Map Compass East West South North Right Left

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #21 Posted Feb 01 2020 - 05:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View Postmrmojo, on Jan 31 2020 - 21:37, said:

Note that I said, ask them to indicate east and west, not north.

Umm. east is the sunrise and west is the sunset.  California is the West side of the US and the Eastern Seaboard or East coast is called that for a reason.

Again, how could folks NOT KNOW this?

OvO

mrmojo #22 Posted Feb 01 2020 - 05:12

Major

• Players
  • 20503 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
Ever watched the movie The Green Berets?

dunniteowl #23 Posted Feb 01 2020 - 05:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View Postmrmojo, on Jan 31 2020 - 22:12, said:

Ever watched the movie The Green Berets?

Yeah, like a million years ago when it was at the Drive In.

I already mentioned some folks have trouble orienting themselves in the real world.  However, it's by no means 'most' people.  I can believe younger folks under 30 who've grown up never holding a paper map in their hands and instead following their little indicator on their phones might have trouble if they never went camping, hiking or took regular long trips, but beyond that...  The whole NEWS (that's North, East, West, South) thing is part of ANY standard Geography and/or Social Studies class.  It's truly NOT rocket science.

If folks don't at least know this stuff then they fell asleep in class.  Knowing it and applying it, I will grant is not always easy, but folks should KNOW which way North, East, West and South are just by LOOKING at a map.  I consider that a given in a modern technological society that they at least TEACH this stuff before you get past the 6th grade.

I could be wrong, I graduated in 1977, so...

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

(proud product of public education with a 4.0)

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 01 2020 - 05:18.

SquishySupreme #24 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 21:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4110 battles

"SPG at A2" means a lot more than clicking on the map 20x because you are hyperactive.  Map coordinates work.

KiltedAmerican #25 Posted Feb 03 2020 - 19:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 31 2020 - 23:17, said:

Yeah, like a million years ago when it was at the Drive In.

I already mentioned some folks have trouble orienting themselves in the real world.  However, it's by no means 'most' people.  I can believe younger folks under 30 who've grown up never holding a paper map in their hands and instead following their little indicator on their phones might have trouble if they never went camping, hiking or took regular long trips, but beyond that...  The whole NEWS (that's North, East, West, South) thing is part of ANY standard Geography and/or Social Studies class.  It's truly NOT rocket science.

If folks don't at least know this stuff then they fell asleep in class.  Knowing it and applying it, I will grant is not always easy, but folks should KNOW which way North, East, West and South are just by LOOKING at a map.  I consider that a given in a modern technological society that they at least TEACH this stuff before you get past the 6th grade.

I could be wrong, I graduated in 1977, so...

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

(proud product of public education with a 4.0)

Same, +1

Marines, Armies, and state/provincial/national polizei of most nations are taught how to read a map and navigate accordingly - sad that ordinary folks in "technologically advanced" nations fail to appreciate such a basic skill.

Technology fails more often than human memory

Edited by KiltedAmerican, Feb 07 2020 - 00:29.

Also tagged with Map, Compass, East, West, South, North, Right, Left

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users