Noob Player Needs Guidance

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

FrankFitz #1 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 19:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22000 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

I am what you can call a noob. I usually play to have fun with my friends on discord but ya know I just wanna make a name for myself on the game. I want people to say "Oh crapit's FrankFitz again focus that guy he is dangerous". I know I am really bad and I was wondering if some nice and skilled player could help me by tooning with me regularly. I want to know what is wrong with my play style. I go to college too full time so yeah. 

I tried and play ranked battles and I couldn't even reach the bronze league because I am bad. I can't get any reward tanks which I really want to and I wanna carry games and help other people get better. 

_Tsavo_ #2 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 19:18

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46824 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Congrats on completing the first step to improvement: acknowledging your flaws and seeking improvement. 

If you head to Twitch.tv/Tsavo_NA, there's a link to my discord and there's some good guys you can reach.   Feel free to reach out to me in game for tonnage as well. 

FrankFitz #3 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 19:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22000 battles
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR

View Post_Tsavo_, on Dec 03 2019 - 13:18, said:

Congrats on completing the first step to improvement: acknowledging your flaws and seeking improvement. 

If you head to Twitch.tv/Tsavo_NA, there's a link to my discord and there's some good guys you can reach.   Feel free to reach out to me in game for tonnage as well. 

Thank You soo much

BadCorps #4 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 20:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13068 battles

I will warn you now that plenty of people will just say "just git gud noob"

As for my advice, start small. If you're still in the lower tiers, log on to the SA server (under tier V). Since the server is vastly underpopulated, you'll be playing against bots for the most part but prioritize the other human player.

This (almost) harmless form of seal clubbing can be a big help, you can rack up medals easily and learn those maps really well. It's really good for training crews, since it's much easier to win. Just kill the enemy human, and have fun after that.

For the classes of tanks

Light: Weave often, stay unpredictable, avoid straight lines. Don't be too worried about shooting, if you're fast.

Medium: Support as best you can, know your vehicle well. Is the armour good, is the gun good, is it slow? Knowing your vehicle can be the difference between a great game and a ruined day.

Heavy: Again, know your vehicle. If the frontal armour is good, use it! If it's the turret, hide your hull.

Tank Destroyer: Know your vehicle, personally I like big BOOM so I go along with the high alpha guns. However, high DPM guns are fairly good as well (particularly the British turretless line, where the tier X has the highest DPM in the game as well as an amazing alpha.

Artillery: Equipment equipment equipment. Load your arty with equipment that will benefit the vehicle, but don't trick out the Lloyd GC or the T18 HMC with improved equipment. Don't put a camo net on a S-51 or other artillery with an itty bitty gun arc, be aware of the gun arc at all times. If you want an easy going arty line, go with the US, it offers large gun arcs and some pretty merciless guns (the M44 and the M53/55 are great examples of fast powerful guns). The USSR line on the other hand, offers small gun arcs and some bigger boom (except the tier X)

I hope this helps

Vulcan_Spectre #5 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 20:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6144 battles
  • [TCM] TCM
I'll focus you good or not :)

DomoSapien #6 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 20:26

Community Coordinator

• -Players-
  • 14991 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

I'd offer to help ya out but my wot sessions have been a bit inconsistent lately and I'm probably not the best coach. I highly highly recommend checking out some of our Community Contributors' content on Youtube and Twitch. They are quite friendly folks, I work with all of them directly and I'm sure they would be happy to offer you advice and answer questions at the very least.

Some folks whose content I would recommend for beginners:

Guido1212 (he's a former Air Force pilot and generally a really friendly dude. I get lots of comments from players who are happy they discovered his channel because he runs a very chill, informative stream and puts out some great videos.) Youtube| Twitch

Goshism (we used to work together in Wargaming Customer Support, also a very chill and friendly dude, tends to stream in the early afternoons and is a lover of all things Star Wars, Fallout, and Tanks. He specializes in Medium Tanks, and he helped me learn how to utilize my hitpoints effectively/stay alive longer) - Twitch

OminousFyxen - (Also a veteran, runs a pretty relaxed and educational stream - she's very friendly and very helpful) - Twitch

DamiensGaming - Another really chill, really helpful and down-to-earth guy, recently joined our Community Contributor program and he has been absolutely killing it. Twitch

13Disciple - Also recently joined the program, runs a chill stream and is very knowledgeable about core gameplay mechanics. He's got a bunch of written guides up on his website 13disciple.stream and streams regularly on Twitchas well

If you're looking for more competitive-oriented/high-level gameplay, check out TRUVoodoo (twitch| youtube) , Jerm_NA (Twitch) , Taugrim (Youtube) , Supernova_o7 (Twitch) , _zero_3marklegend (twitch) , Edge_of_Insanity (Twitch), Trobsmonkey (Twitch| Youtube), Sofilein (Twitch| Youtube

BlackFive #7 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 37217 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostFrankFitz, on Dec 03 2019 - 19:12, said:

I am what you can call a noob. I usually play to have fun with my friends on discord but ya know I just wanna make a name for myself on the game. I want people to say "Oh crapit's FrankFitz again focus that guy he is dangerous". I know I am really bad and I was wondering if some nice and skilled player could help me by tooning with me regularly. I want to know what is wrong with my play style. I go to college too full time so yeah. 

