★ ELC Even 90 Review - The Annoying French Hornet ★

Review Guide ELC Even 90 French Tier 8 Light Scout The Scorpions Den Premium Worst Tanks

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

subweevil #21 Posted Mar 24 2020 - 13:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38617 battles
  • [S0YUZ] S0YUZ
Played it on a Sheriff account, thing was a real hoot.

ShadowDancer27 #22 Posted Mar 24 2020 - 14:56

Major

• Players
  • 34040 battles
I personally have trouble making it work.  In a knife fight I can't seem to make those shots count,  the tank is so small that it bounces around a lot in messy terrain.  I do however encounter players that seem to overcome this.

Tao_Te_Tomato #23 Posted Mar 24 2020 - 15:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 29620 battles
  • [TER] TER
I've had some good games with it in the "pure scout" mode described above.  As an actual light tank ... kinda mixed results.

BUNNYHUGGERI #24 Posted Mar 24 2020 - 15:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 61467 battles

Scorpiany I hold you in high regard.  But as the saying goes...one mans trash...another mans treasure.

My ELC 90 is becoming the single most played tank in my line up and even surpasses my Skorpion G in credit earnings.  It is just not suitable for many players due to the play style of the tank.  You have to be VERY aggressive and take that little bitty bush in the middle of the field...or find that one pine tree that you can glide into.  As a scout in my opinion it is the best in the field.  The wheelies have kind of made it a bit more nerve wracking but all in all the abilities it posses including late game mopping up make it a great little tank.

Thank you for your consideration.

leeuniverse #25 Posted Mar 26 2020 - 03:43

Major

• Players
  • 42304 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Mar 23 2020 - 19:57, said:

except that's precisely how wargaming attempts to balance tanks, by gauging their win rates for players vs player overall win rates.  it's called a tank curve.  and when a 55% overall player plays it at 55% , and 54 at 54 and so on down to 45 at 45 that's an ideally balanced curve.

if the even 90 had higher clip potential, short aim time with reliable gun, etc., etc. it would be brokenly over powered.  just like the bourrasque would be broken if it had the EBR's gun handling (it has the EBR 105's turret)

what a lot of people are missing is that there are other ways to reliably influence battles over pure damage farming.  my record in the even 90 and in fact the "garbage" LHMTV prove that.  by the way, I have 5 premium rounds in the LHMTV total, and rarely dip into them.  a tank I bought for two of the alliance missions for the 279e and kept it and like it enough to have put 400 battles into it.

for me, a good tank is one that I enjoy playing first and foremost, and one that I can count on winning in more often than not.

out of this list, you can probably guess which tank I enjoyed driving but rage sold 3 different times because I couldn't reliably get wins in it.  (if you can't, it's the one with 500 battles)

as for premium rounds in LTs.  I carry 8 in the EBR.  5 in the LHMTV.  Never loaded a single premium round in the M41 Walker bulldog at tier 7 or 8 and carry only a couple in the 432 and LTTB.  these tanks are winning by denying vision, getting intel, counter scouting, and getting to flanks where premium rounds aren't needed - with one exception.  I carry roughly 50% load out in the Even 90

by the way, you seem to still care about wn8 for some reason.  if you want to pad wn8, LTs aren't as easy to pad wn8 as the T-44-100 is while also still trying to maintain a respectable win rate...

anyway, I stand by my opinion.  the Even 90 is a great LT, whether in an intel role, or a flanking annoyer/harasser.  it's not one that is initially intuitive on how to play, and it most certainly won't fit everyone's play style.  but calling it trash because one can't make it work or hasn't bothered to adequately try is pretty narrow minded imho.

Again, being able to "sit in a bush" thus spotting more for the team, so they can kill more, and thus artificially inflating the WinRate of a tank, doesn't make the tank "good".

It just means you're farming wins.  Like I said, WinRate isn't the "only" characteristic that makes a tank "good" or not.  Other factors HAVE to be looked at.

Only utter morons would look at WinRate only...

