One of the choices on the Frontlines survey baffled me.

rant

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: DId you, overall, make more credits when playing Frontlines? (31 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

How many credits do you remember making per match?

1. Negative Credits (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Net 0 credits without using consumables (1 vote [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Net 0 credits after using consumables (1 vote [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

4. Positive credits without using consumables (8 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

5. Positive credits after using consumables (20 votes [52.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

6. Positive credits after using Premium consumables (8 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

What mode did you find best for credit earnings?

1. Frontlines (25 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Random Battles (10 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Ranked (1 vote [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

4. Strongholds (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. Clanwars (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Coop???? (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Hide poll

Constalation #1 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 10:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 3741 battles
  • [C_C_T] C_C_T

Rant Warning

This felt really good to type out, as if I physically started feeling a bit lighter. I should do this more for stress relief.

"The gamemode was very profitable"

What? How? It's difficult enough cutting even in a T8 vehicle. Especially when facing endless numbers of quite frankly better vehicles (Premium vehicles in general tend to be better). But that's just random battles.

When combined with massed artillery (of both kinds), air bombs, endless gold spam from all types of vehicles (farming for ranks, because only damage is counted for that too. No, capping only applies to attackers, and doesn't give much anyway) combined with wheeled vehicle HE spam, as well as the game only rewarding damage done, you die quick, and face prohibitive repair costs.

(Holding a flank to stop the enemy advancing and getting behind your allies is worthless, because winning is worthless. All forms of team play are worthless, so if you cannot farm damage, you are [Expletive] out of luck) Spotting also never comes into play, at least from my experience, there really aren't any places for spotters on those maps. And, taking holding positions isn't efficient because you get more points by letting the enemy start capping, then shooting them on the cap. (which is just backwards, but oh well)

The only possible way to gain credits in that mode, is by being able to spam effective, premium damage farmers that can maximize your income. If you don't have that, you basically always break even or lose credits because the mode forces you to get into another vehicle regardless of your preference. This, results in you losing even more credits, because lets face it. If you die quickly enough where you'd rather wait, then you are probably dying quick and losing more credits if you select another vehicle. (My solution was to simply remove ammo/crew from vehicles so there were no vehicles to auto select)

So I don't know where Wargaming got this idea that the gamemode is "profitable" for many people seeing the survey,(It wouldn't be there if they didn't think many players would select the option) but no the game mode is not profitable for the average player.

And yes, laugh at my stats as much as you like. But turns out it's very hard to get decent stats when most of the bloody time your crews are not even 100%, most of your vehicles do not have 6th sense, your vehicles are stock and you have no modules for them, AND your upgraded IKV103 cannot penetrate even the lower glacis of a medium tank much less ACTUALLY HIT A HEAVY TANK RELIABLY. WHY AREN'T MY T5s ABLE TO HIT THE BROADSIDE OF A BARN.

JakeTheMystic #2 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 10:46

Major

• Players
  • 25235 battles

I don't know what you smoked in the last 24 hours (hopefully not pure O2, that's not healthy), but I'll take some as well please. 

I don't know if it was even possible to lose credits in frontline unless you were using premium consumables, spammed only gold, and picked a new tank every time you died. Even then, I'd think you still broke even as long as you did some sort of damage and contributed at least a little to the team. 

You only pay the repair cost for a vehicle once, so if you play the same vehicle all game that tiny repair cost means nothing to the x3 earnings that you should basically get from the entire battle. Even if it's not a premium tank that you were in, you should still make a fair amount; Especially if you are running reserves. 

On a good game, running premium account, premium tanks, with reserves, I could net around 300k+ a game, some could probably do more than that. Other games I would spam only premium, play multiple tanks, no boosters running, and I would be running premium consumables, in the end I would still profit around 50-80 still unless I did basically nothing. 

I still don't agree when people say "You can make more playing frontline than you will in pubs". Sure you can make more in a single battle, but that battle takes 5-6 times longer than it will take to do a pub and you only make 3x the credits. I'd rather take 6-7 minutes to run a tier 8 premium and I could still profit 150-200k a battle on a victory, it just seems easier. I'd also lose my mind playing frontline for anything over 2 hours at a time, it's just so boring playing the same map over and over again. That single new map they added, didn't help. It's too unbalanced to be anything more than a nuisance. 

Really I don't see any reason how you came to your conclusion. Sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all, but if you are somehow managing to lose credits so consistently in frontline that you have to make a rant post about it; Are you sure you're not just sitting there afk every battle? 

Constalation #3 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 11:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 3741 battles
  • [C_C_T] C_C_T

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Nov 27 2019 - 18:46, said:

I don't know what you smoked in the last 24 hours (hopefully not pure O2, that's not healthy), but I'll take some as well please. 

