Tier 9 T-54 losing credits. Is this normal?

Credits Tier 9 Russian Medium

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

ddraig_goch_ #1 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 21:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9379 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH

Burning thru the Chinese new year 5x's in the T-54. I'm doing around a 7 place finish and not using premium shells. and if i didn't have days of premium,I would be losing money when scoring over 1000 hp. As it is for maximizing the 5x's i am also using food and the best i can hope for is breaking even. I haven't played much above tier 8 but i could swear i make more at low tiers than here.  Is this normal and is it worse at Tier 10?

I am credit too poor to buy many tier 10's this will certainly keep me there. Thanks for any info.

KRZYBooP #2 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:04

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4508 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

The way to keep filtering players back down to lower tiers is by having tiers 9 and 10 not be as profitable as the others. 

Tiers 7 and 8 are more profitable, and if you really want to earn money play Arty :P

Zuikakoo #3 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23564 battles
yep, you can't make money in T9, same with T10.    A T10 battle tends to cost me about 10 to 50k a battle depending on the battle.   Even with credit boosters breaking even in T10 is rough.   If you buy consumeables during the sales you might have a better chance though.

_Red_Saaryn_ #4 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 27329 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L

View Postddraig_goch_, on Feb 19 2020 - 21:58, said:

Burning thru the Chinese new year 5x's in the T-54. I'm doing around a 7 place finish and not using premium shells. and if i didn't have days of premium,I would be losing money when scoring over 1000 hp. As it is for maximizing the 5x's i am also using food and the best i can hope for is breaking even. I haven't played much above tier 8 but i could swear i make more at low tiers than here.  Is this normal and is it worse at Tier 10?

I am credit too poor to buy many tier 10's this will certainly keep me there. Thanks for any info.

That's normal. T9-10 are meant to be expensive. To be end game content so only people with good silver can afford them. The average t10 tank cost 6-7mi and the average repair cost is 30-39k not counting consumables or shells just fixing a tank that exploded/didn't survive the battle. Some tanks make it a loss even if you win by doing 10k damage, not using consumables nor gold. Look at the death star for example. Each shell cost between 5-9k, repair cost only of the tank is around 33k. and if you do good damage and manage to survive and win, you only earn 30-50k meanwhile the expenses are 33k just to fix the tank. Let's say you shot 10 times at a cost of 5k a shell (it cost 8k) you end paying 83k so even if you win you still lose silver 

Edited by _Red_Saaryn_, Feb 19 2020 - 22:08.

SKurj #5 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:06

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16805 battles
you are using food...  get rid of that and you may come out better credit wise...

Vergeltungswaffen #6 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28982 battles
  • [WLSON] WLSON

Yes, you are using expensive consumables! (food) and I'd imagine if you are doing that you are firing a fair bit of HEAT shells also.

My T-54 makes credits when I run it with a large fire extinguisher, small repair, small med kit. And I do not fire HEAT unless it's to win a game. It takes about 2k damage I'd say, and living through the battle to make "some" credits and not be negative while on my standard account.

You just need to decide if you want to be at max performance or not? At max performance you will always lose credits. (food = lose a bunch just for showing up to fight)

grim_898 #7 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5865 battles
Heat 54 is one of the most unprofitable tanks in the game,you have awful standard pen and on top of that it costs over 1000 credits a pop. This means that when you bounce(and you will alot) it's a double whammy. That's why alot of people fire only heat out of it.

Pipinghot #8 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postddraig_goch_, on Feb 19 2020 - 15:58, said:

That's an intentional part of the game design.

Wargaming doesn't want all of the experienced players to play only Tier IX & X, the intent behind their design is that lots of experienced players will continue playing various tanks in tiers VI, VII & VIII to help keep those tiers more competitive. In most MMO's the best way to play the game is to rush to the top level and then figure out how to get good at the game while playing only a top level character, that's exactly the pattern that Wargaming wanted to avoid. So... they designed the rewards structure to keep more people playing middle tier tanks.

CedricMacLaren #9 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:17

Major

• Players
  • 15914 battles
  • [RECKT] RECKT
If you don’t participate in Clan Wars, tiers 6, 7, and 8 are where you should be. I haven’t checked your stats, but most players (me especially) will usually feel like they are back at Tier 3 as a seal being clubbed by players who actually know how to play the game. 

SquiggyMcPew #10 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 56 battles

Heat-54 isn't a cheap tank to play cause who uses the pitiful ap rounds?

View PostKRZYBooP, on Feb 19 2020 - 22:04, said:

and if you really want to earn money play Arty :P

Can confirm tier 10 arty prints credits even without premium.

Kramah313 #11 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6229 battles
I can make credits in a good game with the M46 Patton but the T-54 I have the same experience and I don’t run food. The AP rounds are garbage and also expensive at like 1250 credits per. I am virtually guaranteed to bounce one for every hit and on top of that I tend to die and not do much damage in the first place. So the T-54 is super expensive if you’re bad in it like me but unless you’re really good in it it’s probably going to be expensive anyways because of ammo costs. 

coconut2011 #12 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:37

Captain

• Players
  • 67913 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

Basically for tier 9, only unicums can still consistently make credits.  WG wants players to play lower tiers so that there will be enough players at lower tiers.  While the profitability is not dropped all that much, the expense for playing tier 9 / 10 battles are significantly increased.

