When should I stop progressing tiers?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

JakeBaby #1 Posted Mar 30 2020 - 23:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles

Hello. I am an absolutely awful player. I have 400~ some games and Imy highest tier tank is an O-I Experimental. As I continually advance through the tiers, I was wondering where I should stop getting higher tier vehicles. Since I am so bad, if I were to play a higher tier battle, I would severely be letting my teammates down with my lack of skill. I want to at which tier I should stop progressing so I do not perform very badly in higher tier games.

Sorry for being a noob.

dnaman #2 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 00:08

Major

• Players
  • 34294 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
400 games is nothing.  Give yourself a few thousand battles at tier V or maybe VI to work on skills.  Then head up lines once you have more of the game mechanics down.  It’s a very complex game and it takes time to learn.  I was an abject noob for probably 5000-7000 battles or so.  Lots of YouTube videos available to help you learn.  Also do the bootcamp under the gear in the upper left of your garage.  It will help a little too.

MrBeetleBumEntertainment #3 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 00:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4 battles

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 30 2020 - 23:59, said:

Hello. I am an absolutely awful player. I have 400~ some games and Imy highest tier tank is an O-I Experimental. As I continually advance through the tiers, I was wondering where I should stop getting higher tier vehicles. Since I am so bad, if I were to play a higher tier battle, I would severely be letting my teammates down with my lack of skill. I want to at which tier I should stop progressing so I do not perform very badly in higher tier games.

Sorry for being a noob.

I talk with new players all the time and the number one thing I recommend to them is this.

After playing say 50-100 games in all 5 class types decide which class you want to play first. Then decide what country of that class you want to play, then start the grind from tier 1 to tier 5 and then stay there for a few thousand games in that tier 5 tank. that way you will learn the mechanics as you learn the tank and you will also gain a few crew skills for your crew before taking them up to tier 6 and higher. In the higher tiers you need lots of crew skills because all the enimies who have played longer will surly have tons already.

if you have any questions at all about the game I stream almost nightly at 7pm eastern time (now) at https://www.twitch.tv/mrbeetlebum

SKurj #4 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 00:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

run as many lines as you can lets say to tier 5-6 and see what you think.  it will take a few thousand games to learn the maps and just a few lines up the mid tiers.

in the end its what you enjoy, if you like it, keep going.  if you are getting clobbered all the time and frustrated back up abit go back to lower tiers and play more.   You do not have to grind all the way up the lines, there are some players who never bother going past the mid tiers, with probably alot more than 10x the number of battles that you have.

Watch lots of streamers for tips and advice and map tactics.

AndrewSledge #5 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 00:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 38849 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD

A good rule of thumb is to try to always do your own hit points in damage each battle. So if your tank has 400 HP, try to do that in each battle you play. There's a medal called 'Fire for Effect', which is for doing exactly that in a battle.

Once you are earning those in most every battle, win or lose, you can feel free to move up a tier. If you aren't currently doing that at your highest tier, you might think about dropping a tier or two until you can achieve that fairly consistently.

DanielA13 #6 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 01:15

Captain

• Players
  • 14543 battles
  • [CIRC] CIRC

View PostAndrewSledge, on Mar 30 2020 - 17:14, said:

A good rule of thumb is to try to always do your own hit points in damage each battle. So if your tank has 400 HP, try to do that in each battle you play. There's a medal called 'Fire for Effect', which is for doing exactly that in a battle.

Once you are earning those in most every battle, win or lose, you can feel free to move up a tier. If you aren't currently doing that at your highest tier, you might think about dropping a tier or two until you can achieve that fairly consistently.

^^ This is pretty solid advice.  I wouldn't worry too much right away.  I didn't start making the turn until about 10,000 battles.  Also, most stats are relative anyway.  WN8 doesn't matter as much at 400 battles. At 40,000 it would be fairly accurate, but not now.  Even if you are slow to learn, most clans would focus on your recent stats, so fear not.  Not everyone is insanely good, and that's okay.  Admitting there is room for improvement is a big step.  Also, accumulating XP will slow down your progression a lot anyway, don't expect to fly up to tier 10.

Pipinghot #7 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 01:28

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 30 2020 - 17:59, said:

You're not awful, you're new, cut yourself some slack.

