• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Jambijon #1 Posted Dec 14 2019 - 19:24

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3799 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Greetings Tankers!

We're close to finishing up 2019 and we have some information on the future development plans for WoT!

Since we're compressing a whole year of plans, it's best to visit our article linked below.

A Fresh Preview of 2020: Moscow Event News

Highlights:

Balance is always a hot topic so here's a new Dev Diaries going a little more in detail about "New Balance."

GLHF!

Gothraul #2 Posted Dec 14 2019 - 20:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 2642 battles
The new crew is probably going to be an inconvenience for old accounts with zero perk crews, as for conversion will we get choices as to how that plays out?

fuzzylollipop #3 Posted Dec 14 2019 - 22:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14186 battles
  • [PZMAF] PZMAF

Thanks for posting this now instead of after christmas. This makes my decision to buy loot boxes to get gold/prem an easy decision and saves me a lot of money to spend on another game(s) instead.

I am 100% NOT interested in playing WoT if you go through with the HE changes as they are now.

KV-2 and my other large caliber derpy cannon tanks will be zero fun for me.

155mm HE is one of the only ways to damage the OP reward tanks that I have to play against at and above Tier 8.

T110-E HE in the face to the 279e or the T95/Cheifain make them think twice, in the tracks from the front, they can be permatracked and made ineffective in leading a push, where as the AP is just completely ineffective.

I will never have those tanks because I will never have the time to invest to get them.

I do not think it is fair to have to play against Clan Reward tanks outside the Clan environment. Especially when they are so over powered.

Zero fun for me means Zero $$$ for you.

My premium time will expire and will not be renewed.

Edited by fuzzylollipop, Dec 14 2019 - 22:25.

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Dec 14 2019 - 22:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 47417 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
The only thing that bothers me is my T49 losses it's ability to full pen things.  :c

The_Illusive_Man #5 Posted Dec 14 2019 - 22:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 13377 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Dec 14 2019 - 17:13, said:

The only thing that bothers me is my T49 losses it's ability to full pen things.  :c

Yeah. Maybe give those of us that have full penned other tanks in the T49 (with the derp) a special Über T49....

Anoniponi #6 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 03:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19157 battles

Bring Pearl River back.. but change it so much that it's not Pearl River anymore.

Umm. nobody asked for this..

Ta_Hun_Kwai #7 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 16:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 18178 battles
im a bit worried about the crew skill this it sounds to me like they are going to do a skill tree for them if that the case they need to look at what armored warfare did cause that skill tree so honestly harder to understand then what is done in war thunder and the war thunder one is harder to understand then the world of tanks ones

Edited by Ta_Hun_Kwai, Dec 15 2019 - 16:30.

Altwar #8 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 17:23

Major

• Players
  • 59488 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostTa_Hun_Kwai, on Dec 15 2019 - 07:10, said:

im a bit worried about the crew skill this it sounds to me like they are going to do a skill tree for them if that the case they need to look at what armored warfare did cause that skill tree so honestly harder to understand then what is done in war thunder and the war thunder one is harder to understand then the world of tanks ones

Look how they have a skill tree for World of Warships.  Pretty much the limit is you have to unlock a 2 pt skill before a 3, a 3 before a 4 and that is it.  While I do think crew skills can use a change to where each becomes worthwhile, rather than the current some are obviously better and some obviously worse, I have my doubts as to Wargaming's ability to make it better.  And I really don't to have to go thru and rework the 100s of cree that I have.

latvius #9 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 17:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36445 battles
The EU server has battle of the streamers with Skill4ltu and Dezgames, I wish NA server was incorporated in that as I follow both of them (youtube) and wish I had a chance of them being a commander in my garage.

BottomFeedingBOTgarbage #10 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 29 battles

All in all, I think the forecast for 2020 is dark ...

I think now that WG should just scrap WOT all together and move right on to grav tanks and ray guns

That'll rake-in all kinds of child gamers

Edited by BottomFeedingBOTgarbage, Dec 15 2019 - 17:50.

Diacom #11 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31877 battles
  • [MKGGT] MKGGT

Crew 2.0 looks too much like WOWS crew progression, which I severely dislike!

Equipment reworking... Well, I'm going to predict that this will be revised all year long as it will be broken from implementation and have to be "fixed" multiple times.

Removing low tier tanks to stream line tier 1-4?  FFS, why not just do this for 1-8 or 1-10?  If you're going to ruin the game this way why not just get it done all at once.

Battlepass?  So you're trying to streamline low tier playing and crews and equipment, but then you introduce a way to have upgradable equipment? HUH?

