How do I get my ping lower?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

jrchappe #1 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10994 battles
Hi all, on many maps my ping hovers around 150-170, which is fine for playing online.  But on other maps, it jumps up to 300-400 and the game is basically unplayable.  Do you all have any tips on how to reduce my ping, or what makes it go so high?  Thanks for any input!

Panther2NZ #2 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10123 battles
probably little you can do really...

js23 #3 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:39

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 10232 battles
are you useing any web browsers or other programs that use internet, otherwise else it could be lag spikes like ive been getting

FreeFOXMIKE #4 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 17083 battles
  • [23RDB] 23RDB
make sure all your "background" program's are turned off.

shynsly #5 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14551 battles
I'm not a computer whiz, so I'm not sure if there is a way to actively get your ping lower, but I have noticed mine also seems to be spiking quite a bit since the 6.7 patch.

I live in a rural area using wireless broadband that typically averages 4-6 meg, so I don't expect an amazing ping, but I generally hover around 130 when all is well. Lately, it's been all over the place, sometimes it will actually come down to 120 or below, but in that same battle I will usually get a "spike" where the ping jumps to 999 and the game freezes for a moment, then comes back online and ping returns to the typical 130-145.

During the day yesterday it seemed to be working fine, but last night was particularly bad, most of my battles would start at over 300 when the clock hit zero, and then gradually creep down to around 190-200. On top of that, I kept getting the "memory low" error, not sure why, I thought they had fixed that.

It may be something on your end or a problem with the servers (again), I'm curious as to how many other people are having issues like this, and if they are new since the 6.7 patch, when my issues seem to have began.

jrchappe #6 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10994 battles

View Postjs23, on Sep 26 2011 - 17:39, said:

are you useing any web browsers or other programs that use internet, otherwise else it could be lag spikes like ive been getting

----------

no, i make sure to have everything else closed out so there's no interference from any other programs.  someone else suggested getting a faster connection, but i really don't want to have to pay more monthly just for that sole reason, know what i mean?

Ackshun #7 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 17:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5818 battles
New ISP or move closer the the servers is all you can really do lol

jrchappe #8 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 18:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10994 battles

View PostAckshun, on Sep 26 2011 - 17:52, said:

New ISP or move closer the the servers is all you can really do lol

^^^^

sweeeeet...  :)

tunaboo #9 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 20:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 5095 battles
Using a wire over wifi can easily shave 100ms off your time. Plug right into your cable/dsl modem.

andyraptor #10 Posted Sep 26 2011 - 22:56

Major

• Players
  • 32980 battles
  • [BE] BE

View Posttunaboo, on Sep 26 2011 - 20:37, said:

Using a wire over wifi can easily shave 100ms off your time. Plug right into your cable/dsl modem.

Apart from this ..... nothing in your own locale

Ping.... basically the time for data to travel to the server and back again

You can try it out at this site

http://speedtest.net/

Try pinging different servers at different distances away ( It's also useful for checking that your ISP is supplying the service that you are paying for ! :))

Upload and download speed will make no difference at all... so don't waste time and money changing ISP etc.. trust me :)

As already mentioned ... the only thing you can do is ...... pack up everything and move next door to the server building :)

jrchappe #11 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 02:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10994 battles

View Postandyraptor, on Sep 26 2011 - 22:56, said:

Apart from this ..... nothing in your own locale

Ping.... basically the time for data to travel to the server and back again

You can try it out at this site

http://speedtest.net/

Try pinging different servers at different distances away ( It's also useful for checking that your ISP is supplying the service that you are paying for ! :))

Upload and download speed will make no difference at all... so don't waste time and money changing ISP etc.. trust me :)

As already mentioned ... the only thing you can do is ...... pack up everything and move next door to the server building :)

^^^^^^^^^

do i have the ability to select which server i am playing from??

DrewTheSchu #12 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 08:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10699 battles
Move to Charlotte, NC.  20ms average ping on hardwire, 40ms average ping on wireless  :Smile_great:

andyraptor #13 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 11:02

Major

• Players
  • 32980 battles
  • [BE] BE

View Postjrchappe, on Sep 27 2011 - 02:02, said:

^^^^^^^^^

do i have the ability to select which server i am playing from??

If your US based and playing on the NA Server .... it's based below :)

So in short... No.