I don't know if it was even possible to lose credits in frontline unless you were using premium consumables, spammed only gold, and picked a new tank every time you died. Even then, I'd think you still broke even as long as you did some sort of damage and contributed at least a little to the team. 

I've been suffering from a stomach ulcer and issues with my gut biome so, not O2, just lots of discomfort.

The only viable vehicles I had  (before I stopped because at best I was making ~20k credits in profits) was the stock Pantera (Which I used Frontlines to farm XP because I was getting more XP reliably than I was getting credits) and CaernaveronAX which can't reliably tank with endless gold/HE spam combined with tanks that can just penetrate the gun mantlet. (And the AX's ammo is actually pretty expensive) And you got to use consumables? I'd be running negative if I had to resupply standard consumables, so I'm playing most of my matches including randoms without using any.

Block Quote

You only pay the repair cost for a vehicle once, so if you play the same vehicle all game that tiny repair cost means nothing to the x3 earnings that you should basically get from the entire battle. Even if it's not a premium tank that you were in, you should still make a fair amount; Especially if you are running reserves. 

But, if you have only a few vehicles and spend most of your time trying to get shots in,(And you can't, because you don't have TDs that can reliably penetrate/hit weak spots, or crews that can reliably get to positions without getting spotted) then getting wrecked, you also spend a lot of time on the respawn screen waiting on 3~5minute timers. If you don't have fast vehicles, you are also spending another few minutes running about, and since there is a lot of open ground as well, you spend a lot of time trying to probe out TD locations and taking damage without dealing damage. So, that's even more time not doing damage and by extension, earning credits. Combine that with fast light vehicles capping before you can get to the caps, and everyone shooting the badly armoured squishy target (me) and I don't get any credit for being on cap because everyone shoots me and kills me when they suicide rush around the corner to reset cap.

Edited by Constalation, Nov 27 2019 - 11:11.

PTwr #4 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 11:16

Major

• Players
  • 47185 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Well. I know I did fine. 

But I averaged on Major, in premium tanks with premium account, credit boosters, standard consumables and mostly standard ammo (~210mm pen is more than enough in FL if you got mobility) on tanks with cheap resupply. 

Without good garage you were at disadvantage, but losing credits would be user error if you'd ask me. 

Master_Beater #5 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 12:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 44042 battles
  • [S0YUZ] S0YUZ
Nice credit stax there

RacWisco #6 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 13:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 78597 battles
  • [MOOBS] MOOBS

View PostConstalation, on Nov 27 2019 - 09:33, said:

Rant Warning

This felt really good to type out, as if I physically started feeling a bit lighter. I should do this more for stress relief.

"The gamemode was very profitable"

What? How? It's difficult enough cutting even in a T8 vehicle. Especially when facing endless numbers of quite frankly better vehicles (Premium vehicles in general tend to be better). But that's just random battles.

When combined with massed artillery (of both kinds), air bombs, endless gold spam from all types of vehicles (farming for ranks, because only damage is counted for that too. No, capping only applies to attackers, and doesn't give much anyway) combined with wheeled vehicle HE spam, as well as the game only rewarding damage done, you die quick, and face prohibitive repair costs.

(Holding a flank to stop the enemy advancing and getting behind your allies is worthless, because winning is worthless. All forms of team play are worthless, so if you cannot farm damage, you are [Expletive] out of luck) Spotting also never comes into play, at least from my experience, there really aren't any places for spotters on those maps. And, taking holding positions isn't efficient because you get more points by letting the enemy start capping, then shooting them on the cap. (which is just backwards, but oh well)

The only possible way to gain credits in that mode, is by being able to spam effective, premium damage farmers that can maximize your income. If you don't have that, you basically always break even or lose credits because the mode forces you to get into another vehicle regardless of your preference. This, results in you losing even more credits, because lets face it. If you die quickly enough where you'd rather wait, then you are probably dying quick and losing more credits if you select another vehicle. (My solution was to simply remove ammo/crew from vehicles so there were no vehicles to auto select)

So I don't know where Wargaming got this idea that the gamemode is "profitable" for many people seeing the survey,(It wouldn't be there if they didn't think many players would select the option) but no the game mode is not profitable for the average player.

And yes, laugh at my stats as much as you like. But turns out it's very hard to get decent stats when most of the bloody time your crews are not even 100%, most of your vehicles do not have 6th sense, your vehicles are stock and you have no modules for them, AND your upgraded IKV103 cannot penetrate even the lower glacis of a medium tank much less ACTUALLY HIT A HEAVY TANK RELIABLY. WHY AREN'T MY T5s ABLE TO HIT THE BROADSIDE OF A BARN.