BTW, just look at MY WinRate in the tank...  50%.  That's because I don't bush camp, I try to play it like a tank, a light.

And it FAILS when playing it as a tank.  Thus, it IS a bad tank...

ThePigSheFlies #26 Posted Mar 26 2020 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles

View Postleeuniverse, on Mar 25 2020 - 21:43, said:

Again, being able to "sit in a bush" thus spotting more for the team, so they can kill more, and thus artificially inflating the WinRate of a tank, doesn't make the tank "good".

It just means you're farming wins.  Like I said, WinRate isn't the "only" characteristic that makes a tank "good" or not.  Other factors HAVE to be looked at.

Only utter morons would look at WinRate only...

BTW, just look at MY WinRate in the tank...  50%.  That's because I don't bush camp, I try to play it like a tank, a light.

And it FAILS when playing it as a tank.  Thus, it IS a bad tank...

look at my win rate in it.  soloing.  and I don't default to bushwanker in it either.  I am exceptionally aggro in it, and I refuse to mount bino's and camp net like most even 90 players.  one metric that illustrates my aggro is spots per game - I always get early intel, regardless of how many wheelies are on the map.

your win rate in it might be due to a couple of factors:

• small sample size
  • streaks
  • haven't figured out how to play it properly
  • or, you're just not as good as you think you are...

I mean, knowing where and when to be aggro is what matters to winning games, especially in LTs as they grow more powerful as the battle passes and the maps open up.

one of these is me.  one isn't.  you don't like win rate as a metric.  so pick something else...

leeuniverse #27 Posted Mar 27 2020 - 23:16

Major

• Players
  • 42304 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Mar 26 2020 - 07:50, said:

look at my win rate in it.  soloing.  and I don't default to bushwanker in it either.  I am exceptionally aggro in it, and I refuse to mount bino's and camp net like most even 90 players.  one metric that illustrates my aggro is spots per game - I always get early intel, regardless of how many wheelies are on the map.

your win rate in it might be due to a couple of factors:

• small sample size
  • streaks
  • haven't figured out how to play it properly
  • or, you're just not as good as you think you are...

I mean, knowing where and when to be aggro is what matters to winning games, especially in LTs as they grow more powerful as the battle passes and the maps open up.

one of these is me.  one isn't.  you don't like win rate as a metric.  so pick something else...

To be fair, I have adapted to the tank now, and am having a LOT more better games.

I just didn't like a light tank having such **** performance characteristics, so I have figured out how to play it properly now.

Also, I'm doing better because so many more are now playing it, thus more bad players, so you can hit unicorn stats doing only 1,200 damage now.

So, I'm actually liking it now.  It's tolerable.

ThePigSheFlies #28 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles

View Postleeuniverse, on Mar 27 2020 - 17:16, said:

To be fair, I have adapted to the tank now, and am having a LOT more better games.

I just didn't like a light tank having such **** performance characteristics, so I have figured out how to play it properly now.

Also, I'm doing better because so many more are now playing it, thus more bad players, so you can hit unicorn stats doing only 1,200 damage now.

So, I'm actually liking it now.  It's tolerable.

the expected damage really hasn't changed.  nor has my own average dpg over the past year.  it's always been a ~3kish wn8 tank for me.  averaging at least a kill per game goes a long way with that 1200 dpg.  and playing to win by getting early intel and living longer makes it easier to be alive to clip out a tank for that at least 1 kpg.

Scrawnybeaver #29 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 02:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19800 battles

I got it as a rental a while back and I really enjoyed it through 16 battles.  It is a challenge to play because it is so fragile but that is what makes it fun to play because you have to be on top of your game to do well.  I am waiting for a 30% gold sale on premium tanks so I can pick it up.