Adjusting in-game economy?  It's been borked for years when you adjusted earnings down.  Then when you "fixed" arty, you screwed that class earnings by not adjusting shell costs, damage output loss and income.  Then came blue prints, another added mess how things work.  You've certainly cut back on most of the useful sales for Credits we used to enjoy, training/retraining of crew comes to mind.  Now were supposed to believe you'll fix the economy that YOU have broken?  Yeah right!

Pearl River.  I dunno.  So far, in my opinion, every map you've converted to HD has been made worse.  The fact you wont bring back all maps into the rotation, broken or not doesn't cut it.  I mean, even it we're on a broken map, it's only for the one battle.  Especially with the way map rotation works now, right?  Cause that's been fixed(ish)  so why keep breaking good maps and not bringing back all of them before worrying about Berlin and such?

2020 is looking like a further slide in WG.  I'm not happy with how many of these changes.  I'm already not going to be playing much as in the past, but this will pretty much push me away all together.

Edited by Diacom, Dec 15 2019 - 18:37.

Goat_Rodeo #12 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 19:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15964 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4
All I’m going to say is that if WG decides to go the Blitz equipment rework route, you will gut the playebase. It happened there a few years back and it’ll happen here too. The term, “the players asked for this” was used then, but no one I’d talked to, in or out of my clan, had asked for them. Not even in the forums. 

Badkarma #13 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 19:42

Captain

• Players
  • 32244 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Honestly, there's not too much that WG "fixes" and is not completely screwed up after they mess with it.

Tivis7 #14 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 21:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21304 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

My suggestion to ease new player navigation in the tech tree is to have an "easy mode" where they get the "simplification".

Basically, my idea would highlight the major paths of the most used and popular vehicles and darken the less popular options. That way new players are lead on to good tanks more easily and aren't overwhelmed.

PLEASE SOME ONE READ THIS I don't want my low tier tanks to die :( 

eraser1962 #15 Posted Dec 15 2019 - 22:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 28525 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

PLAYER BALANCE IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN TANK and AMMO BALANCE!

Congratulations

I want to congratulate World of Tanks for what will be an amazing 10 year milestone. This is an incredible achievement for any video game.  This incredible achievement could never have been reached without consistent innovation and evolution.  Despite the snipes, World of Tanks has so many positives it would take paragraphs to write them all down.  But there's always things that can be improved to keep the game fun, engaging and enduring.

Too Many Blow-out Games at Top Tiers

Today, I believe one of the most serious risks to the game are dramatic skill mismatches that occur "regularly" at the top tiers.  I ran an experiment in 100 consecutive random battles using a Tier 9 tank. This was done to allow for the distribution of matchmaking across the top 3 tiers. 66% of these random battles ended in 15 - 5 or worse results. The percentage of blowouts were overwhelming. The single greatest factor to these blowouts appeared to be player skill level. XVM (yes, I know how much some dislike it) provides a probability assessment of each match (pre anonymizer) and it was right on well over 90% of the matches. Only 6% of the outcomes were not predicted. The easiest factor to see was the number of players in Tiers 8, 9 and 10 with Personal Ratings that were less than 4K. It appears that the participation of low PR players at these higher tiers are what are creating 66% of the matches as blowouts. Blow-outs are no fun for anyone. You simply wouldn't put Grandmasters up against novices in any activity. It's pointless and kills the fun for everyone.

It's not their fault that they want to play the higher tiers for the bigger guns, more armor and more perceived fun.  Today there is an implicit matchmaking assumption that tank tier is equal to player skill level.  This is simply not the case.  Today, it's pretty easy with all sorts of boosters and XP conversions for players to race through tech trees even if their personal rating is substantially below average.  Combine that with the ability to buy Tier 8 Premium Tanks on Day 1 - this makes it hard for new players to resist the temptation of skipping the grinds so that they can get to play the better tanks with better guns and armor, ASAP. But these players that short cut learning to play the game are killing the fun of the game at higher tiers for better players.  It really doesn't bode well for the fun and engagement in the game to have 2/3'rds of the top tier matches result in blow-outs.  I have a hunch that a team of skilled players (6K and up PR) in Tier 8 tanks would beat a team of below average players (below 4K PR) in Tier 10 tanks at least 7 out of 10 games.

Tie in Personal Ratings to Tech Tree Progression

Perhaps you could consider evaluating modification to the tech tree progress forumula (XP) to also include progress on your Personal Rating by tier. The progress to unlock at new tier could be tied to something very reasonable like the 65th percentile PR of all players for that tier. This in combination with grinding XP. Since skills based match making is nowhere on the horizon, use minimum skill tranches based on the existing PR system and link that to tech tree progression.

