Suggestion to make arty not target one player

Artillery Balance

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Loli_Mimi #1 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13866 battles

One of the worst things about artillery is constant focusing, sometimes you get targeted for the entire match and lose 80%-100% of your HP JUST to artillery.

As the title reads, why not make arty shells less effective on tanks that have already been hit, make it so that for X percent time per tier their damage and/or stun are reduced by a Y percent. This would make arty players less likely to focus one player and reward them for spreading out their damage and stun.

We also have a system similar to this for stunning, but I think this is ineffective in artillery targeting, either the SPG doesn't care and still fires or they just have to wait a few seconds to stun you AGAIN with full damage equal to their previous shot. 

This nerf may be also be compensated by some buff or no buff at all if it seems necessary.

I also think this change may help artillery contribute more to the battle by forcing more of the enemy tanks to "waste" their repair and aid kits while helping individual player experiences in battle.

WhineMaker #2 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:10

Major

• Players
  • 41317 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

Make yourself a more difficult target to hit... :ohmy:

..or better yet, go play WoT Blitz  for all the arty free games you can handle... :arta:

Wolffe_Commander #3 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6005 battles
  • [H_F] H_F

dont give the arty a reason to get focused. 

SIMPLE

Gbray #4 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43014 battles
How bout hiding better? Arty will stay in the game. Get used to it

I_QQ_4_U #5 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:29

Major

• -Players-
  • 25192 battles
Yeah, invisible tanks and auto(re)loaders as well, and high RoF tanks and tanks that have high alpha and tanks that have a lot of armour when shooting someone with no armour and....

Kenshin2kx #6 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 20504 battles

Make arty closer to what it is in actual use, or rather how it was used in WW2 to say, the late 60's ... an area denial weapon.  Simply put, make the targeting coordinate based instead of directly aimed.  A close approximation would be to give a single arty player control of a battery of off map artillery ... this would solve the issue of super gravity as an awkward expedient for shell arc ... also the battery matrix would introduce the essence of artillery bombardment ... which boils down to systematic aerial coverage by way of applied shot pattern per multiple simultaneous firing of cannon coordinated to a focused area.

Jryder #7 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14117 battles
Remove arty-problem solved

dunniteowl #8 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Yeah, NO.  Unless you are willing to do that for ALL units, this is another craptastic idea that seeks to destroy one class over all the others.

You get focused by a HVY tank, make it's shells less accurate/damaging as it hits each time.  Make them that way.  Oh, and while you're at it, do that for MEDs, TDs and LTs, too.  Unless, for some reason, you don't think you'd like those kind of mechanics?  I mean, if we're trying to be fair here, then you'd want that for all tanks, which would include each one you pilot, no matter what it is, right?

Otherwise, this is a crap idea from someone who can't properly deal with one class in a game that was designed with all those classes that are now in it.

If you cannot apply those kinds of mechanics to ANY tank that focuses on a single target then it's a crap idea.  Come to think, though, if you DID propose this as a Across-the-Classes Idea, I'm pretty sure you'd get an even more negative response.

Sorry, this is a No vote for this one.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 09 2020 - 00:38.

xXTheGameAceXx #9 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13002 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_
That would be ridiculously complicated and annoying. As someone who's played artillery quite a bit before, sometimes it's just strategically the best option, or even your only option to target a single person. Part of why some tanks are called "arty magnets". If you really want a solution for obnoxious artillery, why not advocate for something like limiting to only one or two artillery per match, instead of three? I think the only reason they may not ever do that is because it could potentially increase MM time to find a match.

jeb2 #10 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 55390 battles
  • [HU] HU

When I play arty, I will indeed prioritize certain targets and stay on them.

This happens when a tank is spotted in a known position that is also especially dangerous to my allies.  There are several well-known spots on various maps where little dips or bushy rocks provide great cover and/or hull-down positions where direct fire cannot do well.

If a tank stays in one, especially in a tank that well fits that spot, I will fire repeatedly at them.  They can accept the punishment, depending on RNG/armor/HPs to make it worth their while, or they can displace.

Their call.

NightmareMk9 #11 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 00:45

Major

• Players
  • 36669 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

I got to kill a certain someone with my tier 10 Wheelie yesterday.  Lost the battle but 100% worth it to kill the arty SUPER FAN BOI.

I sent him a message after the game, but no reply...

