Jump to content


Crew Skills - Establishing Priority and Optimal Skills Ranking

crew skills optimal skills priority skills

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

zippyz1 #1 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 07:11

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 26359 battles
  • 39
  • [VIDRA] VIDRA
  • Member since:
    09-21-2011
How would one prioritize the skills for each crew member? Like what is the 1st skill one should train for the commander, gunner, etc? For the commander, I can't decide if Mentor tops Sixth Sense or Eagle Eye or what. I'm guessing a TD would prefer 6th Sense, right? I know selecting the skills is an art, but I would love to have someone spoon-feed me this info. I did some searching, but there seems to be a whole lot of discussion on this without a nice chart showing the priority skills recommended for the crews. Some advie/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I_QQ_4_U #2 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 07:26

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25211 battles
  • 8,940
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

 All crew. Heavy tanks and assault TD's repairs first and foremost, convert to 6th on the commander and retrain. Lights and paper TD's camo, convert to 6th on the commander and retrain. When it comes to meds it depends on how they're played. Anything that's going to be in your face all the time I go repairs first, anything doing a lot of sniping camo but you're gong to want both asap.  After a third skill you can convert repairs and/or camo to BIA and retrain.

 

After that VR skills on the commander, SA first if they double as the R/O, recon otherwise. Mentor is pretty much worthless and eagle eye is something you get after all the important stuff.

 

Gunner. Snap shot. Dead Eye is way down the list UNLESS it's an autoloader then I might get it earlier, just remember it doesn't work with HE.

 

Driver. Offroad Driving. Clutch Breaking if the tank has bad hull traverse or a casement TD. Smooth Ride, especially on fast meds and lights.

 

R/O Situational Awarness.

 

Loader. Safe stowage, convert repairs or camo and retrain.

 


Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Jan 03 2020 - 07:28.


Manimal__ #3 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 07:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 43674 battles
  • 3,747
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View Postzippyz1, on Jan 02 2020 - 22:11, said:

How would one prioritize the skills for each crew member? Like what is the 1st skill one should train for the commander, gunner, etc? For the commander, I can't decide if Mentor tops Sixth Sense or Eagle Eye or what. I'm guessing a TD would prefer 6th Sense, right? I know selecting the skills is an art, but I would love to have someone spoon-feed me this info. I did some searching, but there seems to be a whole lot of discussion on this without a nice chart showing the priority skills recommended for the crews. Some advie/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

 

I would suggest prioritizing the need for each crew member per tank need.. eg. Repair for all members of a slow TD or Camo for light tanks. 6th sense is great however is completely useless till you get 100%. For example, training a commander with repair will at least give you repair skill no mater what the % is. Then when you hit 100% on repair, retrain to 6th sense with a bit of gold. Same idea with BIA.

 

 

My standard perk set up for heavies

 

Commander - BIA, Sixth sense, repair, fire, recon, camo

 

Driver - BIA, repair, fire, Clutch, off Road, camo, prevent

 

Gunner - BIA, repair, fire, snap, smooth, camo, designate

 

Loader - BIA, repair, fire, camo, Safe stowage

 

Radio - BIA, repair, fire, Situational, camo,

 

Lights

 

Commander - BIA, Sixth sense, recon, camo repair, fire

 

Driver - BIA, camo, repair, fire, Clutch, off Road, prevent

 

Gunner - BIA, camo, designate, repair, fire, snap, smooth,,

 

Loader - BIA, camo, repair, fire, Safe stowage

 

Radio - BIA, camo, Situational, repair, fire,

 

 

 

 



coconut2011 #4 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 07:34

    Captain

  • Players
  • 67991 battles
  • 1,940
  • [AWOO] AWOO
  • Member since:
    08-09-2011

For commander, 6th sense should always be the 1st perk.  This is true even for arties.  There are many uses of 6th sense that it is the most important skill / perk in the game.  If you have gold to retrain, people generally starts out with repair skill on the commander, and once reached 100%, use gold to retrain to 6th sense.  For commanders, Recon is also quite useful.  So the minimum skills for commanders are 6th sense, BIA, Recon.  If the commander is also the radioman, then it is 6th sense, BIA, Situational Awareness and Recon (Recon last).

