Non-Tankers

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

Poll: Background Survey (2310 members have cast votes)

What is your background with respect to tanks and the game?

1. Mechanised background (319 votes [13.81%])

Percentage of vote: 13.81%

2. Military, other combat arm (308 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. Military, other. (231 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Not military, but I am a tank nut. (823 votes [35.63%])

Percentage of vote: 35.63%

5. Military, tank-enthusiast, just a different branch (174 votes [7.53%])

Percentage of vote: 7.53%

6. None of the above (455 votes [19.70%])

Percentage of vote: 19.70%

Do you play other MMOs?

1. No (845 votes [36.58%])

Percentage of vote: 36.58%

2. Yes (1465 votes [63.42%])

Percentage of vote: 63.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

DarkPhasade #141 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 07:28

Private

• Players
  • 3351 battles
25th Infantry Division (light) Tropic Lightning!

-veteran

Golf_One_Four #142 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 08:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 34950 battles
  • [DAWGZ] DAWGZ

View Postwodt, on Sep 28 2011 - 14:10, said:

TRACKS AINT SHIT DEVIL, GET SOME BOOTS ON THE GROUND.

There's a lot of Cavalry scouts playing this game I noticed. As an X-Cavalry Tanker I gotta give it up to the Cav scouts for their Esprit De Corp. They are the only ones from my old unit who actually made a website for the unit and have reunions after their hair turns grey. Getting together every year from all parts of the country.
Tankers ...not so much.
I remember one night the scouts were given an assignment by the commander to "attack the tanks".
The secret mission was given without the tankers being told.
All the tankers were told was the usual guard practice was in order.
Our unit was in a woodline for the night. All the tanks under German snow. All the trees hidden in the dark except for the snow on their branches. Tankers pulled guard duty by simply taking turns every 4 hours to sit in the commander's cupola with their head out in the cold while the rest of the crew slept in the tank or on the engine cover. (warm slab of steel)
If they saw anyone near the tank it was on. Guns drawn. Passwords exchanged. Incorrect password? - subdue and detain.
Now, the scouts had the password (challenge and pass) obviously, because they were in the same unit as the tankers. (2/2 Cavalry) But their mission was given special orders not to be seen at all. Their specific task was to "Destroy the Tank", which was done symbolically by sneaking up to the right rear fender of the M60-A3 and opening the intercom phone box there then placing an M-16 magazine inside that intercom box and closing the cover. This represented placing a mine on the vehicle.
The commander would check each tank in the morning to see how many tanks in the unit had M-16 mags in their phone boxes.
(by the way the M1 Abrams doesnt have this phone box. It enabled infantry to talk to the crew inside)
One by one those damn Cav scouts planted those magazines into every single tank in the unit and successfully destroyed all the tanks!

Splattimus #143 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 10:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9889 battles
Father was in the RAAF (Stores), Grandfather's and step Grandfather were in the Army (2 general Infantry, One Artillery). Grand Uncles all were in the Services.

Me unfortunately, was born flat footed... Very flat footed. Otherwise I would have followed my Father into the RAAF.

WW2 Nut however. Mainly Aircraft, but tanks, infantry weapons etc also interested me.

Gnasti #144 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 10:21

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 6979 battles
Electrical engineer, 30yrs in the big family and still going...planes are my toy of choice (just touching a wing and the the smell of burnt Kero still excite, especially when it's a bird I've worked on). Still have a soft spot for AFV's though. Brother was an APC grunt.

Intel_NCO #145 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 12:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 14244 battles
  • [321ST] 321ST

View PostValkeiper, on Sep 29 2011 - 00:52, said:

good, it hasn't changed.

It's a joke ... a common one among CSMs. My hat's off to anyone who served or is still serving; I have two sons still serving that just returned from the sandbox (second tour). Both have earned their Bronze Star. Hard not to be a proud Dad. Third son was in the Navy for six years. I guess we are what some would call a military family.

In any case, love the game despite the frustration experienced from some of the issues mentioned so frequently here in various posts. I am no expert player but then again my ego isn't tied up in a video game. I have yet to even platoon up but it's on my list. I also plan on taking the plunge and actually paying for the privilege of playing. I was waiting for the boxed version to show up but it doesn't look like that will happen. Joining a clan is somewhere on the list too but hate to commit to a bunch of folks when I am what most would deem a casual player. Looking forward to seeing lots of you folks in game.

thundermg1 #146 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 12:50

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12163 battles
  • [1VB] 1VB
19Z5MA8

23 years of "Tanking Time", still miss the mud and the sound of gunnery......TT VIII at Graf anyone? Or a long day at range 301?

