Potential WOT Crew Revisions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

g327 #1 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18852 battles

I have read about the impending plans to review/revise the current crew aspect of the game.

There have been no official statements of what those revisions might be. Therefore, I realize that our forum comments are nothing more than speculation and conjecture.

But, I have read that WOWS has a crew model than ours here in WOT. Consequently, it makes some sense that WOT might incorporate some of those features.

So, I am requesting that those of you who are WOWS veterans to briefly explain how the WOWS crew actually works in game play. 

Please and Thank you.

Filthywon #2 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20863 battles
  • [TINC] TINC
I have so many high skill crews and this unknown is making me wonder what's going to happen to them. I hope it wasn't a waste of time and money. 

AllieOop2 #3 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14 battles

Even with little know what is known does not equate to the WoW system. That was a wild speculation with no basis in anything but fake news sky is falling blatant emo speculation.

They will have 25 perks and how you equip/train your crew ( as was stated in the press release) will effect how your tank performs.

cloudwalkr #4 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

View PostFilthywon, on Jan 15 2020 - 19:23, said:

I have so many high skill crews and this unknown is making me wonder what's going to happen to them. I hope it wasn't a waste of time and money. 

This is where I'm at.

I cannot fathom WG resetting everyones crews and it working out ok.  For me, I would personally have to go back and reselect skills for something like 200 tanks.  I honestly don't know the exact number, but it's way up there.  How could they reset all those crews, change them...and then not mess something up?  I don't see it happening.

You want to see WG tanks die in 1 day on NA...reset crews for everyone and screw them up.  I'm skeptical at best WG could pull it off.

Kramah313 #5 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:49

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5571 battles

View PostAllieOop2, on Jan 15 2020 - 19:31, said:

Even with little know what is known does not equate to the WoW system. That was a wild speculation with no basis in anything but fake news sky is falling blatant emo speculation.

They will have 25 perks and how you equip/train your crew ( as was stated in the press release) will effect how your tank performs.

It is speculation, but it is derived from the Q and A from last year:

Perks Rebalance

• Rebalance of perks that grew outdated and/or never were really popular will involve either replacing them with other perks or changing how a perk works.
  • Granting six sense to all tank commanders by default
  • Ability to store and pass over Crew experience
  • Redesign of Crew UI
  • Most likely, removal of Barracks, if it proves possible

We’re leaning towards leaving just one Commander for a tank who’ll represent an entire crew. However, it’s just a concept as of now. Right now, we don’t have an answer on how to rework and reimburse players who poured money and time into training Crew members.

link:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/704476-developer-and-blogger-stream-qa-english-transcript/

Heat_Stroke #6 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 19:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31820 battles
I'm sure whatever they do it will be bad.

subweevil #7 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36881 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

"Right now, we don’t have an answer on how to rework and reimburse players who poured money and time into training Crew members."

More than likely, they won't even bother to devise an answer, that would be my bet.  They will just say "It's what all the players requested and wanted," yet never show the polls. results, etc.  Even more than likely, they simply won't care, and leave it to the NA staff to deal with the fallout and take all the brunt of it.  For some odd reason, this compnay thinks everyone has ADHD, and if they show the playerbase something shiney and new, all will be forgotten.

cloudwalkr #8 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:17

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56712 battles

View Postsubweevil, on Jan 15 2020 - 20:06, said:

"Right now, we don’t have an answer on how to rework and reimburse players who poured money and time into training Crew members."

More than likely, they won't even bother to devise an answer, that would be my bet.  They will just say "It's what all the players requested and wanted," yet never show the polls. results, etc.  Even more than likely, they simply won't care, and leave it to the NA staff to deal with the fallout and take all the brunt of it.  For some odd reason, this compnay thinks everyone has ADHD, and if they show the playerbase something shiney and new, all will be forgotten.

They have been shown that showing NA shiny things works.  That's why the game is in the state it is in.  WG put out bs and people eat it like candy and throw money at them for it.

Cowcat137 #9 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 14971 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
I believe it will vest all perks and skills in the commander and the crew will be hit boxes. For example a dead driver will hurt you just as it does now.

Feargrim27 #10 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 20:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16368 battles

When a person utilizes "fake news" - credibility on their post goes out the window.

