Having >445m view range worth it?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Meruccubus #1 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:00

Captain

• Players
  • 12570 battles
  • [PZWTZ] PZWTZ

Been a while since I played WoT (~3 years), so I'm familiar with spotting mechanics unless they've changed drastically.

My Type 62 has a pretty solid crew on it from back in the day, though I note that past me went a bit insane with view range perks and equipment.

Given how frequently this tank suffers from ammo damage and/or multiple crew getting knocked out when it's shot, I was considering dropping Recon for Jack of All Trades and retraining my loader to Safe Stowage / BIA / Camo.

CREW:

• Commander: Sixth Sense / BIA / Recon
  • Gunner: Camo / BIA / Snap Shot
  • Driver: Camo / BIA / Preventative Maintenance*
  • Loader/Radio: Camo / BIA / Situational Awareness

EQUIPMENT:

• Binos
  • Camo
  • Vents

Currently my tank has a "534m" view range with the binos active and 427m without. Once I finish Recon / Situational Awareness I'll it "451m" of view range without any optics. If I replace Binos with Coated Optics I'll be reaching out to "496m."

I guess this big question is - is it worth having over 445m of detection? I know having over the limit helps detect tanks with good camo earlier, but at what point does investing in specialized spotting skills (SA & Recon) / equipment (binos) become questionable?

*I use a removed speed governor (replacing fire extinguisher) to help get into position/bug out

Ironmike11B #2 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:15

Major

• Players
  • 31955 battles
Every little bit of range helps. After 445m, it starts to counteract the camo rating of enemy tanks so they can be spotted farther out.

Space_Modulator #3 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18243 battles
In my humble opinion, go for ALL the view range you can get. Camo values on an opponent subtract from your view range. Tip the equation in your favor as far as possible. I carry coated optics on all of my "tanks" except Arty.

Rothbardian #4 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 49286 battles
  • [FINES] FINES
I agree get the view range. Go with optics over binocs so that you have 496 all the time.

moogleslam #5 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:22

Major

• Players
  • 47055 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

You absolutely want view range on a Tier VII Light Tank, but you also want flexibility, which is why Optics are more valuable than Binocs.  You're not always stationary, so likewise, Camo nets are not that valuable.

I'd recommend Optics, Rammer, VStab.  With BIA, Recon, SA, this would get you to 460 meters view range, which is certainly not too much.

Jack of all Trades has been fairly redundant since we got reusable med kits a few years ago.

No reason to run Preventative Maintenance unless you're running food, though if you are, you've got even more view range (479 meters).  There are so many good Driver Skills; Repairs, Smooth Ride, and Off Road Driving being the next three you should get.

On a Scout, SA & Recon are never "questionable".  They're a must, probably as a second or third skill.

jamesdoz #6 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:31

Major

• Players
  • 39619 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostMeruccubus, on Dec 03 2019 - 18:00, said:

Been a while since I played WoT (~3 years), so I'm familiar with spotting mechanics unless they've changed drastically.

My Type 62 has a pretty solid crew on it from back in the day, though I note that past me went a bit insane with view range perks and equipment.

Given how frequently this tank suffers from ammo damage and/or multiple crew getting knocked out when it's shot, I was considering dropping Recon for Jack of All Trades and retraining my loader to Safe Stowage / BIA / Camo.

CREW:

EQUIPMENT:

• Binos
  • Camo
  • Vents

Currently my tank has a "534m" view range with the binos active and 427m without. Once I finish Recon / Situational Awareness I'll it "451m" of view range without any optics. If I replace Binos with Coated Optics I'll be reaching out to "496m."

I guess this big question is - is it worth having over 445m of detection? I know having over the limit helps detect tanks with good camo earlier, but at what point does investing in specialized spotting skills (SA & Recon) / equipment (binos) become questionable?

*I use a removed speed governor (replacing fire extinguisher) to help get into position/bug out

Of Course it's always worth to get it over everything, except SS. I try to get everyone of my crews to at least 445. The higher the number is past 445 are the better I feel.

Meruccubus #7 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:39

Captain

• Players
  • 12570 battles
  • [PZWTZ] PZWTZ

View Postmoogleslam, on Dec 03 2019 - 15:22, said:

Jack of all Trades has been fairly redundant since we got reusable med kits a few years ago.

Perhaps, but I've had 2 crew knocked out often enough that I'm thinking about taking JoaT to help my capability while I wait for my medkit to come off cooldown.

Shidare_Hotaru #8 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28535 battles
  • [NAISU] NAISU

View PostMeruccubus, on Dec 04 2019 - 08:39, said:

Perhaps, but I've had 2 crew knocked out often enough that I'm thinking about taking JoaT to help my capability while I wait for my medkit to come off cooldown.

You can skip having to grind out jack of all trades by running a big med kit.