What are you on about? I made 5 million credits?

toesave #7 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 13:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27144 battles
  • [DIXIE] DIXIE
everyone I talked to about frontlines had the same opinion..   pretty much the only reason, well the number one reason was credits made..   even the sucky player like me roll in the credits... it was just a way for WG to give us credits without just handing them to us for signing in...

FrozenKemp #8 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 14:29

Major

• Players
  • 55974 battles

OP, there are things you can do about a bunch of those: 

- Do the scavenger hunts to get boosters.  The credit boosters help profitability in FL a lot.  Just go to the codes-r-us thread here every day and look for the new code.

- Go repair when you're at 1/2 to 1/3 health.  If you're in a situation where all you are going to do is slow the enemy but die, then get out of there.

- For that matter, prioritize Engineering so you can repair more often

- If your tank is stock... play it to unlock more stuff for next time?   (Also, doing the scavenger hunt will eventually let you put 40k XP on a tank to unlock stuff)

- If your TDs can't pen then they must not be fully upgraded. 

And as far as your stats are concerned, again, work to make things not stock any more, and that will be helped by being able to run 3 hours of +50% xp, +100% crew xp, +50% credits each day from the scavenger hunt. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Nov 27 2019 - 14:29.

APA_Woody #9 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 14:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8658 battles
  • [C-W-B] C-W-B

All I know is I was very credit poor prior to this last round of FL bc I purchased my tier X Patton right before its on-track mission ended. I think I went into FL week with maybe $500k credits. At the end of FL I had over 6 million credits. I played maybe three of the days with last Sunday as my only time playing longer than 3 hours.

Here's my approach: I never use premium ammo bc it's same tier mm - know your enemy and find ways to pen (tanks.gg models are great place to start). I always run credit/xp personal reserves, and I primarily use premium tanks when focusing on credit earning (I tossed in my Panterra on occasion for the XP as I've been working that line). I also don't run premium consumables while in FL. I think I made general once last week but most of the time I was Major.

If you're not hitting shots regularly, it could be your crew bringing you down. Do you run equipment on your tanks? To me, it sounds like you are approaching your crew training very poorly and/or moving crews from one tank to the other too quickly if trying to only use the 90% retrain-for-credits thing. Crew training is hugely important the higher tier you go, and I know I had royally jacked mine all up and had been approaching things incorrectly until I read some of the guides for beginners on here. Just a thought...

If you have less than three tier VIIIs, I would shy away from FL (especially if you only have one). That was me at the earliest season of FL this year because I think I only had one or two tier VIII tanks. I unlocked more as time went on (and snagged another in the Black Market sale as well as the wheeled demon from that marathon grind). You also shouldn't approach FL as a regular random match, because it isn't. If you're trying to maximize your profits/earn rewards, you want to go for ranks which means farming damage and capping/resetting cap points. For me, the best games came when I was on the new map defending zone B. I'd drive my tank right into the zone and block it, earning massive cap-defense points and ranking up quickly.

The learning curve is very different in the mode than in random matches, and I don't focus on what the other team is spamming my way but rather on how I can make the most of my time in the mode. It can be a grind and monotonous at times, but I looked forward to the breath of fresh air from the crap shoot random matches each month. I hope they keep this mode around.

Hang in there. o7

gospodar_muva #10 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 14:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 486 battles

I made 18 million credits on my main account playing EBR, Blackdog and Skorpion exclusively in a week of frontline, playing for about 3 hours a day. 

And yes, I used premium consumables, and yes occasionally I shot premium ammo. 

I have no idea what you're talking about...

sandman99and9 #11 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 19:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 37855 battles

In the past 3 weeks or so I have bought and equipped 3 tier 9 tanks and that dropped me down to about 16mil credits. I am now sitting on 29 million after frontlines last week :)  with prem tanks and 50% boosters I was getting 150+ credits in bad games and well over 250k-300+ in good ones. You would have to try pretty hard to be really bad to lose credits on Frontlines. 

S.M.

Squashballs #12 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 19:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40661 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE
I made about 1 million credits an hour from frontlines. its the best way to make credits in this game. i make major/general almost every single game though so you gotta also know how to play, and only play premium tanks and make sure you are running credit booster.

SargeanTravis #13 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 19:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3937 battles
  • [FUBU] FUBU
If you weren't buying into the tinfoil conspiracy that personal reserves rig your MM then you should have had no profit turning any amount of profit regardless of your performance (Assuming you actually moved forward at some point in the battle and shot at stuff/contested caps)

Moridin_707 #14 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 20:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22853 battles
I rarely lost credits in FL.

