Arty Isn't a Problem (Or is it? You Be the Judge)

artillery

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

MajorDoozy #1 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

For the last nearly 2 years, I have hated artillery gameplay. Then it hit me (sorta). I figured, well, maybe its just me. Maybe I just need to get arty safe more, get spotted less, and play better. Every game I get blasted by arty, I would say out loud: "get good, arty isn't a problem".

I've been doing that until today. Had a game on the new Kharkov today in my 277, where I am in the middle of the city (3 artillery game). I set up against the side of a building that is supposedly completely arty-safe. I end up getting spotted, and all hell breaks loose. Needless to say, it wasn't fully arty-proof, after finding out the hard way.

Immediately, the enemy M40/43 splashes me from approximately 5 meters away, does ~400 damage, kills 2 of my 4 crew, and blows both of my tracks off. 2nd shell comes in from the G.W. E100, hits around the same distance away, does ~500 damage, kills another crew member, sets an engine fire, damages my ammo rack, damages the engine, and gun. 5 seconds later, the last artillery shell hits me (and pens somehow), killing me from half health (about 1200-1300 HP).

After that, it's kinda hard to say that its the driver of the tank, and not the artillery mechanic. I mean, the gun and tracks getting damaged, I can understand completely. But how can a shell that doesn't connect with a tank deal that much damage, much less that much internal module damage? (I also think the stun mechanic is bullsh*t, but that's not the point of this thread).

With the HP pool increase/premium ammo nerf/arty nerf still somewhat in the air, I am genuinely curious to know how WG is planning on handling the future of SPG's in this game. I foresee a grim future for them, if they sit idle and leave artillery as is, because the current artillery meta does seem to be pissing off a lot of players. 

Let the discussion begin...

Edited by MajorDoozy, Jan 15 2020 - 03:52.

Crazy___Canuck #2 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31611 battles

There is no discussion...…….just another arty rant. 

Wheelies are a problem, camping TDs are a problem, OP Russian medium tanks are a problem, etc.  It's a matter of perspective to excuse why you (and the rest of us) are not as good as we think we should be and would like to think we are!   Welcome to WoT, and the challenge it brings to make you a better player, and overcome these 'unfair' challenges!!  

(snowflake alert!)

Edited by Crazy___Canuck, Jan 15 2020 - 03:40.

RaynorShyne #3 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:42

Captain

• Players
  • 28706 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD
A replay would be nice.   

MajorDoozy #4 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

It's not a matter of perspective when others are experiencing similar issues. I love a challenge, but I dislike a game mechanic that renders me completely unplayable, while not even hitting my tank. Artillery is a good mechanic to have in this game; though there is something to be said about the raw damage and module damage they can do from frankly ridiculous ranges.

I also don't remember saying that "artillery is unfair". Find where I said that in this post, and I will buy you gold.

(ignorance alert)

MajorDoozy #5 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 14 2020 - 21:42, said:

A replay would be nice.   

Believe me, I would post one if I had the capability to. My client apparently doesn't like replays with the most recent patch, and isn't recording any.

WhineMaker #6 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 03:54

Major

• Players
  • 40308 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA
Key word: supposedly

MajorDoozy #7 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 04:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostWhineMaker, on Jan 14 2020 - 21:54, said:

Key word: supposedly

that word was bolded for a reason. It is arty safe, but not arty-splash safe. I didn't know that until I started getting hit.

Crazy___Canuck #8 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 04:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 31611 battles

View PostMajorDoozy, on Jan 15 2020 - 03:49, said:

It's not a matter of perspective when others are experiencing similar issues. I love a challenge, but I dislike a game mechanic that renders me completely unplayable, while not even hitting my tank. Artillery is a good mechanic to have in this game; though there is something to be said about the raw damage and module damage they can do from frankly ridiculous ranges.

I also don't remember saying that "artillery is unfair". Find where I said that in this post, and I will buy you gold.

(ignorance alert)

That's inherent in your rant...…..or is the 'building' unfair?  Nothing to see here....

Sam_Sanister #9 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 04:42

Captain

• Players
  • 28570 battles
  • [K0HAI] K0HAI

WG can "fix" the splash damage as long as they also fix the 0 damage direct hits.

It's large caliber HE, the whole point of that is to deal some damage.

MajorDoozy #10 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:42

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostSam_Sanister, on Jan 14 2020 - 22:42, said:

WG can "fix" the splash damage as long as they also fix the 0 damage direct hits.

It's large caliber HE, the whole point of that is to deal some damage.

Quite frankly though, it is completely unbelievable the amount of damage/module damage a shell that big can do from 5 meters away. nearly 500 in addition to 2 crew, and 3-4 different modules, as well as a fire? Wargaming needs to get real.

BYK_Chainsaw #11 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 55008 battles

the only real problem with arty is EVEN when you hide behind a building or large rock, or ANYTHING arty seems to find a way to drop a load in

your face.   If im playing arty I just have to laugh and laugh at the loser trying to hide... just happy it wasnt me this time.

MajorDoozy #12 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostBYK_Chainsaw, on Jan 15 2020 - 13:19, said:

the only real problem with arty is EVEN when you hide behind a building or large rock, or ANYTHING arty seems to find a way to drop a load in

your face.   If im playing arty I just have to laugh and laugh at the loser trying to hide... just happy it wasnt me this time.

That's the other major issue that I didn't cover.

WhineMaker #13 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:23

Major

• Players
  • 40308 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

View PostBYK_Chainsaw, on Jan 15 2020 - 10:19, said:

Are you actually implying arty moves from their original spawn location? :ohmy:

How absurd... :facepalm:

All of the kiddo ragers know this can't possibly be true... :child:

MajorDoozy #14 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostWhineMaker, on Jan 15 2020 - 13:23, said:

Are you actually implying arty moves from their original spawn location? :ohmy:

How absurd... :facepalm:

All of the kiddo ragers know this can't possibly be true... :child:

Just another forum troll.

