Equipment Directives Consumables

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

forneus_1 #1 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 19:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2300 battles
  • [TBBS] TBBS
Understanding that it can vary from tank to tank, I'm curious what you think the best setup is for each type of tank:  Light, medium, Heavy, TD & SPG.  With regards to Equipment, Directives, Consumables...  Thanks in advance.

AndrewSledge #2 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 38781 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks has suggested equipment at the bottom of each page for each tank.

Generally:

Vertical Stabilizers are always better than Gun-laying drives, and if you can mount a Vertical stablizer, mount it

Coated optics are must-haves for Lights and Mediums

Spall liners are mostly useless

Vents and rammers are often used

For new players, get a pair of binocs and a camo net first of all, and move them from vehicle to vehicle, because the demounting cost is free. After that, and as you build up your credits reserves, you can start buying vents for your tanks. Don't worry about the other stuff until you have a good set of credits, because a full set of equipment is quite expensive.

Consumables: Small repair kit, Small first aid kit, Auto Fire extinguisher

Directives: Don't use them unless you get them for free, as a new player, you can't afford them. The Sixth sense directive is good to use if you have a commander without it.

Edited by AndrewSledge, Dec 31 2019 - 19:25.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #3 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 20:13

Captain

• Players
  • 31594 battles

Yes too many different setups to mention becase so many tanks are different but vents and rammer are pretty much good on any tank.

lights - I rarely ever use camo net on lights too, Binocs vents and rammer if possible for lights. 

Meds - coated optics rammer and vents

Heavy - vents and rammer, if its slow put a spall liner on it. If its fast I put binocs vents and rammer, except for Obj 277 I also put a spall liner on that too.

This is just general info because sometimes its better to put a v-stab in place of binocs on slow aiming heavys.

Good luck and some unicum might chime in and have a better setup but this is generally how I equip my sheet.

Edited by Harvester_0f_Sorrow, Dec 31 2019 - 20:13.

HOTA_CHATON #4 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 20:13

Major

• Players
  • 14453 battles
  • [-BAT-] -BAT-
Spall liners are great on superheavy tanks as they do offer quite a bit of protection from explosions, ramming, etc where and when your crew may suffer.  It does offer just that little bit extra, at times, but not always.

death_stryker #5 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 20:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4576 battles

View PostAndrewSledge, on Dec 31 2019 - 11:22, said:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks has suggested equipment at the bottom of each page for each tank.

Generally:

Vertical Stabilizers are always better than Gun-laying drives, and if you can mount a Vertical stablizer, mount it

Coated optics are must-haves for Lights and Mediums

Spall liners are mostly useless

Vents and rammers are often used

For new players, get a pair of binocs and a camo net first of all, and move them from vehicle to vehicle, because the demounting cost is free. After that, and as you build up your credits reserves, you can start buying vents for your tanks. Don't worry about the other stuff until you have a good set of credits, because a full set of equipment is quite expensive.

Consumables: Small repair kit, Small first aid kit, Auto Fire extinguisher

Directives: Don't use them unless you get them for free, as a new player, you can't afford them. The Sixth sense directive is good to use if you have a commander without it.

^This is all you need to know for now. However, take any advice from the official wiki with many grains of salt. A lot of the info on there is way out of date, and the "player opinions" sections seem to be written by some decidedly mediocre player(s). Ironically, a random forum thread is often more reliable.

I would say not to use Directives at all for now, especially the Sixth Sense directive, because as a new player you will quickly run out of them, and you don't want them to become a necessary crutch for you.

Even more generally than what AndrewSledge said, the ideal equipment setups are almost always some combination of Vertical Stabilizers, Gun Rammer, Improved Ventilation and Coated Optics. You can only mount three pieces of equipment, so depending on the tank you pick the best three out of the four.

As a new player, though, you should save some credits by running Binoculars and Camo Net as AndrewSledge said, with your (optional) third piece of equipment being Gun Rammer.

Don't worry about Large/Premium Consumables for now, they are way too expensive to be worth it for most players, not just new players. (Edit: Except for Automatic Fire Extinguisher, do use that one if you aren't completely broke, because it effectively costs the same as or less than a Small Consumable.)

Edited by death_stryker, Dec 31 2019 - 20:39.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 20:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

For me and In General: [note; the either or cased by a / is a one or the other situation and in the case of GLD/VStab ALWAYS take the VStab, though be warned that many tanks cannot mount them]

LTs:  Rammer, GLD/Vstab, Optics.  On occasion and on SLOW LTs, Rammer, GLD/VStab, Binocs.  The first setup is more of an Active Scout, Harasser.  The second setup is more of a Passive Scout/Spotter (due to being slow)

MEDs:  Rammer, GLD/VStab, Optics/Vents.  Depending on VR and overall speed of the unit, I might go Vents for an overall performance boost or stick with Optics and be a Flexer/Spotter more than a Support to HVY units.