If you did consistently then you are probably just bad.

I recommend you play more and type less.

golruul #15 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 20:13

Major

• Players
  • 22884 battles

I made about 18 million credits last iteration of Frontlines.  Premium account, premium tanks, +50% credit booster.

OP if you're not making credits you need to find out what you're doing wrong.  The Caer AX is a good tank, especially when hull-down and using gun depression.  It's very difficult to reliably pen its turret when it's in that situation.  You should have been making lots of credits in this tank.  The Pantera is also a good tank.

Are you spamming premium rounds and consumables?  If so, stop doing that. 

Are you playing the rental tank?  If so, stop doing that too.  Last time I looked at the T-44 FL rental tank's earnings it was absolutely terrible, much much worse than a regular tech tree tank.

Jryder #16 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 21:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14117 battles

If I had to go through 3-4 tanks, at least half of which use food, and don't shoot gold, I STILL turn a decent profit.

My kinda-sorta goal is to make 1 million credits a day. This is pretty easy to do if you apply yourself moderately, even for an average player like me.

1) Use as few tanks as possible. Repair (rebuild) costs only apply once per tank, so after the first time, that tank repairs for free. That is something like 8-11K credits saved each time after the first death.

2) Don't shoot gold.

3) Use small repair/first aid kits. 

4) Don't immediately respawn. If your first tank will be ready in 30 seconds, wait it out. See #1.

5) Premium tanks will net you more cheese, so use them if you have them.

I've had some bad games and I still don't see how anyone can continuously lose credits in FL. I don't think I've had more than 2-3 net loss games all year, if that. FL is a credit making machine game mode. I also don't regularly make General/Major either and I STILL turn 7million credits (more or less) a week.

Learn how the mode works and play smarter-don't inject yourself into losing situations, and stay alive longer. The mode isn't about "winning" the battle, it's about ranking and making credits.

And, regarding damage, I have made General with 5k damage, and only Captain with 9k damage. Damage is always good but is NOT the central point in FL.

FrontenacDuVandoo #17 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 21:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20265 battles
  • [BBI2] BBI2

Frontline can be a very profitable, but it could also be a sink.

To make a ton of money you needed to have good games in premium tanks. Adding a premium account and credit booster makes it even better.

Good game here is defined by lots of damage.

If you played for the rank xp by capping or other helping methods like the Inspire reserve, you didn't make much money despite getting a decent rank.

In my first episodes I had an IS-3 and some bush camping TDs, all in all poor tanks for the game mode. They're too situational to be good on a consistent basis. So I had many matches where I didn't make much money, or even was losing 10-20k in some of them. Not being a great player also compounds the issue. And no, I didn't use any premium stuff. I simply wasn't able to get good damage output while not using either credit booster or premium account.

Sometimes during the year I got access to the Progetto as a rental, and I realised how much money you can make. Not only because its a premium tank, but also because it's the vehicle that is extremely well suited for the game mode.

When I unlocked tech tree mediums my money making started to go up. The P.44 Panterra, T-44, and Udes 14-5 were good ones for me.

During this last episode I played a match with 3 premium tanks [Patriot, Blackdog, Emil 1951]. The games weren't all that great, but I manged one that made me about 250k profit. That was with a premium account and credit boosters. My stats also have improved over the year, so that helps.

Btw, if you notice the posters here that are incredulous about not making tons of cash, you'll notice that they have great stats. They're part of the top 5% of the player base so obviously they're going to have great results, and great profits.

Edited by FrontenacDuVandoo, Nov 27 2019 - 21:34.

Constalation #18 Posted Nov 27 2019 - 23:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 3741 battles
  • [C_C_T] C_C_T

View PostPTwr, on Nov 27 2019 - 19:16, said:

Well. I know I did fine. 

But I averaged on Major, in premium tanks with premium account, credit boosters, standard consumables and mostly standard ammo (~210mm pen is more than enough in FL if you got mobility) on tanks with cheap resupply.

Without good garage you were at disadvantage, but losing credits would be user error if you'd ask me. 

2 Premium vehicles. So irrelevant.

View Postgospodar_muva, on Nov 27 2019 - 22:58, said:

I made 18 million credits on my main account playing EBR, Blackdog and Skorpion exclusively in a week of frontline, playing for about 3 hours a day. 

And yes, I used premium consumables, and yes occasionally I shot premium ammo. 

I have no idea what you're talking about...

