• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

13Disciple #1 Posted Nov 21 2019 - 23:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25733 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

Hello Everyone!

My next article is up - yep! new content!

(my first as a new minted CC)

In this article I talk about my thoughts on Ranked Season 1, and some of the (radical?) changes I would make to improve it.

https://www.13discip...eam/ranked.html

Edited by 13Disciple, Nov 22 2019 - 00:48.

AndrewSledge #2 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 00:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 37073 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

I'm not sure how you posted this without a Title, but it makes it so you can't read the post without going to your profile and selecting it from there.

Congrats on becoming a CC! Looking forward to more articles; I much prefer them to videos.

I agree with your suggestions on Ranked; I think it's a good mode, although it's too stressful for me. 

Edited by AndrewSledge, Nov 22 2019 - 00:51.

13Disciple #3 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 00:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25733 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostAndrewSledge, on Nov 21 2019 - 18:47, said:

I'm not sure how you posted this without a Title, but it makes it so you can't read the post without going to your profile and selecting it from there.

Thanks!

It was because I was using an emoji in the title that the forum wasn't happy about. I've fixed it now!

TVV #4 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 01:47

Captain

• Players
  • 58362 battles
  • [EZ_CO] EZ_CO
A fair overview of the mode and some very sound suggestions on potential improvements. If only we could get those in Minsk to read your blog...

Reichmonk #5 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 19:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29323 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
"Reward tanks... Whether those tanks are too strong or not doesn’t really matter. Giving a player access to a vehicle that the rest of the player base doesn’t have access to is simply unfair."

That is what you said. I played most of mu non-bonus battles in Obj260. How it is unfair? You claim that rest of the players dont have access to it. Why not? They do. Why should i get punished to not play it in ranked becuase you(or whoever) can not get it? It sounds like it would be unfair to me if anything.

I dont agree with 80% of what you said in your post about ranked anyway. Good luck.

The_Pushok #6 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 20:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17249 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

To address the article;

If you do even half way decent in a battle you lose, you still will maintain your chevron and not lose it. That is pretty fair in my opinion. If you are the best on your team, you will even gain a chevron while at the same time a few players on the winning team will not gain. There are also ranks which once you get to, you cannot go back below it, a stop gap. I think it is a great system.

I cannot make up my mind about the reward tanks. on one hand, yea, play what you got, what you earned, to have the best possible advantage. On the other hand, the field should be a bit more level, in that the competitive play should use tech tree tanks, which is arguably attainable by everyone vs reward tanks which are arguably not. But at the end of the day, I still side on allowing any tank in.

cloudwalkr #7 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 22:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56709 battles

View PostReichmonk, on Nov 22 2019 - 19:29, said:

"Reward tanks... Whether those tanks are too strong or not doesn’t really matter. Giving a player access to a vehicle that the rest of the player base doesn’t have access to is simply unfair."

That is what you said. I played most of mu non-bonus battles in Obj260. How it is unfair? You claim that rest of the players dont have access to it. Why not? They do. Why should i get punished to not play it in ranked becuase you(or whoever) can not get it? It sounds like it would be unfair to me if anything.

I dont agree with 80% of what you said in your post about ranked anyway. Good luck.

To be fair it is incredibly hard, borderline impossible, for anyone "new" to have reward tanks but completely possible for them to have a tech tree tier X.  You need to have multiple different tanks in different classes to get the 260 and other reward tanks.  There are probably exceptions to the rule, but I would bet that most people who only have 1 or 2 tier X's dont have the selection needed to go for the 260 or 279e.  That is where I make my decision - Leave ranked Tech Tree only.

I'm saying this as someone with several great reward tanks.  I'm also not trying to combat you or start a major argument, just expressing my thoughts on the matter.

13Disciple #8 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25733 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostReichmonk, on Nov 22 2019 - 13:29, said:

I can take or leave the the tanks in the campaign. I agree - the Obj 260 is available to all players who complete the campaign which also includes the Obj 279(e).