Give Premium Tanks a Wonderful New Benefit*

Since selling premium tanks is a huge revenue source for Wargaming and you most certainly can't and shouldn't cut that out. Evaluate giving all premium tanks a wonderful benefit that should drive even more sales. Consider giving all premium tanks even BETTER preferential matchmaking of their tier or lower. BUT, go back to making premium tanks slightly worse then the tech tree counterparts. This would be a great way to help stop the madness (and complaining) of OP premium tanks.  Better preferential matchmaking would be a HUGE selling point for premium tanks and would limit some of the instant access that new players have into top tiers.  Players love knowing that they will be top tier in matches.  I think this would be a HUGE selling point for premium tanks.

Time to Add Tiers 11 (and even 12)

With a game that is nearly 10 years old you have built up a large, devoted, loyal base of customers.  But unfortunately, many (like me) have less and less inclination to spend money on pay services (premium tanks) because we already have more than enough Tier 8 tanks than we can reasonably play.  It's time to give us new reasons to open our wallets again.  Use some of the current reward tanks as the blueprints for Tier 11.  Offer premium tanks for Tiers 9, 10, 11.  Again with the caveat that they will be slightly less powerful than their tech tree counterparts but that they will have better preferential matchmaking.  Make it only possible for me to purchase tanks in the tiers that my PR qualifies me to play.  Gives me all the incentive in the world to open my wallet and to work on my skill progression along with grinding.

I am a devoted fan of the game and hope that you will give these ideas some thought and consideration. I know that each idea will have issues and unintended consequences - but they should be considered. World of Tanks needs to have attention to player balance far more importantly than equipment balance. Even though both are important.

Edited by eraser1962, Dec 15 2019 - 22:40.

DemitriVritra_US #16 Posted Dec 16 2019 - 02:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25690 battles
  • [MSFTR] MSFTR
someone is clearly off there rocker both in this forum and in the WG staff.

regardless I love how they announce tier 2-4 tanks will be redone but hey you'll get to keep them without giving us a list, because honestly? I don't trust WG's choices with the whole ruining HE fiasco like seriously at no point will the game benefit from the HE rework no matter how much you sand box it, you Tried the each round has a purpose Schtick with WoWP it pissed a lot of people off and everyone either stuck to Universal or Incendiary because the explosive round was made so effing pointless no one wants to use it, and now WOT is repeating the same effing Mistake. you know what doing only module damage does :/ jack all. unless there is a promise that it greatly increases chances of Engine fires and Ammo Racks HE use will completely die out.

cloudwalkr #17 Posted Dec 16 2019 - 02:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

All I know is that I have got sooooo many tanks with crews in them that I'm worried about you (WG) messing with them.  At the very best it will mean I have to sit down and go back through all these tanks and re-pick new skills for them and at worst...well...I'm trying not to think of all the ways this could go bad for my crews.

You have crew books, boosters, premium account, bonuses...codes  100 different things to help boost a crew.  Building a crew isn't the problem in this game so why make such a seemingly drastic change that might seriously mess with people?

I mean...honestly...do this instead

LOWER RNG

LIMIT 1 ARTY PER TEAM

GO FOG OF WAR FOR RANDOMS

and then just make World of Tanks 2 and call it good.

Edited by cloudwalkr, Dec 16 2019 - 03:01.

BottomFeedingBOTgarbage #18 Posted Dec 16 2019 - 03:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 29 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Dec 15 2019 - 20:59, said:

so why make such a seemingly drastic change that might seriously mess with people?.

I watched the stream, and heard every translated word 5 x 5 in those few seconds ... Because "the players asked for it"

For the players ... for the children

Edited by BottomFeedingBOTgarbage, Dec 16 2019 - 04:03.

E_RommelsRevenge #19 Posted Dec 16 2019 - 03:59

Private

• -Players-
  • 1278 battles
  • [-NWO-] -NWO-

View Posteraser1962, on Dec 15 2019 - 22:37, said:

PLAYER BALANCE IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN TANK and AMMO BALANCE!

Congratulations

I want to congratulate World of Tanks for what will be an amazing 10 year milestone. This is an incredible achievement for any video game.  This incredible achievement could never have been reached without consistent innovation and evolution.  Despite the snipes, World of Tanks has so many positives it would take paragraphs to write them all down.  But there's always things that can be improved to keep the game fun, engaging and enduring.