Golf_One_Four #147 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 13:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 34950 battles
  • [DAWGZ] DAWGZ

View Postthundermg1, on Sep 29 2011 - 12:50, said:

19Z5MA8

23 years of "Tanking Time", still miss the mud and the sound of gunnery......TT VIII at Graf anyone? Or a long day at range 301?

I look back 31 years at Graf with the M60-A1 and A3. They still got wild pigs scaring the hell out of night time ammo guards in the woods behind the range? I drew my 45 on one but didnt shoot it because I climbed up on top of 6 feet of ammunition crates.
Damn thing wouldn't leave. They aint scared of humans, man.
I love the way the A-10's would make their runs over our heads. Brrrruuuup! BrrrruuuUUUUP!
That A-10 isnt a plane. Someone made a gun SO awesome that he just stepped back and said, "This shit needs to fly!"
Course they told him, "You can't make a gun fly!"
And he said, "Screw you! I will strap a PLANE to this GUN!"
And everyone is like, "You mean strap the gun to a plane?"
The creator of the gun said, "No man, the plane is an ACCESSORY!"
And then everybody's minds were blown. Like, there was some serious mind blowing goin on there. Ears were bleeding.

Bulldog02 #148 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 13:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
Yeah, I miss TT VIII, and Table XII. Don't remember 301 but do remember 112. I also miss the three weeks we used to spend in Hohenfels sometimes, a b***h in the winter, but not so bad in the middle spring and early fall. I remember bi**hing about it while I was out there, but now come to realize it probably was some of the best times I've ever had. Anyone else remember NTC?? I do miss the Mission, the people and the toys, but definitely do not miss the BS.

Bulldog02 #149 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 13:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
Golf one four, you were on top of the ammo crates, try being in one of those little wood guard shacks at the entrances to the ranges, and have one come up with the piglets and decide to scratch their sides on the shacks...You are right, they are not afraid of humans, or much of anything else. Used to listen to the MLRS rockets go overhead, and the impact of the Arty when they fired.

SayakoHimesama #150 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 15:33

Private

• Players
  • 5036 battles
My old man(Dad) was in the army reserves and a ridiculously good shot with a .50cal browning.  I'm not a miltary girl, though I did apply to the Australian Defense forces when I was a bit younger.  Did well in the aptitude testing but my High School results let me down for what I was after, and apparently I'd had bilateral hearing loss... that part wasn't true however, just that the hearing test booth thingy at the JOES day was second rate, and I felt decidedly uncomfortable in it.

I play World of Tanks because I think it would be quite fun to go rolling around in an armored monster, just a pity females in Australia aren't allowed to be assigned to a dangerous job like that, so WoT allows me to better imagine what it could be like.  I also have friends who play and it's just fun to blow things up sometimes, especially if I'm having a bad day or need to release pent-up anger and frustration ^^;

Golf_One_Four #151 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 16:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 34950 battles
  • [DAWGZ] DAWGZ

View PostSayakoHimesama, on Sep 29 2011 - 15:33, said:

I play World of Tanks because I think it would be quite fun to go rolling around in an armored monster, just a pity females in Australia aren't allowed to be assigned to a dangerous job like that, so WoT allows me to better imagine what it could be like.  I also have friends who play and it's just fun to blow things up sometimes, especially if I'm having a bad day or need to release pent-up anger and frustration ^^;

Always wondered what it would be like to have a female crewmember, back in the day when I was a tanker.
Probably smell better on training maneuvers when we didnt sleep anywhere but inside the tank for several days straight. Sometimes two weeks at a run. I dont know why they rule out women, Sayako. You said it was because it was dangerous? *shrugs*
It is fun rolling around in an armored monster, as you said, Sayako. In Germany they come out of their houses to watch the tanks roll thru town. No matter what hour of the day or night. And they even cheered. Sortof a rock-star rush.
The army pays them for whatever we damage to the tune of seven times the value of whatever was destroyed. If we ran over a chicken, for instance, the USA "manuever-damage-fund" paid the Germans for the next 7 chickens and all the eggs those chickens would lay in a lifetime.
So we would actually see farmers out in the fields waving us over to their crops.
And if we parked in their back yards overnite they brought us wine and fruit.
You think I'm joking? LOL. Nope. All true. Though the gift-giving had limits when we wanted their daughters. Nope. Not sure you would tolerate some of the things we did on maneuvers. Going to the bathroom would be difficult for you. We would use bottles inside the tank when we weren't allowed to stop. That's called a "Thunder-Run".
Thunder-Runs were authenticated from commanders and given specific destinations (checkpoints) where we could go in a straight line from point A to point B and not stop and crush everything along the way. Drivers liked to hear "Thunder-Run" being called out on the radio. We had to train as if it was the real thing. Stoplights have no place in war for tanks.
Neither do streets. Thunder-Runs were planned ahead by the tacticians so that we did not cross thru populated areas though. But it was full-throttle and as much fun as you can imagine, Sayako.
Although the gunner never had much fun because he didnt have any windows to watch what went on outside the tank and no hatch to see out of. So he just sat in there and groaned wduring Thunder-Runs, getting his head bashed around with unexpected jolts and heavy hull-hitting dips.
But when we went to the gunnery range the gunner got his payback. We all humped his ammo and he was the true rockstar of the tank crew then.
anywayzz.... hope to catch you in battle.
I might hit on you.... ;)

