When should I stop progressing tiers?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #21 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 02:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostJakeBaby, on Apr 01 2020 - 12:10, said:

Ok, what does "OvO" mean? and HSYBF? I looked that one up but it just brought me onto a page were you posted and said that. Is it "Hope to See you on the Battle Field"? Figured it could be with the context on that post. 

Hope to

See

You on the

Battle

Field!

Who who whoo could this be?   OvO  Wait!  Let me 'colorize' it for you:  OvO  Now look back and forth from this to my avatar...

Think about it for a moment.  It's a visual, not an Acronym.

(It's ME! of course, the image of the owl)

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

dunniteowl #22 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 02:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostSKurj, on Apr 01 2020 - 15:24, said:

Thats his little owl thingy...  OvO...

Hey, hey, no looking at my little owl thingy, alright?  That's PRIVATE!  Geez.  It was cold that day, okay?

OvO

Meliae #23 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 02:57

Private

• Players
  • 4 battles
  • [1RPD] 1RPD

View PostJakeBaby, on Mar 30 2020 - 23:59, said:

Hello. I am an absolutely awful player. I have 400~ some games and Imy highest tier tank is an O-I Experimental. As I continually advance through the tiers, I was wondering where I should stop getting higher tier vehicles. Since I am so bad, if I were to play a higher tier battle, I would severely be letting my teammates down with my lack of skill. I want to at which tier I should stop progressing so I do not perform very badly in higher tier games.

Sorry for being a noob.

Perfectly reasonable question. Experiment where you feel you're best at, then expand from there, play what's comfortable for you. It's a free to play game, play whatever you want., whenever you want, however long you want, ignore the nay-sayers & other negative jerks. Easy peasy.

JakeBaby #24 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 18:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles

View PostMeliae, on Apr 02 2020 - 02:57, said:

Perfectly reasonable question. Experiment where you feel you're best at, then expand from there, play what's comfortable for you. It's a free to play game, play whatever you want., whenever you want, however long you want, ignore the nay-sayers & other negative jerks. Easy peasy.

4 battle on your account, alright

SKurj #25 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 18:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

View PostJakeBaby, on Apr 02 2020 - 12:17, said:

4 battle on your account, alright

he still isn't wrong...

a few people around here have multiple accounts

SquishySupreme #26 Posted Apr 02 2020 - 19:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4477 battles

A couple of things to add:

- Play plain vanilla client as much as you can.  The reason is that you need to focus on the game and not skill levels or anything like that.
- Become one with your inner frog.  Keep one eye on the mini-map at all times and the other on the enemies.
- Watch the match to the end after you get killed - this is the best tutorial because you can see you your teammates screw up and hopefully don't make the same mistakes. 
- The game is designed around you needing to buy premium time, so wait for a 20 or 30% off coupon and buy 6 months of time for a bit less than a game at Gamestop.  This will make your life as a new player vastly easier, mostly because of the money that rolls in allowing you to buy equipment and upgrades.  Or you can buy a game for your console, grind through it in a week and be out the same money.  As online games go, this is very inexpensive entertainment.
- You will eventually need exactly one T8 premium tank.  There are ways to get one for free or virtually no cost(usually via a grind).  Don't rush to buy one now, but you will need one to play Frontline and other modes efficiently, as well as make credits. 
- Be very aware of any special reward equipment that you receive.  Some of it does not have a de-mounting cost.  I have three sets of binos that I swap around between tanks and never will sell. This saved me a lot of credits.
- Play SPGs as well.  You need to know how to play them for at least 300-500 battles before even attempting T9 or T10 in order to know where on the maps they aim and more importantly, where they cannot.

JakeBaby #27 Posted Apr 03 2020 - 01:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles
what's "vanilla client" is that like no mods?

SquishySupreme #28 Posted Apr 03 2020 - 06:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4477 battles

Yes.  Learn to play with just you and the mini-map.  XVM and other things are just distractions for you at this level.  I do recommend turning on the high zoom option in the menus as well as disabling voice chat to keep the toxicity down.

SKurj #29 Posted Apr 03 2020 - 13:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ
Yep plus one for the poster above, play the game without mods, look around for youtubes on how to set your settings and such, but that's enough.  Mods just add little quality of life things, and in some case huge negatives... stick with vanilla.  worry about that stuff later.

HellsB3lls #30 Posted Apr 07 2020 - 21:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5942 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 01 2020 - 20:42, said:

Hey, hey, no looking at my little owl thingy, alright?  That's PRIVATE!  Geez.  It was cold that day, okay?

OvO

Definitely some shrinkage going on there if that's your "little owly thing", rather than eyes and beak.:D

RedneckMech911 #31 Posted May 13 2020 - 21:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1741 battles

Fellow newbie here.

