• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Muskalopius #1 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 08:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

Disclaimer: This post is 100% borne of salt

Original Salty Body: Why Can't players have more control over their gameplay in this sea of RNG?

Edit: Since the title can't be taken for face value I'm sending this to the top for future readers.

View PostMuskalopius, on Jan 20 2020 - 19:05, said:

PLAYERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DESELECT STANDARD BATTLES IN THE OPTIONS MENU WHERE THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO DESELECT GRAND BATTLES, ENCOUNTER AND ASSAULT GAME MODES. BUT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE THE CHECK MARK TO SELECT IT IS GRAYED OUT WHILE ALWAYS SELECTED.

Edited by Muskalopius, Jan 20 2020 - 20:47.

Buttknuckle #2 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 10:14

Major

• Players
  • 54609 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
I feel that you may have a legitimate question and/or suggestion. However, it is worded in such a way that no one could have any conceivable idea what you are asking?

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 15:44

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

RNG in WoT is moderate.  It is +/- 11 to 25% only on 1/3 of all shots, the other 2/3 are just +/- 0 to 10%.

It affects all players equally, yet has the effect of ameliorating the gap in stats between better and worse players, therefore helping slightly the worse.

It also has the benefit of simulating the vagaries of the battlefield well, using a fairly simple mechanic.

So, no, RNG in WoT does not need to be changed... that's why WG doesn't change it.

ArmorStorm #4 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 16:24

Major

• Players
  • 38022 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jan 20 2020 - 08:44, said:

RNG in WoT is moderate.  It is +/- 11 to 25% only on 1/3 of all shots, the other 2/3 are just +/- 0 to 10%.

It affects all players equally, yet has the effect of ameliorating the gap in stats between better and worse players, therefore helping slightly the worse.

It also has the benefit of simulating the vagaries of the battlefield well, using a fairly simple mechanic.

So, no, RNG in WoT does not need to be changed... that's why WG doesn't change it.

George, I'm going to ask you to link that one.  For all my time in WoT it has been a straight 25% RNG roll every time AFAIK.  Not a hater, just would like to see it in print.  

heavymetal1967 #5 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 16:33

Major

• Players
  • 75764 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

Plus one to OP for the disclaimer.

tod914 #6 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 66856 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View PostArmorStorm, on Jan 20 2020 - 10:24, said:

George, I'm going to ask you to link that one.  For all my time in WoT it has been a straight 25% RNG roll every time AFAIK.  Not a hater, just would like to see it in print.  

It should be page 3, paragraph 4 of the Fan boi Manifesto.

Spoiler

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 17:11

Major

• Players
  • 75764 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View Posttod914, on Jan 20 2020 - 11:01, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

dunniteowl #8 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 18:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Title does NOT reflect a coherent thought or idea.  The disclaimer is the ONLY cogent thing in this OP.

OP, if you want to express an idea as a suggestion, maybe you should actually EXPRESS it.

SMHD Fail.  Back to the drawing board, OP.

OvO

Muskalopius #9 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 18:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA
Every thing is right where it needs to be. The only thing I left out is an example so if that will help; Some days I would like to play Grand Battles and only Grand Battles, but I can't because I can't deselect Standard Battles. And guess which one is more popular by default?

Edited by Muskalopius, Jan 20 2020 - 18:42.

Muskalopius #10 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 19:05

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 20 2020 - 18:14, said:

Title does NOT reflect a coherent thought or idea.  The disclaimer is the ONLY cogent thing in this OP.

OP, if you want to express an idea as a suggestion, maybe you should actually EXPRESS it.

SMHD Fail.  Back to the drawing board, OP.

OvO

You're joking, right? Do I really need to elaborate further or are you just being lazy?

PLAYERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DESELECT STANDARD BATTLES IN THE OPTIONS MENU WHERE THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO DESELECT GRAND BATTLES, ENCOUNTER AND ASSAULT GAME MODES. BUT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE THE CHECK MARK TO SELECT IT IS GRAYED OUT WHILE ALWAYS SELECTED.

Really can't believe I have to accommodate to someone who has 9000 forum posts.

Muskalopius #11 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 19:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

View PostButtknuckle, on Jan 20 2020 - 10:14, said:

I feel that you may have a legitimate question and/or suggestion. However, it is worded in such a way that no one could have any conceivable idea what you are asking?

Thank you for being respectful about getting me to elaborate.

dunniteowl #12 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

I vote NO at this point just because you are too thin skinned about getting appropriate levels of criticism on a poorly setup suggestion.

I will say that your EXPLANATION is and would have been something I might have thumbs up'd.  If you'd done that at first you wouldn't have had so much derision coming your way.

Maybe think about that as you wait for a Grand Battle.

OvO

Muskalopius #13 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 19:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA
So you're mooting my point on my derision of your retort? If you're going to expect people to hold to rules, do your best to follow them.

Edited by Muskalopius, Jan 20 2020 - 21:22.

heavymetal1967 #14 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 20:19

Major

• Players
  • 75764 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

I'm just here because of this.

View PostArmorStorm, on Jan 20 2020 - 10:24, said:

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jan 20 2020 - 09:44, said:

Spoiler

Muskalopius #15 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 20:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

View Postheavymetal1967, on Jan 20 2020 - 20:19, said:

I'm just here because of this.