WoT looks easy, but it's not. This is a game of pure competition and no one is going to let you win for free, so it's more brutal than most games.

Here's what I tell people about battle count.

0-1,000 battles - Newbie

Do not pay attention to your win rate, pay attention to learning the game. Don't go above Tier V.

Start looking at the wiki page on Battle Mechanics.

https://wiki.wargami...attle_Mechanics

Don't think you can learn it all in a few weeks, you can't. Bookmark that page and refer back to it whenever something in the game happens that is confusing. That page can help you solve a lot of mysteries.

1,000-2,500 battles - student

Don't pay much attention to your win rate, except as a guide to tell you whether you're ready to move up to higher tiers.

This is the time when you should be reading the wiki more seriously. Use the Battle Mechanics page as a study guide. Read a section, see if there's anything new you've learned that you need to practice in battles. Play about 10 battles specifically with the goal practicing each new thing that you learn.

Also, of course, check out guides and videos.

You are the only person who can decide how good you want to be. Are you happy with a 45% Win Rate? Then keep moving up to new tiers as long as you meet your own personal goal. Do you want to have a 60% Win Rate? Get ready to do a lot of work and move up very slowly. So basically, set a goal that is reasonable (maybe 50-52% is good for now) you don't want this to turn into a job. Then when you're happy with your progress you move up to the next tier.

2,501-5,000 - apprentice

By this time you should have a pretty good idea of how good you are, how good you want to be, and now much work it's going to take if you want to become that good.

5,000-10,000 - journeyman

This is when you're really starting to move up the tiers. Each tier in this game gets harder, so don't be in a hurry. Lots of players don't get their first Tier X tank until well after 10,000 battles.

10,000+ - Experienced

There are two kind of "Experienced" players.

* People who have played a lot of battles and still never figured out the game

* People who have been working on learning as they play and progress.

Just remember, do not rush up the tiers. WoT is not like other games, you don't get to the top tier and then figure out how to get good at the game, that is a recipe for frustration and heartache. If you're the kind of person who is motivated by constantly getting your butt kicked, then go ahead and rush up to Tier X. But if you're the kind of person (like most people) who likes actually winning games and doing well as you learn and make progress through the game, then take your time.

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 30 2020 - 17:59, said:

Sorry for being a noob.

You're not a noob, you're a newbie. Everyone had to be new at first, just take time so that you can enjoy learning and progressing.

An_old_slow_guy #8 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 02:06

Captain

• Players
  • 66390 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS
At lower tiers the economics of the game (credit earning) are in your favor.  Not many fire or use many gold rounds at low tiers.  That all starts to change say around tier 8 - which also happens to be where most premium tanks are sold.  Rushing up to top tiers (8-10) without at least a fully trained 3-4 skill crew is not recommended.  It really does take several thousand games to learn this game (maps, camo and spotting mechanics, aiming and shooting, using your armor effectively, using your tank effectively.  Tactics and how you play differ by vehicle type ( light, med, heavy, td, arty).  As I stated at the beginning, it is affordable to play lower tiers to learn - take advantage of that.  If you want to experiment with a tier 8 premium - feel free to do so - it can serve as a good gauge of how far you've progressed or indicate how much more you need to learn. There are plenty of you tube videos from unicums and average joes to help you along. 

dunniteowl #9 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 04:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 30 2020 - 16:59, said:

Sorry for being a noob.

You can learn at any tier.  However, I think you should mostly stop going upwards WHEN you have this sort of question and consideration on your mind.  I would take a look at my tiers and my tanks and see which ones that I played more than 50 battles I did my best?  If I didn't have ANY units (in your case, this is very likely, I'd say) that I played more than 50 battles, I would look at those with the highest battle counts that I did the best in playing.

Look for patterns.  Were your best tanks ALL similar in play style to each other?  Were they all in one or two classes?  With so few battles it's going to be hard to find any definitive patterns as the stats are more helpful to pick up trends and generalities relative to what you do and how you do it.

I recommend spending time reading through the links and printed information in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) that I put together (I didn't make the materials, I just took what I thought were the Best, Core Basic Information about the game and Relevant, Easy to Understand Advice and Explanations on How to Tank Better, both in text as guides and video as YT Fellow WoT Players who teach, train, mentor and review for others).