IronRanger38 #152 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 16:26

Private

• Players
  • 1259 battles
  • [1-185] 1-185
19K, just got M1A1 SA. Nice optics, but more electronics to break.

Vann_the_Red #153 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18186 battles
  • [BURDY] BURDY
To clarify my responses, I'm a life-long military history nut, but never served.

I have played various MMOGs since the mid-90s, but this is my first PvP experience.

Kruis #154 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 16:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 4135 battles
  • [RDDT7] RDDT7
Lowly deckie on the USCGC Dallas

And anyone who says that the USCG aren't real soldiers, you can go soak your heads. Look at our involvement in The Revolutionary War, The Civil War, WWI, WWII (Specifically Douglas Munro), Vietnam(Operation Sea Lords, Operation Swift Raider), Korea, Iraqi Freedom (Ground and float units), first responders to 9/11 etc.

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some, but we serve our country in wartime and peacetime, just as much, if not more than, any other branch. I don't bash on Jarheads, the swarm, the lounge chair soldiers, or squidies. Don't bash on us puddle pirates.

Beskar #155 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6709 battles
  • [IC] IC
Retired Military, started army, broke my shoulder on a jump, lucky enough to transfer to the AF missing the medical by inches, rifted thank you mr clinton, back to the army as combat engineers, and to retirement, gawd what a D7 dozer could do to a light tank lol.

DurTdaiperz #156 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 18:03

Private

• Players
  • 2075 battles
Army... 88M (truck driver) and 11B crunchy here.

@KyleRees #157 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 18:10

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostDurTdaiperz, on Sep 29 2011 - 18:03, said:

Army... 88M (truck driver) and 11B crunchy here.

11b, Also known as Hatchplugs to us wrench jockeys

<---M1A1 Abrams Systems Maintainer  63A as it was known.  

Stationed Hohenfels Germany, where I did not get to work on my beloved tank and got stuck with M113s.  We called them BMPs in the OPFOR.

Chopa #158 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 18:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16588 battles
Three years British Army (Infantry) 1973-76.

I also got to play with some WW2 vehicles courtesy of a friend who was into the restoration game. He kept 2 Shermans on his farm in East Anglia.....Four gallons to the mile   :blink:  and helped with stubborn rolling-roadblocks at Duxford and Bovington.

Now I play some online MMO's such as Lord of the Rings Online

And some online combat games such as:
This...WoT
Mount and Blade Warband, http://www.game-deba...=433&game=Mount and Blade: Warband and its mod cRPG/Strategus http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3YqMDSP-pVg which takes a series of battles, very similar to WoT, and puts them into an ongoing strategic setting.
IL2 1946 http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded
Cliffs of Dover http://www.game-deba...d=651&game=IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
Rise of Flight http://www.game-deba...d=331&game=Rise of Flight
ArmaII http://www.game-deba...d=482&game=Arma II: Operation Arrowhead
Red Orchestra, especially the Darkest Hour (Normandy) and Mare Nostrum (Western Desert) mods.

Also some online wargames:
Hearts of Iron III http://www.game-deba...294&game=Hearts of Iron III
And my old favourite, the classic "Close Combat" series, very dated now but still an awesome example of what a talented community of modders and mapmakers can make of a commercial release. http://en.wikipedia....e_Combat_series

P.S. Quick question for Chiefy, or anyone who has been to Aberdeen Proving Ground recently: I finally have the chance to get there  when there is no snow blanketing the ground or 911 paranoia locking the place down. I understand that many of the exhibits are in process of relocating to Benning, so is it still worth the trip?

M_GEEZY #159 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 20:16

Private

• Players
  • 4361 battles
  • [USABO] USABO

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Sep 28 2011 - 23:22, said:

Lulworth? I met one of your predecessors there. What's your best time in the loader's simulator?

Start Team Leaders course in a few weeks.... Will let you know after I get to the LDTs!

M_GEEZY #160 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 20:17

Private

• Players
  • 4361 battles
  • [USABO] USABO

View PostNodbugger, on Sep 28 2011 - 23:29, said:

I had your British counterpart as my Black6 at the Armor school last winter.

Razor is a great mate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

antikondor