Grillo_Parlante #9 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12287 battles

Setup should be:

Equipment: rammer, optics, vert. stabs.

Consumables: repair kit, med kit, food

skills: No Preventative Maintenance or Jack of all Trades.  Go for Bia, VR skills, and camo first, than gun handling skills and safe stowage.

The 62's weakness is the low hp of the engine, which is prone to getting knocked out if hit from behind, and there is no perk that helps with that.  The crew members aren't especially prone to getting knocked out.  The ammo rack is largely solved by safe stowage.

Map changes, mming changes, and the addition of EBRs make pure passive spotting setups on a tank as powerful as the 62 a bit of a waste.  It's strength is in taking advantage of more favorable mming, while leveraging its now formidable DD potential coupled with the pre-nerf base VR and tier respectable camo values, which let it spot competitively without having to wait to let binos kick in.  

_PoliticallyIncorrect #10 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 00:55

Captain

• Players
  • 23853 battles
  • [TRY] TRY
It makes no noticable difference. You will literally never lose a single battle because you had 460 view range over 560. It would be like running GLD over Vert stab. 

Ndtm #11 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 01:17

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

View Postmoogleslam, on Dec 04 2019 - 00:22, said:

No reason to run Preventative Maintenance

Personally i'm quite glad i got it considering i remember being quite annoyed at getting my engine knocked out and set on fire so dang often (or at least it felt like it did, but i do remember it sometimes happening multiple times in the same game session), but since then it has thankfully been very infrequent.. that engine on the Type 62 is just silly..

Gunn_Fyter #12 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 01:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 472 battles
Yes, it is worth it. Beyond 445m, every additional meter of view range starts to have an impact on the concealment rating of anyone inside your max view range circle, making it harder for them to hide from you. 

_Tsavo_ #13 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 01:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46824 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

YES. 

Sure, you can't spot past 445, but you can do more.  Let's say some guy gets spotted at 300 meters against your 445, with 545 he'll be spotted even further away.

ThePigSheFlies #14 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 02:50

Major

• Players
  • 78432 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

for me, most of the maps in rotation don't support using binocs.

that being said, on many of my favorite LTs, I have 5+ perks, and run optics+vents+food to help with view range.

I've spotted as much as 13k assist with the 1390 when it was a tier 8, running optics.  and 9k with the even 90 this year.

most often, I spot to set up my own shots, and/or to ensure I've identified a seam to go get behind the enemy with, if things go south.  if the team shoots what I light, then that's a bonus.

that being said, I don't have the type 62.  T71 / Amx 1357 are too ♥ for me to buy it even 40% off.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #15 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 02:54

Captain

• Players
  • 29666 battles

This is a tough one because of stupid wheelies. I would say go with binocs so you can spot the stupid wheelies earlier and get teh F out when it starts getting to close. But yes safe stowage is a must and bia of course, I would get rid of camo net for gun rammer though. Just make sure you know how to use bushes properly when firing. 

The only reason to use optics is when yo are active spotting but its much harder to do that now with stupid wheelies. So its kinda tough to say depending on your play style. Good luck

Oh and jack of all trades is all fine and dandy until your commander gets hit, then its useless and you better have a first aid kit of some kind.

oxf_and_bucks #16 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 03:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 53780 battles

Yeah every little bit helps.

I set up all my lights like ThePig mentions.

I even set up my Bat chat 25T like that as it does an admirable job as a scout in a pinch,as a poor EBR 105 found last night when I out spotted him bush sitting on redshire.

PJMC #17 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 03:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27389 battles
Coated optics for sure. I don't run jack of all trades. I would highly recommend designated target on your gunner. That extra two seconds will net you a.bunch of damage and assist.

Unk3mpt #18 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 04:19

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4785 battles
  • [0VER] 0VER
Vision control and cutting through camo, so max for me.

BlackFive #19 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 04:43

Major

• Players
  • 37217 battles
  • [_E_] _E_

View PostMeruccubus, on Dec 04 2019 - 00:00, said:

CREW:

EQUIPMENT:

• Binos
  • Camo
  • Vents

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Dec 04 2019 - 02:50, said:

for me, most of the maps in rotation don't support using binocs.

that being said, on many of my favorite LTs, I have 5+ perks, and run optics+vents+food to help with view range.

I've spotted as much as 13k assist with the 1390 when it was a tier 8, running optics.  and 9k with the even 90 this year.

most often, I spot to set up my own shots, and/or to ensure I've identified a seam to go get behind the enemy with, if things go south.  if the team shoots what I light, then that's a bonus.

that being said, I don't have the type 62.  T71 / Amx 1357 are too ♥ for me to buy it even 40% off.

Like Pig writes - Passive spotting is not really a good option any more.  Go for active spotting / damage

SisIovesme #20 Posted Dec 04 2019 - 05:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 22980 battles
nice avatar lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users