Top tier MM is F'ed ( I knoooow another MM rant </3 )

WG Devs trash mm

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Zanarkand_C #1 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 40042 battles

WG your MM is getting SO bad now days! Teams are completely unbalanced in terms of skill. It's so easy to get a tier X now days compared to how it use to be, that there is just an over abundance of bad/mediocre players at tier X now. And that's totally fine, in fact I'm glad it's easier for people to get into tier X then it was for me back in the day because the grind was really discouraging at times.

I'm not here to dis bad players, I don't care about your individual skill level. The problem is that MM also doesn't care and games are just TOO OFTEN becoming steam rolled. Games that last like 3-4 minutes. Games ranging from plane out 15-0 to like 15-4 maybe if you're lucky. And it sucks for both teams. If you're on the losing team for obvious reason and even if you're on the winning team you can't really get any damage out or make a impact in any meaningful way cause everyone is just dying on the enemy team. Pubs have been going downhill for a long time now and WARGAMING, I gotta say; it just does NOT matter what you do to the Match Maker, if you never add SOME form of skill into it, it's just always going to be bad!

The teams could be perfectly mirrored in terms of the tanks but the team with the better players are 95% of time time just going to win anyway...

I know I know, another MM rant but god damn I just had to cause holy F man it sucks to see a game I use to like so much become so irritating to play recently.

Avalon304 #2 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:07

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 13:04, said:

WG your MM is getting SO bad now days! Teams are completely unbalanced in terms of skill. It's so easy to get a tier X now days compared to how it use to be, that there is just an over abundance of bad/mediocre players at tier X now. And that's totally fine, in fact I'm glad it's easier for people to get into tier X then it was for me back in the day because the grind was really discouraging at times.

I'm not here to dis bad players, I don't care about your individual skill level. The problem is that MM also doesn't care and games are just TOO OFTEN becoming steam rolled. Games that last like 3-4 minutes. Games ranging from plane out 15-0 to like 15-4 maybe if you're lucky. And it sucks for both teams. If you're on the losing team for obvious reason and even if you're on the winning team you can't really get any damage out or make a impact in any meaningful way cause everyone is just dying on the enemy team. Pubs have been going downhill for a long time now and WARGAMING, I gotta say; it just does NOT matter what you do to the Match Maker, if you never add SOME form of skill into it, it's just always going to be bad!

The teams could be perfectly mirrored in terms of the tanks but the team with the better players are 95% of time time just going to win anyway...

I know I know, another MM rant but god damn I just had to cause holy F man it sucks to see a game I use to like so much become so irritating to play recently.

As has been discussed and proven before: basing MM on skil, balancing the teams by skill, will not stop the blow outs youre seeing. It will not change what you see on a day to day basis, and it will barely change it over the course of thousands of battles.

jst2gr8 #3 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:12

Captain

• Players
  • 72100 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
Cries about the 3/5/7, WG changes it for the worse and cries even more. 

Panzerkind #4 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 39845 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Skill-based MM might lessen the occurrence of these sorts of blowout games, but there are more factors in play when it comes to these blowout games than just skill deficits. Early advantages as far as taking certain positions or picking off certain hugely influential tanks early, taking superior map control.... these sorts of things happen even when the teams are even, and sometimes it just comes down to a team's deployment early on being lucky and perfectly set up to counter the other team's just by sheer coincidence. Advantages like these snowball and the game is more or less decided in the first few minutes. 

You know this, being in RELIC, that it happens all the time in comp as well. You can have two top-level clans that are pretty evenly matched in player skill, and one caller tries a strat that just so happens to be perfectly countered by the enemy strat and you get a 15-3 or something blowout. It happens all the time. It's just a natural consequence of a 15v15 combat game with no respawning or HP regeneration. It's very hard to beat the team that takes the advantage and map control early on. 