3 Premium vehicles. So, irrelevant again.

View PostSquashballs, on Nov 28 2019 - 03:34, said:

I made about 1 million credits an hour from frontlines. its the best way to make credits in this game. i make major/general almost every single game though so you gotta also know how to play, and only play premium tanks and make sure you are running credit booster.

So for individuals who don't have a fully premium lineup, it's a waste of time. Just like I stated in my post.

View PostFrontenacDuVandoo, on Nov 28 2019 - 05:20, said:

Frontline can be a very profitable, but it could also be a sink.

To make a ton of money you needed to have good games in premium tanks. Adding a premium account and credit booster makes it even better.

Good game here is defined by lots of damage.

If you played for the rank xp by capping or other helping methods like the Inspire reserve, you didn't make much money despite getting a decent rank.

In my first episodes I had an IS-3 and some bush camping TDs, all in all poor tanks for the game mode. They're too situational to be good on a consistent basis. So I had many matches where I didn't make much money, or even was losing 10-20k in some of them. Not being a great player also compounds the issue. And no, I didn't use any premium stuff. I simply wasn't able to get good damage output while not using either credit booster or premium account.

Sometimes during the year I got access to the Progetto as a rental, and I realised how much money you can make. Not only because its a premium tank, but also because it's the vehicle that is extremely well suited for the game mode.

When I unlocked tech tree mediums my money making started to go up. The P.44 Panterra, T-44, and Udes 14-5 were good ones for me.

During this last episode I played a match with 3 premium tanks [Patriot, Blackdog, Emil 1951]. The games weren't all that great, but I manged one that made me about 250k profit. That was with a premium account and credit boosters. My stats also have improved over the year, so that helps.

Btw, if you notice the posters here that are incredulous about not making tons of cash, you'll notice that they have great stats. They're part of the top 5% of the player base so obviously they're going to have great results, and great profits.

And the few that show their lineup show they are using mostly premium vehicles. If they read my bloody post, they'd see that I wrote specifically "premium damage farmers" but kept "premium" unbolded because in theory, damage farmers in general should work.

Constalation #19 Posted Nov 28 2019 - 00:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 3741 battles
  • [C_C_T] C_C_T

View PostAPA_Woody, on Nov 27 2019 - 22:41, said:

All I know is I was very credit poor prior to this last round of FL bc I purchased my tier X Patton right before its on-track mission ended. I think I went into FL week with maybe $500k credits. At the end of FL I had over 6 million credits. I played maybe three of the days with last Sunday as my only time playing longer than 3 hours.

Here's my approach: I never use premium ammo bc it's same tier mm - know your enemy and find ways to pen (tanks.gg models are great place to start). I always run credit/xp personal reserves, and I primarily use premium tanks when focusing on credit earning (I tossed in my Panterra on occasion for the XP as I've been working that line). I also don't run premium consumables while in FL. I think I made general once last week but most of the time I was Major.

If you're not hitting shots regularly, it could be your crew bringing you down. Do you run equipment on your tanks? To me, it sounds like you are approaching your crew training very poorly and/or moving crews from one tank to the other too quickly if trying to only use the 90% retrain-for-credits thing. Crew training is hugely important the higher tier you go, and I know I had royally jacked mine all up and had been approaching things incorrectly until I read some of the guides for beginners on here. Just a thought...

If you have less than three tier VIIIs, I would shy away from FL (especially if you only have one). That was me at the earliest season of FL this year because I think I only had one or two tier VIII tanks. I unlocked more as time went on (and snagged another in the Black Market sale as well as the wheeled demon from that marathon grind). You also shouldn't approach FL as a regular random match, because it isn't. If you're trying to maximize your profits/earn rewards, you want to go for ranks which means farming damage and capping/resetting cap points. For me, the best games came when I was on the new map defending zone B. I'd drive my tank right into the zone and block it, earning massive cap-defense points and ranking up quickly.

The learning curve is very different in the mode than in random matches, and I don't focus on what the other team is spamming my way but rather on how I can make the most of my time in the mode. It can be a grind and monotonous at times, but I looked forward to the breath of fresh air from the crap shoot random matches each month. I hope they keep this mode around.

Hang in there. o7

I just finally got the Rhinemetal Borsig which I thought would be good... But the lack of good sight lines onto caps that don't get you spotted, the need for high mobility, and the inability to survive one artillery hit makes it less than stellar. (and explains why I never see them in Frontlines)

As for crews:

CanaveronAX is on skill #2

Pantera is still working on skill #1

RhinemetalBorsig is still working on skill #1

I guess I'll try to get something in the coming blackmarket sale. Hopefully it's not even more prohibitively expensive than last year because I could barely afford to get the caernaveron last time.

Also tagged with rant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users