Folks, its not MM or Players, its the game is unbalanced

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

hardicon #1 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56387 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

I keep seeing these posts pop up about sbmm, bad teams etc. being blamed for loss streaks and bad gameplay.  Well while some of those are probably true, fixing any of that wont fix the main problem with the game and that is the game is unbalanced. 

Just look at their balance philosophy from start to finish.  Premium tanks at the start were meant to be worse than their tier 8 counterparts but they earned tons of credits and they got a bit better matchmaking than normal tanks.  The Lowe, Type 59, Kv5 and IS6 were the original premiums and they were all just a bit worse than their tech tree counterparts.  KV5 and IS6 got preferred matchmaking and the other two got favorable matchmaking.  Remember matchmaking back then tanks were given a weight and matched accordingly and the Lowe and Type were matched like tier 7.5 tanks so they were top tier more often.  Then the philosophy changed and they changed matchmaker so now all tier 8s are the same and they all see the same matchmaker except for the preferred tanks, so since they had to sell the tanks for real money and noone was going to buy a tank with real money that would lose all the time they had to make them even to their tech tree counterparts and for a while there were making them just flat out better.  Defender, Centurion 5/1, Chrysler K, etc.  Now it seems they are back to making them just as good as the normal tech tree tanks. 

Now lets go to tech tree tanks.  The original lines were T30, IS7 and Maus.  They were the only tier tens in the game.  Mediums only went to tier nine, tds went to nine and arty to 8.  Game was fairly balanced, IS7 was still a bit more powerful than the other two but not by much.  A Maus in a good position was virtually unkillable because gold rounds were not really used that often because they cost real money.  New tank lines started coming out and power creep began because why work up a new tank line just to play a tank that was the same as what you already had.  So higher alpha guns were brought into the game, E100, Jagpanzer E100, all the 750 damage tds, autoloader, reverse autoloaders, the two British Fv abomination tds etc.  It used to be a joke on the forums that wargaming made the new lines more powerful to get people to free exp and buy the newest line by spending tons of money on gold to convert xp.  People would spend up to 200 dollars on gold to get the tier ten on day 1 when noone really knew how to fight it to make the WN8 go higher.  Also Wn8 would lower the values on the new tanks because noone knew how much damage was expected of them so the power players would get a higher wn8 from those tanks until more people got them and evened out the stats some.  Then came the Russian rebalance which basically meant every new Russian tank just has to be better than every other nation.  Object 705A, 268V4, well hell any Russian tank with an object in front.

Lastly gold rounds.  Gold rounds, premium rounds, special ammo, no skill rounds, skill rounds, whatever you want to call them are the biggest reason the game is unbalanced.  Gold rounds allow you to just flat out pen any nation other than Russian with ease anywhere.  There dont need to be weakspots because the whole tank is a weak spot.  German tanks the biggest weakspot is the turret, Russian tanks their turrets are made out of bounceonium for the most part, the hatches are super small and hard to hit whereas every other nation is not.  Hopefully some of this changes in the next few patches, it finally seems like Wargaming either fired the person that balances the tanks or at the very least someone higher up than that person is now calling the shots because premium tanks are now more balanced and any new tech tree lines dont seem to be so overpowered.  

So before you cry about bad teams, bad mm or anything of the sort, just remember those are symptoms of the disease.  The disease is just an unbalanced game. 

Cerbium #2 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:10

Captain

• Players
  • 19663 battles
  • [GACHI] GACHI
i member 

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:17

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

I emailed this guy and he balanced WoT for me without even coming to my house... he did it over the inter-webs in less than a day.

Bad_Oedipus #4 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 47292 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

I've noticed that MM is trying to mirror teams tanks wise...most of the time.

Skill is a random factor, though better team doesn't always win, especially when blues and purples rush out to get Raseiniai Heroes Medal... one at a time.

MagillaGuerilla #5 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 26031 battles
The basic design of the game is unbalanced. Multi-tier battles with any tank, no matter the class, having the ability to kill any other tank, means that the game will always be impossible to balance perfectly. They want it that way, because constant buffing, nerfing, and tweaking, is job security for software engineers.

cloudwalkr #6 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

It's what I've been saying for a few years now.

Games are over so quickly now and so one sided because of the sht WG design path they've taken.  In terms of game quality of life WG could give 2shts for it.  They are only concerned with power creep money grabs and OP premiums.

Game is in dire need of new developers, not SBMM.

Do not expect WG to change but only double down from here on.

Edited by cloudwalkr, Jan 09 2020 - 19:27.

AESOP_Retired #7 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33523 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

ahhh................ I remember when the type 59 came out and bought it day 2-3  after release........it was OP beyond OP hence the 3 nerfs it took  

You were unlucky if u ever saw a tier 9 you were almost always top tier and man a platoon of 59"s could just tear though the other team.  

_tar #8 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32492 battles
Is there any actual proof (beyond hazy and biased memories) that games are more one-sided, and quicker, than in the past?  