I'm not saying some sort of skill-based MM wouldn't improve upon this somewhat, but I don't know how you would go about doing that or what sort of metrics you would use to quantify "skill" for MM, and even still it would never completely remedy the problem. 

GeorgePreddy #5 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:18

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

SBMM is a terrible idea for Random Battles.

I mean... you have a 55%+ win rate.

Why would you want to be restricted to ~49%, would that actually be more fun for you. To know that no matter how well you play, you'll have literally zero effect on your win rate over the long run ?

Zanarkand_C #6 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 40042 battles
When I say SBMM I mean "some" form, at least a small amount of input. I don't mean it would be all reds vs reds / purps vs purps. Cause that's what CW is. The skill would be mixed on both teams to a degree. So teams would have similar amount of red/blue/purp players to some degree based on what the MM could find in the Que at the moment.

Edited by Zanarkand_C, Mar 05 2020 - 21:25.

Pipinghot #7 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:33

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:04, said:

Games that last like 3-4 minutes.

1) That's nothing new. The average time for Random battles has not changed demonstrably since the introduction of auto-loaders, and even then the change was quite small. If you think that Random battles are shorter than they used to be then you're looking at the past through rose colored lenses, your memory is being attacked by confirmation bias.

2) SBMM would not prevent steamrolls. Technically it would reduce them, but only a little bit, and not enough that you could ever tell the difference, because the MM is not the cause of steamrolls. The fundamental cause of steamrolls is that this is a single-death-per-battle game, just like it always has been, since the very beginning of the game.

As a member of Relic you should already know this, steamrolls are just as common in Clan Wars as they are in Random battles, the only difference is that Random battles average a shorter time than CW battles. In CW battles the steamroll takes longer to happen because both teams usually hold back a lot in the hope of forcing the other team to make mistakes, but once the real fighting starts the end result looks the same. A battle that ends 13-0 after 4 minutes is fundamentally no different from a battle that ends 13-0 after 14 minutes, both battles are just as much of a steamroll, and CW has just as many steamrolls as Randoms, they just take longer.

3) SBMM would, on the other hand, create a very large difference in how win rates work. Your sweet 55%+ WR would evaporate and you would join nearly every other player in the game by having an average win rate. Win rate would essentially become meaningless, only a very few people at the top and bottom of the skill ladder would have noticeably above or below average win rates.

Avalon304 #8 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:34

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 13:24, said:

When I say SBMM I mean "some" form, at least a small amount of input. I don't mean it would be all reds vs reds / purps vs purps. Cause that's what CW is. The skill would be mixed on both teams to a degree. So teams would have similar amount of red/blue/purp players to some degree based on what the MM could find in the Que at the moment.

It literally does not matter what "form" you mean. It would not change the day to day battles you see. In any normal session you would still see just as many blowouts as you do right now. Over the course of a couple thousand battles you might see a low single digit percent reduction in the amount of blow outs you see.

Pipinghot #9 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 21:34

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:24, said:

It doesn't matter what "form" is used, all forms of SBMM have he same end result. No matter what method you use to balance the skills it's still skill balancing, and all methods of skill balancing create the same outcome.

Zanarkand_C #10 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 22:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 40042 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:33, said:

3) SBMM would, on the other hand, create a very large difference in how win rates work. Your sweet 55%+ WR would evaporate and you would join nearly every other player in the game by having an average win rate. Win rate would essentially become meaningless, only a very few people at the top and bottom of the skill ladder would have noticeably above or below average win rates.

I'm not concerned with my WR, I don't care about winning in pubs. It's about the experience the "fun" factor. And there is just nothing fun about playing a short loss for 15-0. It would be different if you could respawn like you can in FL. Cause then you have more control over how you want to play the on going game. But in a mode where you can't do that, there needs to be more emphasis on the teams. I play a lot of different games and this is the only game I play where recently the MM is just a irritating factor.

