Major

• Players
  • 10326 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

View PostSpeed_Metal, on Jan 27 2020 - 03:06, said:

Fair and balanced Match Maker update:

32 games, 9 wins...23 losses....14 blowout losses in a row

Such is life for even posting here.

and that could still happen with a balanced MM since this is a single death game

Klaatu_Nicto #23 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 20:07

Major

• Players
  • 44076 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Jan 26 2020 - 10:32, said:

I didn't take it as an insult.

I don't think it was confirmation bias which made me start having some of the thoughts I started having in 2014 or 15. That was when I started noticing team quality was declining and led me to post thoughts such as "it's not about which team is better, it's now about which team is less worse."

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 27 2020 - 01:09, said:

Whether or not the quality of players has declined is immaterial to the issue of steamrolls. Steamrolls are not based on or caused by player quality or even by differences between the teams. The fundamental cause of steamrolls is single-death-per-battle which means that even if your hypothesis is true, even if the average player skill has declined over the years, that in no way indicates an increase in the number of steamrolls. There is no relationship between average-player-skill and the number of steamrolls in the game, the percentage of steamrolls has always been about the same up to this day, which is because steamrolls are caused by single-death-per-battle.

The greatly increasing number of battles like this one is why had started having that thought. This one lasted about four minutes. This was before I changed my name.

Spoiler

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto, Jan 27 2020 - 20:13.

ProfessionalFinn #24 Posted Jan 27 2020 - 21:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 32048 battles

View PostSpeed_Metal, on Jan 24 2020 - 02:29, said:

I'm very frustrated...I had a decent day going, doing well and winning more than I lost. Then I got put into 8 blowout losses in a row. Games not lasting 5 minutes with half the team dead in under 3 minutes. It doesn't matter how well you play, you lose over and over and over. I'm not a great or even good player but I am fair. This is getting ridiculous. 90% of my days start with 4 losses in 5 games, all blowouts. I realize I can lose and I have no issue with that but 8 blowouts in a row...something doesn't seem right. Any assistance in understanding how or why this happens would be appreciated.

No, MM is not broken.  

Pipinghot #25 Posted Jan 29 2020 - 07:38

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Jan 27 2020 - 14:07, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 27 2020 - 01:09, said:

Whether or not the quality of players has declined is immaterial to the issue of steamrolls. Steamrolls are not based on or caused by player quality or even by differences between the teams. The fundamental cause of steamrolls is single-death-per-battle which means that even if your hypothesis is true, even if the average player skill has declined over the years, that in no way indicates an increase in the number of steamrolls. There is no relationship between average-player-skill and the number of steamrolls in the game, the percentage of steamrolls has always been about the same up to this day, which is because steamrolls are caused by single-death-per-battle.

The greatly increasing number of battles like this one is why had started having that thought. This one lasted about four minutes. This was before I changed my name.

If you were willing to do the work of tracking your data you would see that there is decidedly not a "greatly increasing" number of battles like that. You're definitely being attacked by confirmation bias.

Pipinghot #26 Posted Jan 29 2020 - 07:44

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSpeed_Metal, on Jan 27 2020 - 05:06, said:

Fair and balanced Match Maker update:

32 games, 9 wins...23 losses....14 blowout losses in a row

Such is life for even posting here.

You may not like it, but the MM is "Fair and balanced", you have the win rate that you have earned by your contributions to your teams.

Your data very clearly tells the story of someone who doesn't contribute much to his teams, and as a consequence your bad days are going to be worse than most people's bad days. If you want to win more, and if you want to have fewer and shorter losing streaks, then you're going to have to work at getting better.

On the other hand, if you don't want to get better that's okay too. This is a game and you should enjoy it however you want to enjoy it. If you don't care that your performance is demonstrably below average that's your business, it's not my place to tell you how you should play a game. But if you are unhappy with your win rate then the only solution to improving your win rate (and your losing streaks) is for you to do the work necessary to improve. It is not the game's fault, or the MM's fault that you have that win rate and you have days like that, it's all about the decisions you make and taking responsibility for your choices.

Steelers39 #27 Posted Jan 29 2020 - 21:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 22734 battles

The match making favors the coiners to keep them happy and spending the rest are the meat

Pipinghot #28 Posted Jan 30 2020 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSteelers39, on Jan 29 2020 - 15:17, said:

The match making favors the coiners to keep them happy and spending the rest are the meat

That's hilariously wrong.

Also tagged with match maker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users