For me, fun is the name of the game and the ELC Even 90- is fun.  So is its little brother the ELC Bis.

oldewolfe #30 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 02:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 27249 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

It may be Bad at alotta Things, but Overall it's Not a Bad Tank when it get's into it's Groove....

https://www.youtube....h?v=NJJ1mLJfXvI

https://www.youtube....h?v=sFbWRB2VNlA

For those that Prefer the Vanilla UI, I have these as well....     Same Games just Naked....

http://wotreplays.eu...lfe-elc_even_90

http://wotreplays.eu...lfe-elc_even_90

I like the Tank alot, I don't get these Games Often enough but when I do they're Great Fun....       I know I'm Lousy at Lights for the Most Part, some Better, some Worse, but the French One's I seem to do OK in....       Just thought some of ya's might getta Kick out of them and show that ANYONE can Drive it IF you Pay Attention to what you're Doing....      And yes, the Airfield one was the only one I had Doubts about, the Mines Battle I just had a Blast in....

leeuniverse #31 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 04:24

Major

• Players
  • 42304 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Mar 27 2020 - 17:10, said:

the expected damage really hasn't changed.  nor has my own average dpg over the past year.  it's always been a ~3kish wn8 tank for me.  averaging at least a kill per game goes a long way with that 1200 dpg.  and playing to win by getting early intel and living longer makes it easier to be alive to clip out a tank for that at least 1 kpg.

What's weird is I don't even know what I'm doing differently...  I'm still playing it like I play any light, safe and as support.

It might simply be that I've been playing the game a long time now after leaving Armored Warfare that I'm getting more used to playing **** tanks again.

But then that doesn't make sense, cause I still can't play other **** tanks, like I recently got the Barq... whatever Premium, and it's tank traverse and bad gun makes it suck for me, even though it should have been a good tank like the Progetto if Wargaming weren't ****'s.

ThePigSheFlies #32 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 13:44

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles

View Postleeuniverse, on Mar 27 2020 - 22:24, said:

What's weird is I don't even know what I'm doing differently...  I'm still playing it like I play any light, safe and as support.

It might simply be that I've been playing the game a long time now after leaving Armored Warfare that I'm getting more used to playing **** tanks again.

But then that doesn't make sense, cause I still can't play other **** tanks, like I recently got the Barq... whatever Premium, and it's tank traverse and bad gun makes it suck for me, even though it should have been a good tank like the Progetto if Wargaming weren't ****'s.

look at initial spots per game.  I get early intel, which helps me plan out my route instead of going to the usual LT spots. 

• Early intel often means early spotting assist and/or even early harassing damage.
  • It also means that I often bait enemy LTs and Mediums into trying to chase me and they often pay heavily for it early.  (sometimes they don't, but often do)

_Red_Saaryn_ #33 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 14:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 28154 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L
I love my little RC car! I use it as a passive scout/sniper and I more than often do good damage

Guido1212 #34 Posted Mar 28 2020 - 16:53

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 84892 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View Postleeuniverse, on Mar 24 2020 - 01:12, said:

"Win Rate" is not the only characteristic that makes a tank "good".  In fact, it's one of the worst characteristics.

For example, having better camo that allows the tank to sit in a bush thus spotting enemy, thus increasing wins doesn't mean the tank is "good".

Or having camo to sneek past enemy to then cap a base, doesn't make the tank "good".

The tank is STILL bad...

- It's terrible power/acceleration

- It's terrible tank traverse

- It's terrible accuracy, for example, you can be 10 feet behind an enemy chasing him in a straight line, no bumps, and you'll MISS 2 of your 3 rounds.

- It's terrible Reload length.

NONE of the above is False about the tank!

So, just because in the meta, it's camo, and the number of people playing the tank, it shows some good stats, that STILL doesn't make it a "good" tank, per the above massively **** tank performance characteristics.

Based on your later conversations with Pig it appears you are coming off this a bit but I wanted to address this because I've seen a lot of it lately, and from some very good players, and it's very interesting.

There is a tendency in the community to put too much stock into the known, objective, stats of tanks.  And it starts from test where multiple influencers and good players will start to look at various stats like DPM, reload, accuracy etc.  From there we start to get some guesses at overall potential and we get videos about it which then starts to shape the general consensus.  Lots of pronouncements will be made before the tank is even played.  Then it will accelerate in test as we get some test server footage and by the time a tank is released it's been declared "good" or "bad".