It's ok to speculate as long as it's identified as such. From what I've read, it'll be based on the WoWS crew system BUT "based on" could mean anywhere from 1% to 99% so although I would like to hear a WoWS vet chime in, we all have to take it with a grain of salt.

Kinetic_Strike #11 Posted Jan 15 2020 - 22:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 1045 battles

For Wows, it is significantly different in many ways. (Information available at the wiki: https://wiki.wargami.../Ship:Commander)

First of all is only one "crew" aka commander/captain for a ship. This definitely makes it easier to accomplish skills as none of them require other crew members being either fully trained (BIA) or partially trained (how much concealment do I have with this hodgepodge of percentages?). IE you either have Concealment Expert trained up or not (during retraining, some skills may function at 50% effectiveness, though others will be completely disabled).

Captains are trained on a specific ship, but ship type is immaterial - though obviously skill choice varies from class to class. You can put captains onto any premium ship of the nation with no penalty, and if you are moving up a ship in the tech tree, you can use a premium for retraining purposes.

They made Situational Awareness (aka Sixth Sense) a free basic skill a couple years ago. In ships that skill is definitely different however (it lights immediately, stays lit while you're detected, turns off as soon as you go back into stealth, and also indicates in which manner you are spotted - surface, hydro, radar, plane, proximity).

As for the captain skill grind, it is far easier in comparison to get a basic level of usefulness IMO. You are capped at a total of 19 skill points to use on a possible 80 points worth of skills. In practice this isn't as limiting as it seems - a good portion are CV specific, for example. There are eight each 1, 2, 3, and 4 point skills. You need to already have a preceding skill tier unlocked to move up, so you can't have a 1-pt and 4-pt skill only. So at 10 points, a captain will have Situational Awareness, and 1 skill from each tier, and be reasonably competitive, even against a 19-point captain. Some of the skills are more nuanced, some are fairly obvious in the effect. (For comparison, a 10 point captain requires 183,000 captain XP, and a 19 point captain requires 1,708,000.)

As far as my tank tomato self can tell, a huge difference is at the high end of the spectrum. I'm unsure but it seems you just keep gaining crew XP indefinitely, even as skills/perks are all obtained? In ships a 19 pt captain still earns XP, but it now goes into the Elite Captain XP pool. You can use this to train up a new captain instantly, to add a couple of points to an existing captain, or to complete retraining or skill resets.

In game there is a subtle effect when it comes to spotting/concealment as I alluded to above. It is far more discrete and easier to "know" friend and foe concealment etc.

3nr0n #12 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 02:01

Captain

• Players
  • 23929 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

View PostHeat_Stroke, on Jan 15 2020 - 12:58, said:

I'm sure whatever they do it will be bad.

Russian refund.:confused:

Captain_Rownd #13 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 02:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3473 battles

Get rid of crew skills.  Make the game about player skills. 

g327 #14 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 02:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18852 battles

View PostKinetic_Strike, on Jan 15 2020 - 16:16, said:

For Wows, it is significantly different in many ways. (Information available at the wiki: https://wiki.wargami.../Ship:Commander)

First of all is only one "crew" aka commander/captain for a ship. This definitely makes it easier to accomplish skills as none of them require other crew members being either fully trained (BIA) or partially trained (how much concealment do I have with this hodgepodge of percentages?). IE you either have Concealment Expert trained up or not (during retraining, some skills may function at 50% effectiveness, though others will be completely disabled).

Captains are trained on a specific ship, but ship type is immaterial - though obviously skill choice varies from class to class. You can put captains onto any premium ship of the nation with no penalty, and if you are moving up a ship in the tech tree, you can use a premium for retraining purposes.

They made Situational Awareness (aka Sixth Sense) a free basic skill a couple years ago. In ships that skill is definitely different however (it lights immediately, stays lit while you're detected, turns off as soon as you go back into stealth, and also indicates in which manner you are spotted - surface, hydro, radar, plane, proximity).

As for the captain skill grind, it is far easier in comparison to get a basic level of usefulness IMO. You are capped at a total of 19 skill points to use on a possible 80 points worth of skills. In practice this isn't as limiting as it seems - a good portion are CV specific, for example. There are eight each 1, 2, 3, and 4 point skills. You need to already have a preceding skill tier unlocked to move up, so you can't have a 1-pt and 4-pt skill only. So at 10 points, a captain will have Situational Awareness, and 1 skill from each tier, and be reasonably competitive, even against a 19-point captain. Some of the skills are more nuanced, some are fairly obvious in the effect. (For comparison, a 10 point captain requires 183,000 captain XP, and a 19 point captain requires 1,708,000.)

