech, but internet data flow is outside my wheel house.

The things he listed are the restrictions YouTube will put on content marked "for kids", not direct coppa restrictions.  This is why marking your content "for kids" as a safety measure against the vagueness of the guidelines is unwise for any serious content creator.

LateralusTOOL #46 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 22:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31580 battles
  • [T0OL] T0OL

View Postspud_tuber, on Nov 21 2019 - 16:30, said:

Don't let the actions of the few define the whole.  Therein lies(one of) the path(s) to the -isms.

Oh well...

Avalon304 #47 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:00

Major

• Players
  • 24424 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostDa_Craw, on Nov 21 2019 - 14:15, said:

Because Youtube is putting those limits on those things after being slapped with a 170 million dollar fine. (And COPPA has been a law since 2000... Youtube just hasnt been following it. The whole point of COPPA is to protect children on the internet. Its the entire reason every website has a check box to confirm that youre over the age of 13).

End screens, comments etc. can be used by bad actors to take advantage of children. Embedded links can gather sensitive information by linking to bad websites. Youtube cant moderate every comment or end screen on youtube. So theyre passing the burden to the creator, and disabling anything that can be used for "evil" on anything thats specifically marked as for kids.

So if you make gaming content, like for instance on WoT, and you mark your content as "for kids" you pretty much wont be able to do anything to build a community around the game and your content. But WoT isnt exactly for kids, so I doubt people will do that and I doubt it will be a problem. But if youre a Let's Player, who happens to Let's Play Nintendo games... or Minecraft, youre suddenly in some sort of grey area, because your content may not be for kids, but the games themselves can be. What does someone do in that situation? Risk a $42k fine (per offending video) if you mark as "not for kids" and its somehow determined to be for kids or mark as "for kids" and potentially lose income that otherwise supported you?

Waylandie #48 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 02:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17958 battles

View PostRG_Notch, on Nov 21 2019 - 03:31, said:

Wow, dude don't worry you can try to make money off of playing video games too one day. Tell someone who really works for a living that is a job. I get that kids and those who spend their lives playing games think this is a job. Playing games and posting about is not a real job. Just because you can't get a real job doesn't make wasting time on YT a real job. 

And people like RG_Notch wonder why OK Boomer is a thing, and why younger generations are ignoring everything that comes out of their mouth. 

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #49 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 05:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 27632 battles
  • [_OVO_] _OVO_

View PostAvalon304, on Nov 20 2019 - 17:25, said:

I mean its hilarious that you have such an outdated view of the world... so... here we are.

The implication that content creation, like that done by thousands of people on YouTube, isnt a "real job" is so unbelievably naive that its sad. Im sure you think that all any content creator does is just sit back and play video games all day... but that ignores literally everything else about the process. That ignores that being an entertainer is a "real job" and ignores that editing and releasing videos is very often a very long and time consuming process, especially if you keep to a daily upload schedule like anyone who actually does it for a living (and not just as a hobby). Youtube, Twitch and other forms of content creation are no less a "real job" than working in an office or store, or doing manual labour for a living.

Just because youre incapable of being entertaining or recording and editing video doesnt make it not a "real job".

Far from manual labor my friend 

Edited by Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy, Nov 22 2019 - 08:40.

Samelde #50 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 06:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34522 battles
  • [OLD_I] OLD_I

Awesome! More government bureaucracy to control, restrict and punish free speech!

Thank you Nanny State, for making us safer by restricting our RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH.

What a load of diarrhea. 

Under their absurdly subjective definition almost anything could fit their bill for censorship and punishment.

Its wide-open for abuse of power and personal/political targeting of individuals by unelected, unaccountable government bureaucrats.

I predict this will go to the Supremes and be struck down as unconstitutionally broad and vague.

Edited by Samelde, Nov 22 2019 - 06:08.

JeffXandra #51 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 12:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48327 battles
The problem here is YouTube. Here’s a good breakdown https://youtu.be/LuScIN4emyo

Nooobinator #52 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 14:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23974 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
Only an absolute fool would rely on and expect the government to "protect the children" but unfortunately the general population welcomes it's oppression with open arms.

Please Mr Gubmint agent, protect my child because I am too lazy to do it myself.