Lots of good advice in this post! I think I need to heed Pipinghot's suggestions. I have admittedly been clawing at the tiers to get to the higher tiered tanks and I've gotten my [edited]waxed more times than I'd like to count. This is definitely not a "install and be good after a few games" point and shoot game. There's A LOT more to it than I ever thought. WG has done a good job, IMO, with the game mechanics and how each tank and each ind of gun/ammo reacts with one another.

As for mice, I use a Logitech MX Master and it's super nice. Smooth operation and the rechargeable battery lasts a long time. Even if I have to charge it, it's still usable.

Just my $.02. Thanks guys for all the advice. I'll definitely be busting my [edited]back down to tier 1 & 2 and practice, practice, practice.

CrossHyparu #32 Posted May 22 2020 - 19:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6655 battles
Don't progress past a tank you do not know how to play. Learn how to use it before moving on to the next one, because if you don't you're going to have a really hard time playing the further up the line you go. I just finished a game where someone had a fully upgraded IS-3 in a tier 8 game and had no idea how to play it. He sandbagged the entire game at the back of the map and just waited until he got ambushed (of course with the general "everyone on my team sucks" nonsense). Don't be that guy. Learn your tanks.

JakeBaby #33 Posted May 22 2020 - 22:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 707 battles
A small update i guess: I haven't really played much as school has kept me busy and when not doing school I've been grinding out blitz (the device is more accessible for me atm)[i also have 2k battles, so I'm a bit more comfortable over there]. I have gotten a mouse, as well as the O-I a little while ago [man, i LOVE that thing]. I have downloaded and played the test server just for kicks (just to play tier 10 hehe) and got a good 50 battles in takin up my whole day! Anyways, My break is coming up in a few weeks, and I have plenty of motivation to play since I haven't played in a while. But yeah sums it up for me todayy.

uberdice #34 Posted May 23 2020 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 28234 battles

You should max out at tier 6 until you're consistently doing your tank's hitpoints in damage, minimum.

Don't move up if you're not comfortable fighting from bottom tier, because that tells you you're probably not ready to start facing a whole new tier of tanks that will rip your face off if you make any mistakes.

Also don't move up if you're not comfortable carrying your team when you're top tier.

Contrary to popular belief, bad players actually do not benefit from being top-tier, because in addition to struggling to carry their own weight, they now have to carry a whole bunch of other people with them. Don't get too hung up on that. When you're comfortable being the little fish, you can start working on how to play as the big fish.

At this point, if you're averaging about 5 minutes a match, you're 50 hours into the game. It's fine for you to start thinking about how you can be better. Don't pay too much attention to people who insist that it's fine to be bad while you're under whatever number of battles. Practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent.

Burhead06 #35 Posted May 23 2020 - 02:44

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13402 battles
@OP i'd say focus less on total # of battles , and more about how comfortable you are with the game mechanics , and more specifically the ones that are relevent to the tanks you are playing. some learn faster than others. get comfortable with the tank you are in. shoot to do your hp in damage , if you can get your hp in damage even half the time its probably safe to move up in tiers. people aren't expecting you to have blue stats in tanks. but being competent is the general hope.

also yeah , maxing the tank out helps alot too.

dunniteowl #36 Posted May 23 2020 - 03:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View Postuberdice, on May 22 2020 - 18:32, said:

You should max out at tier 6 until you're consistently doing your tank's hitpoints in damage, minimum.

Don't move up if you're not comfortable fighting from bottom tier, because that tells you you're probably not ready to start facing a whole new tier of tanks that will rip your face off if you make any mistakes.

Also don't move up if you're not comfortable carrying your team when you're top tier.

Contrary to popular belief, bad players actually do not benefit from being top-tier, because in addition to struggling to carry their own weight, they now have to carry a whole bunch of other people with them. Don't get too hung up on that. When you're comfortable being the little fish, you can start working on how to play as the big fish.

At this point, if you're averaging about 5 minutes a match, you're 50 hours into the game. It's fine for you to start thinking about how you can be better. Don't pay too much attention to people who insist that it's fine to be bad while you're under whatever number of battles. Practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent.

^^^    QFT    ^^^

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Gtraxeman #37 Posted May 23 2020 - 17:27

Captain

• Players
  • 38495 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
So much good advice here. Enjoy that OI, Jakebaby. Its a great newbie friendly tank and will get damage and crit missions done.
Also for new players, i highly recommend playing on the SA server, to practicw against bots. Tier 4 and below has many fill in bots. They tend to wander and not always go to the "normal" tank areas. So you can see and explore more of the maps and not get nuked to early, being in the wrong places. The bots are pretty good, but will shoot special ammo at you at times. Contrary to popular belief, an average "bad" player is still better than the bots, so keep that in mind when playing real players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users