T-29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

doom44 #1 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
When I first saw this tank, I cracked up. It's turret was so huge it was hilarious. But then I saw what kind of guns it had and I was impressed. Is this heavy a good tank, and what is it's role? (My best guess is that it is a sniper, because 75% of the tanks in WoT are a sniper).

CharlieFoxtrot #2 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:37

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdoom44, on Sep 28 2011 - 17:28, said:

When I first saw this tank, I cracked up. It's turret was so huge it was hilarious. But then I saw what kind of guns it had and I was impressed. Is this heavy a good tank, and what is it's role? (My best guess is that it is a sniper, because 75% of the tanks in WoT are a sniper).

The t29 is a magical SUPPORT tank :-) Go hull down with this baby and the heavens open up and angels come down and sing for you. All joke aside though...this tank is one of my favorites. Once the 105 is mounted it really is a fantastic tank to play. If you go assault with it though, be careful. It has tin can sides.
I HIGHLY recommend getting this tank (even thought the grind through the T1 and M6 are abismal).
Just my two cents worth.

doom44 #3 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Cool, and yes, my T1 heavy is not very fun, and the M6 is probably no better.
So is it true that the T-29's turret is virtually impenetrable?

Zozon #4 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:43

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Yup my favorite tank too,when i am done with T30 grind i will get it again.

VirgilHilts #5 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdoom44, on Sep 28 2011 - 17:41, said:

Cool, and yes, my T1 heavy is not very fun, and the M6 is probably no better.
So is it true that the T-29's turret is virtually impenetrable?

The T29 is a great all around heavy tank, especially once you have it fully equipped and elited.

The M6 is a great tank as well. Do not rush through the M6, elite it, run it, use it to learn heavy tank tactics and train your crew. The M6 becomes quite different once you have the M3 90MM.

You'll find the upgraded U.S. turrets to be difficult to penetrate from the front, some even from the rear, but none really from the sides. Never assume any part of any tank is impenetrable. Sure, protect your weak hull when you run your U.S. heavy tank. But do not assume because your hull is protected that you are safe, invulnerable, or impenetrable.

Avocet #6 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've held off two Lowes and a Tiger II alone at a choke point in which I was hull down behind a fallen SU-85. (They were too scared to rush me, which would have finished me quickly). They resorted to firing HE at my turret because their AP rounds weren't penetrating. Eventually, the Tiger II realized he could charge me and negate my hull-down advantage. That was the end for me. But by that time, I had killed one Lowe, taken the other one down to 20%, and taken the Tiger II down to about 50%. My team won the match in a close fight, and the enemy Lowes took to all-battle chat to express their dislike of T29s.

So yes, the hull-down T29 with the 105 is something to fear. Not invincible, but close to it.

As for getting there, the T1 is actually really good if you play it as a tough medium, not a soft heavy. I didn't have as much success with the M6, mostly because I got unlucky with MM. Most matches were vs. tier 8 and 9 instead of vs. 6 and below. The M6 isn't terrible, but it is a big soft target for high-tier tanks.

Altwar #7 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 17:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostVirgilHilts, on Sep 28 2011 - 17:49, said:

The T29 is a great all around heavy tank, especially once you have it fully equipped and elited.

The M6 is a great tank as well. Do not rush through the M6, elite it, run it, use it to learn heavy tank tactics and train your crew. The M6 becomes quite different once you have the M3 90MM.

In agreement that the M6 is a pretty good tank. While it's still a bit T1-like with it's squish armor, it's actually tougher and is able to deal significant damage to tiers 6-8, and will dominate vs the lower tiers.  Also, if you spend the time at the M6 level to train your crew to a secondary skill, you'll do much better when you get in the T-29 and start seeing those upper tiered tanks on a regular basis.

L_G_Pool #8 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 18:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T29 used to be a real beast when it first came out. Due to massive whining from soviet drivers, it was nerfed. Then nerfed again. And another time after that.  So yes, it does have some real advantages, but they are negated by 3 nerfs and SPG's.

nublex #9 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 18:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAltwar, on Sep 28 2011 - 17:59, said:

In agreement that the M6 is a pretty good tank. While it's still a bit T1-like with it's squish armor, it's actually tougher and is able to deal significant damage to tiers 6-8, and will dominate vs the lower tiers.  Also, if you spend the time at the M6 level to train your crew to a secondary skill, you'll do much better when you get in the T-29 and start seeing those upper tiered tanks on a regular basis.
Except you have a second loader instead of gunner, but that is minor.

The only if not the biggest flaw of T29 is its extremely vulnerable flank and rather large ammo rack hit box, making it less ideal in offense.

Altwar #10 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 18:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postnublex, on Sep 28 2011 - 18:40, said:

Except you have a second loader instead of gunner, but that is minor.

Good point nublex.  I'd forgotten about that, but I do now have a well experienced gunner now sitting in my barracks because of that and the rest of the crew are lagging in increasing in their own experience because I had to take on a 75% trained loader to make up for that.  

I haven't looked at the successive heavies on the tree and how their crew disposition is, because now that I think of it, he just might be unemployed for the rest of my gaming since my T29 crew will move up to next heavy when I get there and all my mediums already have their own dedicated crew.

VirgilHilts #11 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 19:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostAltwar, on Sep 28 2011 - 18:49, said:

Good point nublex.  I'd forgotten about that, but I do now have a well experienced gunner now sitting in my barracks because of that and the rest of the crew are lagging in increasing in their own experience because I had to take on a 75% trained loader to make up for that.  