Spoiler

View Postheavymetal1967, on Jan 20 2020 - 17:11, said:

Spoiler

View Posttod914, on Jan 20 2020 - 17:01, said:

Spoiler

View PostArmorStorm, on Jan 20 2020 - 16:24, said:

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jan 20 2020 - 15:44, said:

I shouldn't have mentioned RNG. 

dunniteowl #16 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 21:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostMuskalopius, on Jan 20 2020 - 12:35, said:

So you're muting my point on my derision of your retort? If you're going to expect people to hold to rules, do your best to follow them.

No, you misunderstand.  You can't take a decent level of criticism for screwing something up as simple as providing a simple explanation.  Why should I back an idea from someone so thin skinned?  Why should I coddle someone who, with their disclaimer, admits it's 100% based on being salty?

I did say back to drawing board and you made it personal.  You did go back to the drawing board, though, so I'll give you points for that.

How would your idea affect queues at tier X, do you suppose?  What sort of drawbacks might there be in making such a function?  Would you literally be emptying the tier X queue?  Is it at all possible that WG didn't separate the Grand Battles from the rest of the queue in response to having already considered the questions I am asking now?

You can be salty, I don't care, really.  If WG thought that these battles should be a completely separate function, they probably would have done it instead of including it into the queue as it is now.  I'll grant you that most folks don't give WG very much credit for their programming skills, but then they're here, playing their 'badly designed' game that's lasted for 10 years, so there's that to consider as well.

And, just for the record, it's MOOT.  Mute is something that is silenced.  Moot means it really doesn't apply in the situation, both of these terms are inappropriate to the idea that I said, "No," to your idea for being so salty.  That term you are looking for would be, "Out of spite."

Though honestly, I figured I'd get another salty reply from you for that.

It's not a bad idea, OP, honestly.  However, I have a feeling that WG has already decided that it won't get isolated treatment and has done so out of consideration for the questions I expressed as to what isolating it might do to the Random Standard Queue participation.  I'm guessing that waiting in the Random Queue and getting a Grand Battle once in a while while having to play in standard Pubs is what WG considers the "price" of admission.

Not mad and yes, I was jerking your chain a little bit.  Mostly out of the idea that you did appear to be easy to trigger.  That thicker skin I suggested?  Probably not a bad idea if you're going to float ideas in this forum.  Believe me, I'm TAME compared to a lot of folks around here.  I will be honest with you at all times, though.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

VooDooKobra #17 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 21:09

Major

• Players
  • 10246 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2
OP, while I get what you are asking for,  I have to wonder how practical. it would be.  There is an unknown amount of players that would want to play those modes exclusively.  This could go one of two ways,  enough people use it and there is no issue or very few people want this and queue times shoot up for people unchecking standard battles.

Muskalopius #18 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 21:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

These right here are why I had the title in a question form. I'm looking to converse, not argue.

"How would your idea affect queues at tier X, do you suppose?  What sort of drawbacks might there be in making such a function?  Would you literally be emptying the tier X queue?  Is it at all possible that WG didn't separate the Grand Battles from the rest of the queue in response to having already considered the questions I am asking now?"

"If WG thought that these battles should be a completely separate function, they probably would have done it instead of including it into the queue as it is now.  I'll grant you that most folks don't give WG very much credit for their programming skills, but then they're here, playing their 'badly designed' game that's lasted for 10 years, so there's that to consider as well."

"However, I have a feeling that WG has already decided that it won't get isolated treatment and has done so out of consideration for the questions I expressed as to what isolating it might do to the Random Standard Queue participation.  I'm guessing that waiting in the Random Queue and getting a Grand Battle once in a while while having to play in standard Pubs is what WG considers the "price" of admission."

As for everything else. Thank you Dunnite, now I know what it means to have skin in the game. I'm sorry I escalated on you. I thought I was getting [edited]back for a simple question-in-statement.

If you may, what does HSYBF mean?

Muskalopius #19 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 22:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4213 battles
  • [STUKA] STUKA

View PostVooDooKobra, on Jan 20 2020 - 21:09, said:

OP, while I get what you are asking for,  I have to wonder how practical. it would be.  There is an unknown amount of players that would want to play those modes exclusively.  This could go one of two ways,  enough people use it and there is no issue or very few people want this and queue times shoot up for people unchecking standard battles.

So there was a time when standard battles could be unchecked but they enforced standard battles to alleviate queue times? I can understand this, people want to play the game rather than wait 5 mins each time. And I'm sure splitting the community is another issue too feeding into queue time debates. Personally, I'm willing to see how bad a queue time would be if I only queued for the game modes I want to play in that moment but I can't because I'm forced to play a certain game mode to keep queue times down and the community together.

dunniteowl #20 Posted Jan 20 2020 - 22:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Hope to See You on the Battle Field!

It's my own creation and has sort of started to 'catch on' over time.

Hang in there, man.  Who knows, maybe we can get WG to at least give Isolated Game Modes an addition in the form of Grand Battles a la Ranked and Team Battles.  Those are beyond my pale as I haven't reached up that high in tiers, though I would certainly like to give them a go.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users