Right now, the ONE thing I can safely say is that the stuff in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) is stuff you need to know in order to play your best.  And I can also pretty safely say, "You don't already know this stuff."  Hell, there are players out there with 40,000 + matches under their digital belts who don't know this stuff.

I would be happy to look through your profile and make some recommendations on things to focus on and see if there might be some 'tea leaves' advice I can also provide in that regard.

Most importantly, though, don't let this desire to improve your play ruin your ability to have fun.  The stuff in The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) was used by Me in order to find that part of the game I thought I had lost before I decided to play better.  I wasn't having fun and I almost quit the game.  So I decided to 'get gud' as it were and find out what I didn't know about the game.

I started living longer and surviving more games.

I started doing more damage and getting more kills.

I started having more wins than losses and earning a LOT more XP and Credits

Most importantly, though, The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) also allowed me to have More FUN!

Let me know if you're interested in an 'analysis' of your profile stats.  I can do that here in the thread or via PM.  Your call.  I promise to be as helpful as possible and not be unnecessarily critical (which is hard for me to do, really -- be really critical -- I do my best to provide useful, helpful tips on how to improve, not rail on all that is going wrong).

In any case, read through that stuff in the linked package.  You can't go wrong with knowing more about how the game works.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Mar 31 2020 - 04:52.

Trakks #10 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 10:01

Captain

• Players
  • 5125 battles

Tiers 9 and 10 are hard to play profitably if you don't have a premium account so if you don't want to pay, then tier 8 is probably where you should stop, and preferably you should have at least one really good tier 8 premium tank in your garage to use for when you need a quick infusion of credits. 

View PostAn_old_slow_guy, on Mar 31 2020 - 01:06, said:

At lower tiers the economics of the game (credit earning) are in your favor.  Not many fire or use many gold rounds at low tiers.  That all starts to change say around tier 8 - which also happens to be where most premium tanks are sold.  Rushing up to top tiers (8-10) without at least a fully trained 3-4 skill crew is not recommended.  It really does take several thousand games to learn this game (maps, camo and spotting mechanics, aiming and shooting, using your armor effectively, using your tank effectively.  Tactics and how you play differ by vehicle type ( light, med, heavy, td, arty).  As I stated at the beginning, it is affordable to play lower tiers to learn - take advantage of that.  If you want to experiment with a tier 8 premium - feel free to do so - it can serve as a good gauge of how far you've progressed or indicate how much more you need to learn. There are plenty of you tube videos from unicums and average joes to help you along. 

You obviously don't play low tiers much if you don't think there is a lot of gold spam down there. :D

JakeBaby #11 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 19:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles

Thank you all for your responses.

How much will it help if I have a mouse. I use my trackpad currently and I have noticed it is hard to control and any easy shots are usually messed up by my poor ability to aim correctly and even when I do get it aimed, the opponent has already taken cover.

SKurj #12 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 19:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 31 2020 - 13:02, said:

How much will it help if I have a mouse. I use my trackpad currently and I have noticed it is hard to control and any easy shots are usually messed up by my poor ability to aim correctly and even when I do get it aimed, the opponent has already taken cover.

I can't make the comparison, oo do you mean like the pad on a laptop?  yeah get a mouse asap...    

Edited by SKurj, Mar 31 2020 - 19:09.

Burhead06 #13 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 19:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13402 battles
keep in mind battle count =/= skill , i have a friend who is new to the game , sub 1k games , but because he actually tries to learn the game he's a better player than a number of people ive seen with even more games than i do.

pay more attention to how comfortable you feel  with game mechanics and less about pure number of games you have played. make an effort to learn things like side scraping , angling armor , abusing spotting mechanics like bushes etc... once you feel comfortable with things like that move up , if it takes you 500 more games to do it then so be it , if it takes you 2k more games then so be it.

