A modest proposal for Wheeled Vehicles

Wheeled Vehicles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Siege Mode for Wheeled Vehicles? (30 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Can Wheeled Vehicles be altered without nerfing to destruction?

1. Yes. (19 votes [63.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.33%

2. No. (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Kill it with fire (8 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

Would Siege Mode be a viable option?

1. Perhaps (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Probably not (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

3. Forget the fire, nuke it from orbit... (12 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

If Siege Mode were added, what would it look like compared to Active Mode?

1. Limited Speed (7 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

2. Better DPM (2 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Better Camo (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Better View Range (7 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

5. All of the above. (4 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

6. None of the above (14 votes [37.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

What would Fast Travel Mode look like?

1. Lower DPM (4 votes [8.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

2. Lower Camo (8 votes [17.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

3. Much better speed (7 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

4. Lower View Range (6 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

5. Just get rid of auto aim+ (15 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. All of the above (5 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Hide poll

Das_Flamingo #1 Posted Dec 10 2019 - 22:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14199 battles

I see a lot of hate for wheeled vehicles in game, along with the attending calls to "Remove them." I'm sure those who love them and those who don't will not be swayed by the arguments of the other side, but it got me to thinking. "Why remove them if we could adjust their mechanics to limit some of the more complained about features?"

So here goes: Why not fully implement what Wargaming has already halfheartedly implemented with their travel mode?

Active Scout Mode: They have the speed, but the gun is locked forward, like a Swedish TD or the old school ELC, along with significantly worse camo and view range. Standard Auto Aim applies.

Scout Siege Mode: Turret unlocks, dpm increases, as does camouflage, and view range...BUT, speed is severely limited (20-30kph maybe?).

In this way, the tanks would still have the ability to run around like a maniac, which to be honest, can be hysterically funny, but would have to play very thoughtfully to maximize damage/scouting output. At the end of the day, I hope that this at least provokes thoughtful conversation. (I know, I know, "This is the World of Tanks Forums....You hope WHAT, now?)

Cutthroatlemur #2 Posted Dec 10 2019 - 23:32

Major

• Players
  • 19995 battles
While I'm not a fan of the Wheelies (remember when WG swore it would NEVER have wheeled vehicles?) - I think that the only nerf they really need is to the ludicrously OP auto aim that they have.  

coconut2011 #3 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 00:57

Captain

• Players
  • 65925 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

A really simple fix is to hard cap EBR's view range to 400m and nerf HE penetration to 50.

That is, no matter how much food, equipment throwing at it, the maximum view range for EBR is capped at 400m.  Otherwise, with enough equipement, food, and skills, EBRs can still reach maximum view range.

oldewolfe #4 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 02:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 25016 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

I don't recall them SWEARING to never have Armored Cars, but then, that could have been Before my Time....      I started at the End of 9.4.....

What I Do recall, was Players ASKING for the Armored Cars after the 100th Anniversary of WWI Event....      So, even if they HAD Said No to Armored Cars back then, they EVENTUALLY Listened to the Playing Populace and Gave them what they wanted...     

Flaming_Manatees #5 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 03:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18370 battles

The thing that bothers me the most with wheelies is when you actually do hit them and it does NO DAMAGE and DOES NOT TRACK (only slows). Yes, I understand they have wheels, but the fact that they can just roll away undamaged after a perfectly aimed shot connects gives me so much rage.

Possible fix: increased slow if a tire is taken out. That way you're more inclined to repair the wheels with a kit just like any other light tank that gets tracked.

Caveat: I've never played wheelies so I'm talking out my [edited]. Maybe one day I'll try them so I'll know what I'm talking about.

Moridin_707 #6 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 03:27

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22165 battles

Remove magic auto aim

reduce HE DAMAGE and pen 

When a tire is hit SIGNIFICANTLY slow if not stop the vehicle

Restore the disadvantage to view range to give a reason for playing real light tanks

Penalty to turret rotation while turning just like any REAL tank in the game.

I like your ideas though. FAST mode removes all of the above AND has a cooldown before it can be switched again. Switching boost on and off when you need to turn is crap. Just like siege mode it should have an activation time and a cooldown.

Edited by Moridin_707, Dec 11 2019 - 03:28.

leeuniverse #7 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 06:46

Major

• Players
  • 41035 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

This is what should be done to fix Wheelies...

(p.s. I have little problem myself with wheelies other than when playing **** responsive/slow Arty.  But I AM sympathetic to people's issues, they can be difficult against, so like I always do, I provide the only reasonable/balanced solutions, that improves things rather than "nerfs" things, making the game more ****!)

1. The no-damage hits should be reduced, in other words, wheels should be penned more instead of just "hurt".

However, HP of wheeled should be increased to compensate for this nerf.

2. Wheeled Auto-Aim should be the games Default Auto-aim.  I've been using the mod version of it (still am for all my tanks for years now, and it makes a FAR better game, especially for those who have difficulty clicking the auto-aim like I used to, such as you going to click on it, you think it didn't but you did and you click again and end up disabling auto-aim, as well just being able to click the tank period.)

