low tier game play blows

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Comrade_Killshot #1 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 16:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22346 battles
  • [IRE] IRE

Out of all the things I see people complain about, this is by far the worst. I also feel like it is easily overlooked by the vast majority of players because we are all grinding mostly higher tiers. Complain about wheelies and arty and xvm all you want but the horrific endeavor of low tier play is the biggest killer of a new player base.

2 recent events helped me uncover this

1. Me grinding out all the tanks tier 5 and lower
  2. A specific you tuber making a review on the game

I recently grinded out all the low tier tanks across all the nations to increase my universal blue print fragment chance. I have over 20k battles and a good understanding of how to play, but trying to grind through these low tiers was awful, even for me. I was constantly seal clubbed by 5 crew OP tanks. Yeah I got good ranks and wins but I was at a HUGE disadvantage with my 60% crew and stock tier 3 tank. If I was a new player and had very little understanding of this game I would have quit after the first 30 or so battles. This evidence seems to be supported by said youtuber attempting to play the game for the first time.

In conclusion we drastically need to do something for new players to get them out of this situation. For myself, on all my tier 2s and 3s I went over to the SA server and fought bots and it was a LOT better. Perhaps we let new players fight bots and each other and force experienced players to play each other. Also, crew members matter. New players may very well get a 100% crew but you grind out your first tier 1 in less than a dozen games. After this if you move up a tier your crew gets dropped right back down to useless. New players should be able to select a tier 10 they want to grind for and be given 100% crew members up to a decent tier, say 5 for example. 

And I already know there is the question of how that is going to be raised. My answer to that would be a formulation of battle total and battle effectiveness. If you have 100 battles but finish top on your team every time we can safely assume your account is a reroll or you have experience playing this game. 

Kliphie #2 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 16:40

Major

• Players
  • 34201 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
Isn't that why WG says they plan on trimming down the tech trees?

Comrade_Killshot #3 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 16:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22346 battles
  • [IRE] IRE

View PostKliphie, on Dec 27 2019 - 10:40, said:

Perhaps so and it may very well help but when I was grinding out my low tiers I could tell who was good and who was new. I can be in the same tank as someone else but with 20k games of experience I am going to slaughter them. We need a bigger buffer than just tank selection.

BUNNYHUGGERI #4 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 16:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 60279 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Ok...here we go...IT IS GROUND...NOT GRINDED....I am in fear for the people of today and the inability to communicate.

Oh yea...low tiers are a real pain to play.  I should know...I am down there with my Hetzer for missions and it is inhumane what I do to those new guys.

Joe_WireShark #5 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32460 battles

OP, thumbs up for the arduino logo, i have an automated garden arduino setup online, works great, even though my cheap chinese relay just blew, www.cereshelper.com

as for new players, its hard to get my friends to play, when they get slaughtered in 30 seconds, so yes, maybe your first 500-1000 games should be against bots.

also, you shouldnt be able to buy a tier 8 premium and join a battle with experienced players. again, maybe the first 500-1000 battles should against bots, might be helpful to the person to learn to shoot and aim, maybe hide if the bots were better than current bots

Insanefriend #6 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 49837 battles
Eat the credits and at least train to 75%!  Doing that helps so much it isn’t funny.  Also if you want to ez mode it just go fight bots on the SA server, you get them tier five and down.

White_Eagle_ #7 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 32412 battles
  • [GKC] GKC
How do you know they have 5 skilled crew?   The game has enough strategy that you can play well with, without having a 3-4 skilled crew.  The game is more about decision making

Altwar #8 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 60161 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostBUNNYHUGGERI, on Dec 27 2019 - 07:58, said:

Ok...here we go...IT IS GROUND...NOT GRINDED....I am in fear for the people of today and the inability to communicate.

+1

To the OP, what mod do you have that allows you to detect the crew skill levels of other players?  Otherwise, how else do you know other players are running 5 skill crew?  

Joe_WireShark #9 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32460 battles

View PostBrown_Fox, on Dec 27 2019 - 11:27, said:

How do you know they have 5 skilled crew?   The game has enough strategy that you can play well with, without having a 3-4 skilled crew.  The game is more about decision making

i have a tier 2 tetrarch with a 4 skill crew, its a fun tank, pens everything, add a  camo-net and noobs never see it coming.

maybe, a better idea is not introduce crew skills until tier 4 or 5 is reached

goldfinger_555 #10 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 17:42

Captain

• Players
  • 27820 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
I haven't played down there in a long time so can't comment on that.....However I do like the idea of researching all those tanks to change the blueprints we receive.

Flarvin #11 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 18:01

Major

• Players
  • 56021 battles

View PostBUNNYHUGGERI, on Dec 27 2019 - 10:58, said:

I had no issues understanding what he meant. So there was no “inability to communicate” his intent to me. 

Actively used natural languages are dynamic, yet they still have the ability to communicate. 

