Way to control cheating without costing WG customers

cheating world of tanks fair play policy hacks suggestion feedback mods matchmaker

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Comrad_Pravda #1 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 21:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13003 battles

I had a great idea! Ok, I know you aren't going to admit this and I don't expect you to, but the cheating problem in World of Tanks is horrendously bad. Here is what you could do: Use the matchmaker to fix it in this way:

First of all WG needs to download the cheats, and use them for themselves for a while. Look at what sort of button combinations people end up using that are unique to a play-style that arises from using those cheats, then write an algorithm that looks for people who do those things, or press those button combinations excessively. If they do, have the server flag them as a cheater, but don't ban them. Instead, you are going to do something different...

I know wargaming doesn't want to ban cheaters because they want to to maximize player retention, so they want to keep the cheaters AND the non-cheaters. The problem is that if you don't ban the cheaters, non-cheaters quit out of frustration of having to deal with cheaters. If you ban the cheaters though, you lose the cheaters, and the bottom line is that less people playing the game equals less money which WG isn't ok with. Yes, cheaters still buy premium tanks after all.

Here is how you keep both types of players: If a person has been flagged by the server as a cheater, don't even bother to tell them about it. Telling them when they are caught is only going to help them develop better cheats that avoid detection. Instead, have the matchmaker ONLY put cheaters in matches where everyone else is also cheating. In other words, if a person is a cheater, the matchmaker will only match the cheater up with other people who have also been flagged for cheating.

You know how a matchmaker can section out people based on a rating where it will only queue you up with other people of similar ranking or skill level? Well in this case it would just be a boolean: If this person is flagged for cheating, they go into this pool of players to be queued up for a game. If the person is not flagged as a cheater, then they go into the non-cheater pool to be queued up for those games.

In this way, all of the non-cheaters won't have to deal with the cheaters, and all of the cheaters won't have an advantage because they will ONLY be playing against other cheaters.

This lets Wargaming keep both sets of customers. The cheaters get to stay because they don't get banned. The non-cheaters won't quit out of frustration of having to deal with the cheaters because they won't have to deal with the cheaters at all. Wargaming can keep everyone. Wargaming is happy. The non-cheaters are happy. The cheaters are happy... except not really because if everyone they fight is also cheating, then they don't get to have an unfair advantage over anyone, but you know... they can deal with it. Oh well. At least they are getting to play the game the way they want to. "Oh no. A cheater has to ALWAYS fight against people who are cheating against him right back..." It is poetic really.

Wargaming could even program it such that if a cheater goes for X number of games without cheating, it might drop the "cheater" flag, and let the cheater return to the normal matchmaking with the non-cheaters if they go for X number of games "going clean." I am ok with it if they have to suffer for quite a few games fighting other cheaters before the server lets them back into games where people aren't cheating though. 50 games? 100 games? 500 games? It would be a good punishment. They would have to feel what they did to others by fighting against cheaters while they aren't.

If they start cheating again, the algorithm catches them, and... back into the cheater side of the matchmaker they go until they want to go clean again. They can play the game that way if they want to, but they won't be gaining an advantage over those who don't because they won't ever be playing with those who play fairly. The reason why this has potential is because it doesn't cost WG customers. In fact, it actually saves WG customers because the non-cheaters won't be frustrated by having to deal with the cheaters. THIS actually maximizes player retention better than what Wargaming is doing right now with the Fair Play Policy that... let's be honest... isn't very effective percentage-wise. This also lets WG put actual teeth into the effort of trying to identify the cheaters because... they aren't actually going to ban them or prevent them from playing the way they want to. It also lets everyone have the best gaming experience overall. Brilliant!

Keep in mind this would ONLY work if wargaming gets really serious and really good at identifying cheaters with an automatic server-side (definitely not client side, or it can be worked around) program that watches the player's interface with the server for certain behaviors that indicate cheating. Why should WG do this? Because better gaming experience equals higher player retention, and higher player retention equals more customers for Wargaming which equals more money for Wargaming per year while, again, actually making the better gaming experience better! Everyone wins.

Ortinoth_ #2 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 21:51

Captain

• Players
  • 28019 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA
you do realize wargaming already has an anti cheat program that scans every so often and people get banned, the cheating problem isn't as bad as you think, in the last ban wave less then 1% of all accounts were banned due to illegal usages of mods aka your so called cheaters.

Buttknuckle #3 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 56286 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
Your entire dissertation is based on flawed premises. The cheating problem in WOT is not "horrendously bad," and whatever cheats you think people are using are most assuredly not activated by "pressing button combinations."

GenPanzer #4 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 21:57

Major

• Players
  • 47277 battles
  • [COLD1] COLD1

To add to what Buttknuckled said as I was typing basically what he said...

And even if it was possible to do what you say, you, and those that think like you, will assume WG isn't doing what they say because you don't cheat, but you fought someone that did cheat. So, your idea would not work, ever.

HOTA_CHATON #5 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 21:58

Major

• Players
  • 14626 battles

View PostOrtinoth_, on Jan 13 2020 - 14:51, said:

you do realize wargaming already has an anti cheat program that scans every so often and people get banned, the cheating problem isn't as bad as you think, in the last ban wave less then 1% of all accounts were banned due to illegal usages of mods aka your so called cheaters.

If your referring to Punk Buster, it doesn't work.  The cheaters, that we know of are only caught, when they slip up and mainly post videos of themselves doing so well in battle, not by Punk Buster, that's for sure.

_Tsavo_ #6 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 22:04

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 48700 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
I don't think cheating in this game is horrendously bad, but it's there.  This is a lot to do about a likely small percentage of the population

Strohmann #7 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 22:08

Captain

• Players
  • 45135 battles

I see the neg rep is still gone.