COD franchise for example, their MM takes into account rank of players (which really doesn't mean anything long term because if you play enough games you will get a high rank anyway) But it still works out for new players to end up seeing other new players more often. Which is sort of how WOT use to work with the tier system, because it took time to get to tier X. But now it doesn't take very long.

Another point is games like COD are less about the "team" I could smash an enemy team myself which I do a lot in MW. Your carrying capacity is so much higher in those games. WOT is really backwards compared to those games just because of how the game mechanic work. You know you can't just head shot everyone you can't unload on a group, it takes time. There is more emphasis on your team and what your team can do, you can only go so far in WOT by yourself. So your team is so important and balance is important in a game like this. I've never really complained about MM much in WOT because the random effect it's always had has been "okay" for a long time. But now that the games progression is easier, it's faster. You're getting these players that just don't know what they're doing in high tiers and it ruins the experience.

Idk maybe I'm wrong and SBMM won't work for world of tanks but the way the MM is now also doesn't work and as time goes on it's getting worse.

Edited by Zanarkand_C, Mar 05 2020 - 22:11.

Onprobation #11 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 22:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1520 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Mar 05 2020 - 13:07, said:

As has been discussed and proven before: basing MM on skil, balancing the teams by skill, will not stop the blow outs youre seeing. It will not change what you see on a day to day basis, and it will barely change it over the course of thousands of battles.

Was proven to work very well on test server only reason It WAS NOT PUT IN PLACE was the Unicorns could no longer seal-club So what you have said is false, 

Onprobation #12 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 22:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1520 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 13:04, said:

Don't look at MM look at the players on your team, more and more players even older players are treating this game like a car racing game with guns, What once took months-years to achieve  is now done in weeks with players buying gold. So new players have no idea what to do with that new T8-9-10 they just bought.

Also pay attention to the times your teams start to lose over and over, Like me I don't play from 3Pm till 8pm my time, that's when school is out and they get on and try to play.

Edited by Onprobation, Mar 05 2020 - 23:09.

Avalon304 #13 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 23:13

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles

View PostOnprobation, on Mar 05 2020 - 14:19, said:

Was proven to work very well on test server only reason It WAS NOT PUT IN PLACE was the Unicorns could no longer seal-club So what you have said is false, 

WG has never tested it on the test server. In fact WG has been very consistent in saying that SBMM will never be implemented, and have been saying this since the game was released.

And it has nothing to do with "not being able to seal club" and everything to do with skill based matchmaking actually rendering skill irrelevant.

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 14:06, said:

I'm not concerned with my WR, I don't care about winning in pubs. It's about the experience the "fun" factor. And there is just nothing fun about playing a short loss for 15-0. It would be different if you could respawn like you can in FL. Cause then you have more control over how you want to play the on going game. But in a mode where you can't do that, there needs to be more emphasis on the teams. I play a lot of different games and this is the only game I play where recently the MM is just a irritating factor.

COD franchise for example, their MM takes into account rank of players (which really doesn't mean anything long term because if you play enough games you will get a high rank anyway) But it still works out for new players to end up seeing other new players more often. Which is sort of how WOT use to work with the tier system, because it took time to get to tier X. But now it doesn't take very long.

Another point is games like COD are less about the "team" I could smash an enemy team myself which I do a lot in MW. Your carrying capacity is so much higher in those games. WOT is really backwards compared to those games just because of how the game mechanic work. You know you can't just head shot everyone you can't unload on a group, it takes time. There is more emphasis on your team and what your team can do, you can only go so far in WOT by yourself. So your team is so important and balance is important in a game like this. I've never really complained about MM much in WOT because the random effect it's always had has been "okay" for a long time. But now that the games progression is easier, it's faster. You're getting these players that just don't know what they're doing in high tiers and it ruins the experience.

Idk maybe I'm wrong and SBMM won't work for world of tanks but the way the MM is now also doesn't work and as time goes on it's getting worse.