HVYs: Rammer, GLD/Vstab, Optics/Vents.  Again, depending on how good the initial VR and speed of the tank, I may or may not elect to place Optics over Vents.  Again, it's the difference in the tank's overall characteristics.  If it is quite simply a Face Punching Brawler, I'll probably go with the Vents if it has enough speed to get to a decent forward First Position. Otherwise, the further you can see the sooner you can shoot and if you're a slow tank, most of the spotting is already being done for you, so Vents might improve your overall speed to the battle.

TDs: Vents/Binos, Rammer, GLD (I don't think any TDs get VStabs).  In other cases it might be: Net, Rammer, GLD and sometimes I would go with Net, Binos and Rammer while dealing with the accuracy of the gun without modification by modules.

SPGs: Vents (When you can get them, a few closed case SPGs out there and you should install Vents on them if you have one, imo), Rammer, GLD.  If you can't use Vents (open topped) then Net.  There is no good reason overall to use Optics or Binos on an SPG, your team is spotting for you, so it's best to improve your aim time, load time and concealment overall.

Of course, there are exceptions to those ideals, all of which depend on the individual performance characteristics of the specific unit in question.  I have not used: Spall Liners at all, ever.  It seems a waste of overall performance, because they add weight to the vehicle and that always slows it down.  If you were an arty magnet before adding a Spall Liner, you just gave most SPGs one more shot at you.  Even though the Spall Liner helps reduce HE damage, making your tank slower to get into cover is less effective than making it faster to get into cover.

I have also used: Enhanced Suspension on some LTs in order to be able to land harder and take more track pounding, while increasing it's ability to move across rough terrain more smoothly.  As an active scout in some tanks, this can mean the difference between having to take a small dropoff and HOPE you don't bust or drop a track versus the ability to shoot over that ledge at full speed and keep on going without a hitch.  Again, this is situational.

I have also tried, Improved Grousers and they do help your traverse times and reduces the ground resistance on soft ground, which is nice for slower moving, casemate TDs.  The Grousers CAN help you clutch brake turn by improving your overall ground speed on soft terrain.  I can't tell if they help you on cobblestones, but it's mostly moot as cobblestone is somewhat 'slippery' to tank treads past 10 kph and Clutch Braking on streets is pretty easy on the whole.

Consumables:  Tiers I -- IV: Small 1st Aid, Small Repair, Manual Fire Extinguisher.  At those tiers a 20K consumable is ridiculous to use.  You may be lucky to make your credits back on the expense of one Large Kit or Auto Fire Extinguisher use alone.  Imagine using all three in a match where you might expect, on a really good game, to make around 14K credits.  That's a recipe for going broke and the entire tank's repair cost is less than a single Large (or Premium Consumable) at those tiers.  No food, nothing fancy like a Removed Speed Governor or anything beyond the Small Kits and MFE.  They are just NOT cost effective at those tiers.  

Credit management is a thing.

Tier V and up:  Large 1st Aid Kit, Large Repair Kit, AFE in most cases.  As I do not buy Consumables except when on sale and I do not buy Food Consumables at all, I have PLENTY of those Large Kits and AFEs.  I use Food that I win, along with any other premium stuff like Lend Lease Oil, Removed Speed Governor, CO2, etc.  Mostly, though I just stick with the large versions of what I use on lower tier tanks.  I think the only real advantage from the other consumables would be the Food Consumables and I use those when I am close to getting a gun mark or need that extra bit of 'oomph' for a few matches to win a cool prize during an event.

I do not use Bonds or Directives, though only because I am not a good enough player, in my view, to really maximize their benefit and I don't have enough of either to get habituated to using them.  If I did and they ran out on me, I might realize I have come to rely on them too heavily and now would feel 'gimped.'  I would use them, again, if I were close to gun marking a tank or if I felt I would benefit from that bit of extra 'oomph' to my tank's/crew's performance to achieve a reward from a mission that I found extra difficult or a bit too grindy, which usually is not an issue for me.

Hope you find that useful or helpful.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Dec 31 2019 - 20:57.

Mikosah #7 Posted Dec 31 2019 - 22:44

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

Rammer is the single highest priority item for any tank that can fit one. Autoloaders that can't use rammers can substitute something else, but if you can mount a rammer then you should. 

Stabilizer follows the same rules- if a given tank can mount it then it ought to (few exceptions exist). If not, vents or the laying drive are the typical alternatives.

Optics are a little more complicated. As a rule they should be used with the previous two across the board, though if they are insufficient (ending up with a view range of 445m is typically considered effective) then binoculars should be used instead. For particular tanks that aren't expected to spot at all, the camo net is the other alternative. 

forneus_1 #8 Posted Jan 01 2020 - 18:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2300 battles
  • [TBBS] TBBS

Thanks for all the great replies.  The detail is more than I could have hoped for.  Really helps allot.  Happy New Year.

forneus_1 #9 Posted Jan 01 2020 - 18:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2300 battles
  • [TBBS] TBBS
Thanks for all the great replies.  The detail is more than I could have hoped for.  Really helps allot.  Happy New Year.

Also tagged with Equipment, Directives, Consumables

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users