Platooning: Why am I worse in a Platoon than Solo?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

BlackFive #1 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 37826 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

Gaaaaah!

That's about all I can say about my most recent effort at platooning.  Playing tanks I'm competent in, last night I absolutely played worse than a muppet.  To the tune of:

• a Zero damage game in STRV -B  (not a zero shot's taken, either... I just missed or bounced EVERY SINGLE SHOT),
  • followed by a 300 damage game (where I got more damage from spots / tracking than some of the meds) in the same STRV,
  • followed by a single decent 3k game in v4, where my early-match performance was so horrifically bad I had to watch my toon-mates die without support (from me) and then I only got late-game cleanup damage, missing the final kill-shot for the sole win of the session

Frankly I would not blame those guys for thinking I bought my account.  It was really that bad. I had to leave after the third match.

It isn't always this way.  Usually I can at least contribute every match.  But the thing I notice, the trend (which last night does not reflect) -- is that while my w/r goes up, my overall damage per game goes down. 

I know some people swear by platooning, and others who seem to do well when matched up with other players... but this isn't my experience.  Rather than being 'the guy who contributes / carries'  in a Platoon, I'm often 'another guy in the match' or 'over-confident, dead early and carried' or 'hey, we all did well, boy did that other team suuuuuck'.

So what's the trick?

cloudwalkr #2 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 17:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

I often have this same issue.

In my opinion, for myself anyway, I think it's a issue with feeling you need to always be there and protect or help your platoon mate.  Running solo, if you want to retreat...you can.  If you want to push, you can.  Platooned, you have someone else to think about....most of the time anyway.  I'll put myself in situations that I wouldn't normally do if I think it will help save my platoon mate.  That's the biggest difference, imo, in platooning vs solo.  Solo, I'll relocate faster and with less concern for an extended ally.  

When I'm platooned I'm constantly looking out for my buddy and trying to place myself in positions I might not choose otherwise.  

Platooning with friends is definitely the way to go in this game.  Platooning for wins is a different story and you need platoonmates that are capable of surviving on their own and performing on their own.  Then, at times, you work together to bully a flank or something.  

My suggestion to you might be to play similar tanks and play with your plat m8's a bit more in uniform tanks to gel a little better.  Then when you guys have very clear ideas of the others playstyle you might be able to break that up a bit and run some different tanks.  

So, run 3 is7's or 3 mediums, something like that.  Honestly, watch out for running 3 td's or lights in the same platoon because those are much harder to carry in...in my opinion.  3 man light tank platoon...you all had better have very clear understanding of good light tank play or it will more than likely end up badly.

You want to find platoon mates that can survive, I think that's the "trick" and the basis for good platoons.  Players who survive to late game consistently.  

dave_292 #3 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 29541 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
Because you are not playing the same. Its a common problem. You are trying to cover your toon mate so you will setup differently then normal. It important to play your best first then cover your mate second. It sound counter productive but saving your toon mate may cost helping somewhere else on the field.

tod914 #4 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:25

Major

• Players
  • 66062 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS
Getting more bottom tier games when you toon?  That will can have an impact on the outcome. 

GAJohnnie #5 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 10875 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostBlackFive, on Jan 15 2020 - 11:40, said:

Gaaaaah!

So what's the trick?

View Postdave_292, on Jan 15 2020 - 12:13, said:

Because you are not playing the same. Its a common problem. You are trying to cover your toon mate so you will setup differently then normal. It important to play your best first then cover your mate second. It sound counter productive but saving your toon mate may cost helping somewhere else on the field.

^_______This is exactly my experience. I was trying to match my platoon mates play when I did not have the skill, the set up, or the tank for it. I now focus on playing my best game and covering them where I can. It works much better for me

NeatoMan #6 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:30

Major

• Players
  • 28785 battles
Same here.  I think I get too aggressive whenever I platoon with my son.  When I know someone on my team I am more likely to make a push in the hopes that he'll have my back and/or be able to capitalize on it.  I have to remember that even working together, we aren't going to blow open a flank with some daring move.

BlackFive #7 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:36

Major

• Players
  • 37826 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

View Posttod914, on Jan 15 2020 - 18:25, said:

Getting more bottom tier games when you toon?  That will can have an impact on the outcome. 