I bet someone from Shakespeare’s time, would fear for your “inability to communicate.” lol 

jst2gr8 #12 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 19:09

Captain

• Players
  • 70760 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

Well you really can't put a number on games played before knowing how to play or the mechanics of the game. I have seem many players with 30k plus battles and still have no clue how to play. Al ot of newer players get a premium tier 8 and think they are indestructible only to find out they are just as bad in that tank than their tier 3. 

I do agree that the seal clubbers run the new players off and there should be something done about that but saying there is a problem without a solution and like screaming at a deaf person. It will get you nowhere. 

AllieOop2 #13 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 19:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14 battles

View Postcomradekillshot, on Dec 27 2019 - 16:41, said:

Perhaps so and it may very well help but when I was grinding out my low tiers I could tell who was good and who was new. I can be in the same tank as someone else but with 20k games of experience I am going to slaughter them. We need a bigger buffer than just tank selection.

Go do your "grind" ( sorry anyone who doesn't have the saved XP to blow thru tiers I-III is amazing to me.) on SA. You see at tiers I-III all bots except one Red live player most days an most times. No lag complaints it is not bad. I have old HP computer on wireless and it was not even noticeable. I had to try it the other day to see for myself. Up to tier V its typically half team are bots an half live. Its simple an easy way to roll thru the low tiers.

View PostKliphie, on Dec 27 2019 - 16:40, said:

Exactly and threads like this can be thanked for the shredding of the low tier tree. Although I think its part of a major change in WoT at the top an bottom to regenerate the game.

Edited by AllieOop2, Dec 27 2019 - 19:15.

Norseskald #14 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 19:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24497 battles
  • [SKALD] SKALD

View PostBrown_Fox, on Dec 27 2019 - 17:27, said:

you have someone that has 20k plus and 4k in a tier 3 or 4 tank... well you dont have to put rockets together to figure it out, i get people want a great wn8 so they can dangle their e-peen, i mean nothing is cool having 4-10k games in a t67 right? i get people mocking others who are actually trying to help a game bring in and hold new players, while others like yourself want the game to be between you and a handful of others.

rascal30 #15 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 21:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22092 battles
Ran into a pathetic chap with 32k games in the T67 and another 9k in the M4A1.  How boring does your real life have to be to find playing the same tank 32k times is “fun”?  Where’s the challenge?

GeoMonster #16 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 21:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 38686 battles
  • [W0LF-] W0LF-
We KNOW the GREEN god won't be giving us his wisdom on this thread since he is in the TOP 3 for 100% platoon seal-clubbing and ruining the lower tiers.

I_QQ_4_U #17 Posted Dec 27 2019 - 21:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 25165 battles

The best way to learn a PVP game is to fight people better than you. If all they do is fight bots and other new players they're just going to stay bad when they get to the higher tiers.

The vast majority of the imbalance is experience, not crews, equipment or tank they are in.

dunniteowl #18 Posted Dec 28 2019 - 01:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on Dec 27 2019 - 10:09, said:

Eat the credits and at least train to 75%!  Doing that helps so much it isn’t funny.  Also if you want to ez mode it just go fight bots on the SA server, you get them tier five and down.

This was my thought as well when I read "60% Crew" and I just shook my head.

I did not KNOW A THING about this game when I started, but even so, I could see that 20K Credits per crew member for a 75% crew over a 50% crew was a really good deal.  And I am a 100% FTPP.  I had this part solid before I played my first 100 matches.

Super makes a difference to have a crew that's 50% better than free to start out. (for those that are challenged, a 75% crew is half again [50%] better than a 50% crew).

I agree that lower tiers are tough.  That said, I tend to play there (when I can play) at tiers IV and V with small excursions starting at tier I for grinding out lines.  You can find something to appreciate and learn at each tier, such has been my experience.  And, doing so, if you can tolerate the differences, should allow you to be more mentally flexible in how you decide to operate at which ever tier you're playing.

Mostly, though, I just play for the sake of playing and that means any tier is okay with me as long as my computer is up to the challenge.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

The_Pushok #19 Posted Dec 28 2019 - 02:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 18085 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

View PostBUNNYHUGGERI, on Dec 27 2019 - 10:58, said:

Oh yea...low tiers are a real pain to play.  I should know...I am down there with my Hetzer for missions and it is inhumane what I do to those new guys.

"Grinded" is acceptable in this context (video games), also when in the context of dancing.

Gtraxeman #20 Posted Dec 28 2019 - 03:12

Captain

• Players
  • 37929 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postdunniteowl, on Dec 28 2019 - 01:41, said:

I did not KNOW A THING about this game when I started, but even so, I could see that 20K Credits per crew member for a 75% crew over a 50% crew was a really good deal.

When I decide to grind a new line (not many low tiers  left, I havent played) I just use an experienced crew from another tank without retraining them. If Im going to play a low tier tank for a dozen battles or less, I just save the credits. A 50 to 75 percent crew with 2 or 3 other operational perks is acceptable for the short term, for my needs.

Also tagged with low, tier, game, play, blows

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users