I mean im glad you dont care about winning in pubs, but Id imagine a great many people do. Its certainly how I derive my fun in pubs. I dont care if the game is 15-3 or 15-14. If Im winning I had fun.

And using COD MM... which is awful at the best of times is hilarious. Ive never played a COD game that had good MM.

MM is currently fine as it is. It actually places emphasis on being skilled and being able to influence battles to become wins. Thats what personal skill is in this game is: the ability to influence battles more than other players. It not about twitch reflexes and the ability to headshot. Its about the ability to position properly and predict matches and respond to changes within the match.

Zanarkand_C #14 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 23:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 40042 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Mar 05 2020 - 17:13, said:

WG has never tested it on the test server. In fact WG has been very consistent in saying that SBMM will never be implemented, and have been saying this since the game was released.

And it has nothing to do with "not being able to seal club" and everything to do with skill based matchmaking actually rendering skill irrelevant.

I mean im glad you dont care about winning in pubs, but Id imagine a great many people do. Its certainly how I derive my fun in pubs. I dont care if the game is 15-3 or 15-14. If Im winning I had fun.

And using COD MM... which is awful at the best of times is hilarious. Ive never played a COD game that had good MM.

MM is currently fine as it is. It actually places emphasis on being skilled and being able to influence battles to become wins. Thats what personal skill is in this game is: the ability to influence battles more than other players. It not about twitch reflexes and the ability to headshot. Its about the ability to position properly and predict matches and respond to changes within the match.

You sound like you're talking about the game 2 years ago. Also I was comparing the MM/carrying capacity of COD and WOT not the skills required to do good in either or. Obviously WOT is more knowledge based while COD is more or less who is faster. Please read <.> Like I also stated that COD mm only really applies to new players because anyone who keeps playing will achieve the highest rank at some point. But if you're a good player at COD then you don't even care about MM. Cause no matter how crappy my team is... I'm still gunna drop that nuke on you cuhh.

Edited by Zanarkand_C, Mar 05 2020 - 23:30.

Onprobation #15 Posted Mar 05 2020 - 23:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1520 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:13, said:

Yes they have twice, 

VooDooKobra #16 Posted Mar 06 2020 - 00:45

Major

• Players
  • 10312 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

View PostOnprobation, on Mar 05 2020 - 14:19, said:

when did they put sbmm on test server i dont remember them ever doing this.  can you link the notes that go up when the test servers go live detailing whats on it?

Pipinghot #17 Posted Mar 06 2020 - 01:28

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 16:06, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:33, said:

I'm not concerned with my WR, I don't care about winning in pubs.

That's fair, but even if you don't a lot of other people do. What you're asking for would require a complete redesign of pubs.

And there is just nothing fun about playing a short loss for 15-0.

And as has already been explained, that wouldn't change under SBMM. As long as this is a single-death game then nothing they do with the MM is going to prevent blowouts, they are a natural part of every single-death game.

It would be different if you could respawn like you can in FL. Cause then you have more control over how you want to play the on going game.

Which, I think it's safe to say, is the reason that they introduced FL to begin with. Wargaming understands quite well the difference between single-death games and respawn games, so they added a respawn mode to WoT. But unless there's a mass request from the RU server wanting to have pubs converted from single-death battles to respawn battles it's not going to happen. The only reasonable assumption is that pubs are going to continue to be single-death battles, and that means that converting pubs from Random MM to SBMM would not do anything to stop blowouts.

But in a mode where you can't do that, there needs to be more emphasis on the teams.

And again, that wouldn't stop blowouts, because they're caused by single-death.

I play a lot of different games and this is the only game I play where recently the MM is just a irritating factor.

You must be the only one.

Google: "Fix the matchmaker" = 1,280,000 results. WoT isn't even on the first page

1) League of Legends EUW

2) League of Legends EUNE

3) Heroes of the Storm

4) Warthunder

5) Overwatch

6) Heroes and Generals

7) Crossout (whatever that is)

8) And then finally, on Page 2, World of Tanks

It's pretty obvious that a lot of other people are irritated with the MM for plenty of other games, the idea that WoT's MM is somehow worse than all other games is demonstrably untrue.