 

If the commander is not the radioman, then whoever has the radio role should have situational awareness as the 1st skill.

 

For other crews, the priorities can vary.  Light tanks and sniping TDs should have camo, while frontal assault TDs and possibly heavies need to have repairs first.  Then, you can consider BIA as the 2nd skill.

 

It should be noted that gold retrain can be prohibitively expensive when you have a lot of tanks.  I have hundreds of tanks in garage.  So, I normally just pre-plan the set of skills / perks and never does the retraining.  Premium tanks are quite useful.  Crew books are quite useful as well.

 



zippyz1 #5 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 08:35

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 26359 battles
  • 39
  • [VIDRA] VIDRA
  • Member since:
    09-21-2011
Thanks for all the invaluable advice!

The_Pushok #6 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 08:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 18140 battles
  • 1,558
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT
  • Member since:
    08-23-2015

In general, for commander I do 6th sense first, then BIA, while rest of crew BIA first. Except for arty, BIA for commander first.

 

I just cannot get use to not having 6th sense. Heavy and arty not so bad, but a light, medium, and especially a sniping TD, it just seems critical.

 

After those skills, tank dependent. Camo for TDs and lights for example, repair for heavies.



The_Shamus #7 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 13:43

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15208 battles
  • 214
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS
  • Member since:
    11-23-2012

View Postcoconut2011, on Jan 03 2020 - 01:34, said:

It should be noted that gold retrain can be prohibitively expensive when you have a lot of tanks.  I have hundreds of tanks in garage.  So, I normally just pre-plan the set of skills / perks and never does the retraining.  Premium tanks are quite useful.  Crew books are quite useful as well.

 

I would add to the pre-planning that crew skill reset gold discounts do occur they're just hard to plan for since they're not announced much in advance. But you certainly want to take advantage of a sale when they occur



Cloud_1 #8 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 14:00

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 37241 battles
  • 184
  • [S0R] S0R
  • Member since:
    04-05-2014

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Jan 03 2020 - 01:26, said:

 All crew. Heavy tanks and assault TD's repairs first and foremost, convert to 6th on the commander and retrain. Lights and paper TD's camo, convert to 6th on the commander and retrain. When it comes to meds it depends on how they're played. Anything that's going to be in your face all the time I go repairs first, anything doing a lot of sniping camo but you're gong to want both asap.  After a third skill you can convert repairs and/or camo to BIA and retrain.

 

After that VR skills on the commander, SA first if they double as the R/O, recon otherwise. Mentor is pretty much worthless and eagle eye is something you get after all the important stuff.

 

Gunner. Snap shot. Dead Eye is way down the list UNLESS it's an autoloader then I might get it earlier, just remember it doesn't work with HE.

 

Driver. Offroad Driving. Clutch Breaking if the tank has bad hull traverse or a casement TD. Smooth Ride, especially on fast meds and lights.

 

R/O Situational Awarness.

 

Loader. Safe stowage, convert repairs or camo and retrain.

 

I would kindly suggest after you get full BIA, the commander should be 6th , the gunner snap shot, the driver smooth ride, the RO sit. awareness, and the loader adrenaline, as besides the holy trio ( repairs,camo,bia) these work the best and can show a gameplay difference.

Respectfully

Cloud_1

 

FYI i am too lazy to switch out skills, so i train BIA first and fill the rest in from there



InquisitorSomme #9 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 14:14

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 3248 battles
  • 533
  • Member since:
    06-16-2016

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sixth Sense? 

 

I've never trained my Commanders with it. That three second delay pretty much defeats the purpose of having it. Always assume that you're spotted and paying attention to the enemy tank behavior... 

 

 



TRK213_Turkey #10 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 14:26

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 6408 battles
  • 810
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    01-02-2017

View PostInquisitorSomme, on Jan 03 2020 - 14:14, said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sixth Sense? 

 

I've never trained my Commanders with it. That three second delay pretty much defeats the purpose of having it. Always assume that you're spotted and paying attention to the enemy tank behavior... 