HOTA_CHATON #9 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:52

Major

• Players
  • 13887 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE

View PostBad_Oedipus, on Jan 09 2020 - 12:18, said:

Skill is a random factor, though better team doesn't always win, especially when blues and purples rush out to get Raseiniai Heroes Medal... one at a time.

Player skill does not figure into it at all.

HOTA_CHATON #10 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:52

Major

• Players
  • 13887 battles
  • [BIBLE] BIBLE

View Post_tar, on Jan 09 2020 - 12:41, said:

Is there any actual proof (beyond hazy and biased memories) that games are more one-sided, and quicker, than in the past?  

No but, they are beginning to get more and more frequent, just like last time.

hardicon #11 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56387 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Jan 09 2020 - 19:22, said:

The basic design of the game is unbalanced. Multi-tier battles with any tank, no matter the class, having the ability to kill any other tank, means that the game will always be impossible to balance perfectly. They want it that way, because constant buffing, nerfing, and tweaking, is job security for software engineers.

True but there are things they can do to make things more balanced.  The game will always have balance issues, every game does, look at world of warcraft, 15 years and still not balanced but every class is nearly equal now with some outliers that normally get changed pretty quick.  Sometimes it will depend on team composition, and skill level of the players but more often than not now the team that wins is whoever has more russian tanks.

NeatoMan #12 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 19:59

Major

• Players
  • 28785 battles

View Post_tar, on Jan 09 2020 - 13:41, said:

I've been keeping track of my games since patch 8.0, and mine haven't changed very much since then.  

Overall, I get more blowouts, most of which I can attribute to playing higher tiers (blowouts have always been higher in the upper tiers).  Tier for tier it's just slightly more, with tier 10 showing the biggest increase since then (~7% increase).  The rest are just 1 or 2% higher.

I kept track of battle duration starting with patch 9.13, and my battle durations (tier for tier) have actually gotten longer since then, by at least 30sec on average.

so I'm not seeing what they are claiming

MagillaGuerilla #13 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 20:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 26031 battles

View Posthardicon, on Jan 09 2020 - 19:53, said:

True but there are things they can do to make things more balanced.  The game will always have balance issues, every game does, look at world of warcraft, 15 years and still not balanced but every class is nearly equal now with some outliers that normally get changed pretty quick.  Sometimes it will depend on team composition, and skill level of the players but more often than not now the team that wins is whoever has more russian tanks.

And then an Even 90 sneaks in and kills your Obj.wth. The game is absurd.

JakeTheMystic #14 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 20:24

Major

• Players
  • 25180 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostBad_Oedipus, on Jan 09 2020 - 09:18, said:

MM balances tank by type for a while now at least ensuring that the number of heavies, meds, tds, lights, arty, are equal on both sides. The problem is it often doesnt balance individual tanks so you have many games at tier 10 with one side having 3 chieftains and the other is stuck with type 5s and e100s.

PuddleSplasher #15 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 21:29

Major

• Players
  • 40051 battles

Here we go again!

@OP

I do not read unintellligible nonsence.

_73RD_Easting2NDACAV #16 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 21:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24193 battles
  • [FATED] FATED

Only when they take into account the players stats as had been done in testing will MM ever be fixed.

Worked great in testing 5-6 years ago, but it worked to well no seal clubbing.

I think since a few of the testers did not like that they had to play with players of equal ability's it went the way of the Dodo.

Claimed it made the game slow and stagnant. 

2MOEJOE #17 Posted Jan 09 2020 - 23:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4555 battles
The only imbalance in this game is the skill at the top tiers and that's WG's fault for dropping a few bad updates running half the player base off on the NA server.I don't see what the big deal is about tier VIII premium tanks I've tried every tier VIII medium they have come out with and I still do better in the tree tanks the 5/1 being one example.It's slug slow and doesn't auto pen same tier tanks like my Centurian 1 so I don't get the hype for that tank never have.As far as premium ammo saying there are no weak spots when it's utilized is absurd because I'm trying to 3 mark my Centurion right now and have nothing but APCR loaded and my damage count isn't that much higher you still have to aim lol.The only thing that will restore balance in this game is if the people who quit in mass came back and that's not happening and even if it did people would still whine wanting SBMM which is an absolutely moronic thought.

Anublister #18 Posted Jan 10 2020 - 00:01

Captain

• Players
  • 70660 battles
  • [--T--] --T--
I disagree with your premise.

FastForward7 #19 Posted Jan 10 2020 - 05:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11931 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Jan 09 2020 - 11:24, said:

MM balances tank by type for a while now at least ensuring that the number of heavies, meds, tds, lights, arty, are equal on both sides. The problem is it often doesnt balance individual tanks so you have many games at tier 10 with one side having 3 chieftains and the other is stuck with type 5s and e100s.

This. While WG ignores player skill completely, they also ignore tank capability. An E5 is the same as a 279 in the eyes of the WG MM. 'They're both a heavy tank, right? What's the problem? Working as intended™.'

U_Pay_4_a_Hacked_Game #20 Posted Jan 10 2020 - 19:01

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 20544 battles

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Jan 09 2020 - 18:22, said:

welcome to a game where devs and mods lie to players, so u pay on lies

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users