3. Tank Speeds should return to at least Pre Physics Nerf levels.  This is so people can more comfortably compete against Wheeled.  Me, I don't have an issue, I compensate anticipating wheeled encounter, but I recognize everyone is not like me, so this needs to be done.  (Preferably I would like the speeds to be even a bit faster than that.)  For example, people seemed to have forgotten that Tracked Lights used to almost be as fast as Wheeled.  They used to Yolo around like wheeled now do, for example on Malinovka, Tracks lights used to run the field at the beginning of the game to spot enemy leaving the base, but did you all even notice they don't anymore since the Great Physics Nerf, they only go to the designated bushes now, because they are too slow now?

4. Gun Performance returned to at least before the 1-2 Round Placement Accuracy Nerf levels...  They announced two nerfs, but not sure if they implemented the second.  Either way, guns suck donkey **** now.  This is so people can more comfortably compete against Wheeled, but their guns perform like **** making it harder to shoot them.  Me, I don't have much issue shooting wheeled, I compensate, but I recognize everyone is not like me, so this needs to be done.  (Preferably I would like gun performance to be even a bit better than that.)  Both the Speed Nerfs and Accuracy nerfs really killed my performance in the T49 for example.  It had no room to especially be having an Accuracy nerf, as well as the HE nerf that occurred when the first nerfed Arty.  I used to for example have 5,000 Damage games like once every 50-100 games or something, but I don't remember now the last time that occurred, maybe a couple of years even.

The above are the ONLY things that should be done to not ruin wheeled performance.  They can't be nerfed otherwise.

In fact, they even need some buffing.  I think only the T10 has the proper viewrange, not good, but not bad either, the others need to be increased, being far too easy outspotted that it makes you NOT want to scout, and that btw is part of the point of the class.

Also, they all, but especially the T9 and T10 need to get rid of the **** Physics that make their driving crazy.  I mean, you go over a slight dip in the ground and you end up flipping around, or you just slow down and turn slightly and you flip entirely around, that's some bull**** programing Wargaming.

oldewolfe #8 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 11:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 25016 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

All I can say is Try Driving them....     You'll see the Magic Disappear in a Hurry....      

If you don't want to Try them, then Stop Complaining about them....       Do the Research yourself and see what you Find.....

SteelRonin #9 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 13:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23676 battles
  • [SAKAI] SAKAI

What OP autoaim?.....the one that has a help tool to put the mouse pointer outside of the silouette of the enemy tank and you can still autoaim?.....because that is the feature the wheelies have........Or, are you talking about the accuracy on the move?....because that is another thing.

My way to "fix" the wheelies is:

1.- Reduce the accuracy on the move by 25%

2.- Increase HP by 15%

3.- Increase View Range by 20%

4.- Make Tier 9 and Tier 10 movement more realistic

Btw, the autoaim feature to lock on enemy targets does not work againts soviet tanks, your shots will always land on their spaced armor, so, you will have to aim manually even when moving at 80 km/h behind them. Use soviet tanks to be inmune to wheelies...

Carde #10 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 16:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 62617 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O
The ability to do damage and not take any damage is my problem.  One of those has to change dramatically.  A hard cap on view range should also occur so they cannot max VR even with food and purple gear.

Edited by Carde, Dec 11 2019 - 16:44.

Jryder #11 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 18:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14117 battles

View PostFlaming_Manatees, on Dec 10 2019 - 18:18, said:

The thing that bothers me the most with wheelies is when you actually do hit them and it does NO DAMAGE and DOES NOT TRACK (only slows). Yes, I understand they have wheels, but the fact that they can just roll away undamaged after a perfectly aimed shot connects gives me so much rage.

Possible fix: increased slow if a tire is taken out. That way you're more inclined to repair the wheels with a kit just like any other light tank that gets tracked.

Caveat: I've never played wheelies so I'm talking out my [edited]. Maybe one day I'll try them so I'll know what I'm talking about.

It's an inherently broken mechanic.

If shooting the wheels hamstrung them like EVERY OTHER VEHICLE IN THE GAME, they would die almost instantly due to their fragile nature. Because wheels "absorb" shots, it basically realigns the game such that tanks are essentially 2 wheeled vehicles, and 6 or 8 wheeles> 2 wheels. Well, it seems to me that a vehicle that can't exist in the game without making it immune to the most basic principles of the game which apply to all other vehicles, that vehicle clearly is broken and has no place in the game as such. Add in the auto-aim which is a CHEAT for every other vehicle and you have the SNAFU we now live with.

Geldahar #12 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 18:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 22552 battles
  • [TRY] TRY

Reduce the on the move accuracy

Remove the high pen HE rounds

Give all light tanks the improved auto-aim

Allow shells to penetrate the tank through the wheels

Only allow repair progress on the wheels while the tank is sitting still (it can repair full speed on the move, wth?)
make it flip over if it turns to fast

Vulcan_Spectre #13 Posted Dec 11 2019 - 18:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6903 battles
  • [RACK] RACK
1 way I the wheels, make hitting em give them a long term effect, like their traverse gets worse for every hurt wheel on the ground driving, and you can fix the traverse

Also tagged with Wheeled Vehicles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users