 

 

To me 6th sense is the most important skill for the commander.  You can poke out of cover and back real quick, wait three seconds, and if 6th doesn't go off then no one was spotting you.  That is useful information even if your tank doesn't have good spotting.



I_QQ_4_U #11 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 14:40

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25211 battles
  • 8,940
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostInquisitorSomme, on Jan 03 2020 - 14:14, said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sixth Sense? 

 

I've never trained my Commanders with it. That three second delay pretty much defeats the purpose of having it. Always assume that you're spotted and paying attention to the enemy tank behavior... 

 

 

 

 

The only class I wouldn't prioritize it on are SPG's but I'd still get asap since it comes in super handy at the beginning of the game, especially with AC's now, to know if you're spotted so that you can relocate to avoid CB.



coconut2011 #12 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 20:02

    Captain

  • Players
  • 67991 battles
  • 1,940
  • [AWOO] AWOO
  • Member since:
    08-09-2011

View PostInquisitorSomme, on Jan 03 2020 - 05:14, said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sixth Sense? 

 

I've never trained my Commanders with it. That three second delay pretty much defeats the purpose of having it. Always assume that you're spotted and paying attention to the enemy tank behavior... 

 

 

 

6th sense is a critical part of the vision game.  3 seconds is better than nothing.  Many tanks would take 3+ seconds to turn and aim, unless they pre-aim.  So you can still have time to pull back in most cases.

 

Also, if you move out of hard cover and immediately move back.  Then check if your 6th sense goes off.  You can use this approach to check if any enemy is still watching you.  If you are skilled enough, you can poke out at different angles, to figure out roughly where the enemy is.  I have many games where I then proceed to blind shot the potential bush and scored some hits and even kills.

 

Even for SPG, I would have 6th as the first skill on commander.  You can always have paint and camo net to help with the camo, but not knowing you are spotted can lead to quick deaths.  Most arties are quite big, so even with camo skill is not going to help much.  Using terrain / hard cover / soft cover / map awareness + reposition are more important approaches hiding arties.



MiddleAgedNoob #13 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 20:19

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 20844 battles
  • 832
  • [MARV] MARV
  • Member since:
    10-29-2016

View Postcoconut2011, on Jan 03 2020 - 14:02, said:

 

Also, if you move out of hard cover and immediately move back.  Then check if your 6th sense goes off.  You can use this approach to check if any enemy is still watching you.  If you are skilled enough, you can poke out at different angles, to figure out roughly where the enemy is.  I have many games where I then proceed to blind shot the potential bush and scored some hits and even kills.

 

Skill will fire at random and pull back, to see if firing gets him lit.

 

GLHF



hardicon #14 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 21:30

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 56953 battles
  • 5,709
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
  • Member since:
    07-03-2010
My priority for each tank i play is sixth sense first, repairs for heavy and mediums, camo for lights and tank destoyers that have good camo value.  other tds repair.  Second skill for mediums is camo, repairs for lights and good camo tds.  Second skill for heavies varies but i generally take good gun handling stuff or brothers in arms.  3rd skill is always brothers in arms no matter what if i dont already have it.  fourth is firefighting so i can use food if i want/need to.  After that just get what you want to make your tank better.  Some people like the idea of retraining crews for gold, i dont do that, i know it is more efficient but i do my best not to give wargaming more money than i have to.  But if that is the way you wish to go then that is fine. 

cheapbooks #15 Posted Jan 03 2020 - 22:39

    Captain

  • Players
  • 41376 battles
  • 1,394
  • [CBKS] CBKS
  • Member since:
    08-21-2013

View PostInquisitorSomme, on Jan 03 2020 - 14:14, said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Sixth Sense? 

 

I've never trained my Commanders with it. That three second delay pretty much defeats the purpose of having it. Always assume that you're spotted and paying attention to the enemy tank behavior... 

 

 

 

I am removing 6th sense from tanks, such as wheeled vehicles and tier 8 tanks (for frontline).







Also tagged with crew skills, optimal skills, priority skills

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users