Newb question ,

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

odin909 #1 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 22:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1561 battles

Hey kinda new

When in battle  , if my whole team goes say left and leaves the right undefended  whats the best thing to do ?  Alot of the time i cover the undefended side ,  as u can guess with not much success .   Or do i follow along and let the other team just flank us ?     I do ask for help and all that .  

Collapsed_Eigenfunction #2 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 27862 battles
go along with the team and do as much damage as you can, the game is most likely lost anyways

highex #3 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26070 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

there are youtube videos that answer that better than i can.

but.,...

it is situational

are you in a fast firing td with good camo? 

do you have good gun depression over a ridge?

can you shoot a bunch of reds and run away?

Wanderjar #4 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30477 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
generally you want to stay with the lemming train and win your flank, then either continue to press forward or fall back and defend after you win that flank. The tank you are playing influences that decision a bit but generally you want to assist in the push and make sure you win the side with minimal losses. that gives you the power to make more decisions and to get the W or to wrack up more damage.

A couple exceptions to this are : exceptional camo TDs (Like the UDES 3, RHM and t67) and exceptional hulldown tanks (T30, is7 Conq/SC etc)

if you are in a medium you stay with the crowd always. they excel in wolfpacks and not solo. you can push a flank with one if you have support but never hold a flank. the best you can do in a med is delay and fall back

View Postodin909, on Feb 14 2020 - 15:55, said:

Hey kinda new

When in battle  , if my whole team goes say left and leaves the right undefended  whats the best thing to do ?  Alot of the time i cover the undefended side ,  as u can guess with not much success .   Or do i follow along and let the other team just flank us ?     I do ask for help and all that .  

Kramah313 #5 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5825 battles

This has been the hardest thing for me to learn so far. Don’t try to be the hero. Like said above if you have a tank that can abuse camo or hull down and there’s maybe one or two others, set up in a defensive position so you can hit the other team when they push. Lemming trains can work if the bulk of the team pushes through the outnumbered enemies, you just have to adjust to your team’s strategy instead of fighting against it. In this game I’ve found a bad strategy is better than no strategy if everyone commits to it. 

That said, I still screw this up a LOT. 

dunniteowl #6 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Just look at this question from a logical and logistical standpoint.

You see EVERYONE go in one direction.  You have to choose.

Does it make MORE Sense to go out by yourself to defend a completely empty flank BY YOURSELF or Not?

If you do go by yourself, you will be exactly that.  By Your Self.

What do you suppose the odds are the the Other Team was as dumb as your team and sent everybody in the same direction?  50%?  25%?  10%?  Let's be generous and call it 10%.  This means you are 90% likely to run into anywhere from 3 to 6 Red Team.

What do you suppose the odds are of coming out of that encounter remotely okay?  05%?  03%?  .1%?

You will have no support at all from your team.  You will be completely alone against whomever you meet.

Now, let's say you went with Everyone Else.  No matter how stupid the plan might be, there really is Safety in Numbers.  If you go with the group, then when your cap is being sat upon by the other team, it is Very Likely that more than two or three units will realize that they will have to go back and defend cap.  If for no other reason than that being shot in the back isn't a winning plan.

This tactic (if you can call it one) is called A Lemming Train.  The reason the Lemming Train rarely works is this:  The moment most folks meet ANY resistance at all, they come to a complete and full stop.  A Lemming Train can ONLY work if everyone Keeps Going.  This pretty much Never Happens.

Even so, you stand a better chance of doing some damage to the other team if you stick with the Lemming Train.  Just try not to be the poor SoB that is out front and if you're in the back, make sure it's not too far in the back.

Most of the time when you see a Lemming Train, you can probably chalk the game up as a loss.  That doesn't mean don't do your best.  Just don't have too much expectation of success.  At best you might be able to farm some damage while the Red Team farms your team.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

SymbiosisBC #7 Posted Feb 14 2020 - 23:52

Major

• Players
  • 21731 battles

View PostWanderjar, on Feb 14 2020 - 15:27, said:

generally you want to stay with the lemming train and win your flank, then either continue to press forward or fall back and defend after you win that flank. The tank you are playing influences that decision a bit but generally you want to assist in the push and make sure you win the side with minimal losses. that gives you the power to make more decisions and to get the W or to wrack up more damage.

A couple exceptions to this are : exceptional camo TDs (Like the UDES 3, RHM and t67) and exceptional hulldown tanks (T30, is7 Conq/SC etc)

if you are in a medium you stay with the crowd always. they excel in wolfpacks and not solo. you can push a flank with one if you have support but never hold a flank. the best you can do in a med is delay and fall back

This ↑

Also, if trying to defend the rear of an advancing lemming train, take into account your tank's speed *and* available close cover if an enemy LT or scouting TD starts probing your, er, team's rear end.  Shoot'n'scoot can be a very successful—and rewarding—tactic when keeping eyes on the enemy when they realize your team's going full lemming.

Rule #1 while doing this, though — stay ALIVE. Your lemming team can still win if they have good knowledge of their rear end.

SKurj #8 Posted Feb 15 2020 - 18:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14881 battles
follow the lemmings when you see this happening otherwise you will get frustrated and angry...  i don't take my own advice very well...  

odin909 #9 Posted Feb 15 2020 - 18:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1561 battles
ok i got it, thanx guys,  it just always annoys me with an open flank , but  like u said  i do die alone, so i will follow the group.    I get the tactics u describe .   

dunniteowl #10 Posted Feb 16 2020 - 00:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View Postodin909, on Feb 15 2020 - 11:44, said:

ok i got it, thanx guys,  it just always annoys me with an open flank , but  like u said  i do die alone, so i will follow the group.    I get the tactics u describe .   

It took me about ten times watching it happen and ignoring them to go 'defend' that empty side.  It never worked out for me.  At that point, I decided I might as well go down in the company of my team.  Who knows?  Maybe it could change the outcome.

OvO

Peak_Bagger #11 Posted Feb 16 2020 - 17:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20524 battles
  • [-T1B-] -T1B-
One other point to make - please do not be the idiot who rages in chat about the lemming train. Everybody quietly laughs at those guys.

odin909 #12 Posted Feb 16 2020 - 18:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1561 battles
i am not a mad map clicker ,  lol  no worries

DVK9 #13 Posted Feb 16 2020 - 19:27

Captain

• Players
  • 26508 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

I have seen more lemming trains win the flank and then stop and go defensive. wth?

I have watched lemmings stall out because they resort to peek n shoot with 1 heavy. 14 tanks against 1 heavy and they stop the train  to peek n shoot it, thus losing the battle.

I have watched heroic defensive of the uncovered flank by 2 tanks doing exactly what I described above, they held up  the enemies lemming train so ours could win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users