Mako__Reizei___ #15 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 245 battles
Spall Liner?

MajorDoozy #16 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13055 battles

View PostMako__Reizei___, on Jan 15 2020 - 14:26, said:

Spall Liner?

No, why would I carry a spall liner on a 277?

I run rammer, vents, and gun laying drive.

Heat_Stroke #17 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32189 battles

This isn't about the initial poster, but I don't know why some people in the forum just can't give an honest answer. Instead they feel the need to whine about what they perceive as whining. Guess that sort of makes this a whine too. If you can't be helpful go back to posting your thoughts on Facebook, I'm sure one of your million "friends" love you.

Firstly there is almost nowhere on a map you can hide if the arty is willing to move, or are fast enough to move. The French and American arty are great at moving an shooting, until you get to the American X. Then you have the arc of fire for the type of gun. Stubby guns like the Brit X are so small that you're almost shooting straight up, which means you can land rounds over objects like houses.

As for damage, you got me there as I haven't a clue. There are occasions I can one shot someone, usually by hitting an ammo rack, and other times I'll get direct hits and do 9 points of damage. The one thing I do find interesting whether driving a regular tank or arty, is the damage and pen that seems to happen in some matches. Quite often things pen that shouldn't when you're own a winning team where the victory is exceptionally lopsided, and the reverse hold true too. I'm sure everyone has been in those matches where you have some POS light and go up against something like T-95 knowing your rounds will bounce, only to find it pens it like paper, or when you're in a super TD and hit the side of a light (clown cars aside) and the rounds bounce. There are always anomalies with coding, but that one still baffles me because it happens a lot in lopsided matches. Which means it's not just player skills.

I never like the stun mechanic, thought it was stupid, but that was WOT's answer to nerfing arty the first time. They lowered the damage and add stun. One shot kills happened more frequently back then, and people complained about it, so they "fixed" it. Where this new nerf is going who knows, they will I'm sure fk it up. But then that leaves everyone selling off their KV 2's because they can't do any damage anymore.

As for 3 arties in a match. I don't care if i'm in a regular tank or and arty, I hate it and I've always hated it. I honestly don't think it's fair when 3 can just track someone to death. Maybe it's WOT's way of getting money for buying repair kits. I doubt it, more like the designer had a serious brain fart. It's not really the damage arty inflicts though in that case, it's hindering the ability of that person to seek cover leaving them open to getting shot by everyone.

Which leads me into the damage thing again. If 2 tanks or a tank and arty hit you at the same time, it will look like one is doing all the damage. Just like when you hit a tank and it shows 1100 damage, and you're think "awesome", only to find out that someone else hit them right before you did, and you got 85 points.

For all the complaining about arty, how often do you see them at the top of the damage list? How about rarely.  Now if you do something stupid like cross open fields where everyone can see you, or never move, or 5 of you bunch together all trying to shoot one poor guy on the other side, then yeah it's going to be a good day for arty.

Edited by Heat_Stroke, Jan 15 2020 - 20:44.

_Red_Saaryn_ #18 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 26618 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L

View PostMajorDoozy, on Jan 15 2020 - 03:28, said:

For the last nearly 2 years, I have hated artillery gameplay. Then it hit me (sorta). I figured, well, maybe its just me. Maybe I just need to get arty safe more, get spotted less, and play better. Every game I get blasted by arty, I would say out loud: "get good, arty isn't a problem".

I've been doing that until today. Had a game on the new Kharkov today in my 277, where I am in the middle of the city (3 artillery game). I set up against the side of a building that is supposedly completely arty-safe. I end up getting spotted, and all hell breaks loose. Needless to say, it wasn't fully arty-proof, after finding out the hard way.

Immediately, the enemy M40/43 splashes me from approximately 5 meters away, does ~400 damage, kills 2 of my 4 crew, and blows both of my tracks off. 2nd shell comes in from the G.W. E100, hits around the same distance away, does ~500 damage, kills another crew member, sets an engine fire, damages my ammo rack, damages the engine, and gun. 5 seconds later, the last artillery shell hits me (and pens somehow), killing me from half health (about 1200-1300 HP).

After that, it's kinda hard to say that its the driver of the tank, and not the artillery mechanic. I mean, the gun and tracks getting damaged, I can understand completely. But how can a shell that doesn't connect with a tank deal that much damage, much less that much internal module damage? (I also think the stun mechanic is bullsh*t, but that's not the point of this thread).

With the HP pool increase/premium ammo nerf/arty nerf still somewhat in the air, I am genuinely curious to know how WG is planning on handling the future of SPG's in this game. I foresee a grim future for them, if they sit idle and leave artillery as is, because the current artillery meta does seem to be pissing off a lot of players. 

Let the discussion begin...

That's called "dynamic gameplay" and the best way to avoid it is by not being spotted at all. Basically camp which is funny because wot developers said dynamic gameplay was to prevent camping and does the contrary! It encourages camping! 

cavalry11 #19 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 01:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 51629 battles
  • [APG] APG
Large caliber arty has an enormous blast radius, not sure but seems to me an 8 inch round dropped in center of 1k circle was deadly to all unprotected troops and light vehicles in that circle. And would track or destroy most armored vehicles within 10 to 20 meters. So taking large amount of damage from a hit only 5 meters away would really mess up your day.

Arclyte #20 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 02:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18274 battles
  • [RWDS] RWDS

no one cares about real life

this is a game, and arty is ruining it

Also tagged with artillery

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users