Is KV-5 still viable or am I better off getting a different T8 Prem?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

KGBNinja #1 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 17:59

Captain

• Players
  • 6036 battles

Many many moons ago I bought the KV-5. I had success with it until I once again decided I hated this game and took a 2 year break. I am playing it again 2 years later, and the KV-5 is rather appalling in performance. I have been hemorrhaging avg. Damage per battle and WR.  It is unarmored and simply doesn't seem to compete in really any situation except when you're top tier and bullying tier VI/VII tanks. 

Is this tank still viable or would it be better to get a new T8 Credit earner? 

Edited by KGBNinja, Jan 13 2020 - 18:00.

ez_money #2 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:05

Captain

• Players
  • 15941 battles
Get something else. These days the KV-5 is only a very pale shadow of what it used to be back in the day. I am actually going to try to trade mine in the next time WG has the premium tank trade-in event, along with some others I still have that have been left by the wayside over the years.

KGBNinja #3 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:07

Captain

• Players
  • 6036 battles

View Postez_money, on Jan 13 2020 - 11:05, said:

Get something else. These days the KV-5 is only a very pale shadow of what it used to be back in the day. I am actually going to try to trade mine in the next time WG has the premium tank trade-in event, along with some others I still have that have been left by the wayside over the years.

Trade in events? I didn't know that was a thing. What are some good heavy tank alternatives that would be more desirable than the KV-5? 

Almighty_Johnson #4 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 28284 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

The only attractive feature of the KV5 is Pref MM.  And that's tenuous at best.  It doesn't have the legendary troll armor it used to and the gun is decidedly underwhelming.

It was great for clubbing Tier 6's back in the day.

If you want a Heavy, the Lowe is solid, prints credits, and can hold its own against same tier and some 9's.

The Liberte (AMX M4 mle 49) is also not horrible, though not as flexible as the Lowe.

Defender or Obj 252U is a pretty troll HT

Purely as a credit earner, my favorite is still the Skorpion G.  It makes mad credits.  STRV S1, Somua, and Lorraine 40t also make good bank, but they are much harder to play (at least for me)

KGBNinja #5 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:15

Captain

• Players
  • 6036 battles

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Jan 13 2020 - 11:14, said:

The only attractive feature of the KV5 is Pref MM.  And that's tenuous at best.  It doesn't have the legendary troll armor it used to and the gun is decidedly underwhelming.

If you want a Heavy, the Lowe is solid, prints credits, and can hold its own against same tier and some 9's.

The Liberte (AMX M4 mle 49) is also not horrible, though not as flexible as the Lowe.

Purely as a credit earner, my favorite is still the Skorpion G.  It makes mad credits.  STRV S1, Somua, and Lorraine 40t also make good bank, but they are much harder to play (at least for me)

The Lowe?

Isn't this tank really bad or has it been buffed 

Silvers_ #6 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:33

Major

• Players
  • 50579 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostAlmighty_Johnson, on Jan 13 2020 - 11:14, said:

lmboTroll armor on the KV-5? Only if you suck at penning shots. The R2D2's were always an easy pen on that thing. If you want a Soviet heavy the defenders and 703II are good soviets, I prefer the Progetto and Lor 40t for credit grinding with the progetto being the main tank i play when grinding credits.

MagillaGuerilla #7 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 26031 battles

View PostKGBNinja, on Jan 13 2020 - 18:15, said:

The Lowe?

Isn't this tank really bad or has it been buffed 

The Lowe was buffed a little while ago, it's better now. The T26e5 and Caernarvon Ax are also decent support heavies.

ez_money #8 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 18:54

Captain

• Players
  • 15941 battles
Like others said, the Lowe is a viable heavy after the buff and it earns mad credits (like the JT 8.8 does). The Caern AX is a great all-around heavy, but you don't make a lot of silver from it. Don't know about how much they earn but the Defenders/252U's are pretty much the troll premium heavies these days.

KRZYBooP #9 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 19:45

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4308 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

View PostKGBNinja, on Jan 13 2020 - 10:59, said:

Many many moons ago I bought the KV-5. I had success with it until I once again decided I hated this game and took a 2 year break. I am playing it again 2 years later, and the KV-5 is rather appalling in performance. I have been hemorrhaging avg. Damage per battle and WR.  It is unarmored and simply doesn't seem to compete in really any situation except when you're top tier and bullying tier VI/VII tanks. 

Is this tank still viable or would it be better to get a new T8 Credit earner? 

The Kv-5 did receive a small buff recently when WG proposed removing premium MM. Premium MM wasn't taken away and instead the Premium MM tanks received smaller buffs. There are some situations where this tank isn't bad. I usually push with the mediums to increase the chances of bouncing Medium, and Light shots. 

However, the other recommendations that players mentioned above me are very good premium options. The Carn Ax is great at hill fighting with the spaced armor turret and the unassuming Lowe does pull it's weight. 

If you are interested in a sniper medium the Mutz is currently on sale. Click HERE for sales!

And if you would like another option for hill fighting the SuperPershing can be purchased by clicking HERE

ez_money #10 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 19:54

Captain

• Players
  • 15941 battles

View PostKGBNinja, on Jan 13 2020 - 11:07, said:

Trade in events? I didn't know that was a thing. What are some good heavy tank alternatives that would be more desirable than the KV-5? 

And to answer your question about trade-ins, see here:

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/trade-in-0119/

Gothraul #11 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 01:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 2639 battles
Premiums like the KV5 are garage ornaments are often not fit for regular play with some exceptions but yes the sLowe and M4 49 are decent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users