As far as my tank tomato self can tell, a huge difference is at the high end of the spectrum. I'm unsure but it seems you just keep gaining crew XP indefinitely, even as skills/perks are all obtained? In ships a 19 pt captain still earns XP, but it now goes into the Elite Captain XP pool. You can use this to train up a new captain instantly, to add a couple of points to an existing captain, or to complete retraining or skill resets.

In game there is a subtle effect when it comes to spotting/concealment as I alluded to above. It is far more discrete and easier to "know" friend and foe concealment etc.

+1  MANY Thanks!

This is the basic info I was hoping for: an idea of the "how" the WOWS crew function applies in actual game play vs. the concept "what" the crew function is intended to be as described in written explanation. 

AllieOop2 #15 Posted Jan 16 2020 - 22:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14 battles

View PostFeargrim27, on Jan 15 2020 - 20:38, said:

When a person utilizes "fake news" - credibility on their post goes out the window.

It's ok to speculate as long as it's identified as such. From what I've read, it'll be based on the WoWS crew system BUT "based on" could mean anywhere from 1% to 99% so although I would like to hear a WoWS vet chime in, we all have to take it with a grain of salt.

When someone allows a popular catch phrase to get in the way of the content said, they have no credibility or information to possibly learn or speculate from. What you have read? What info have you read besides the QA and recent patch notes from WG do you have secret access to? More speculation notes from people that want to read into the already mentioned? Your relatively sure the change is based on WOW. Where is the info that lead you to believe that? Joe Blows speculation video? I mean I know your out on the limb with the projected probability of 1 to 99 percent call.Which shows a lot of fortitude putting yourself out there like that.

Omega_Weapon #16 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 07:03

Major

• Players
  • 54311 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Jan 15 2020 - 20:11, said:

Get rid of crew skills.  Make the game about player skills. 

Training the right skills in the right order is actually part of player skill. Its not all about twitch reflexes.

blade_runner2049 #17 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 10:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18516 battles
Wonder if they plan an AW model where you have one commander for all tanks in that line with different crew for each tank. The commander would have a more in-depth talent tree and the regular crew just a few perks to learn up to. Most of the performance rests on the commander.

Zuikakoo #18 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 10:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22923 battles
There is no way they can implement this without pissing everybody off.   They want to give everybody 6th sense fine, just give us a commander with 6th sense already trained, like Loza, or all the twitch commanders they've been tossing at us.  

LpBronco #19 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 17:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46524 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View Postcloudwalkr, on Jan 15 2020 - 13:42, said:

This is where I'm at.

I cannot fathom WG resetting everyones crews and it working out ok.  For me, I would personally have to go back and reselect skills for something like 200 tanks.  I honestly don't know the exact number, but it's way up there.  How could they reset all those crews, change them...and then not mess something up?  I don't see it happening.

You want to see WG tanks die in 1 day on NA...reset crews for everyone and screw them up.  I'm skeptical at best WG could pull it off.

...try 577.

CaptainBussey #20 Posted Jan 18 2020 - 18:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6756 battles
  • [-FKS-] -FKS-

As Feargrim stated, its okay to speculate as long as it is labeled as such.

I'm not going to speculate but I will reiterate speculation of others.

I've heard, mostly on these forums, that they may just do away with all crew members except for the commander. That the other crew members can still be injured or killed in battle but that the commander will be the only crew member that you can manipulate with skills and perks.

Of course, this is wild speculation but if this were to happen it would drive a stake between me and the game more so than any other detrimental aspect since I've been playing. 

They would have to do one or two things for me to be half [edited]content.

One, send all of the non-commander crewmembers to the barracks and provide bunks for each at no cost, where they could be retrained (at a significant discount) to commander as needed for future tanks.

Or, refund me the experience, in the form of credits, for every non-commander crewmember that is alleviated as a result of this change. To the detriment of Wargaming they have created a metric for the value of experience and it is in the form of crew books (2M per 250,000 XP I believe). And in that case, Wargaming would owe me tens of millions of credits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users