maps lower tiers rotation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ichadwick #1 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 17:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 5525 battles
  • [1_GCA] 1_GCA

I and many of my online friends like to play lower tier tanks (1-4). We like the pace, and the vehicles. I have >100 vehicles int he garage, 80% of them T1-3. 

But the map rotation in T1-3 is abysmal: the three same maps over and over and over and over and over. Sometimes I play the same map three times in a row. Newcomers can't help but feel discouraged if this is all they see.

It has become boring and stale to play WoT. I can't be bothered to buy anything, including premium accounts or premium vehicles, because I know the maps won't change.  I would really like to see an enhanced selection of maps for these tiers. It would certainly encourage me and others to play more often and likely to upgrade or buy vehicles and subscribe to premium services if the map rotation was better.

I've read comments where people complain about "seal clubbers" at lower tiers. I've not encountered many, but those few I have seen, are driving the same slower, less-powerful and weaker vehicles as I am, so they're not really a great threat. And they don't get so many experience points from a battle to make it a worthwhile habit. I'm sure they get as quickly  bored with the same three maps as the rest of us.

It doesn't take a player long to get to know the maps, so even modestly skilled players learn where to go, and where the best sniper platforms are. A better map rotation would give everyone more opportunity to explore and discover, while making it more interesting for everyone.

Please consider making improvements to the map rotation at lower tiers.

Ironclad73 #2 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 18:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 23879 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

That's always been a problem in the bottom tiers I guess it is another way use to they drive people up in tiers.

At least Mittengard is gone.

GWyatt #3 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4363 battles
  • [VAN] VAN
You do know that the reason for only a few maps at low tiers is to not overwhelm new players with too much, all at once. Three, maybe four maps is about all a new player can handle learning, given all the other aspects of the game they must learn to be able to play. As you move up tiers, you get more maps.

VonWeber #4 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 19:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10986 battles

View PostGWyatt, on Feb 02 2020 - 11:33, said:

You do know that the reason for only a few maps at low tiers is to not overwhelm new players with too much, all at once. Three, maybe four maps is about all a new player can handle learning, given all the other aspects of the game they must learn to be able to play. As you move up tiers, you get more maps.

:B So the map rotation should be based on games played and not tier of AFV. Where's the profit for WG in that?

Omega_Weapon #5 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 20:11

Major

• Players
  • 54720 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
As GWyatt said, they don't want too many low tier maps since the variety could slow the learning of new players. I don't feel 3 is enough though because it does definitely get stale fast. I'd say 5 maps would be a good number for tier 1 to 3 tanks. They need a desert map and a winter map added into the current mix.

Jolly33 #6 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 20:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45686 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostIronclad73, on Feb 02 2020 - 12:19, said:

That's always been a problem in the bottom tiers I guess it is another way use to they drive people up in tiers.

At least Mittengard is gone.

No, it has not always been a problem with low tiers.  It was a conscious decision by WG to reduce the number of maps at low tiers in order to improve the newcomer experience.

Sorry OP.  Suck it up or move on up to tiers 4-6 where map rotation is plentiful.  Tiers 1-3 are a cesspool of incompetence, chaos, and seal clubbers (like you).

dunniteowl #7 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 20:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Hah hah, Seal Clubber.  That's a riot.  I'm thinking Seal Clubber should have higher stats attached to it, regardless of join date.

OP, I'd like to see more maps at ALL tiers, but battle count is NOT the metric to use.  Typically NEW players are in tiers 1-3 and thus, they have a reduced set of maps so that they can focus on learning HOW to play instead of all the 'good spots' on the plethora of maps that are available at higher tiers.

I think at tier 2 and 3, I have seen Abbey, Province, Himmelsdorf, Redshire and Ruinberg.  At tier 3, I have seen all those and also Malinovka, Prokharovka, Airfield, Murovanka and even Steppes.  So if you want more maps, play tier 3 more.  

If you like the lower tiers due to the pace, then you have to accept the "environment" of your choice to remain in the lower tiers.  Considering that there are some maps you will NEVER see unless you play tiers 8 to 10, it seems normal that there might be limits on the maps you'd see at a given tier.  The lower the tiers, the less maps you SHOULD expect to see.

That said, I'd like to (along with pretty much everyone else in the game) see More Maps in general.  Some folks will tell you that they should be able to just crank out a map in a couple of hours, ready to rock.  Trust me, those are people that have no idea what's involved in making a map for a game like this. I think, at this point, the only way to make more maps available without overloading the Map Team would be to come up with a new map design paradigm.

I have ideas in this regard (based on some of my map making experiences, both analog and digital) that I think might be able to make that paradigm shift possible.  I'm still working on the 'presentation' aspect of it.  If I can make it logical and provide a reasonable explanation of it, I'll have a better idea as to whether or not it could be done.  There are a LOT of variables and considerations to work out before I feel it would be worth presenting.

Maps are not as easy as some folks think.  It's not super hard to do in terms of difficulty of applications, however it is on the higher end of the scale than the lower.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 02 2020 - 20:38.

ichadwick #8 Posted Feb 02 2020 - 23:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 5525 battles
  • [1_GCA] 1_GCA

View PostGWyatt, on Feb 02 2020 - 12:33, said:

I think players are a lot smarter and more competent than that, and can adapt and learn how and where to play quite easily. A single evening of play is probably all anyone needs to get a basic grip on the maps, maybe less at lower tiers. 

01LT #9 Posted Feb 04 2020 - 02:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 37923 battles
BETTER MAPS FOR ALL.

Also tagged with maps, lower tiers, rotation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users