And a lot of people have been annoyed that COD is using SBMM in pubs. So even if you like it there are plenty of people who only want SBMM in ranked modes, not pub battles.

https://www.redbull....-modern-warfare

https://www.dailyesp...modern-warfare/

https://www.dexerto....hmaking-1031261

Another point is games like COD are less about the "team" I could smash an enemy team myself which I do a lot in MW. Your carrying capacity is so much higher in those games. WOT is really backwards compared to those games just because of how the game mechanic work.

That's not "backwards", it's just not your personal preference, those are not the same thing.

There is a limit to how much you can compare WoT to CoD because, bottom line, there are no head shots in WoT. No matter what they do with the MM it's never going to be a FPS.

I've never really complained about MM much in WOT because the random effect it's always had has been "okay" for a long time. But now that the games progression is easier, it's faster. You're getting these players that just don't know what they're doing in high tiers and it ruins the experience.

I can see your point there. The average player experience is lower at Tier X than it used to be, which makes the battle a little more volatile and unpredictable.

Just as long as you understand that is has not caused battles to become shorter and it has not causes more steamrolls, both of those are caused by single-death-per-battle and always have been.

That depends on what you mean by "work for world of tanks". If you think it would make battles last longer or make a big difference in blowout, it wouldn't do either of those things.

Pipinghot #18 Posted Mar 06 2020 - 01:30

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostOnprobation, on Mar 05 2020 - 16:19, said:

View PostAvalon304, on Mar 05 2020 - 13:07, said:

False.

View PostOnprobation, on Mar 05 2020 - 16:19, said:

It WAS NOT PUT IN PLACE was the Unicorns could no longer seal-club So what you have said is false, 

False x2.

Avalon304 #19 Posted Mar 06 2020 - 02:35

Major

• Players
  • 25320 battles

View PostZanarkand_C, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:19, said:

You sound like you're talking about the game 2 years ago. Also I was comparing the MM/carrying capacity of COD and WOT not the skills required to do good in either or. Obviously WOT is more knowledge based while COD is more or less who is faster. Please read <.> Like I also stated that COD mm only really applies to new players because anyone who keeps playing will achieve the highest rank at some point. But if you're a good player at COD then you don't even care about MM. Cause no matter how crappy my team is... I'm still gunna drop that nuke on you cuhh.

Im talking about the game now. The MM is fine now.

COD is a terrible comparison, regardless of your intended comparison specifically because the skills required to do well in both games are so drastically different and their core gameplay is so drastically different... I will also say that if youre a good player at WoT you also dont care about the MM. Youre either going to win or do well enough to get the rewards of a win via Courageous Resistance. (And CODs MM is still terrible in general).

SBMM has never been a good thing in any game Ive ever played that used it in modes outside of specific ranked modes (and even even been terrible inside those ranked modes in many cases). It wouldnt be good here either.

View PostOnprobation, on Mar 05 2020 - 15:52, said:

Yes they have twice, 

Nope. Not once. Not twice. Literally zero times. Thats how many times WG has tested SBMM on the test server. Doesnt even show up in a google search. But go ahead and provide your source, Im dying to see it.

Kiaser_Sosay #20 Posted Mar 06 2020 - 06:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25077 battles
  • [-_-] -_-
Just seems to me They could balance MM by PR. Comparing todays meta with back in the day there is no comparison. With the ease of accessing top tier tanks . The game has changed. from historical comparisons to how MM was or is. Overall player rating MM seems at least worth a logical look at. going into a game when a team has 20% chance of winning is not balanced MM. And i know it would not solve every scenario but its just silly now.  

Also tagged with WG, Devs, trash, mm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users