I can see an argument made that anybody can obtain tech tree tanks with enough grinding. Not everybody will be able to complete the missions for the reward tanks.

I was really referring to Clan Wars reward tanks such as the Chieftain and the Obj 907. Although I would allow any tank in the bond shop to be available such as the M60.

Edited by 13Disciple, Nov 22 2019 - 23:28.

coconut2011 #9 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:41

Captain

• Players
  • 65856 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO
Very well written. +1

Moridin_707 #10 Posted Nov 22 2019 - 23:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22133 battles
THe concept of "ranked" battles is severely undermined by the fact that you are not playing against players with similar skill levels.

In other words, it should be called "random battles with rewards for stat padders."

Skill based match making is a must if this game is going to survive in ANY form, and it should be a given for "ranked battles."

Edited by Moridin_707, Nov 22 2019 - 23:48.

FrozenKemp #11 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 01:14

Major

• Players
  • 54876 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

My $0.02 as a scrub:

- the idea of giving a x2 for each tank each day is a really good one I think (for that matter WG could make it 5/day or 10/day as they do with that premium account award), as is the idea of a trailing limit on how far back you can fall

- I don't think WG would ever go with "unlimited divisions" because that would mean "no limit on rewards" which they wouldn't want to do 

Well thought out! 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Nov 23 2019 - 01:15.

13Disciple #12 Posted Nov 23 2019 - 01:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25733 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostMoridin_707, on Nov 22 2019 - 17:48, said:

THe concept of "ranked" battles is severely undermined by the fact that you are not playing against players with similar skill levels.

In other words, it should be called "random battles with rewards for stat padders."

Skill based match making is a must if this game is going to survive in ANY form, and it should be a given for "ranked battles."

While I agree with you, if you played in beta season 1, when you did get to the 'gold' league of progression - a vast majority of the people you played with were statistically purple, with a few dark blues, and a sprinkle of greens.

If we can agree that chevron rate is at least loosely correlated to skill, then I think my plan to change MM to chevron rate (as opposed to progress) would work pretty well.

If we set up MM to match you based on your chevron rate - this will be a relatively decent way of producing teams of very skilled players. However if the queue is simply too small to fill a full game for skilled players, at the minimum MM should distribute the highly chevron efficient players on both teams equally.

View PostFrozenKemp, on Nov 22 2019 - 19:14, said:

My $0.02 as a scrub:

- the idea of giving a x2 for each tank each day is a really good one I think (for that matter WG could make it 5/day or 10/day as they do with that premium account award), as is the idea of a trailing limit on how far back you can fall

- I don't think WG would ever go with "unlimited divisions" because that would mean "no limit on rewards" which they wouldn't want to do 

Well thought out! 

Yes, in retrospect I agree. Maybe at least expand them slightly with the generous rewards for the first 3 division to say 5 total. Then for each "ranking" you achieve after it maybe a small number of bonds, like a mini consolation prize to keep playing. The point is that you want to have an incentive otherwise the queue dries up after people finish all the primary divisions. 

Once I cleared the 3rd division, I had a chevron rate of 94% - which put me in bronze. I'm not sure I could improve that rate beyond 100% let alone the minimum at the time to get into gold was around 140% - I figured it just wasn't worth continuing to play. So I didn't play for the next two weeks, and ended up in SIlver. Which coincidentally didn't offer any real advantage over finishing in bronze.

Dirt_Track_Racing_J24 #13 Posted Nov 26 2019 - 21:03

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1100 battles
  • [AGNON] AGNON
there were a lot of good points, I personally didn't agree about your take on arty. just seemed to be more about you hating arty, and not wanting them in the game. so in that regards, it just felt & read like it was more about "your" personal hatred of the class and not the game mode.

Edited by MrE_Player, Nov 28 2019 - 00:52.

Also tagged with ranked, season, fall, 13disciple, review, suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users