The problem with this method is a complete lack of data from pub matches, whether randoms or CW or some kind of competitive mode.  It's fine to look at the stats and make some informed guesses, but the problem is that most will be ready to declare a new tanks worth only from the stats and test games.  Test is great for testing mechanics, it's terrible for testing balance and how a tank will actually perform in the public game.

To be fair, you can glean a lot of info from stats and make some pretty good judgments, but one must be ready to adjust those when the tank meets the public, and to be honest especially when the results of that meeting are contrary to preconceived notions.  There are some tanks that the prognosticators have been right about.  But lately, I've seen some glaring examples of complete failure to understand why some of the recently released tanks are actually good.

The Even 90 was an early example that actually showed why the Brit lights are in fact good.  It was widely panned as being bad based on its stats (the vehicles not the results).  Meanwhile people played it and guess what?  It's good.  So good that it is played more than any other tier 8 light.  When the Brit lights came out I was intrigued and thought maybe we'd have a similar situation.  And we do.  But still the legend of them being bad persists.  

The strangest part is watching good players make all kinds of excuses and rationalizations about how they did really well in the supposedly bad tanks.  As if the way they played them is somehow the "wrong" way and the results are only because they are playing the game wrong.  It doesn't take much rational and logical introspection to realize how stupid that sounds, unless one is trying to justify a preconceived notion without facts.

The things these small tanks bring to the table are hard to quantify.  The camo, size and situationally good guns make them a force multiplier well beyond the pure damage dealing priorities the community seems to covet the most.  There are in fact more ways than just pure damage dealing to influence and win a game.  As a general rule it's very good to dish out damage, but these little tanks can facilitate that for the whole team.  And do you know how we know it works?  W/R and Wn8 are pretty good.  In fact they do fine with damage as well, and assist is very good.

Bottom line is regardless of ones thoughts about the tank's stats, the results speak loudly and objectively that something about these tanks is in fact good.  Our individual thoughts and preconceived notions hold no water when confronted with those realities.

Edited by Guido1212, Mar 29 2020 - 01:38.

Trakks #35 Posted Mar 29 2020 - 00:02

Captain

• Players
  • 5125 battles
The camo on the Even 90 is massively broken. I saw a video recently, I think on Claus's channel, where a pair of them sat in a bush on Abbey and just waited for the enemy heavies that were sitting on the cap to move off and when they were far enough away, the two of them scurried up the ramp and into the cap like a pair of rats going for the same half of a hot dog, and capped out before the heavies knew what happened. The heavies drove right by and never saw them in the bush only a few feet from their cap circle. I don't know how they weren't proxy spotted. 

ThePigSheFlies #36 Posted Mar 29 2020 - 00:25

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles

View PostTrakks, on Mar 28 2020 - 18:02, said:

The camo on the Even 90 is massively broken. I saw a video recently, I think on Claus's channel, where a pair of them sat in a bush on Abbey and just waited for the enemy heavies that were sitting on the cap to move off and when they were far enough away, the two of them scurried up the ramp and into the cap like a pair of rats going for the same half of a hot dog, and capped out before the heavies knew what happened. The heavies drove right by and never saw them in the bush only a few feet from their cap circle. I don't know how they weren't proxy spotted. 

proxy spotting is a server side calculation, and purely and simply it happens at < 50m.  the answer to how they weren't spotted, is that nobody drove within 50m of them.

oldewolfe #37 Posted Mar 29 2020 - 16:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 27249 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Trust me, you wanna see a Bunch of Tanks Played "Wrong" and Made to Work somehow, I have a Ton on YouTube....      lol

I'm Allowed though, since I'm Lousy at Tanks....     :P

leeuniverse #38 Posted Mar 29 2020 - 23:22

Major

• Players
  • 42304 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP
To be clear, I still hate the tank, but I've gotten used to it's "putting around", and it gives me a good WN8 now, so I'm tolerating it.  LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users