As for T-54, while you can shoot regular ammo, it will be far more effective if you spam premium ammo, which will significantly increase your expense.  Basically, you should load ~30% regular, ~70% premium ammo (and couple for HE) for T-54.  Only shoot AP for dealing the rear/side of tanks or against lower tiers.  For just about everything else, premium ammo is the way to go.  If you cannot afford it, just play some tier 8 premium tanks to build up the credits (which is what WG wants you to do).

There are some tier 9/10 tanks that regular ammo are just as effective without needing to shoot premium ammo.  Standard B (tier 9), Progetto 65 (tier 10), Leopard PTA (tier 9), Leopard 1 (tier 10), etc.  Generally, these are fast flankers / snipers with high penetration regular ammo.  If you want to be cheap, play these tanks instead.

ddraig_goch_ #13 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9379 battles
  • [74TH] 74TH
All good to know, I am grinding tier 10 for tanks i can play in a clan. With all the xp bonuses they throw out, i am backlogging tanks. It seems that WG bends over backwards to get you to play high tier tanks. But they do everything in their power to keep you credit poor. Maybe they think people will convert gold to credits, but i find that extremely expensive and will never do that. Ah well, i will just have to play hours of FL. Thanks all.

SquiggyMcPew #14 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 56 battles

View Postddraig_goch_, on Feb 19 2020 - 22:41, said:

All good to know, I am grinding tier 10 for tanks i can play in a clan. With all the xp bonuses they throw out, i am backlogging tanks. It seems that WG bends over backwards to get you to play high tier tanks. But they do everything in their power to keep you credit poor. Maybe they think people will convert gold to credits, but i find that extremely expensive and will never do that. Ah well, i will just have to play hours of FL. Thanks all.

A premium account will allow you to play your higher tiers more or less as much as you want. You will still lose some credits on a bad game but not too much and wins will typically get a slim profit.

Vergeltungswaffen #15 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28982 battles
  • [WLSON] WLSON

View PostKramah313, on Feb 19 2020 - 16:29, said:

I can make credits in a good game with the M46 Patton but the T-54 I have the same experience and I don’t run food. The AP rounds are garbage and also expensive at like 1250 credits per. I am virtually guaranteed to bounce one for every hit and on top of that I tend to die and not do much damage in the first place. So the T-54 is super expensive if you’re bad in it like me but unless you’re really good in it it’s probably going to be expensive anyways because of ammo costs. 

Focus on tracking if the target is too difficult to pen reliably. You will then be able to line up a shot on a weak spot and may gain credits from assistance damage.

_Draklor_ #16 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10986 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY
It's by design. The higher tier you get the more expensive it becomes to maintain, while income from battles isn't growing that rapidly. This encourages players to buy premium account and premium tanks as a primary sources of silver (works best if both combined, e.g. premium tank AND premium account).
At the same time this system doesn't actually FORCE anyone to buy anything: free to play option is fully viable, just limited to lower tiers. The other good thing about this system: it rewards skilled players. The better you become at the game, the more damage you cause in battles (resulting in more silver made per battle), and chances of your tank survival also increase (that's a lot of silver saved on repairs).
It's probably the smartest free to play model I've seen in game industry so far.

ZYKLOP_ #17 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 22:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27975 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

The intention is to entice you to the high tiers but make it a loss.

Tier 8 premiums with boosters and premium time give you the credits to play at the high tiers.

It's a financial earner for them.

Kramah313 #18 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 23:04

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6229 battles

View PostVergeltungswaffen, on Feb 19 2020 - 22:44, said:

Focus on tracking if the target is too difficult to pen reliably. You will then be able to line up a shot on a weak spot and may gain credits from assistance damage.

Appreciate the tips! Thanks! +1

InappropriateHandHolding #19 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 23:05

Captain

• Players
  • 40071 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Postddraig_goch_, on Feb 19 2020 - 21:58, said:

You arnt going to be making credits doing 1k dmg in tier 9 and 10 you should probably go and try some lower tiers so you can learn a bit more how the game works first since higher tiers like 9 and 10 are very hard to learn the basics in.

heavymetal1967 #20 Posted Feb 19 2020 - 23:20

Major

• Players
  • 75721 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

He's not firing HEAT folks.  Though that may be an unmarked edit in his opener.

OP even if you're not firing HEAT the 54 is one of the worse 9s in terms of making credits.  Reminds me of the SU-101 at T8. 

If you're trying to run it without flinging a lot of HEAT the gun leading to the 62A is the better option imo though you do give up a little depression.  -5 on it versus -6 on the HEAT gun IF irc. 

Also if you're in a rush because of the sandbox changes don't be...

Article, https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/sandbox-closer-0220/

Cliff notes and forum thread, http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/621477-new-balance-test-results-and-update/page__pid__12426515#entry12426515

Block Quote

If this change is implemented into the game, these vehicles, including Tiers VI–X, will be available for purchase with Credits. Players can buy them any time after the potential update goes live thereby eliminating the rush to research these vehicles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users