:- /

JakeTheMystic #8 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 26495 battles
  • [TRY] TRY

This is a certified "They killed me so they must be cheating" post. 

Move along, nothing new to see here...

Helpless #9 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 22:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5970 battles
heres an idea.... wg does what wows did and implement an injected mod detection system and actually ban cheaters...... 

Atragon #10 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 46516 battles
How about putting all suspect cheaters in the same MM Que like one other game does I forgot its name.

13Disciple #11 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:03

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27739 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

I don't believe the premise that cheating is a blatant or horrendous problem in World of Tanks.

I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong though. If you can send me a few replays of the current patch with apparent cheating I'd be very interested in reviewing them!

Might even get a shout on my you tube channel.

Projectile_Misfired #12 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:04

Major

• Players
  • 38885 battles

OP, can you please list some of these so-called cheats?

gpc_4 #13 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 46687 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
I've played a lot of WoT and have never been in a situation where I believed someone was cheating or hacking or whatever you want to call it (definitely ran into a few bot programs though). There are mods, many of which WG has deemed illegal, that can give a player an advantage (reload timers, showing when destructible map features are broken on the mini-map, turret direction indicator, etc.). However, nothing can make all your rounds pen or give your tank impenetrable armor or make you invisible. These things do not happen and I'm afraid this is what most people believe is cheating in WoT. Almost all claims of cheating/hacks are a misunderstanding of game mechanics. OP, you are fretting over nothing. Illegal mods will not make a bad player a great player. They won't even make a bad player an average player. The only thing you can control in battle is your own gameplay. Worry about that instead of these mysterious cheaters.

Pipinghot #14 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostComrad_Pravda, on Jan 13 2020 - 15:41, said:

but the cheating problem in World of Tanks is horrendously bad.

Well that's a big "Nope". Cheating exists, that's true, but it's a dishonest exaggeration to call it "horrendously bad".

View PostComrad_Pravda, on Jan 13 2020 - 15:41, said:

Look at what sort of button combinations people end up using that are unique to a play-style that arises from using those cheats

And even if cheating was as bad as you think it is (it's not, but let's pretend) what you are describing does not exist. There is not some different set of button combinations or play style that's different for people who use cheat mods. You've read Harry Potter a few too many times, what you are describing is magic, not computers.

ObrumPL #15 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21745 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

View Post_Tsavo_, on Jan 13 2020 - 14:04, said:

I don't think cheating in this game is horrendously bad, but it's there.  This is a lot to do about a likely small percentage of the population

Most of the time people assume cheating occurs when they get outplayed, so IMHO opinion I agree with you and disagree with OP's statement. Quite honestly I can think of only one or two instances over the whole of last year where I had but a suspicion of someone playing with cheat mods, suspicion not certainty.

cloudwalkr #16 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 57161 battles
  • [BOND] BOND
Denial seems to be more of an issue than cheats.

DVK9 #17 Posted Jan 13 2020 - 23:59

Captain

• Players
  • 26684 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

View Postgpc_4, on Jan 13 2020 - 16:33, said:

I've played a lot of WoT and have never been in a situation where I believed someone was cheating or hacking or whatever you want to call it (definitely ran into a few bot programs though). There are mods, many of which WG has deemed illegal, that can give a player an advantage (reload timers, showing when destructible map features are broken on the mini-map, turret direction indicator, etc.). However, nothing can make all your rounds pen or give your tank impenetrable armor or make you invisible. These things do not happen and I'm afraid this is what most people believe is cheating in WoT. Almost all claims of cheating/hacks are a misunderstanding of game mechanics. OP, you are fretting over nothing. Illegal mods will not make a bad player a great player. They won't even make a bad player an average player. The only thing you can control in battle is your own gameplay. Worry about that instead of these mysterious cheaters.

I agree with this. Been a long time since the era of terrible bots and I believe that if there is a horrendous cheating problem it is likely to be in the bottom tiers. Those playing above tier 4/5 would see it for what it is and repost a replay here

Smooky_Le_chien_husky #18 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 00:10

Captain

• Players
  • 26362 battles
  • [LMFR] LMFR

me i get banned for 7 days for  did instaled the olds aslain with mods are banned when i did not know . is direction of turret only that is when i am back on world of tank only . But as i know  all player rusian give lot money on the game will not banned . because on streaming on internet i still see Rusian using it .. so why us we have to be so banned on na server  when couple of rusian can use all this mods . bus us on server na . and canadien we have to be banned for using it i not understand that . hunt for streaming guys you will see what i mean

Edited by Smooky_Le_chien_husky, Jan 14 2020 - 00:13.

InappropriateHandHolding #19 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 02:05

Major

• Players
  • 41416 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
You do know the worst thing that cheat mods can do is show tanks out of render aim for you and show where objects fall.  If you are a trash player it isnt a auto win like in fps games

InappropriateHandHolding #20 Posted Jan 14 2020 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 41416 battles
  • [REL2] REL2

View PostSmooky_Le_chien_husky, on Jan 14 2020 - 00:10, said:

me i get banned for 7 days for  did instaled the olds aslain with mods are banned when i did not know . is direction of turret only that is when i am back on world of tank only . But as i know  all player rusian give lot money on the game will not banned . because on streaming on internet i still see Rusian using it .. so why us we have to be so banned on na server  when couple of rusian can use all this mods . bus us on server na . and canadien we have to be banned for using it i not understand that . hunt for streaming guys you will see what i mean

1 holy that is some of the worst English I have ever seen

2 different servers have different rules for what mods are allowed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users