Edited by Nooobinator, Nov 22 2019 - 14:42.

24cups #53 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 16:24

Major

• Players
  • 24888 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostLateralusTOOL, on Nov 21 2019 - 16:04, said:

Way to kill off half (or more?) of the NA server population. 

ThePigSheFlies #54 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 80174 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostRG_Notch, on Nov 20 2019 - 12:42, said:

Nothing of value will be lost and lots of junk will be removed. All this is about "creators" making bank off of kids. I'm from a different generation and don't waste my time watching people play games so Twitch can go away and I will not notice. As to the YT "creators" hey too bad, get a real job. If this means morons like Claus can't make cash off of their stupidity I say go COPPA. 

In fact I'm going to go to the FTC to support this, thanks for the heads up. 

what you're really stating is that you only want big media to make money off of stupidity...

• Kardashians
  • MTV's jack [edited]
  • Jersey Shore

etc., etc. ad nauseum.

InappropriateHandHolding #55 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 17:58

Captain

• Players
  • 38939 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostRG_Notch, on Nov 20 2019 - 18:42, said:

Nothing of value will be lost and lots of junk will be removed. All this is about "creators" making bank off of kids. I'm from a different generation and don't waste my time watching people play games so Twitch can go away and I will not notice. As to the YT "creators" hey too bad, get a real job. If this means morons like Claus can't make cash off of their stupidity I say go COPPA. 

Most boomer thing I have seen all week

Danger_Biskit #56 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 19:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11178 battles
  • [CLA55] CLA55

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. – Ronald Reagan.   

Anytime freedom is taken away it will never be given back. For a ounce of protection we give a pound of freedom.  This needs to be taken care of at home not in Washington.  I feel the same way about banning smoking in public places like bars and restaurants.  I don't smoke but I don't care if you do.  If I don't want to be around it I will leave. 

Avalon304 #57 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 20:50

Major

• Players
  • 24424 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostBill_Nye_the_RussianSpy, on Nov 21 2019 - 21:11, said:

Far from manual labor my friend 

I mean... I never said it was close to it in the first place... so good job trying to put words in my mouth. Doesnt change the fact that is still a "real job".

Da_Craw #58 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 22:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 28364 battles

View PostSamelde, on Nov 21 2019 - 23:02, said:

Awesome! More government bureaucracy to control, restrict and punish free speech!

Thank you Nanny State, for making us safer by restricting our RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH.

What a load of diarrhea. 

Under their absurdly subjective definition almost anything could fit their bill for censorship and punishment.

Its wide-open for abuse of power and personal/political targeting of individuals by unelected, unaccountable government bureaucrats.

I predict this will go to the Supremes and be struck down as unconstitutionally broad and vague.

I think we have wandered way off of "general discussion" for WoT.  WoT streamers and other content providers should certainly pay close attention to the subject, but the rest of the above is  knee-jerk buzzword crap.  Our schools obviously did a horrible job of explaining constitutional free speech, because everyone seems to think they have the right to say anything they want at any time.  Commercial speech, which is what advertising carrying content on Youtube is, was not protected at all until 1942.  The current tests for regulation of commercial speech are much laxer than for private speech and were crafted by the Supremes in the mid 70s.  It's always fun to see the reaction when someone invokes the "as our founding forefathers intended" only to discover the right was "recognized" by "activist judges."

_Tsavo_ #59 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 22:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 47346 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostRG_Notch, on Nov 20 2019 - 12:42, said:

Soooo, basically you're not changing with the times and are 25+ years behind? 

Edited by _Tsavo_, Nov 22 2019 - 22:10.

coconut2011 #60 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:20

Captain

• Players
  • 65879 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View PostJeffXandra, on Nov 22 2019 - 03:53, said:

The problem here is YouTube. Here’s a good breakdown https://youtu.be/LuScIN4emyo

This is a very good video.  +1

It points out how YouTube's monopoly, and the lack of proper settings, and hidden settings, making CC's ability to be compliant difficult, and yet YouTube pushed the responsibility to CC. The automatic detection / flagging system is just way too scary to think about in term of remification.

Edited by coconut2011, Nov 22 2019 - 23:23.

Also tagged with COPPA, FTC, Youtube, Twitch, CC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users