SawUcomin #12 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 01:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostLoli_Mimi, on Feb 09 2020 - 00:07, said:

One of the worst things about artillery is constant focusing, sometimes you get targeted for the entire match and lose 80%-100% of your HP JUST to artillery.

As the title reads, why not make arty shells less effective on tanks that have already been hit, make it so that for X percent time per tier their damage and/or stun are reduced by a Y percent. This would make arty players less likely to focus one player and reward them for spreading out their damage and stun.

We also have a system similar to this for stunning, but I think this is ineffective in artillery targeting, either the SPG doesn't care and still fires or they just have to wait a few seconds to stun you AGAIN with full damage equal to their previous shot. 

This nerf may be also be compensated by some buff or no buff at all if it seems necessary.

I also think this change may help artillery contribute more to the battle by forcing more of the enemy tanks to "waste" their repair and aid kits while helping individual player experiences in battle.

No, the worst thing is the whiners in and out of the forums.

Wot has nerfed them to the point of dull, boring, annoying and not worth playing!

Time to grow a pair!

The problem is you, not the SPG's

Edited by SawUcomin, Feb 09 2020 - 01:02.

SawUcomin #13 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 01:03

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 25 battles

View PostNightmareMk9, on Feb 09 2020 - 00:45, said:

I got to kill a certain someone with my tier 10 Wheelie yesterday.  Lost the battle but 100% worth it to kill the arty SUPER FAN BOI.

WOW, a 0 hero!

The_Pink_Panther #14 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 01:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 86 battles
  • [PPSAG] PPSAG

View PostLoli_Mimi, on Feb 08 2020 - 17:07, said:

NOPE, absolutely not.  Why is it any different than say an unseen tank destroyer sitting out there sniping your health away or shot away by an out of control clown car.  I mean, let's overlook the obvious and blame everything wrong in this game on arty.  As an avid arty player, when I play something other than arty, my biggest problem(s) are tank destroyers and clown cars.  I have very few problems with being targeted by arty.  Yes, it happens but nowhere near the scale you are trying to convince everyone that it happens to you,  Yet, it's arty's fault that you get targeted.  No, it isn't, they are simply doing their part to win, lose, or draw, depending on what happens in the match. 

The_Pink_Panther #15 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 01:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 86 battles
  • [PPSAG] PPSAG

View PostNightmareMk9, on Feb 08 2020 - 17:45, said:

Depending on what was in the message, I'd report you for harassment.

FrozenKemp #16 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 01:49

Major

• Players
  • 55968 battles

View PostKenshin2kx, on Feb 08 2020 - 18:31, said:

Make arty closer to what it is in actual use, or rather how it was used in WW2 to say, the late 60's ... an area denial weapon.  Simply put, make the targeting coordinate based instead of directly aimed.  A close approximation would be to give a single arty player control of a battery of off map artillery ... this would solve the issue of super gravity as an awkward expedient for shell arc ... also the battery matrix would introduce the essence of artillery bombardment ... which boils down to systematic aerial coverage by way of applied shot pattern per multiple simultaneous firing of cannon coordinated to a focused area.

So you want to make arty hit a larger area?

I'm sure nothing will go wrong with that...

Bavor #17 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 02:01

Major

• Players
  • 35913 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostWolffe_Commander, on Feb 08 2020 - 18:18, said:

dont give the arty a reason to get focused. 

SIMPLE

One of the main reasons players get focused is because they have above average stats of they use the anonymizer.  I've had arty playing teammates in many battles say they focus players using the anonymizer.  Many players on the forums here and elsewhere say that when they are playing arty that they focus players who have above average stats or are in top clans.  So basically you are saying players should bot for 25,000+ battles to put their stats so low that arty thinks that they are bots.  Nice of you to encourage players to violate the EULA.

Smockj #18 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 02:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 17324 battles

Are you staying lit?

Are you in the same position where arty can hit you.

These are the two main reasons why I hit the same tank again and again.

Battles are over so fast these days I am not going to lose damage and waste a shot at the last known position, I shoot at what is lit and in a place I can hit.

it's really simple.

turboo #19 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 02:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22753 battles
  • [GNZU] GNZU
Your arty is doing the exact same thing to one of reds poor players. You hope.  

I_QQ_4_U #20 Posted Feb 09 2020 - 02:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 25192 battles

View PostBavor, on Feb 09 2020 - 02:01, said:

One of the main reasons players get focused is because they have above average stats of they use the anonymizer. 

By far the main reason people get focused by arty is because they're lit and easy to hit.

Also tagged with Artillery, Balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users