I'm always bottom tier playing 10s.  

cloudwalkr #8 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 18:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

View Posttod914, on Jan 15 2020 - 18:25, said:

This feels like a legit issue.  When tooned, I feel like I'm bottom tier 90% of the time.  Then I'll run solo and be top tier the next 5 games straight.  I'm trying not to go down that rabbit hole, but man...it sure feels like the game screws platoons in mm.

Edit:  Excellent explanation, AndrewSledge.  Hadn't really thought about it like that.  

Edited by cloudwalkr, Jan 15 2020 - 20:14.

AndrewSledge #9 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 37098 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

The bottom-tier while platooning was a bigger issue when most games were set at 3-5-7; if you have a 3-tank platoon, there's only 1 opening in a team for a platoon of that size at toptier. I think it's probably better now that the tier spread is a bit looser, but because all tier spreads currently available have more bottom tier tanks than top tier tanks, platoons will always trend towards being bottom tier more often than top, at a even higher rate than solo play.

AllieOop2 #10 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14 battles
I have never once in 10 years of playing platooned. So my experience is zero. However i thought the object of platoons was to leech off of someone vastly better than yourself? If so pick better platoon mates and have them carry your sorry self to more wins :)

BlackFive #11 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 37826 battles
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G

View PostAllieOop2, on Jan 15 2020 - 19:13, said:

I have never once in 10 years of playing platooned. So my experience is zero. However i thought the object of platoons was to leech off of someone vastly better than yourself? If so pick better platoon mates and have them carry your sorry self to more wins :)

The pool of players 'vastly better' than I is small - and they have no interest in carrying a scrub like me, anyway.

:D

tod914 #12 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:46

Major

• Players
  • 66062 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View Postcloudwalkr, on Jan 15 2020 - 12:37, said:

This feels like a legit issue.  When tooned, I feel like I'm bottom tier 90% of the time.  Then I'll run solo and be top tier the next 5 games straight.  I'm trying not to go down that rabbit hole, but man...it sure feels like the game screws platoons in mm.

That's the same observation I have drawn. 

Heat_Stroke #13 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31820 battles
As others have mentioned, I used to get killed more than normal if I did what the platoon did. I stopped that and just went back to doing my own thing while in a platoon. My deaths then went back to the normal "bend over" matches provided by MM.

cloudwalkr #14 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

View PostAllieOop2, on Jan 15 2020 - 19:13, said:

wow, so glad I don't have that outlook.

Platooning with friends is one of the absolute best ways to play this game for enjoyment sake.  Platooning with friends that are also good at the game brings a level of enjoyment few see.  You seem like a fun person to hang with.

SquishySupreme #15 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3955 battles
The game has:
Random calculations to your aim, random calculations to your pen, and random calculations to your damage..

Just accept it as the joke that it is and play the game just for fun.  It's already so random that it's not worth getting upset about or trying to be super competitive.

PuddleSplasher #16 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 40051 battles
Enjoy the game and the fun it brings. Its a game of pixellated dots. :trollface:

goldfinger_555 #17 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:39

Captain

• Players
  • 27797 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

I think its best to have one mate cover one flank while you cover the other. That way you play your game instead of trying to help the other out too much and you both die early. Hopefully you are both alive late and than can help each other to win the a close game.

Da_Craw #18 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 28364 battles
Choice of tanks in a platoon can make a huge difference.  As mentioned above, 3 TDs or 3 Lights tooned together are a bad idea.  Why do you need more than one light in a given area of the map?  TDs and other support tanks need someone to support.  A front line heavy or assault TD tooned with some heaviums works well.  Medium wolfpacks are always a good idea.  It also helps if you have a good understanding amongst the 'toon of who is leading.  Communication is also key.  "I'm getting ready to push. Follow me in." would save more matches than most people would believe.   

MiddleAgedNoob #19 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 21:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19515 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

Maybe it's just me, but I can't talk and tank at the same time....

GLHF

golruul #20 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 16:56

Captain

• Players
  • 22346 battles

I wouldn't make that conclusion just yet.

Your first two games are in a camo TD, whose performance is highly map dependent.  Did you get maps that don't really match its playstyle?

Pick some front line tanks and play a bunch of games platooned with that.  Then see how you're doing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users