BoghieWanKanobie #14 Posted Mar 31 2020 - 20:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9852 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 31 2020 - 13:02, said:

Bro, get a mouse quick like :teethhappy:.  While you are at it you might want to look a a 'gamers mouse'.  Kinda silly sounding, but you can map the extra buttons on those mice to frequently used hotkeys - like voice comm, repair track, target tank, etc..  I use a Razor Deathadder Chroma, but there are other good ones out there.  In fact, I used to watch a stream where a guy had one hand (the other was severely impaired).  He had like eight thumb buttons - and he made it work.

Also, you have received great advice.  Here are some metrics I try to use:

• Average is 48%.  Don't bump a tier till you have at least a 48% (I usually try for 50%) WR in your current tier.
  • I try to get at least 100 points of damage per tier.  That is low, the goal should be your hit points - but you have to start somewhere.
  • And, as you bump tiers you get new maps.  Learn their 'meta' before bumping up a tier.  Learn a decent number of spots/areas that work for you.

Finally, these folks are correct.  It does take thousands of games to learn this thang.  I know.  I got me 9K+ now and I still get schooled.  However, that battle count is not as ungodly as it sounds.  If you follow the above advice you will find yourself with five+ Tier V tanks pretty quickly.  Play them all, but focus on two or three that you really enjoy.  Then spread out.  You will find yourself with 5K games of experience in no time.  However, remember that practice CAN make perfect - but it can also make the very imperfect permanent.  You don't want to do that.  Find a good player, a good YouTuber, a good streamer that seems to match your style - another benefit of playing lots of games - and work at it a bit.  It does not have to turn into a 6pm - 11pm job, but it is more fun when you know what you are doing.

Happy Hunting

Trakks #15 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 01:23

Captain

• Players
  • 5125 battles

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 31 2020 - 18:02, said:

Buy yourself a USB mouse. Trackpads are hard to use in a game that is designed for a mouse. 

dunniteowl #16 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 01:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 31 2020 - 12:02, said:

I had to disable my trackpad on my laptop and used a wireless mouse on the space between the keyboard, the trackpad and the number pad (about 5"W x 2.5"H).  trackpad caused all manner of trouble with steady aim, unintended fired shots and slow response to commands that it made it nearly impossible to play and have any fun.

Definitely get a mouse, wired if you can manage it, however, I have no real issues with my wireless mouse other than dying battery freezeup once or twice while playing.

Makes a YUUUGGEE difference!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

headstash #17 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 03:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 38189 battles
  • [419] 419
tier 1.  seriously, uninstall this crap and download a real game.  power creep, crazy unbalanced tech trees, overpowered 'premium' tanks(PAY TO WIN) that literally cost as much as buying a new console game each.   this game looks nice, but it's a communist company that doesn't give a crap about your freedom of speech.  they sell premium tanks that perform amazingly for a month or so, then they don't seem to measure up anymore... hmmmm.  BAIT AND SWITCH.  STOP LETTING THEM MILK YOU!

Edited by headstash, Apr 01 2020 - 03:42.

snailcrusher #18 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 15:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5918 battles

Hi Jakebaby,

Don't focus on Tiers or Tanks.

Focus on Tanks Crews.  You can have the best Tank, but unless you a Crew with at least two full Skills/Perks you will do poorly in it.

The more Skills/Perks you have the better you will do.  It's like magic.

Check your Ping.  If you have high Ping you are a disadvantage.  The best players have Ping in the 20-30.

Check your Settings.  Quickybaby has a good youtube video on what settings to use.  By reducing all of the special effects you can reduce a lot of the clutter that's distracting.  Makes it much easier to see enemy tanks.  There is also color blind mode.  I like to remove music during battle.  That way I can focus more on the battle.

Think carefully before getting a new tank.  There are a lot of duds.

JakeBaby #19 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 19:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 01 2020 - 01:36, said:

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Ok, what does "OvO" mean? and HSYBF? I looked that one up but it just brought me onto a page were you posted and said that. Is it "Hope to See you on the Battle Field"? Figured it could be with the context on that post. 

SKurj #20 Posted Apr 01 2020 - 22:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

View PostJakeBaby, on Apr 01 2020 - 13:10, said:

Ok, what does "OvO" mean? and HSYBF? I looked that one up but it just brought me onto a page were you posted and said that. Is it "Hope to See you on the Battle Field"? Figured it could be with the context on that post. 

Thats his little owl thingy...  OvO...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users