View PostDrewTheSchu, on Sep 27 2011 - 08:56, said:

Move to Charlotte, NC.  20ms average ping on hardwire, 40ms average ping on wireless  :Smile_great:

You may have been confused with the reference in my previous reply about pinging different servers. This is purely connected with the test site link I gave.

BrooklynBoy #14 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 11:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5221 battles
  • [PVP4] PVP4
The truth is, go to the place where the server is, e.g. in the US. Or talk to the YouTube user on your network and tell him to stop using YouTube.

Swamper #15 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 19:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 2749 battles
First the usual suspects.

• Update the OS, drivers, and firmware (worth checking for BIOS updates also)
  • Update and run AV and malware removal tools
  • Clean up system - defrag, whatever
  • Disable unneeded windows services (like indexing)

Use Windows task manager to monitor network activity to and from your machine and check for other running apps.  Many programs phone home in the background all the time for updates, p2p, etc. Open task manager and click the network tab and watch the graph for a bit. If you see traffic there when you are doing nothing else then check the programs in your task bar.  Check the settings on those programs for "run at windows startup" and disable if not needed all the time. Check your AV for scheduled scans and play around that time- it might have to DL an update right when your battle starts.  Plus an AV scan can put a ding in your FPS if your machine isn't more than a little robust.

Check your local network.

Look at your router activity lights.  Are they blinking like crazy when your machine is off?  Are there are other users on your network?

It is best to f2f with other users and mitigate impact on WoT by bandwidth hogs like netflix, youtube, webcams, downloads, etc.  Otherwise you need to have access to your router to prioritize packets.  For instance set all traffic from the WoT server IP to high priority.  Some routers don't support this and its a little technical so again try the f2f thing if thats the case.  

You can dig into the network traffic

Check your router logs and status.
If you are technically inclined, utilities like Wireshark will show you every packet on the network but you have to understand it. Try it for free here

Wireshark.org

If you have to connect over wifi then there are also several utilities that show you where your best signal is.  Sometimes it is surprising and worth a quick survey.  For instance, right under an antennae can be worse than fifty feet away. Change the antenna orientation or move your seat.  To be honest I wouldn't even attempt WoT over wifi knowing the additional overhead and latency issues it brings to the connection.

And if you're playing at work. It might be the IT dept so you may just need an UCG or two.

Hope this helps.

SeanPwnery #16 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 19:25

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 25907 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
As far as I know, this game uses p2p for connectivity (kind of like IW-net did for MW2) but connects to the server for the matchmaker, so part of it may have to do with who you're connected to.

Background programs was a good suggestion - make sure nothing is leeching your bandwidth.

Having a dedicated NPU helps - my G1 Sniper mobo has the Killer Networks E2100 NIC which has it's own NPU and a gig of dedicated ram to free up the load on your northbridge and CPU. That card is available in PCI or PCI-E, but at a premium.

Sounds strange, but the latest video card drivers help just because the post-processing sometimes gets in the way. Before I updated this, I'd have an occasional round where it'd skyrocket past 600ms, or lock up in sniper-view. New drivers killed both of these issues.

If you're running DSL, make sure you have line conditioner on every jack in the house regardless of if something is connected to it or not.

If you're running cable, in a neighborhood that has a lot of subscribers, there's not a whole lot you can do about this on peak-hours of television. Faster bandwidth packages help, but obviously come at a premium to you.

Wireless? Well... don't. Most wireless routers still have ports, use a cable.

Shared network? See what anyone else on it might be doing, and plan/play accordingly. If you have family members on another machine YouTubing it up, or a sibling torrenting it up... well... obvious lag. Maybe you can throttle the bandwidth for certain applications via your router's settings to specific MAC addresses.

That's all I've got for ya. Good luck.  :Smile_honoring:

Beast9156 #17 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 19:44

Private

• Players
  • 1437 battles
  • [SOT] SOT
Get faster internet.

Devorre #18 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 21:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 11033 battles
Make sure you are not hosting out the game torrent.  After every patch, this option is enabled.

When you first launch the game,before you ever sign in,  in the upper right corner is an icon of a wrench.  Click the wrench and take the check out of the torrent setting.

Swamper #19 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 22:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 2749 battles

View PostDevorre, on Sep 27 2011 - 21:04, said:

Make sure you are not hosting out the game torrent.  After every patch, this option is enabled.

Yes.  I forgot all about that.  Pando Media Booster.  Uninstalled it a while back.

Drakenred #20 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 02:50

Captain

• Players
  • 12402 battles
and try rebooting your router and or modem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users