I tried and play ranked battles and I couldn't even reach the bronze league because I am bad. I can't get any reward tanks which I really want to and I wanna carry games and help other people get better. 

What is your self-analysis of what you need to do to improve?

While we wait:  The best advice I ever received was "Stay alive longer, and keep your gun in the game."  That meant running away when you were 1/2 hp and then supporting (with whatever tank you were driving)  After a while - it gets easier.

FYI - a very easy metric to remember; Just do 

• Learning - 100x your Tier in damage (Tier 7 = 700)
  • Good - 200x your Tier in damage (Tier 9 = 1800)
  • Carrying - 300x your Tier in damage (Tier 10 = 3,000)

Tod_kommt #8 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 21:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1451 battles
  • [MSG] MSG

Tsavo is the voice of reason and logic. WOT is the complete opposite.

Respectfully

Tod_Kommt

Edited by Tod_kommt, Dec 03 2019 - 21:09.

HAN_Y0L0 #9 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 21:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29271 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

I play very sparatically due to RL work and having military obligations.  The best I can do is just offer some advice.

1. At the beginning of every match look at both teams tank compositions and gauge where your tank will be best utilized for the meta of the map.

2. Understand your tank and it's mechanics... Make sure its properly equipped and supplied and also that you are training your tank crew properly.

3. Learn the maps, take some time and do some team training to drive around the maps and look for good bush positions, firing corners... anything that will give you an advantage.

4. Watch really good players stream game play and pay attention to what they are doing, a lot of people watch for the banter... You are there for the gameplay.

5 Visit wotreplays and watch lots of replays to glean useful information from them.

6. When doing all the things above do your best to stay objective in nature, remember that watching people play it's usually going to be the absolute best possible so don't get frustrated by not being able to emulate this.  Take what you can from all the data you are accumulating and apply it to your gameplay. Learn when to be aggressive or when to slow play a position. There are so many variables in this game to take into account when executing your actions.  Always try to do your absolute best.

_Tsavo_ #10 Posted Dec 03 2019 - 21:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46824 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

View PostDomoSapien, on Dec 03 2019 - 14:26, said:

I'd offer to help ya out but my wot sessions have been a bit inconsistent lately and I'm probably not the best coach.

Platoon with me more you scrub <3

CITY_MORGUE #11 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5235 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostBlackFive, on Dec 03 2019 - 20:41, said:

While we wait:  The best advice I ever received was "Stay alive longer, and keep your gun in the game."  That meant running away when you were 1/2 hp and then supporting (with whatever tank you were driving)  After a while - it gets easier.

3k dmg carrying poggies

BlackFive #12 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 04:05

Major

• Players
  • 37217 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostTripleDELUXExGAMER, on Dec 04 2019 - 00:26, said:

3k dmg carrying poggies

...well, then there's people doing more than 3x their average tier - but they try too hard, belong to clans with clever names and get free stuff from WOT just by playing

dunniteowl #13 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 04:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostBlackFive, on Dec 03 2019 - 13:41, said:

This advice, I have translated to a Mantra.

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

It means, Stay alive as long as you can, keep your gun in the game and flex when you can to prevent someone else from being eliminated if possible.  Of course, it's more than just that, the mantra is nothing more than a 'handy' prioritization list to tell you what you should be doing at any given moment in time.  I came to the forums and saw a LOT of good advice and it boiled down to the post I am quoting.

Stay alive, keep your gun in the game, make sure you reposition to keep doing both the above.  It's easy to remember

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

You are doing okay, OP so far. You have exceeded the "above the Server Average" crowd.  Of course, those who always seek to improve have this funny habit of doing just that: Improve.

The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) 

is a distillation of ALL the basic and necessary information I found in my search to improve at this game.  I didn't write any of those guides, didn't make any of those videos or put together the game mechanics.

All I did was package them together to save folks the time I spent finding all the Good Stuff that is in there.  I use them as well as promote them.  I do that, because they WORK when understood and applied.  I am not sure how much of any of it you require, that's up to you. 

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

jamesdoz #14 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 39619 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostBlackFive, on Dec 03 2019 - 14:41, said:

Damn, 3k in tier 10 is a carry these days?

Say it ain't so Joe, Say it ain't So

BlackFive #15 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 05:39

Major

• Players
  • 37217 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postjamesdoz, on Dec 04 2019 - 05:35, said:

Damn, 3k in tier 10 is a carry these days?

Say it ain't so Joe, Say it ain't So

Average.  Not just once in a while; average.  You can look at the 3xDeluxeGamer's stat thingy and see he's doing above the 3x / Tier thing and getting 60%... so yeah, carrying.

