Chieftain Artillery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Whistling_Death_ #1 Posted Mar 07 2020 - 01:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 69227 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

Edited by Whistling_Death_, Mar 07 2020 - 01:30.

_Tsavo_ #2 Posted Mar 07 2020 - 01:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 48507 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Interesting.  Hopefully it'll bring more arty players out to shoot gold at! 

Though he said why I loathe the class, there's little you can do to stop it, unless you camp somewhere safe.   Control the map?  Stun.  Vye for key spots?  Stun.  Be active?  Stun.  Arty shoots what lit.   What's lit?  Not the campers! 

Kenshin2kx #3 Posted Mar 07 2020 - 02:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 20543 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Mar 06 2020 - 14:50, said:

Interesting.  Hopefully it'll bring more arty players out to shoot gold at! 

Though he said why I loathe the class, there's little you can do to stop it, unless you camp somewhere safe.   Control the map?  Stun.  Vye for key spots?  Stun.  Be active?  Stun.  Arty shoots what lit.   What's lit?  Not the campers! 

IMHO, that's a flaw of the present arty mechanic ... in actuality, its a variation of LOS targeting, but by proxy (spotters).  In a more plausible scenario involving artillery, the spotter would not always see targets, so much as define an area for coordinate based area saturation.  In essense, shotgunning by proxy as opposed to (overhead) line of sight shots in real time.   

Granted, the artillery can take calculated blind shots into high probability areas, but for the most part, shots are taken while actively proxy spotting  a detected target ... compare this to a motionless (unspotted) camper with good native camoflage ... Note that even the most careful actively mobile player gets spotted eventually due to movement and decreasing proximity to the opposing side, particularly if directly engaged with the enemy.

The tragedy here is that the very foundation that built up the basis for artillery (indirect, coordinate aligned battery fire) The actual mechanic that could dig out stubborn campers ... has been abandoned in favor of a 'direct vision by proxy' mechanic that shares the same limitations as LOS tanks due to the fact that it relies on visual confirmation for targeting.  In truth, WoT artillery is a 'curved' LOS targeting.  as if massive gravity was applied to warp the sight picture  ... which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising, given that similar excesses of gravitational force needed for the unnaturally abbreviated arty shell trajectories required for the size of the maps used.

Whistling_Death_ #4 Posted Mar 08 2020 - 08:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 69227 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

Every battle, without fail, my artillery is outnumbered by 12-14 tanks! It's not faiiirrrrrr! Tanks are broken and need to be removed from the game! There should be a limit of one tank per battle! I'm telling mommy Wargaming! It's not faiiiirrrrrrr mommmyyy!!!”

Whistling_Death_ #5 Posted Apr 23 2020 - 18:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 69227 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD
The Chieftain always creates very good videos.

Also tagged with Chieftain, Artillery

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users