Too Many Blow-out Games at Top Tiers

Today, I believe one of the most serious risks to the game are dramatic skill mismatches that occur "regularly" at the top tiers.  I ran an experiment in 100 consecutive random battles using a Tier 9 tank. This was done to allow for the distribution of matchmaking across the top 3 tiers. 66% of these random battles ended in 15 - 5 or worse results. The percentage of blowouts were overwhelming. The single greatest factor to these blowouts appeared to be player skill level. XVM (yes, I know how much some dislike it) provides a probability assessment of each match (pre anonymizer) and it was right on well over 90% of the matches. Only 6% of the outcomes were not predicted. The easiest factor to see was the number of players in Tiers 8, 9 and 10 with Personal Ratings that were less than 4K. It appears that the participation of low PR players at these higher tiers are what are creating 66% of the matches as blowouts. Blow-outs are no fun for anyone. You simply wouldn't put Grandmasters up against novices in any activity. It's pointless and kills the fun for everyone.

It's not their fault that they want to play the higher tiers for the bigger guns, more armor and more perceived fun.  Today there is an implicit matchmaking assumption that tank tier is equal to player skill level.  This is simply not the case.  Today, it's pretty easy with all sorts of boosters and XP conversions for players to race through tech trees even if their personal rating is substantially below average.  Combine that with the ability to buy Tier 8 Premium Tanks on Day 1 - this makes it hard for new players to resist the temptation of skipping the grinds so that they can get to play the better tanks with better guns and armor, ASAP. But these players that short cut learning to play the game are killing the fun of the game at higher tiers for better players.  It really doesn't bode well for the fun and engagement in the game to have 2/3'rds of the top tier matches result in blow-outs.  I have a hunch that a team of skilled players (6K and up PR) in Tier 8 tanks would beat a team of below average players (below 4K PR) in Tier 10 tanks at least 7 out of 10 games.

Tie in Personal Ratings to Tech Tree Progression

Perhaps youcould consider evaluating modification to the tech tree progress forumula (XP) to also include progress on your Personal Rating by tier. The progress to unlock at new tier could be tied to something very reasonable like the 65th percentile PR of all players for that tier. This in combination with grinding XP. Since skills based match making is nowhere on the horizon, use minimum skill tranches based on the existing PR system and link that to tech tree progression.

Give Premium Tanks a Wonderful New Benefit*

Since selling premium tanks is a huge revenue source for Wargaming and you most certainly can't and shouldn't cut that out. Evaluate giving all premium tanks a wonderful benefit that should drive even more sales. Consider giving all premium tanks even BETTER preferential matchmaking of their tier or lower. BUT, go back to making premium tanks slightly worse then the tech tree counterparts. This would be a great way to help stop the madness (and complaining) of OP premium tanks.  Better preferential matchmaking would be a HUGE selling point for premium tanks and would limit some of the instant access that new players have into top tiers.  Players love knowing that they will be top tier in matches.  I think this would be a HUGE selling point for premium tanks.

Time to Add Tiers 11 (and even 12)

With a game that is nearly 10 years old you have built up a large, devoted, loyal base of customers.  But unfortunately, many (like me) have less and less inclination to spend money on pay services (premium tanks) because we already have more than enough Tier 8 tanks than we can reasonably play.  It's time to give us new reasons to open our wallets again.  Use some of the current reward tanks as the blueprints for Tier 11.  Offer premium tanks for Tiers 9, 10, 11.  Again with the caveat that they will be slightly less powerful than their tech tree counterparts but that they will have better preferential matchmaking.  Make it only possible for me to purchase tanks in the tiers that my PR qualifies me to play.  Gives me all the incentive in the world to open my wallet and to work on my skill progression along with grinding.

I am a devoted fan of the game and hope that you will give these ideas some thought and consideration. I know that each idea will have issues and unintended consequences - but they should be considered. World of Tanks needs to have attention to player balance far more importantly than equipment balance. Even though both are important.

Excellent post.  I agree with your ideas.

I am not at all in favor of the drastic changes WG is planning for 2020.  I have played for 5 years and have over 125 tanks.  It’s taken me this long to get to be an average player.  I don’t want to have to relearn the game.

repsolroger #20 Posted Dec 16 2019 - 04:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 47781 battles
  • [ROGER] ROGER
New Vehicles
We’re constantly looking for outstanding new vehicles ....well not REALLY...you could have brought out 2 actual tanks that actually were used and fought..the german brumbar pziv chassis with a 150mm derp.( Turretless kv2).or the russian t35 (but would be like a tog...so of course cant have a Russian tank suck) instead of all these made up tanks THAT NEVER EXISTED..
But worried wot is going to ruin my almost 10 skill crew and other crews i worked on for 8 years....but so many players i know personally have quit..sick of rng dictating how a match will end..plus implement personal rating to matchmaker 3500 above/below because alot of new players go THIS game sucks..because they run into 5/6 skill crew 2/3/4 tier unicom platoons wasting them instantly...so then it snowballs into hundreds not even attempting the game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users