… whereas I am pulling in the 2x range and getting 53%... and thus 'contributing'

Edited by BlackFive, Dec 04 2019 - 05:49.

I_QQ_4_U #16 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 05:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 23665 battles

View PostFrankFitz, on Dec 03 2019 - 19:12, said:

You've got the battle half won just by your positive attitude and lack of blame and tinfoil. The one thing I did all by myself when I started playing was watching my replays and seeing what mistakes I made and what I could have done different. You often see things completely missed while playing, once you're aware of these things you should become more aware of what's going on around you in game. If you want a really honest and not too brutal evaluation of your play send a replay into Guido.

https://www.youtube....yDgTp6XBCdzoNLA

jamesdoz #17 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 05:50

Major

• Players
  • 39619 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostBlackFive, on Dec 03 2019 - 23:39, said:

Average.  Not just once in a while; average.  You can look at the 3xDeluxeGamer's stat thingy and see he's doing above the 3x / Tier thing and getting 60%... so yeah, carrying.

… whereas I am pulling in the 2x range and getting 53%... and thus 'contributing'

Damn, It used to be 2.5 to 3x your hp, not 2- 3 years ago, 

• Carrying - 300x your Tier in damage (Tier 10 = 3,000) this is what you wrote, I am not knocking you at all Black5, I am just surprised is all

Edited by jamesdoz, Dec 04 2019 - 05:52.

BlackFive #18 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 06:10

Major

• Players
  • 37217 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View Postjamesdoz, on Dec 04 2019 - 05:50, said:

Damn, It used to be 2.5 to 3x your hp, not 2- 3 years ago, 

• Carrying - 300x your Tier in damage (Tier 10 = 3,000) this is what you wrote, I am not knocking you at all Black5, I am just surprised is all

Re-reading what I wrote; I do sound a bit defensive.  Not intended. 

But yeah; from what I can see, the Purple guys average above 3x per game - the Blues (like me) are pulling above 2x - and the solid performers average their HP in damage; it's not really that different from what we used to say (Do your HP, at least).

If you are doing 2.5 x 10 x Tier, you're probably a Deep Blue/ Light purple, whereas a 1.5 is likely a solid green.

My whole point of this was to give a general, easy-to-remember metric on "how am I doing" (rather than some of the exhaustively detailed per tank & tier studies out there that accurately show what each tank needs to do to excel in)

VooDooKobra #19 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 06:18

Major

• Players
  • 10087 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostBadCorps, on Dec 03 2019 - 12:16, said:

I will warn you now that plenty of people will just say "just git gud noob"

As for my advice, start small. If you're still in the lower tiers, log on to the SA server (under tier V). Since the server is vastly underpopulated, you'll be playing against bots for the most part but prioritize the other human player.

This (almost) harmless form of seal clubbing can be a big help, you can rack up medals easily and learn those maps really well. It's really good for training crews, since it's much easier to win. Just kill the enemy human, and have fun after that.

For the classes of tanks

Light: Weave often, stay unpredictable, avoid straight lines. Don't be too worried about shooting, if you're fast.

Medium: Support as best you can, know your vehicle well. Is the armour good, is the gun good, is it slow? Knowing your vehicle can be the difference between a great game and a ruined day.

Heavy: Again, know your vehicle. If the frontal armour is good, use it! If it's the turret, hide your hull.

Tank Destroyer: Know your vehicle, personally I like big BOOM so I go along with the high alpha guns. However, high DPM guns are fairly good as well (particularly the British turretless line, where the tier X has the highest DPM in the game as well as an amazing alpha.

Artillery: Equipment equipment equipment. Load your arty with equipment that will benefit the vehicle, but don't trick out the Lloyd GC or the T18 HMC with improved equipment. Don't put a camo net on a S-51 or other artillery with an itty bitty gun arc, be aware of the gun arc at all times. If you want an easy going arty line, go with the US, it offers large gun arcs and some pretty merciless guns (the M44 and the M53/55 are great examples of fast powerful guns). The USSR line on the other hand, offers small gun arcs and some bigger boom (except the tier X)

I hope this helps

View PostTod_kommt, on Dec 03 2019 - 13:08, said:

Tsavo is the voice of reason and logic. WOT is the complete opposite.

Respectfully

Tod_Kommt

i disagree, i think it has more  to do with how the post is written.  if someone is looking for helkp and wants to improve most players will be glad to help out but those who start out blaming everything under the sun for their struggling are the ones that will get the smart alek remarks

dunniteowl #20 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 07:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostVooDooKobra, on Dec 03 2019 - 23:18, said:

i disagree, i think it has more  to do with how the post is written.  if someone is looking for helkp and wants to improve most players will be glad to help out but those who start out blaming everything under the sun for their struggling are the ones that will get the smart alek remarks

And those usually only follow after good, solid advice HAS been proffered and foolishly slapped away with excuses.

At least, that's how I roll.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users