mods reskins remodels

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Kutejikashi #1 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 06:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8639 battles
  • [F-A-M] F-A-M
I just want to know, wich kind of program people use to make this kind of mods? adding this bits to some of my favourite tanks will be amazing to do.

https://wgmods.net/2987/

Please, i'm commited to learn how to do this and even share some with the comunity.

Wanderjar #2 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 08:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32000 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
start here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum/292-tank-skin-discussion-guides/

View PostKutejikashi, on Feb 27 2020 - 23:46, said:

I just want to know, wich kind of program people use to make this kind of mods? adding this bits to some of my favourite tanks will be amazing to do.

Please, i'm commited to learn how to do this and even share some with the comunity.

here's just an idea:
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/610598-need-help-modded-skin-looks-fine-in-garage-but-changes-changes-appearance-in-battle/

and 
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/7582-tank-skinning-faq-basic-preparation-of-skins-for-painting/

Edited by Wanderjar, Feb 28 2020 - 08:27.

PisnUoff #3 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 08:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2758 battles
  • [-STD-] -STD-
I used to make my own but I forgot how to do it.A'lot of help I am I know.

Avalon304 #4 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 08:51

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

Literally none of the threads you posted will even come close to answering the OPs question.

View PostKutejikashi, on Feb 27 2020 - 22:46, said:

My main program is Blender version 2.78, but I know a couple of remodelers who use Autodesk Maya.

After I get the model into Blender (theres a person who made a plugin to import/export them) I export it as an OBJ file and pull it into 3dsMax 2012, finalize it there and then export it for use in WoT using the BigWorld visual exporter plugin for 3dsMax (unfortunately the visual exporter from the BigWorld SDK is hard to find and not exactly something that can be shared). Exporting it from 3dsMax gives me a working primitives file.

For the other files that control a tanks model (the visual file itself) I export that directly from Blender and edit it using Notepad++ to point it to the correct textures, which is also used (in conjunction with an XML decoder) to edit the tank script file to point it to new models as well as to reposition the various emblem and inscription slots (as well as the clan icon and gun marks) that are projected on the tank. Notepad++ is also used with the XML converter to edit the .model file from the vanilla game to point it to the spot where the updated models are kept.

My texture work, what limited amount of it I do, is done in Photoshop CC with Nvidia's texture tools plugin. At the end of the process Im usually left with something like this in game:

Spoiler

A program like 7zip can be used to both open the .pkg files located in World_of_Tanks_NA/res/packages, as well as to create .wotmod files for ease of installation.

Wanderjar #5 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 08:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32000 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 28 2020 - 01:51, said:

Literally none of the threads you posted will even come close to answering the OPs question.

Well, technically all he asked was how to make them. and managed to post it in the wrong section

Belkan_Space_Magic #6 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 14:45

• 1987 battles

Thread moved to appropriate section

Would actually love to lend a hand but all I know is the skinning mechanics way back in 2013 and 2014. Lots of graphic changes might have rendered my skills obsolete with the current ones.

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 27 2020 - 23:51, said:

My texture work, what limited amount of it I do, is done in Photoshop CC with Nvidia's texture tools plugin.

Old skinner here (only textures). Do they still use the usual .dds format for the texture files?

Mancu #7 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 22395 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 28 2020 - 02:51, said:

My main program is Blender version 2.78, but I know a couple of remodelers who use Autodesk Maya.

Just an FYI Blender is now on version 2.82 - which is a massive overhaul of the entire program. It's so much better that most people think it should have been labeled 3.0.

black_colt #8 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 16:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 5655 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 27 2020 - 23:51, said:

After I get the model into Blender (theres a person who made a plugin to import/export them) I export it as an OBJ file and pull it into 3dsMax 2012, finalize it there and then export it for use in WoT using the BigWorld visual exporter plugin for 3dsMax (unfortunately the visual exporter from the BigWorld SDK is hard to find and not exactly something that can be shared). Exporting it from 3dsMax gives me a working primitives file.

For the other files that control a tanks model (the visual file itself) I export that directly from Blender and edit it using Notepad++ to point it to the correct textures, which is also used (in conjunction with an XML decoder) to edit the tank script file to point it to new models as well as to reposition the various emblem and inscription slots (as well as the clan icon and gun marks) that are projected on the tank. Notepad++ is also used with the XML converter to edit the .model file from the vanilla game to point it to the spot where the updated models are kept.

My texture work, what limited amount of it I do, is done in Photoshop CC with Nvidia's texture tools plugin. At the end of the process Im usually left with something like this in game:

Spoiler

A program like 7zip can be used to both open the .pkg files located in World_of_Tanks_NA/res/packages, as well as to create .wotmod files for ease of installation.

Avalon304,

Thanks for the summary - always wondered how you accomplished your superb work - figured it was some sort of black magic ...

I run WoT with several of your skins - particularly like the M-51 Super Sherman, Charioteer 'Dragon', M4A3E8 Firefly [love the historical treatment of the gun barrel], and the ISU-122S 'Stalins Might'.

Thanks for making your work available - I really appreciate it as it makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Kutejikashi #9 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 22:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8639 battles
  • [F-A-M] F-A-M

View PostAvalon304, on Feb 28 2020 - 01:51, said:

Spoiler

Honestly I never expected to one of my favourite modders of tanks will even give me advices in how to make skins.

I will take all of this consideration an put some efford on it. I appreciate the time you take to give me the programs names and how you make your skins.

I'm still surpriced lol

Kutejikashi #10 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 22:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8639 battles
  • [F-A-M] F-A-M

View PostBelkan_Space_Magic, on Feb 28 2020 - 07:45, said:

Thread moved to appropriate section

Would actually love to lend a hand but all I know is the skinning mechanics way back in 2013 and 2014. Lots of graphic changes might have rendered my skills obsolete with the current ones.

Old skinner here (only textures). Do they still use the usual .dds format for the texture files?

I appreciate the intention. And even more coming from a moderator! hahaha

Thanks, as I said, I will put big efford in learning how to make skins to share with fellow commanders.

Kutejikashi #11 Posted Feb 28 2020 - 22:24

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8639 battles
  • [F-A-M] F-A-M

View PostWanderjar, on Feb 28 2020 - 01:57, said:

Well, technically all he asked was how to make them. and managed to post it in the wrong section

I appreciate the time you put on finding the threads and posting them here.

Avalon304 #12 Posted Mar 01 2020 - 00:18

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostBelkan_Space_Magic, on Feb 28 2020 - 06:45, said:

Yep, the textures are still .dds files.

View PostMancu, on Feb 28 2020 - 06:53, said:

Just an FYI Blender is now on version 2.82 - which is a massive overhaul of the entire program. It's so much better that most people think it should have been labeled 3.0.

I know, but I use the version of blender that the model importer plugin was made for.

View Postblack_colt, on Feb 28 2020 - 08:52, said:

Avalon304,

Thanks for the summary - always wondered how you accomplished your superb work - figured it was some sort of black magic ...

I run WoT with several of your skins - particularly like the M-51 Super Sherman, Charioteer 'Dragon', M4A3E8 Firefly [love the historical treatment of the gun barrel], and the ISU-122S 'Stalins Might'.

Thanks for making your work available - I really appreciate it as it makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Glad you enjoy them.

View PostKutejikashi, on Feb 28 2020 - 14:20, said:

Honestly I never expected to one of my favourite modders of tanks will even give me advices in how to make skins.

I will take all of this consideration an put some efford on it. I appreciate the time you take to give me the programs names and how you make your skins.

I'm still surpriced lol

Glad I could help some.

Also tagged with mods, reskins, remodels

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users