I haven't looked at the successive heavies on the tree and how their crew disposition is, because now that I think of it, he just might be unemployed for the rest of my gaming since my T29 crew will move up to next heavy when I get there and all my mediums already have their own dedicated crew.

The T32 and T34 have the same crew arrangement as the T29. I just keep using the majority of the M6 crew, and one guy from the T29. I train the new M6 crew to 75%, and the new T29 guy to 75%, and start over. I can usually field the next new tank with a 90% crew with two skills, the T29 doesn't really suffer, and not for long since I have "rapid crew training" or what ever they call it enabled on all of my tanks except the newest. The M6 crew is up to 100% quickly, as is the one guy on the T29. Then they start secondary skills.

As long and horrid as the T34 grind is, I'm sure I'll have a full crew available from the M6 and the T29 with two skills, if I ever get to the T30, which is doubtful since I'm pretty sure I'll park the T34 before I ever even get the 120MM.

Gyarados #12 Posted Sep 28 2011 - 20:49

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
I wouldn't regard the T29 as a support tank unless it's in a Tier IX battle. Otherwise it's a pretty viable assault tank. The hull is weak, but in Tier VII, it's not in comparison. The turret is wtfpowerful and the hull isn't much weaker than the rest of the tanks in the tier range. The T5E1 is a fantastic gun for the T29, and it was even better when the average damage was 360 (really made a difference). It's not too slow for it's tier and it has decent camo for a heavy tank.

You can't bounce everything and multiple small tanks will absolutely wreck you, but being a supported tank, the T29 is absolutely monstrous.

Mow_Mow #13 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 02:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The turret is VERY powerful for its tier. Its not invincible against tier 9/10 tanks but it's pretty close. The front is decent against tier 6 German medium guns (they will bounce occasionally), but the tradeoff is that your sides and rear are massively weak. It also comes with a very powerful gun for its tier (105mm gun). Play the T29, and the lessons it teaches you will serve you well when you play the rest of the USA Heavy tree.

conductiv #14 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 02:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
while I never played the tank myself it is a very effective frontline tank. when arty is knocked out a T-29 controls critical positions like no other. they have extremely tough turrets to deal with from a distance. overall they have the best effective armor for a T7, as the IS and tigers can attempt hull down tactics..their turrets are simply to weak to hold back any gun T6 or higher. and its pretty hard for the tiger P to keep the enemy focused at his hull.

mayor downsides for them.
-they seem to be somewhat sluggish in the acceleration area. once tracked its difficult for them to get going again.
-weakspots on the turret from close range..makes it a exelent hull down tank at medium-long distance..but close range the ears etc. start screaming "hit me"
-shares a common T7 heavy weakness, weak side armor.
-huge turret and size, it might have enough armor to bounce a lot..but its so big its hard to miss with sizable HE shells.

in general make sure you have the enemy on 1 side of you..don't get flanked. go hull down at a reasonable distance and you're hard to dislodge, especially if there is no arty..or you're position is hard to hit for arty.

I can't really say much about their offensive capabilities, my mediums seem to get hit all the time and penetrated by a T-29's shells with relative ease, but mediums are almost always easy to pen and even the most inaccurate guns eventually hit me. but if they hop from hull down to hull down position and I can't get behind them they are difficult to deal with.

ziljan_laserna12 #15 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 11:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It's a beast of a tank,currently the best tier 7 heavy guarantee!  :Smile_great:  
Always go hull-down,go for the 105mm gun first then the turret,engines are not really that important as i still could max out 35 kph with stock engine.

Johnny_Mars #16 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 13:11

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The T29 is one of the best vehicles in the game. Just make sure you unlock the 90mm before you ditch your M6.

nublex #17 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 22:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostJohnny_Mars, on Sep 29 2011 - 13:11, said:

The T29 is one of the best vehicles in the game. Just make sure you unlock the 90mm before you ditch your M6.
If you rank 20 of them, or just heavies (probably still need 10 places).

doom44 #18 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 02:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am struggling to get this tank, but the T1 is so bad my head hurts from all the face-palming. :facepalmic:

Zinegata #19 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 06:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Don't go through the T1. Instead, get the Sherman, then the Jumbo, then the M6 before hitting the T-29. The T1 isn't that horrible if you get used to it, but it is a more painful grind than the Sherman - which you should keep as a money-making tank anyway.

Also, the T-29 is an extraordinary tank capable of fulfilling a wide variety of missions. Personally speaking however, I feel that the T29 acts best as a frontline tank. The massive armor and respectable HP lets you take hits from even Tier 10 tanks (as long as you hide your weak spots properly), and the gun can penetrate higher tier enemies if properly aimed.

I have very many instances where I reached a "corner" spot all alone (i.e. the north hill of El Aluf), encountered three or four Tier 7/8/9 heavies, and held them at a complete standstill with some artillery/sniper support.

Moreover, even if you get damaged, you're still taking hits that may have destroyed other weaker tanks in your team instead. It's really the first tank in the American heavy line (and possibly ANY line) that can win a match all on its own regardless of how badly the matchmaker treats it.

Flashram #20 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 07:41

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
From my experience the T-29 front hull (102 armor) is broken. It's impenetrable. I cannot penetrate with either 107mm, 100mm or 122mm russian guns, which have 167/175 penetration respectively from even 10m away, shooting upper or below. I know people will come out and call "but it's sloped", but that doesn't change the fact that you cannot penetrate it. You might as well change it from 102mm to 279mm to reflect that you might as well just shoot HE at it. The next penetration gun in line is the BL-9 with 225mm, which is only available on Tier 8, IS-3, tho I wouldn't be surprised if that bounces off too due to "but it's sloped". If a T-29 appears in front of me I might as well give up.